NotebookTalk

I think I want to start a new workstation build.....hmmmmmm

kojack

I am thinking about going balls to the walls for a workstation system.  I want to base this system off the Asus (going against my better judgement) WS W690-Sage SE board as a starting point. Seeing as I have my dell maxed out inside and I am afraid to add anything more powerful because of PSU limitations, I am going to build a new beast for myself. 

Stay tuned for parts ideas!

• Like 1

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

Hah what's your budget? Lots of different ranges when going with the WS W690... What is your workload like? May be worth investing in GPU vs CPU power...

The motherboard alone costs more than my Epyc motherboard/cpu/256GB of ram, lol.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Haha 1

Desktop | Intel i9-12900k | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F | 2x16GB Oloy DDR5 @ 6400mhz CL32 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | AW3821DW| 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 | All under water |

Server | SM846 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7F52 | Supermicro H12SSL-I | Tesla P40 24GB | 256GB 3200MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Backup Server | SM826 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7302 | Supermicro H11SSL-I | Tesla P4 8GB | 256GB 2133MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Dell XPS 9510 | Intel  i7-11800H | RTX 3050 Ti | 16GB 3200mhz | 1TB SX8200 | 1080P |

Going to be pushing 6k timelines through it.  I want to just build the biggest beast I can build. Dual power supplies, BIG tower, A load of drives inside. I am ramping up work now. 

• Thumb Up 2

I mean you can easily spend 20k on it without too much difficulty. I'm all for spending money for fun but I think you should come up with a good game plan.

You can play around with supermicro's config:

https://store.supermicro.com/us_en/supermicro-superworksation-full-tower-sys-551a-t.html?utm=smcpp&_gl=1*1e2viij*_ga*MTU5NDU4MTA0Ni4xNjcyMTEwOTAw*_ga_K1TNNPLV4M*MTY4NTEyNDk5NS4yNS4xLjE2ODUxMjUwNzEuNTIuMC4w

• Thumb Up 2

Desktop | Intel i9-12900k | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F | 2x16GB Oloy DDR5 @ 6400mhz CL32 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | AW3821DW| 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 | All under water |

Server | SM846 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7F52 | Supermicro H12SSL-I | Tesla P40 24GB | 256GB 3200MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Backup Server | SM826 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7302 | Supermicro H11SSL-I | Tesla P4 8GB | 256GB 2133MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Dell XPS 9510 | Intel  i7-11800H | RTX 3050 Ti | 16GB 3200mhz | 1TB SX8200 | 1080P |

I know I can spend 20k, but for that 20k it will mop the floor with the mac pro for 70k Cdn.  I am going to put a build sheet together. I am first looking for a tower that takes dual PSUs, and will house multiple drives and video cards without issue. That's the first item and then move on from there.  Finding the cpu in Canada is another issue I will have to contend with.

• Thumb Up 2

you seem to be a buying frenzy, you should share pics of all this. what cpu were you thinking

• Haha 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

On 5/28/2023 at 4:43 PM, ryan said:

you seem to be a buying frenzy, you should share pics of all this. what cpu were you thinking

I was thinking of the biggest xeon.  I am flip flopping, of course on just using the pro art z790 board again now. I want the beast, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE that fractal north case and that keeps drawing me in to have a modern wooden trimmed case on my workstation. We are building a new studio here on the property about 14x18 with all our creative gear in it. It will be a workspace for my family to create and enjoy together.  We are bringing elements of wood, metal and soft textures to the inside of the building to make it a relaxing enjoyable space. My wife and I are going to have matching workstations so, the North case is the logical choice. Her computer will not have as powerful internals as mine but it will basically look the same but hers will be the white model and mine will be the black. 

We will have a filming section with nice sofa and lighting to give a truly professional feel to our work, and when clients come into the studio they have a nice comfortable place to talk and relax as well. 

We will have our notebooks for working on the road when we go and work at our workstations when home.  It's been a long drawn-out process to get all our stuff up and running. But the finish line is about 3 months off. I have gotten my schedule at Bell changed to 6 on / 8 off in order to focus my time more on my family and our work moving forward. It's coming together but slowly. 

