NotebookTalk

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

Etern4l

38 minutes ago, kojack said:

that's until the Terminators rise up against humanity....🤪

...or until they go out of business because their competitor will use AI to write for them :D

• Thumb Up 1

GitHub

Currently and formerly owned laptops (specs below):

Serenity                    -> Dell Precision 5560
N-1                             -> Dell Precision 5560 (my lady's)

Razor Crest              -> Lenovo ThinkPad P16 (work)
Millenium Falcon    -> Dell Precision 5530 (work)
Axiom                        -> Lenovo ThinkPad P52 (work)
Moldy Crow             -> Dell XPS 15 9550

Spoiler

Senenity / N-1: Dell Precision 5560
    i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

Millenium Falcon: Dell Precision 5530
    i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160
    Ubuntu 22.04 / Windows 10 LTSC

1 hour ago, kojack said:

I just got hired by a very well known tech website to write for them. They are 100 percent against AI for their writing and photos/videos/graphics. I think my job is safe with them.  that's until the Terminators rise up against humanity....🤪

you left out dementia. 

If that's genuinely their stance then great, good for you, although I would be surprised if they said anything else given that the current AI models cannot completely replace all writers. They can automate a lot of writing though. How is writers' pay looking, and how will it evolve going forward is therefore another question. 

In contrast, you have places like this: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2023/03/15/business/tokyo-startup-chatgpt-job/

FYI I'm also fine at the moment, however, the question here is - can we look a few steps ahead and get in front of the issues before it's too late?

1 hour ago, kojack said:

you left out dementia. 

LOL. Actually, now that you mentioned it - the demented, the grossly naive, the dumb, the drunk, the stoned and the unreasonably optimistic don't care. An interesting thought I suppose.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

3 hours ago, Etern4l said:

If that's genuinely their stance then great, good for you, although I would be surprised if they said anything else given that the current AI models cannot completely replace all writers. They can automate a lot of writing though. How is writers' pay looking, and how will it evolve going forward is therefore another question. 

In contrast, you have places like this: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2023/03/15/business/tokyo-startup-chatgpt-job/

FYI I'm also fine at the moment, however, the question here is - can we look a few steps ahead and get in front of the issues before it's too late?

LOL. Actually, now that you mentioned it - the demented, the grossly naive, the dumb, the drunk, the stoned and the unreasonably optimistic don't care. An interesting thought I suppose.

Nope. Clear thinking here. Not caught up in wacky conspiracy theories.  

• Sad 1

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

21 minutes ago, kojack said:

Nope. Clear thinking here. Not caught up in wacky conspiracy theories.  

Rsspectfully, please don't confuse very simple and short-sighted with clear (this requires certain depth to be meaningful). You haven't presented any substantial arguments, snarky one-liners don't count. Frankly there has been no evidence of any substantial thinking at all in your contributions here thus far. 

• Sad 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

but on a more serious note AI has advanced so fast in the last year eternals claims are waranted. I love you @kojackbut I also love @Etern4l your very smart adults, and I think its great to have a different opinion. but just try to see him without the tin foil hat and from another angle.

@Etern4l its like comparing apples to oranges. like comparing piccaso to sir issac newton. completely different type of intelligence. you guys are polar opposites. I see his point, think australia. yes exactly how do we know AI will have a negative bias. it won't or it might, but not it will if that makes any sense, think in terms of open ended programming, I used to program java and well everything has to be accounted for, its not just as simple as A=b<c-2 lol like it will make sense and throw alot of different variables into account.

also too add to this topic, did you fellows know open ai responds to up to 4kb of text and the python ai does up to 14kb. can you imagine how many lines of text would be needed for ai to destroy the world. 14kb is alot of info. but to take over the world or destroy us we would need un speakable amounts of data.

Aug 10, 2021  It has a memory of 14KB for Python code, compared to GPT-3 which has only 4KB—so it can take into account over 3x as much contextual information ...
How much code does artificial intelligence take?

How Does AI Require Coding? While the applications of AI are still expanding, people have yet to discover its total abilities. AI requires coding language most commonly used in Python, C++ and Java. Python is the most frequently used of these programs, and the most popular libraries for AI are Tensorflow and PyTorch.Mar 30, 2022

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

38 minutes ago, ryan said:

this might not be well known nor seem logical or make any sense or have any merit but the reptilians are taking over. heres a picture of bidens black eyes. which is a clear sign hes a reptile.

AA1aq9R9.img?w=800&h=415&q=60&m=2&f=jpg

but on a more serious note AI has advanced so fast in the last year eternals claims are waranted. I love you @kojackbut I also love @Etern4l your very smart adults, and I think its great to have a different opinion. but just try to see him without the tin foil hat and from another angle.

@Etern4l its like comparing apples to oranges. like comparing piccaso to sir issac newton. completely different type of intelligence. you guys are polar opposites. I see his point, think australia. yes exactly how do we know AI will have a negative bias. it won't or it might, but not it will if that makes any sense, think in terms of open ended programming, I used to program java and well everything has to be accounted for, its not just as simple as A=b<c-2 lol like it will make sense and throw alot of different variables into account.

also too add to this topic, did you fellows know open ai responds to up to 4kb of text and the python ai does up to 14kb. can you imagine how many lines of text would be needed for ai to destroy the world. 14kb is alot of info. but to take over the world or destroy us we would need un speakable amounts of data.

Aug 10, 2021  It has a memory of 14KB for Python code, compared to GPT-3 which has only 4KB—so it can take into account over 3x as much contextual information ...
How much code does artificial intelligence take?

How Does AI Require Coding? While the applications of AI are still expanding, people have yet to discover its total abilities. AI requires coding language most commonly used in Python, C++ and Java. Python is the most frequently used of these programs, and the most popular libraries for AI are Tensorflow and PyTorch.Mar 30, 2022

That 4KB is just the context memory, we don't know how much knowledge GPT-4 has been trained on but terabytes would be my conservative guess, and BTW in GPT-4 this already up to 100-200KB if I remember correctly. Again, nobody is saying that ChatGPT can literally take over the world., it wasn't even trained to do so. ChatGPT will affect the economy, and the underlying technology is powerful enough to drive potentially dangerous applications. On top of that, the companies involved are already working on systems which far surpass GPT-4.

Another problem is transparency. "OpenAI" has quickly become ClosedAI, there has been no paper explaining how ChatGPT works exactly. We just don't know much about it. Here is another researcher to elaborate: 

• Thumb Up 1

-- Max Tegmark

7 minutes ago, Etern4l said:

That 4K is just the context memory, and BTW in GPT-4 this already up to 100-200KB if I remember correctly. Again, nobody is saying that ChatGPT can literally take over the world., it wasn't even trained to do so. ChatGPT will affect the economy, and the underlying technology is powerful enough to drive potentially dangerous applications. On top of that, the companies involved are already working on systems which far surpass GPT-4.

well I feel embarassed. I thought it was take over the world end humanity thread. whoops lol

Yes its impressive, and I think I mentioned it already it will cost roughly 300 million jobs. that might not seem like much but trust me thats a bigger dent in the made up world than we can imagine. 300 million will affect billions.  imagine developing countries in africa or poor countries like haiti or the area of malaysia. this is scary, but for some odd(im odd) reason I was under the impression ai would take over the world via advanced language patterns cause and effect senerios.

if you have no clue what im talking about remember I know hypnosis and mentalism well(can't practice mentalism).

words can kill/change/modify human outcomes, words are possibly the strongest weapon this side of the hydrogen bomb

yes I asked ai about hypnosis CHAT GPT. it was blocked by the engine. and for good reason, only a handful of people know what im implying

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

11 minutes ago, ryan said:

well I feel embarassed. I thought it was take over the world end humanity thread

The confusion here could be that you are not aware of the fact that ChatGPT is basically just a human-friendly frontend for the underlying technology, which can be used in many other ways.

Clever misinformation is indeed one of the most immediate concerns, and the effects of that can be very profound indeed, as we know.

• Thanks 1

-- Max Tegmark

AI: An Emerging Major Existential Threat To Humanity

what does that mean then? what is existential threat and to us as a whole

existential threat

[ eg-zi-sten-shuhl thret ]

Published December 2, 2019

WHAT DOES EXISTENTIAL THREAT MEAN?

An existential threat is a threat to something’s very existence—when the continued being of something is at stake or in danger. It is used to describe threats to actual living things as well to nonliving thing things, such as a country or an ideology.

like what were you conveying, whats your angle brother

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Once again, the concern is that AI technology (AGI/ASI in particular) could upend or end our civilisation ("existential threat"), in the next few steps of its accelerated evolution. Hope that's clear enough. 

As for the detailed rationale, I can only encourage you to re-read all the posts, and re-watch the videos. If that doesn't clarify it, I can no longer assist you.

BTW Can you adjust the font size down? I know it's a bit of extra hassle, but somehow I always do it when copying stuff from the web.

• Thumb Up 1

-- Max Tegmark

yeah when I copy paste it always does larger text really annoying.

Yeah I hear you, you don't have to re explain. I was just thinking you meant the end of us humans. i'll read over your posts again, but don't you think it could end us also? perhaps I need to take off my tin foil hat but I see that as a possibility also.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Thanks, much cleaner.

I mean yes, "end of our civilisation" is just a nice way of saying "wipeout, concentration camps, or slavery if we are very lucky". We are currently on track. It's probably not obvious to see this without some background in AI and computing. Basic evolutionary biology helps. In fact, AI researchers are arguing about this as well, many hoping (hope springs eternal, lol) there is some way to "align" the AI (most likely because they don't want the gravy train of AI research to get shut down), which is at the moment actually pretty hopeless given the lack of theory that would justify any positive outlook, with the current (lack of) any sort of attempt at best practice being just as abysmal. Here is one more summary:

Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down

The Internet being an occasionally fun place, there are some memes around this out there:

Fuk9ZOKaMAET2wB?format=png&name=small

FusG8lPaUAAue8X?format=jpg&name=small

FupoNKVaUAEkXJG?format=jpg&name=small

-- Max Tegmark

yikes. TLDR all of it

I got a little nervous about this snippet

"If somebody builds a too-powerful AI, under present conditions, I expect that every single member of the human species and all biological life on Earth dies shortly thereafter."

I guess I heard it from you first, I didn't doubt you I just thought you were trying to grab a touch of extra attention which is fine. but yeah this is not good as far as the authors logic is concerned.

I agree this topic akin to chess. If you shrug it off and don't think you will lose your queen. If you think about it this is a very real threat even though it can be shrugged off with 2 seconds of thought which most people do. Reminds me of the fast thinking slow thinking reasoning.

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

6 hours ago, kojack said:

1gjevz.jpg

Well, that notification was a waste of time. Alright, I guess there was a reason why you were on my ignore list more than once at NBR. See you there buddy, enjoy your stockpile of weed, hope it brings you more "clarity" and comfort. 

While the death of stock photography is a slightly tangential topic, here is my parting gift to you my friend, food for thought (won't help with the munchies unfortunately):

Edit: a good follow-up video on the future of broader photography and creative arts. Bang on IMHO.

BTW A lot of the commentary on the Internet made by people with no CS background falls into the - one would have thought by now familiar - pitfall of assuming what we are seeing now is the apex of AI capabilities or close. That's obviously a gross mistake, as time will continue to tell us (if we continue to do nothing to control this explosive growth in capability, as is likely to be the case for now at least). 

Edit: sadly people don't even understand the difference between a sedative and a hallucinogen.

• Thumb Up 1

-- Max Tegmark

Ha ha.  Enjoy your rabbit hole of conspiracy theories.  You would think the pot head would be into that.  Alas,  I'm in reality not constantly sitting at my screen consuming at an alarming rate.  Peace. 

12 hours ago, kojack said:

Enjoy your rabbit hole of conspiracy theories.

yet you kept that

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

9 hours ago, Reciever said:

That is correct.

@Etern4l also had a picture removed for containing explicit language. Of which, if you recreate it without the use of such language it will be permitted.

Thanks!

Didn't notice, you could have let me know right then or inserted a note in lieu of the image ("image of a naive human startled by the AI capabilities at time t + delta") as that image was a continuation of the slide before it, and trying to complete the point. I'm not sure it's worth retrofitting given the overall level of discussion and engagement with the topic here TBH (with one or two exceptions of course). Maybe it's time to consolidate the best material on first page and post the link on reddit and twitter lol

@Reciever Since we are moderating quite a bit (this looks to be by far the most heavily moderated thread I have seen on the site by moderator actions/posts), which I generally view as a value-adding activity, ideally we would also moderate the thread for informational value and clean up trolling.

For example, if a hypothetical troll with a track record of disruptive behaviour and zero relevant background in the topic, possibly attempting to contribute in a sedated state (if, for example, he advertised being in possession of a stash of legal in his jurisdiction drugs elsewhere on the site), invades with silly messages and personal attacks with no informational content, for example: "conspiracy theory, so funny!", "Tinfoil hat, haha", "Hello, it's me again, what I posted earlier is likely correct for no reason whatsoever, period.", can we remove that kind of inane and inflammatory noise please (otherwise we are no better than reddit and some bad areas of twitter)? We are trying to discuss a serious subject here, so it would be great if we could set a somewhat higher bar on the standard of communication (I don't mind bad grammar, dyslexia etc. as long as some reasonable arguments are being made or attempted). Many thanks.

To keep a slither of connection to the main topic, I consulted GPT 3.5 on the distraction at hand lol

TL;DR

Trolls are users who engage in intentionally provocative, disruptive, attention-seeking, and often anonymous behavior with a lack of empathy for other users. When determining the appropriate action to take against a troll, moderators should take into account a pattern of repeated "offending" and have clear guidelines and policies in place for dealing with trolls. This may include issuing warnings or bans, depending on the severity and frequency of the troll's behavior. The goal should be to maintain a positive and safe online environment for all users.

How to deal with an internet troll?

Dealing with an internet troll on a forum can be a frustrating experience, but there are several strategies you can use to manage the situation:

1. Don't engage: The first rule of dealing with trolls is to avoid engaging with them. Trolls thrive on attention, so the less you respond to their comments, the less likely they are to continue their behavior.

2. Report the troll: Most forums have a reporting system that allows users to flag inappropriate behavior. Use this system to report the troll to the forum moderators. Provide specific examples of the troll's behavior, including links to any offensive posts.

3. Block the troll: If the forum has a blocking feature, use it to prevent the troll from contacting you. This will also prevent you from seeing any of the troll's comments.

4. Respond with humor: If you do decide to respond to the troll, use humor to defuse the situation. Trolls are often looking for a reaction, and responding with a joke can take the wind out of their sails.

5. Stay calm: Trolls often try to provoke an emotional response, so it's important to stay calm and composed when dealing with them. Don't let the troll get under your skin.

Remember that trolls thrive on attention, so the best way to deal with them is to starve them of it. By not engaging with their behavior, you can minimize their impact on the forum and create a more positive online environment.

Should trolls be just banned from the site?

In most cases, yes, trolls should be banned from the site. Trolls typically engage in behavior that is disruptive and can harm the community, such as posting inflammatory or offensive comments, derailing discussions, and harassing other users. Banning trolls sends a clear message that this type of behavior is not acceptable on the site and helps to maintain a positive and respectful online environment.

However, it's important for forum moderators to have clear guidelines and policies in place to determine what constitutes trolling and to ensure that bans are applied fairly and consistently. It's also important to give trolls the opportunity to reform their behavior and learn from their mistakes. In some cases, a warning or temporary suspension may be more appropriate than an immediate ban.

Overall, banning trolls is a necessary step in maintaining a safe and productive online community, but it should be done in a thoughtful and measured way.

What are the main characteristics of a troll?

The main characteristics of a troll include:

1. Intentionally provocative behavior: Trolls seek to provoke and upset other users by making inflammatory or offensive comments. (check)

2. Disruptive behavior: Trolls often disrupt discussions and derail conversations by changing the subject or engaging in off-topic tangents. (check)

3. Attention-seeking behavior: Trolls crave attention and will often continue to post inflammatory comments even when they receive negative reactions from other users. (check)

4. Anonymity: Trolls often use pseudonyms or fake accounts to remain anonymous, which allows them to post provocative comments without fear of consequences. (N/A)

5. Lack of empathy: Trolls often have little empathy for other users and may enjoy causing others to feel upset or angry. (check)

6. Persistence: Trolls may continue to post inflammatory comments even after being warned or banned from a forum or website. (check)

It's important to note that not all users who exhibit these characteristics are necessarily trolls. Some users may engage in disruptive behavior or be provocative without the intention of causing harm or upset. It's up to forum moderators to determine whether a user is truly a troll and take appropriate action to maintain a positive online environment.

When determining the appropriate action to take against a troll which ticks all the boxes above, should a pattern of repeated "offending" be taken into account? What would be your recommendation?

Yes, a pattern of repeated "offending" should definitely be taken into account when determining the appropriate action to take against a troll. If a user consistently exhibits the characteristics of a troll and engages in disruptive or offensive behavior on multiple occasions, it's more likely that their behavior is intentional and aimed at causing harm or disruption to the community.

In terms of recommendations, forum moderators should have clear guidelines and policies in place for dealing with trolls, and these should take into account factors such as the severity and frequency of the troll's behavior. For example, a first-time offender may receive a warning or temporary suspension, while a repeat offender may be banned permanently.

It's also important for forum moderators to document instances of trolling and keep a record of any warnings or bans that have been issued. This helps to ensure that bans are applied fairly and consistently, and that users are held accountable for their behavior.

Ultimately, the goal should be to create a positive and safe online environment for all users, and taking appropriate action against trolls is an important step in achieving this.

I mean that's solid and common-sense advice, arguably 75%+ of native English-speaking humans would be unable to produce that level of response within several minutes, let alone several seconds. "My" last contribution on the trolling problem. Hope we can resolve the situation for the good of the site.

-- Max Tegmark

8 hours ago, ryan said:

yet you kept that

Because there was nothing offensive, and more than likely true.  Context! 😉

Stumbled upon this news article yesterday: EU proposes new copyright rules for generative AI. Sounds like a step towards forcing AI-development companies being more "open" about the data they use to train their models (Could lead to other regulations to make them more open in general as well.) Time will tell how well EU will be able to enforce this, but it definitely sounds like a step toward more "safe" AI.

• Like 1

GitHub

Currently and formerly owned laptops (specs below):

Serenity                    -> Dell Precision 5560
N-1                             -> Dell Precision 5560 (my lady's)

Razor Crest              -> Lenovo ThinkPad P16 (work)
Millenium Falcon    -> Dell Precision 5530 (work)
Axiom                        -> Lenovo ThinkPad P52 (work)
Moldy Crow             -> Dell XPS 15 9550

Spoiler

Senenity / N-1: Dell Precision 5560
    i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

Millenium Falcon: Dell Precision 5530
    i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160
    Ubuntu 22.04 / Windows 10 LTSC

13 minutes ago, serpro69 said:

Stumbled upon this news article yesterday: EU proposes new copyright rules for generative AI. Sounds like a step towards forcing AI-development companies being more "open" about the data they use to train their models (Could lead to other regulations to make them more open in general as well.) Time will tell how well EU will be able to enforce this, but it definitely sounds like a step toward more "safe" AI.

Nice. This could kill generative AI off for quite a while, assuming the legislation proves to have teeth. Imagine the task of producing watertight evidence of rights to use tera(peta?)bytes of data harvested from the Internet lol. And its only fair.

• Like 1
  • Bump 1

-- Max Tegmark

Some sources are estimating 32 billion in AI generative income, or income due to AI. this could be a big deal. what do you guys think? will AI take over or are we just exagerating its capabilities. I think if AI can do creative work and create masterpieces of artwork we are in for a ride down the mountain.

source

https://www.forbes.com/sites/louiscolumbus/2018/01/12/10-charts-that-will-change-your-perspective-on-artificial-intelligences-growth/?sh=20cb579d4758

https://spectrum.ieee.org/state-of-ai-2023

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• Etern4l changed the title to AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity
  • Reciever locked this topic
  • Reciever unlocked this topic