NotebookTalk

Still Considering New Laptop

Hi I had made a thread a while back about a laptop purchase. I have spoilered the details answering the template questions about my purchase at the end, since they don't change.

However, I have made a new thread as I was hoping in the past few months prices might have dropped, if just a bit. Just in case recommendations change because of that or some other reason. I plan to complete the purchase some time next month.

Also adding a few details that might further help: I am currently using a 2017 ASUS Strix G15 with an i7 7th gen, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16 GB RAM, 15" 1080p display, 256 GB SSD + 1000 GB HDD, Windows 10 Home. Whatever I buy next I am hoping for equivalent, if not better performance, without breaking the bank.

I have little knowledge of whether AMD or Nvidia is better but assuming the latter, I am hoping to upgrade to an RTX 4000 series and I am linking a few laptops with 4090s as well as 4050s, to demonstrate some of the prices and specs that are available to me. Please help me consider what I should buy.

Some 4090s:

Some 4050s:
Spoiler

Following is the template from my original thread:

Spoiler
General Questions

1) What is your budget?

Indefinite. That said, I am not shelling out $10,000+ nor am I paying an extra $1,000 for an extra 10 GB of storage or 1 GB of RAM.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen

c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen

d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen Doesn't matter. Primarily for gaming and essentially a portable machine. Whichever offers the best performance is fine for a good price.

3) In which country will you buying this notebook?

USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

a. Like:

b. Dislike:

None in particular. As long as it is good quality.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

No.

6) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?

Gaming.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Desk. It's mostly a compromise for a gaming desktop as I am not settled enough to keep a huge gaming rig I can only move once very so often.

Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)

Yes. All kinds.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

Doesn't matter. Not familiar with current quality but battery was not good for gaming last I checked and again it's a compromise for a gaming desktop.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebook you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Whichever guarantees I am getting what is advertised. Also to consider, I may have to move countries in a month or two if my contract isn't renewed, so I am not sure if I will have time to make any requests of the manufacturer if things go bad. Also problematic if warrantees and other post purchase services are completely limited to the USA (i.e. nothing outside).

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Whichever is offered with the best performance.

12) What ports do you require on your laptop? (ex. MiniDisplayPort or HDMI? Displayport or USB-C w/ DP?)

Not sure. Any help with this one?

Screen Specifics

13) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? See further below for explanations.

Doesn't matter. I just care about the performance. I doubt anyone is selling gaming laptops below 1080p and I don't care for 4K/8K.

14) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? See further below for explanations.

Matte preferred but not required.

Build Quality and Design

15) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

No.

Notebook Components

16) How much storage space do you need?

Doesn't matter. I doubt anyone is selling below 500 GB and I don't keep too much on my computer at once.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

17) When do you consider purchasing this laptop?

Immediately.

18) How long do you expect to use this laptop?

If all goes well, about half a decade. I have managed to use my current gaming laptop for about 6 years (with some troubles...).

19) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?

Not long at all.

20) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?

If possible, neither. But if I have to choose, the former.

Other: For experience, I'd say to err on the side of caution and consider me a novice. I have had gaming/multimedia laptops twice before. The first had poor quality thermal paste that degraded within two years. The second (current) had it's battery swell up which I had to personally remove by opening it (which I remember being easily removable by design in my first machine) and also it's CMOS battery dried up.

To be clear, I'm not debating whether or not these should be there. I'd simply prefer these and other lifetime limiting issues not be present. Again, not debating that there should not be any. As far as paste is concerned, I know from experience that the manufacturer can definitely provide high quality thermal paste. I'd simply appreciate not having to open up my machine in a market where modularity and right to repair is being limited and it is becoming easier to brick your machine if trying to attempt a repair that can be done but the manufacturer does not provide themselves.

Please let me know if there are any other details I can provide.

Thanks and regards.

You need to be far more specific about what features you're looking for, what you intend to do with the laptop, and how much you truly want to spend in order to achieve your goals. 

• Thumb Up 1

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

6 hours ago, saturnotaku said:

You need to be far more specific about what features you're looking for, what you intend to do with the laptop, and how much you truly want to spend in order to achieve your goals. 

This.

Even with the template is still hard for us to suggest anything if you're not specific especially with an unlimited budget, even with that it doesnt mean you should spend a crazy amount of money for a gaming laptop, there are other factors to consider like build quality, upgradeability, keyboard, port selection and so on. Also a RTX 4050 is the entry level GPU in the 40 series and it has the same performance as the RTX 3060, its good for 1080p gaming but QHD+ is where it shows it weakness. I would say go no unless than a RTX 4080 because it destroys last gen best laptop GPU RTX 3080ti by over 30% with the addition of DLSS 3/Frame Generation which only 40 series GPUs support. There are many options out there.

• Thanks 1

Current Laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.8Ghz (Boost: 4.2Ghz), 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 Memory, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS display, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, 1 TB Teamgroup MP34 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home 22H2

Thanks for letting me know guys. I'll try to add in as many details as I can. I tried to answer the template best I could. Please let me know what else I can tell you guys.

I think a good starting point would be to set the performance of the GTX 1070 mobile as the lower bound for graphics performance and move from there, with regards to graphics card. How about let's discard anything with a graphics card below that performance? Based on a quick check and just comparing VRAM, for RTX 3000 series, anything below 3070 and for RTX 4000 series, anything below 4060 is not considered. I doubt that is anywhere near sufficiently rigorous but I thought it would be a good starting point.

Regarding other details, I am going to play games on the computer. I don't usually play the latest but I will get some of the games released recently on a good sale. So technically it might as well be, considering some of the current games have a later release date than the laptops.

I would like high build quality. I'm not planning on throwing it about but my purchases are long term and I would not like it to break because of random slightly hard bump or working in the summer without Air conditioning.

I don't think upgradeability is a concern. I somehow have managed to stretch out the usage of the past 2 gaming/multimedia laptops for 5-6 years and by that time I often just get a new one for one reason or another.

I am glad you mentioned keyboard. I didn't think about it but the heavy usage on my current laptop has caused the paint(?) to scrape off from the S and D keys. Also some of them seem to be losing their input detection. Not enough to notice but it happens sometimes and the top of the D key has definitely dislodged from the lower side so that it "sticks" and "unsticks" as I use it. I would like a laptop that doesn't have these issues with the keyboard. Not sure if that's something that's possible or if there is a name for that.

I really don't know about the ports. I just stick in USBs to store data or for mice or headsets or whatever else like connecting chargers or phones. Seems like everything can be connected through USBs these days.

Please let me know if there are any other details I can let you guys know to help the discussion.

You continue to be a bit vague. What your request for screen?  100%sRGB 300 nits at least? screen size 15.6 or 16 (15.6 with 16:10)  17.3" or 18"(17.3 with 16:10)

memory 16 or 32?  no uses anymore HHD in laptop so 1Tb SSD? 2 slots to put another?  

• Thumb Up 1

Budget, budget, BUDGET.

And "I don't have one but don't want to break the bank" is not an answer.

• Thumb Up 1

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

49 minutes ago, Bullit said:

You continue to be a bit vague. What your request for screen?  100%sRGB 300 nits at least? screen size 15.6 or 16 (15.6 with 16:10)  17.3" or 18"(17.3 with 16:10)

memory 16 or 32?  no uses anymore HHD in laptop so 1Tb SSD? 2 slots to put another?  

1080p is fine.

I won't upgrade so I don't need slots.

$5000 budget.

MSI GT78 Titan

13 hours ago, saturnotaku said:

MSI GT78 Titan

So that's it? I can't even find this machine and the GT77 is RTX 3000. 

You literally didn't even discuss anything. All you did was rail on about my budget. Once I gave you a figure you just pointed at some arbitrary machine that's probably not worth the money.

Why does this subforum even exist? Nobody wants to discuss. It's just such standard lackluster corporate fumbling about, "GIB BUGIT. Ok here's this dumb ." Yeah enjoy your internet points to show off to people you will never meet for half-assing an answer based on one thing out of so many.

