NotebookTalk

Asus being called out everywhere for their crappy handling of warranties....thoughts?

kojack

So, a bunch of high profile people on YouTube have been calling out Asus for their handling of the AMD chip motherboard issues. They have settings that cook the chips, and destroy the motherboards, then refuse to warranty said motherboards claiming it was user error.  

Now that they are called out on their BS, do you think that they will start taking their warranties more seriously? 

What's everyone's thoughts on this?  If they did, I would have everything Asus in my studio. 

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

Public pressure seems to have worked, at least to a small extent, with ASRock as they've recently starting putting out much higher quality products. Plus, the new motherboards they're showing off at this year's Computex appear to be in response to community feedback of wanting high-end parts but without unnecessary bling. We can only hope Asus will follow a similar path.

• Thumb Up 3

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Yeah. I hope they honor warranties.  I would have everything asus as I like their ideas. But I had a bad experience and it seems that I am not alone in that when it comes to warranty.  Let hope we see a reversal soon and I can happily buy their stuff. 

I had a asus laptop a few times, they both served well. I don't know how they compete in the desktop space, but they better honor their warranties or they will be out of business fast

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

13 hours ago, ryan said:

I had a asus laptop a few times, they both served well. I don't know how they compete in the desktop space, but they better honor their warranties or they will be out of business fast

Not so, They have been doing this for years. It's just now that Gamers Nexus and a few others are calling them out that they are changing their ways. 

• Thumb Up 1

Asus quality control is hit or miss. I don't like the brand or the company because every enthusiast motherboard I have owned that they made either failed or had something wrong with it. When they do good they offer some truly amazing motherboards. When they don't, they're very bad and their warranty service is atrocious. They look for reasons too shirk their responsibility under warranty.

Oddly enough, their mid-range and budget Strix and Prime motherboards have been reliable for me. It's only their most expensive high-end stuff that is unreliable and it has been unpleasant to deal with on the warranty side.

With things like Armory Crate and Aura their support is also pathetic. Now that they have moved to UWP filth and no longer produce legacy win32 applications, their software is unreliable, often unusable, and extraordinarily bloated. More than half the time Armory Crate will not even install and when it does it usually does not function properly.

The ROG Strix 4090 that I purchased was grossly overpriced and performed poorly compared to the MSI Suprim. It was $400 more, absolutely sucked at overclocking and I returned it for a refund. It had some pretty tacky looking default lighting features on it that were only controllable using their broken UWP garbage. I know that Brother @electrosofthad to RMA a Suprim that was a lousy silicon sample, but it did not come with a $400 premium attached for an imaginary state of excellence like the Strix turd does.

I have a Z690 Apex. Its memory overclocking abilities are pathetic and below average. They marketed it as superior and charged accordingly, in spite of its inferiority and their shameful misrepresentation of its abilities. I have its lighting features disabled because there is no reliable way to control the rainbow puke thanks to their trashy software.

I'm very happy to see them coming under fire and I hope all of the negative tech media attention causes them extreme financial harm or results in an immediate change of approach that is customer centric. If not, then they deserve whatever misfortune comes to them and I'll be happy to see it come as retribution for their crimes and underhanded approach to business.

• Thumb Up 3

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Asus is a company I want to love but I just can't. Their monitors have typically been fantastic, with the new OLED and 360 Hz 1440p IPS ones being other-worldly. I haven't had any issues with the TUF X570 that powers my current desktop after the AS(s)Rock board that I was previously using crapped out. Their gaming laptops have some of the best feeling and most responsive keyboards and trackpads. At the same time, Armoury Crate is a pile of suck that makes Razer Synapse look like it was handed down on stone tablets from the Almighty himself. Their GPUs are vastly overpriced and suffer from the worst coil whine I've ever heard. If I do end up upgrading my desktop later this year (still unlikely at this point), I'll probably switch over to MSI. My 4070 is their Ventus OC model, which runs super cool and extremely quiet.

• Thumb Up 4

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

37 minutes ago, saturnotaku said:

Asus is a company I want to love but I just can't. Their monitors have typically been fantastic, with the new OLED and 360 Hz 1440p IPS ones being other-worldly. I haven't had any issues with the TUF X570 that powers my current desktop after the AS(s)Rock board that I was previously using crapped out. Their gaming laptops have some of the best feeling and most responsive keyboards and trackpads. At the same time, Armoury Crate is a pile of suck that makes Razer Synapse look like it was handed down on stone tablets from the Almighty himself. Their GPUs are vastly overpriced and suffer from the worst coil whine I've ever heard. If I do end up upgrading my desktop later this year (still unlikely at this point), I'll probably switch over to MSI. My 4070 is their Ventus OC model, which runs super cool and extremely quiet.

You are like me. I WANT to use their stuff as it is great for my use case. However, I am very scared because of my previous experience with them. I hope they shape up now. I would love to have a complete pro art setup for us. 

• Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Asus quality control is hit or miss. I don't like the brand or the company because every enthusiast motherboard I have owned that they made either failed or had something wrong with it. When they do good they offer some truly amazing motherboards. When they don't, they're very bad and their warranty service is atrocious. They look for reasons too shirk their responsibility under warranty.

Oddly enough, their mid-range and budget Strix and Prime motherboards have been reliable for me. It's only their most expensive high-end stuff that is unreliable and it has been unpleasant to deal with on the warranty side.

With things like Armory Crate and Aura their support is also pathetic. Now that they have moved to UWP filth and no longer produce legacy win32 applications, their software is unreliable, often unusable, and extraordinarily bloated. More than half the time Armory Crate will not even install and when it does it usually does not function properly.

