NotebookTalk

Wishlist - What to replace the x170sm-g with when the time comes?

Snowleopard

I love my X170SM-G for the most part, but I am already thinking about my next laptop, it seems like this is the last of the great desktop replacement laptops?

I am looking at the future and thinking:

Motherboard: PCIE 5.x or 6.x

Ram: DDR 5 / DDR 6 , 4 slots up to 512gb

Nvme slots: 4 is nice, maybe 6 if at all possible

Graphics....... Not sure what will be out at that point, but something in an upgradable card, like a new revision to MXM with 16 or 32gb memory for the GPU.

Display: 4k 240 or 8k 240 / Samsung QD LED Gen 4 or 5 panel

Thunderbolt 4 or 5 (chipset that has full compatibility)

Wi-Fi 7 or Wi-Fi 8

The Wi-Fi nic with bluetooth needs to have an antenna on it for longer range blue tooth. 60-120 feet of range

10gig eithernet port

Graphene cooling pads/ paste

Graphene based battery technology

Onboard IR/ RF for wireless mice

SD Express and Micro SD Express card slots

Unless Framework gets something out by the time you want to upgrade (they are working on a GPU upgrade enabled laptop via snap in modules), you may only be stuck with BGA all around. Clevo's last DTR'ish laptop with swappable parts was the NH55 (12th gen).

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

MelMel:  (Retrofit currently in progress)

On 4/25/2023 at 8:59 PM, electrosoft said:

Unless Framework gets something out by the time you want to upgrade (they are working on a GPU upgrade enabled laptop via snap in modules), you may only be stuck with BGA all around. Clevo's last DTR'ish laptop with swappable parts was the NH55 (12th gen).

Framework reportedly want to make their solution open to others which is great - it means that a manufacturer that is ready to go 18" could use it.

It would be so cool to have such a graphics solution in a DTR, hopefully it will find more widespread adoption.

Also another potential benefit has not been mentioned: Instead of that graphics module we may also have the ability to connect an external GPU module that could contain the biggest and baddest GPUs out there 

Add a socketed CPU and we may have upgradeability for a few generations even with Intel when they start with next gen.

• Like 1