Why do you even reply at all if you don't want to discuss? I don't even care anymore.

Edited by Reciever
language

A lot of the options at the top have fallen off due to QC issues or in general lack the cooling to properly utilize the hardware under the hood. I hear good things about the Alienware 18, but those are coming from experienced tuners.

This sub-forum exists to assist members narrow down their options, but with that being said, if the template isnt filled in a meaningful manner the perception changes from granting options to thinking for you. Which tends to put people off.

Just now, Reciever said:

A lot of the options at the top have fallen off due to QC issues or in general lack the cooling to properly utilize the hardware under the hood. I hear good things about the Alienware 18, but those are coming from experienced tuners.

Fine.

8 hours ago, Reciever said:

This sub-forum exists to assist members narrow down their options, but with that being said, if the template isnt filled in a meaningful manner the perception changes from granting options to thinking for you. Which tends to put people off.

Can you point out which answers are unhelpful from the template answers? Just give me the numbers/letters but please do tell me all the ones. I don't know if there is a language barrier or something like that. Maybe I thought I explained myself well enough.

1 hour ago, random_soldier1337 said:

Fine.

Can you point out which answers are unhelpful from the template answers? Just give me the numbers/letters but please do tell me all the ones. I don't know if there is a language barrier or something like that. Maybe I thought I explained myself well enough.

Well, pretty much all of it.

You state there is no budget, but also not to be wasteful in spending. This doesnt narrow anything down.

You dont care about storage, but also looks like you dont intend to upgrade since you dont need slots? If budget is of no concern then why the stipulation? 

No list of games that are in your rotation. No details for screens, etc etc. 

The issue is there isnt a corner piece to this puzzle yet for others to work on as a basis to build from. 4050's and 4090's also typically arent in the same conversation for purchase considerations since what they offer is quite different. Couple that with not wanting issues for not having Air conditioning then puts the 4090 at risk since we dont know what environment this will be used in.

It sounds more like your question should be, what is the best 4090 equipped machine in the market right now.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Haha 1

Ok. Let me go over your template again:

Budget: I'm willing to spend if I get good bang for buck. I don't want diminishing returns for higher end specs. I don't know what quality they build so I don't want to waste money. I want high performance for a long time.

There are N number of reasons I could give to go cheap or expensive

2, 4, 9, 11, 10, 12 ,13 ,14 ,15, 16: Don't know. Don't care. I just want a gaming machine.

3: US

5: No.

6: Gaming

7: Desk. I will play everything from pong to AAA VR chatgpt enabled hyper realistic space opera simulator.

17: Yes

18: Forever

19: No.

20: Whichever is good.

Do you see the problem with your template? It's literally for enthusiasts. Nobody outside of that is going to know exactly what's available and what they will get for their purchase for just one simple thing they want. And they most certainly won't know what to answer for a bunch of those. That's why there needs to be some discussion. We're not experts.

I get that you are doing it "out of the kindness of your heart". That doesn't automatically mean whatever you expectorate is good. I didn't ask you. You made this forum for that. So I thought I could post something for help here.

Your whole thinking is just some stupid bias y'all have formed from being in an echo chamber, just spitting out preprogrammed responses, short circuiting as soon as someone goes off script. Your response is just a verbose, "Just effing google it." I could get better out of chatgpt.

8 minutes ago, random_soldier1337 said:

Ok. Let me go over your template again:

Budget: I'm willing to spend if I get good bang for buck. I don't want diminishing returns for higher end specs. I don't know what quality they build so I don't want to waste money. I want high performance for a long time.

There are N number of reasons I could give to go cheap or expensive

2, 4, 9, 11, 10, 12 ,13 ,14 ,15, 16: Don't know. Don't care. I just want a gaming machine.

3: US

5: No.

6: Gaming

7: Desk. I will play everything from pong to AAA VR chatgpt enabled hyper realistic space opera simulator.

17: Yes

18: Forever

19: No.

20: Whichever is good.

Do you see the problem with your template? It's literally for enthusiasts. Nobody outside of that is going to know exactly what's available and what they will get for their purchase for just one simple thing they want. And they most certainly won't know what to answer for a bunch of those. That's why there needs to be some discussion. We're not experts.

I get that you are doing it "out of the kindness of your heart". That doesn't automatically mean whatever you expectorate is good. I didn't ask you. You made this forum for that. So I thought I could post something for help here.

Your whole thinking is just some stupid bias y'all have formed from being in an echo chamber, just spitting out preprogrammed responses, short circuiting as soon as someone goes off script. Your response is just a verbose, "Just effing google it." I could get better out of chatgpt.

The template has been served for well over 10-15 years, you're probably the first to attack it as some form for elites. It forces you, the consumer, to have some level of investment in this process.

Budget: Not narrowed down at all, in fact more vague than previous. Set a bar with a stipulation that if there was convincing reason to increase it another notch (i.e. new product, or some kind of sale) you are welcome to entertain it. Unlimited budget vs bang for buck are diametrically opposed positions. Just as well so is uncompromising gaming prowess and diminishing returns. Set a number, and give a percentage for above or below the target perhaps? For a lot of recommendations this is the bedrock or starting position that immediately filters out a lot of products.

10 points ignored ? We're off to a good start lol

You are putting in a lot of effort to not provide answers to the template and whining about how elite people are. You've had some good folks engage, to which you have turned up your nose while still desiring a responsible suggestion. We may have bias, as all people do, however just as you thought you could post asking for help, it does not completely negate your role here. Its why the template was created and stickied.

I have suggested the Alienware 18 (correctly named Alienware m18) as it houses a lot of performance under the hood, we even have some members that have already gotten their hands on one with the top end package that are sharing their experiences with the system and wouldnt have a problem answering any of your questions. Have you considered it or looked at it all? As it fits within your previously defined budget of 5000, offers to date the best performance on paper. Haven't seen any feedback from you on it be it for or against.

hes got me confused but it's all good

bang for your buck?

this is by far the best bang for your buck from purely a performance standpoint, and I can vouche for this laptop as I used to have the same make and it lasted well over 7 years

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/page/Tracer-VII-Laptops/

• Like 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Razer has great notebooks that fill the bill for you as well. They are clean looking too; they do not look like the majority of the "Optimus Prime Helmet" gaming systems available now. 

• Like 1

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

9 hours ago, random_soldier1337 said:

I could get better out of chatgpt.

Then I suggest you do that and stop wasting everyone's time.

• Bump 1

You're still being vague with your answers and you still hasnt mentioned what type of gaming performance you're looking for. Just go with a RTX 4090 laptop and be done with it, You'll destroy every game out there on 1440p especially with DLSS and Frame Gen turned on,Many different brands has them like ASUS, Lenovo, Razer, MSI, Dell/Alienware and etc, and there are often paired with a Intel i9-13900HX CPU. You can go to your local store like Best Buy to test them in person to see if you like the screen, build quality and so on, The decision is up to you.

You can even go with a 3070ti or 3080ti laptop has there been crazy sales on them, Anything will be better than your old GTX 1070 laptop.

• Thumb Up 3

Current Laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.8Ghz (Boost: 4.2Ghz), 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 Memory, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS display, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, 1 TB Teamgroup MP34 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home 22H2

On 5/31/2023 at 11:09 PM, Reciever said:

The template has been served for well over 10-15 years, you're probably the first to attack it as some form for elites. It forces you, the consumer, to have some level of investment in this process.

Budget: Not narrowed down at all, in fact more vague than previous. Set a bar with a stipulation that if there was convincing reason to increase it another notch (i.e. new product, or some kind of sale) you are welcome to entertain it. Unlimited budget vs bang for buck are diametrically opposed positions. Just as well so is uncompromising gaming prowess and diminishing returns. Set a number, and give a percentage for above or below the target perhaps? For a lot of recommendations this is the bedrock or starting position that immediately filters out a lot of products.

10 points ignored ? We're off to a good start lol

You are putting in a lot of effort to not provide answers to the template and whining about how elite people are. You've had some good folks engage, to which you have turned up your nose while still desiring a responsible suggestion. We may have bias, as all people do, however just as you thought you could post asking for help, it does not completely negate your role here. Its why the template was created and stickied.

I have suggested the Alienware 18 (correctly named Alienware m18) as it houses a lot of performance under the hood, we even have some members that have already gotten their hands on one with the top end package that are sharing their experiences with the system and wouldnt have a problem answering any of your questions. Have you considered it or looked at it all? As it fits within your previously defined budget of 5000, offers to date the best performance on paper. Haven't seen any feedback from you on it be it for or against.

I was being facetious with my repeat responses to the template. I remember it. I used it 15 years ago. Maybe it's not as infallible as you think? Or maybe the people have changed? First time went great. Next 2 times including this, less so. I bet there were better people around because none of this happened on NBR 15 years ago.

And quit pushing this narrative of it being someone's job and then making it look like I'm not doing mine. That's all you are doing. This is a discussion forum for laptop enthusiasts. Nothing is anyone's job. I don't know about staff, admin or other mods but as far as posting goes, it should all be freely given. You can't be bothered, then don't bother. I don't see the issue with that.

Have you considered that some might be more novice than others and/or they don't know which resources to consult regarding all the things you're asking when you blame them for not knowing enough? Have you considered editing the template to be more detailed? Or best yet, why don't you sticky a bunch of good resources regarding information for all the things you are asking for so people can go "educate" themselves before coming here?

I wasn't pushing back until you had saturnotaku essentially start yelling in text format. What was the need for that? Maybe that's the real problem. I don't have anything against the others. I appreciate their response given the "lack of information". Then you just go justifying saturnotakus behavior and start pushing your own agenda.

Regarding your alienware suggestion, you added in that the good reviews were coming specifically from experienced tuners. I don't count myself among them so I considered the point moot.

On 6/1/2023 at 7:47 AM, saturnotaku said:

Then I suggest you do that and stop wasting everyone's time.

If I could have predicted your attitude as well as I did your response, believe me I would never have bothered.

I actually have had good discussions elsewhere (and here as well after making some noise, just not with you) as well as a few actually pointing out resources for things I don't know and should know about.

15 minutes ago, random_soldier1337 said:

I was being facetious with my repeat responses to the template. I remember it. I used it 15 years ago. Maybe it's not as infallible as you think? Or maybe the people have changed? First time went great. Next 2 times including this, less so. I bet there were better people around because none of this happened on NBR 15 years ago.

And quit pushing this narrative of it being someone's job and then making it look like I'm not doing mine. That's all you are doing. This is a discussion forum for laptop enthusiasts. Nothing is anyone's job. I don't know about staff, admin or other mods but as far as posting goes, it should all be freely given. You can't be bothered, then don't bother. I don't see the issue with that.

Have you considered that some might be more novice than others and/or they don't know which resources to consult regarding all the things you're asking when you blame them for not knowing enough? Have you considered editing the template to be more detailed? Or best yet, why don't you sticky a bunch of good resources regarding information for all the things you are asking for so people can go "educate" themselves before coming here?

I wasn't pushing back until you had saturnotaku essentially start yelling in text format. What was the need for that? Maybe that's the real problem. I don't have anything against the others. I appreciate their response given the "lack of information". Then you just go justifying saturnotakus behavior and start pushing your own agenda.

Regarding your alienware suggestion, you added in that the good reviews were coming specifically from experienced tuners. I don't count myself among them so I considered the point moot.

If I could have predicted your attitude as well as I did your response, believe me I would never have bothered.

I actually have had good discussions elsewhere (and here as well after making some noise, just not with you) as well as a few actually pointing out resources for things I don't know and should know about.

If you dont know, then ask how to find out. I didnt have @saturnotaku do anything. He's not the type to take orders from the internet in the first place.

So you have no interest in filling out the template, and arent interested in recommended systems.

This thread has run its course, locked.