I will have pics of some stuff soon!

oh nice, sounds pricey.

I finally got my laptop back and will be making 100 plus music albums to generate passive income for a few years, I don't need a beastly laptop or desktop, I will however need storage and ram. looking at upgrading to 32gb ram and 3 tb ssd.

• Confused 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

1 minute ago, ryan said:

oh nice, sounds pricey.

I finally got my laptop back and will be making 100 plus music albums to generate passive income for a few years, I don't need a beastly laptop or desktop, I will however need storage and ram. looking at upgrading to 32gb ram and 3 tb ssd.

That's it.  I worked my entire life from the time I was 16, and it's time to start spending time with my family.  We have the income right now to do it...Nice dig btw. 

• Thumb Up 2

? whats with the confused emoji?

but yeah better today then tomorrow. life ends eventually i guess the live every day like its your last applies

• Haha 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

I was somewhat confused with your comment if it was legit or a dig at me...that's all.  If was the former, I appolgise!  Music production is fun and a great way to generate income. 

The wife is like myself now. She wants that fractal case in white.  ha ha.  Who am I to say no? 

• Thumb Up 1

oh no bro I was serious I make nature music. sorry for the confusion and thanks for being civil about it. and as reciever mentioned maybe a used workstation is the way to go? what do you think about that?

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Nah, I appreciate his ideas, but I am in the build a beast mood...Maybe not the SE board beast, but I am in a tinkering mood.  Buying one is a very smart option. To anyone else out there, do not do what I am going to do. ha ha!

damn man, if this does fall through you will be a legend. 10k dropped on a computer. insane. I hope you get a complimentary time machine, if you do go back a few days and whoop my ass for what I said to eternal

• Haha 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

16 hours ago, ryan said:

oh no bro I was serious I make nature music. sorry for the confusion and thanks for being civil about it. and as reciever mentioned maybe a used workstation is the way to go? what do you think about that?

You have me intrigued.  Nature music.  Got an example I can listen to?  As long as it's not current pop/hip hop apple'efied crap, I am in!  

So, After long searches, I have found something like what we are planning to do for our creators shed.  This is the idea, but we will be having a little different setup, but the idea is the same!  the difference with Dunna's shed is that he still has to use is as a workshop type space, where I have PLENTY of that in my barn/workshop.  I have my full mechanics shop and wood working shop in there. So the "weshed" will be used ONLY for content and working as a family!

• Thumb Up 1

5 hours ago, kojack said:

current pop/hip hop apple'efied crap

lol hip hop nature music, thats a new one bro.

It's easy

1) download and install magix music maker

2) get ambient and relaxation sound pools from producer planet

3) fiddle

4) profit and cross your fingers one becomes a hit and your a millionaire overnight

I wouldn't have told you, but your a senior member here at NBT, I think someone like you could make a killing. also alas its fun making music not one second of wasted time. I think the best ideas are often the simplest.
  • Bump 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

That's exactly what I had in mind when you said nature music. I have to give that a shot for sure. I might even take my digital recorder to some places around here for some sound effects 

• Like 1

it can generate 1000 per album and an album can be made in 2 hours. so 500/per hour. its ok I don't bother as im on disability and have issues with motivation. the beauty of it is it turns into passive income once you get your return, it will always give you money long after its been made and pending how many you make it could be 2 bucks x(album quantity) so say you did 1000 albums thats 2000 per day for the rest of your life that is if you get good at it and if it becomes a hit you could see 300 000 generated off one song. and if your doing 10 000 songs the odds of a hit are high.

id like to add check out tunecore.com its about 60 bucks to get it posted in about 300 stores and amuse.io is another one

also with your creative work background you could make killer album covers. I'd be willing to pay you(future broke right now) for them as they cost money and im no good at art.

with the money you make you could invest in a graphene stock or two. One that creates and one that incorperates the tech and material and in a few years the last thing on your mind will be money as alot of the penny stocks in graphene are projected to be pretty big gains 6000 percent kinda like silicon back in the day.

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

A new reason to put some cool recording equipment into my music room! ha ha!

if you need help you know where to find me. i'd say go for it maybe younger son can give you a thumbs up or down and aide you.

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled