NotebookTalk

Official Clevo X170SM-G Thread

electrosoft

12 minutes ago, Bidelloman said:

You gotta edit the inf file to get that address. Nvcleanstall uses appdata local temp folder. Find the infs there

By now, this is a bit much! 😩

All my respect is yours, seriously! ✌️

Then maybe I'll try it.😉

◄►Clevo® X170SM-G + AIO Water SystemWin10 & 11 x64 Pro "Dual Boot" System◄►+ Pioneer®BDR-209EBK + RaidSonic®ICY BOX IB-550STU3S►LG®OLED55C9PLA "4K" 120Hz G-Sync 1MS►HP®DeskJet GT 5820 (X3B09A)◄►*.*

4 hours ago, Bidelloman said:

He definitely has gsync with 4k screen. Dynamic boost though, no idea.

Is it possible to know what model of the 4K display used for G-Sync works?

9 hours ago, MaxxD said:

Thanks!🙏

I chose and left that time because it was not good when rewritten. Written at 7714 was not good, so the 7715 remained.💪

376600_to2duzkpcmkuyudh_nvclean_install_

376600_h4vsxu2sasbjocfx_nv_driver_rdy4_n

376600_rnih196hdm550yzl_nv_driver_rdy4_n

376600_epfyascwc4pqk1ab_rtx3080_setup_ok

G-Sync and 165W TDP is OK! 😊

376600_kpnuoocgh3mhszc9_rtx3080_setup_ok

I also had a G-Sync, but it disappeared...I played with HDMI 2.1 and MDP 1.4 ports and since then it hasn't, and this hdmi port is not very good on the laptop. 😩

◄►Clevo® X170SM-G + AIO Water SystemWin10 & 11 x64 Pro "Dual Boot" System◄►+ Pioneer®BDR-209EBK + RaidSonic®ICY BOX IB-550STU3S►LG®OLED55C9PLA "4K" 120Hz G-Sync 1MS►HP®DeskJet GT 5820 (X3B09A)◄►*.*

14 hours ago, Pfudaniel said:

AUO309B

This corresponds to the panel with the id: B173ZAN03.0, but in the list of characteristics on the panelook website I do not see that it supports G-Sync, are you sure that it works correctly?

1 hour ago, MaxxD said:

I also had a G-Sync, but it disappeared...I played with HDMI 2.1 and MDP 1.4 ports and since then it hasn't

Initially, it seemed to work for you after installing the GPU with an external screen, probably the driver is not installed correctly, try to completely remove it and re-perform the installation procedure carefully following the steps from the video. I also hope that you have reset the BIOS settings to the default ones as you were advised above.

5 hours ago, MaxxD said:

By now, this is a bit much! 😩

All my respect is yours, seriously! ✌️

Then maybe I'll try it.😉

The main thing is not to give up, the community as a whole and people who have direct experience with this before can definitely help you to understand what the problem is.

• Thumb Up 1

1 hour ago, crz said:

Initially, it seemed to work for you after installing the GPU with an external screen, probably the driver is not installed correctly, try to completely remove it and re-perform the installation procedure carefully following the steps from the video. I also hope that you have reset the BIOS settings to the default ones as you were advised above.

The main thing is not to give up, the community as a whole and people who have direct experience with this before can definitely help you to understand what the problem is.

Yes, I used DDU for the full driver deletion. I re put that driver with the NVClean program, but it is not complete because it does not have the specific 3080 card on your list...so it is not complete!

BIOS was set to default at the beginning and left it.

You know, when one day a little bit of something and everything starts to mix. Especially if you don't get from one to two, you only have one place. There is no worse!😁😑

You have to find a solution to this problem, otherwise the machine would just be a discarded money that wouldn't make happiness like that!🥺

For performance/privacy/security reasons, would you disable ( in bios and else if present) the following:

--Intel SGX ( Software guard extension)

--Intel Management Engine ( though its disabled state in bios is not much more than placebo from what I read, and removing the driver in windows doesn't do much either, afaik system76 does remove it more or there's even this: https://github.com/corna/me_cleaner)

--TPM

Would trying to disable any or all of these cause problems elsewhere? Read around it could cause power state issues.

Thanks

12 hours ago, MaxxD said:

Yes, I used DDU for the full driver deletion. I re put that driver with the NVClean program, but it is not complete because it does not have the specific 3080 card on your list...so it is not complete!

BIOS was set to default at the beginning and left it.

You know, when one day a little bit of something and everything starts to mix. Especially if you don't get from one to two, you only have one place. There is no worse!😁😑

You have to find a solution to this problem, otherwise the machine would just be a discarded money that wouldn't make happiness like that!🥺

See it as you project laptop - you still have the other unit after all 🙂

Also no matter what you do you may want to back up your system very regularly as that would allow you to go back to previous states like the one where it looked like G-Sync might be working.

Personally I like to use Macrium Reflect for that and they should still have a 30 day trial version that will not cost you anything.

46 minutes ago, 1610ftw said:

See it as you project laptop - you still have the other unit after all 🙂

Also no matter what you do you may want to back up your system very regularly as that would allow you to go back to previous states like the one where it looked like G-Sync might be working.

Personally I like to use Macrium Reflect for that and they should still have a 30 day trial version that will not cost you anything.

Yes!
I am absolutely right.
Unfortunately, I didn't even think of that, another (PCS) X170 has Macrium Reflect 😛 

If there is nothing else, I can reset the system (because there is no reset point) or rather "reset" and that is faster (or not)

But this HDMI problem also bothers me!

I checked and there are 2 legs on each side that do not stand (only the end) and I would rather call them worn.

Now I cleaned it with alcohol and scrubbed it with a small brush, I hope it was just a contact error...if not, then the HDMI connector must be replaced!🤔

VIDEO

376600_utrtvgyddgkspr6r_hdmi_scrp_pin.jp

376600_ce2cwk5hfdlbammg_hdmi_scrp_2-2pin

12 hours ago, MaxxD said:

I think that first of all it's necessary to make sure that the specific BIOS version installed on the laptop really supports full GPU boost of 165 watts and G-Sync, since based on the actions that you did above and the final result, the problem may be caused not only by installing the driver. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some confusion in the versions or something else, unless of course it actually works completely correctly for someone.

"Prema BIOS" 

376600_jpifjmogsutbwkel_img_20240605_175

1 hour ago, MaxxD said:

Yes!
I am absolutely right.
Unfortunately, I didn't even think of that, another (PCS) X170 has Macrium Reflect 😛 

If there is nothing else, I can reset the system (because there is no reset point) or rather "reset" and that is faster (or not)

But this HDMI problem also bothers me!

I checked and there are 2 legs on each side that do not stand (only the end) and I would rather call them worn.

Now I cleaned it with alcohol and scrubbed it with a small brush, I hope it was just a contact error...if not, then the HDMI connector must be replaced!🤔

VIDEO

376600_utrtvgyddgkspr6r_hdmi_scrp_pin.jp

376600_ce2cwk5hfdlbammg_hdmi_scrp_2-2pin

Have you checked if it can output 4k 60 without issues?

If it does keep it as is and even if not you have two display port outputs that have higher bandwidth and can go up to 4K 120 which is more interesting anyway so this is not really a pressing issue.

6 minutes ago, 1610ftw said:

Have you checked if it can output 4k 60 without issues?

If it does keep it as is and even if not you have two display port outputs that have higher bandwidth and can go up to 4K 120 which is more interesting anyway so this is not really a pressing issue.

Yes, 4K 60 is fine, but 4K 120 is not.
HDMI port is only 2.0 and mPD 1.4 port.
In the case of mDP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1, you should know 4K/120Hz, but you don't. (watched)

There was a time when I looked at an external ThunderBolt 3 eGPU (Gigabyte Aorus Gaming Box RTX 3090) and it was capable of 4K/120Hz (the card already had HDMI 2.1 from the factory)

7 minutes ago, MaxxD said:

Yes, 4K 60 is fine, but 4K 120 is not.
HDMI port is only 2.0 and mPD 1.4 port.
In the case of mDP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1, you should know 4K/120Hz, but you don't. (watched)

There was a time when I looked at an external ThunderBolt 3 eGPU (Gigabyte Aorus Gaming Box RTX 3090) and it

was capable of 4K/120Hz (the card already had HDMI 2.1 from the factory)

Even the desktop 2080s only had HDMI output with up to 4K 60 so I would not expect the X170SM-G to be able to output more than 4K 60 so that seems to be OK.

Regarding the mini display ports 4K 120 is tricky due to bandwidth limitations - have you checked that it is outputting 12 bit 4:2:0? Anything more than that like RGB 8Bit will exceed the bandwidth limit of DP 1.4.

On the monitor side there may also be an issue with accepting 12 Bit 4:2:0 so you may want to check that, too.

TB3 gives you more options for the monitor but it will not be suitable for gaming at 4K 120,  I would definitely stay away.

5 minutes ago, 1610ftw said:

Even the desktop 2080s only had HDMI output with up to 4K 60 so I would not expect the X170SM-G to be able to output more than 4K 60 so that seems to be OK.

Regarding the mini display ports 4K 120 is tricky due to bandwidth limitations - have you checked that it is outputting 12 bit 4:2:0? Anything more than that like RGB 8Bit will exceed the bandwidth limit of DP 1.4.

On the monitor side there may also be an issue with accepting 12 Bit 4:2:0 so you may want to check that, too.

TB3 gives you more options for the monitor but it will not be suitable for gaming at 4K 120,  I would definitely stay away.

Exactly.

I haven't looked or tried that.

4K/120Hz was connected to the HDMI 2.1 port on the RTX 3090 card. 😉 

You will laugh, but I just turned on the zTecpc X170 and did not connect the mDP cable and the HDMI cable carefully (watching the lower sensors - I will test this later!) and the laptop display shows G-Sync / 144Hz again but the 150W GPU TDP max. 😄

The +15W GPU Boost is missing... I installed MSI AB but I didn't see the option to turn off the power limit there. (how is it available - I read that 15W Boost was available to someone) 

I tried nV Control Panel / 3D settings / Power management mode / Normal --> Maximum (but no change, 150W max. TDP)

29 minutes ago, MaxxD said:

You will laugh, but I just turned on the zTecpc X170 and did not connect the mDP cable and the HDMI cable carefully (watching the lower sensors - I will test this later!) and the laptop display shows G-Sync / 144Hz again but the 150W GPU TDP max. 😄

The +15W GPU Boost is missing... I installed MSI AB but I didn't see the option to turn off the power limit there. (how is it available - I read that 15W Boost was available to someone) 

I tried nV Control Panel / 3D settings / Power management mode / Normal --> Maximum (but no change, 150W max. TDP)

It is possible only 150w tdp.

when i tested i only checked in nvidia panel and it showed 165w but im not sure if this actually gives 165w.

for gsync it shud work cause i dont use external screen and it clearly showed gsync.  

anyway use the nvdispig inf i sended u and try again

34 minutes ago, Pfudaniel said:

It is possible only 150w tdp.

when i tested i only checked in nvidia panel and it showed 165w but im not sure if this actually gives 165w.

In this case, I think that the bios from Prema doesn't have any changes regarding support for the RTX 3rd series of GPU for this laptop, the 3080 is not working in the correct mode at full power, G-Sync raises questions and even the driver has to be modified that also told me a lot initially and aroused suspicion. In the Nvidia panel, you can see the initial main characteristics of the GPU and you need to check more carefully whether it works in the end.

1 hour ago, MaxxD said:

Hehe, try a TimeSpy run then (normal version) and let us know your score, preferably with and without MSI Afterburner. I am sure it will be better than the 2080s.

I also would do a backup now before you try other stuff as at least you seem to have G-Sync.

I also do not think that with a card that is out of warranty you have to have the boost option when you may as well do a shunt mod instead and get more power irrespective of boost settings. 

@Meaker has done it already with this GPU so you may want to check what he has done or you can be happy with still having an improvement and a lower power consumption than before.

1 hour ago, 1610ftw said:

Hehe, try a TimeSpy run then (normal version) and let us know your score, preferably with and without MSI Afterburner. I am sure it will be better than the 2080s.

I also would do a backup now before you try other stuff as at least you seem to have G-Sync.

I also do not think that with a card that is out of warranty you have to have the boost option when you may as well do a shunt mod instead and get more power irrespective of boost settings. 

@Meaker has done it already with this GPU so you may want to check what he has done or you can be happy with still having an improvement and a lower power consumption than before.

🙂

Full Default Setup/Specs.

376600_xn41a634tvaemh6x_3dmark_timespy_f

I also noticed that the rear RGB LED strip on the zTecpc machine can only be turned off when the program is open and active on the screen.
 If I put it on the tray, it turns on.
 Could this be a bug?!?

51 minutes ago, Bidelloman said:

just like a was told some time ago, no amount of .inf modding will bring us reliably constant gsync and dynamic boost ( or working sleep functions in win 10)

What guarantees the +15W Boost value?  I'm curious about that.🙂🤔

12400 at default looks pretty good and power uptake seems to be a bit higher this time with up to 157W.

You may want to experiment a bit with MSI Afterburner to see how much higher you can get and also to see if power goes even higher.

Have you tried gaming on the internal display to see if G-Sync works?

@MaxxD In any case, you have a pretty good performance, in the TimeSpy for x170km I see ~12817 for Graphics score, if you are interested I can upload a screenshot.