The ROG Strix 4090 that I purchased was grossly overpriced and performed poorly compared to the MSI Suprim. It was $400 more, absolutely sucked at overclocking and I returned it for a refund. It had some pretty tacky looking default lighting features on it that were only controllable using their broken UWP garbage. I know that Brother @electrosofthad to RMA a Suprim that was a lousy silicon sample, but it did not come with a $400 premium attached for an imaginary state of excellence like the Strix turd does.

I have a Z690 Apex. Its memory overclocking abilities are pathetic and below average. They marketed it as superior and charged accordingly, in spite of its inferiority and their shameful misrepresentation of its abilities. I have its lighting features disabled because there is no reliable way to control the rainbow puke thanks to their trashy software.

I'm very happy to see them coming under fire and I hope all of the negative tech media attention causes them extreme financial harm or results in an immediate change of approach that is customer centric. If not, then they deserve whatever misfortune comes to them and I'll be happy to see it come as retribution for their crimes and underhanded approach to business.

I started to sour on Asus with their BIOS updates disabling persistent RGB effects through power offs forcing continuous use of their Crate software which continues to bloat and collect data in the worst way. MSI GPUs and MBs all retain their settings even if I remove every bit of power they retain them (like EVGA does), but Asus? Nope, their GPUs and now MBs all lose their settings trying to force you to use their garbage software.

I still have a Prime B660 and Strix D4 Z690 I use along with a Strix 3080 10GB. I really do like their BIOS but they are this close >< to being Razer-like in their pricing and enforced software usage (or trying to).

I just simply refuse to keep expensive items that I know I can't accept and use long term for many reasons and I will exercise my return rights each and every time. I'm not going to, "suck it up," and keep it since I bought it.

Since EVGA exited the market on GPUs, I've kind of just switched over to MSI which was my second favorite behind them anyhow and my last 3 MB purchases have been from them. Like @Mr. Fox I'm happy with my current MSI Suprim 4090 on every level.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

MelMel:  (Retrofit currently in progress)

I am not sure the ProArt line has the same set of issues you are talking about since it's directed at a different audience. I am not going to be using RGB much etc. more in a professional studio environment.  I am not sure if this changes anything or not?  

• Thumb Up 1

21 minutes ago, kojack said:

I am not sure the ProArt line has the same set of issues you are talking about since it's directed at a different audience. I am not going to be using RGB much etc. more in a professional studio environment.  I am not sure if this changes anything or not?  

Biggest issue is slow and painful warranty fulfillment. They charge a very high premium for their top shelf products, yet the QC is poor and the response when they drop the ball is less than impressive. For the high premium, they need to actually deliver something in return. They do not. You either get lucky or you don't. If you don't, you can expect 3 to 8 weeks to get a replacement motherboard, with outbound shipping on your own dime and potential excuses for denying your warranty. Real life examples of excuses are bent CPU socket pins that were not bent when it was sent to them, (and photos of someone else's motherboard used by ASUS when challenged,) thermal paste smudged on the motherboard PCB--yes, I have seen that lame excuse--cosmetic blemishes on components like a scratched finish on VRM heat sinks and I/O shields that have no effect on product fuctionality. They look for opportunities to shirk their contractual obligations under warranty, even when the basis for it has zero merit. The recent nonsense around flashing a BIOS they provide voids the warranty fits the behavior pattern to a tee.

They should be providing a cross-ship advanced RMA process for the people they have charged exhorbitant prices just as they do their server motherboards. A secondary issue, but equally raises questions about their integrity, or lack thereof, is the misleading marketing fluff. Some of it borders on deception and misrepresentation that rivals the similar unethical behavior Alienware has become famous for. At least Alienware provides fast and friendly warranty service. (Not enough to make me stoop to buying their goofed up trash, but credit where credit is due.)

• Thumb Up 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

I had a ROG G752VT. In 2016 the GPU glitched out several times, then the poor keyboard quality started to slip through during that year and despite efforts trying a new key cap they still broke very very easily. I don't know if it was that model or the one I got in particular was flawed, but so was the replacement keyboard I had to buy.

Since Asus believed it was user induced damage they just upright said that and wasn't applicable for warranty. Keyboards shouldn't be that fragile for something used for gaming.

Haven't opted for Asus since.

Dell Precision 7540 (Delta fans equipped) | Not in use: HP Elitebook 8470P, ThinkPad X131e, ThinkPad T61, Dell Precision M4800 (dead), HP Zbook 15 G2

1 hour ago, kojack said:

For high-end displays, you still can't beat Dell. Their screens are built extremely well and last forever.

• Thumb Up 3

3 hours ago, saturnotaku said:

For high-end displays, you still can't beat Dell. Their screens are built extremely well and last forever.

I agree. I have two.  I may goto a wide screen but i'm using 2 24 inch dells now and they are doing great. 

Asus obviously have been working hard on the marketing side of things. Sponsored reviews aside, another upshot of that effort is the operation ProArt where overpriced and/or sub-standard relative to price components are being punted to "creators" at a healthy premium (my favourite examples of that include the $5000k ProArt PA32UCG monitor, as well as the ProArt motherboards). The underlying assumption here is that "creators" tend to be more on the technically naive side, and will fall for the marketing (incl., as we now know, the "reviews") hook, line and sinker. What's particularly clever about that is that they will soon just rename the line to PromptArt, and sort of maintain brand continuity, while seamlessly scaling the components down further as prompting cloud AI services like Midjourney to create pretty much any (static, as of the current version) visual art one might fancy doesn't actually require any significant local compute (or creative skills for that matter).

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity