NotebookTalk

So What Did You Save from NBR?

Samir

Along with the large massive archive operations, I'm sure we all had our 'little piece of the old' that we wanted to keep.  What was yours and how did you do it?

I saved almost every page of every thread related to the 8760w and m6800 as a pdf.  I then found some cool stuff on the D610 and C400 and got some of those before I called it a night...and that was the end.  I didn't have a chance to search for even 1/10 of the models of laptops I own. :(

How about you?

Not too much sadly. I saved my old reviews of the two laptops in my sig, plus a rant I once went on about the evils of max-q (lol). I also transferred over here a guide I wrote (with help from many other NBR users) in the MSI forum about micro-stuttering. Otherwise, I restarted a couple of off-topic threads here and tried to memorialize and thank their original creators in doing so. So sad to see so much lost, but glad to have saved at least some of it, and glad for the archive project too.

• Thumb Up 1

Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 15" NP940X5N - 15.0" 1080p IPS glossy touchscreen | Intel Coffeelake i7-8550U CPU | AMD Radeon 540 GPU with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM | 16GB Dual Channel DDR4 RAM | 256GB SSD | Intel Wireless AC 8625 | S Pen

MSI GS43VR 6RE Phantom Pro - 14" 1080p IPS matte screen | Intel Skylake i7-6700HQ CPU | nVidia Pascal GTX 1060 GPU with 6GB GDDR5 VRAM | 16GB Dual Channel DDR4 2400MHz RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo M.2 SSD | 1TB Samsung 860 Evo 2.5" SSD | Intel Wireless AC 8260 | Thunderbolt 3 port | IC Diamond Thermal Compound on CPU + GPU

I saved the HTML files of the Clevo laptops I owned and I archived the entire Clevo section in JSON format minus the subsections.

Here is my dump of the Clevo section: https://www.mediafire.com/file/wobk5svd7xh1sy7/NotebookReview_Clevo_2022-25-25_13-38-48.zip/file

Edit: I also dumped the MSI section, the link is here but it's way smaller than Clevo for some reason so maybe it didn't dump everything: https://www.mediafire.com/file/wk4oqgks5ryhk4a/NotebookReview+MSI+2022-27-27_02-23-24.zip/file

• Thumb Up 1

Not surprisingly, I wasn't looking at individual threads much while working on the larger efforts, although in the first few days when it was far from certain those efforts would reach as far as they did, the forums which corresponded to laptops I own - Dell, MSI, and HP Business Class - were a priority.  But there were countless useful posts in Hardware and Windows over the years, and even remembering all of them - many of which I referred to about a decade ago - would have been impossible.  I figured those were lost, as those forums were so large, and there was already so much to cover in the Manufacturer forums, that getting to them seemed impossible.  Had that been the case, I likely would have one-off archived the ThrottleStop Guide, but that's about it.

But this thread also got me wondering, what did I archive years ago?  So I looked through my MHTML archives locally.  I found some interesting stuff that showed my interests over the years - getting > 4 GB RAM on 32-bit Win7, GNU/Linux info for a '90s laptop, replacing CMOS batteries in old PCs.  But the only NBR thread I found was "How to Enable Intel Dynamic Acceleration (IDA) on Both Cores of a Core 2 Duo" by unclewebb.  This used ThrottleStop, and I very much remember how cool it was to be able to hit 2.4 GHz on both threads!  But I'm surprised that's the only one.  Why didn't I save "Kind of a Guide: How to Bake Your GPU for Fun and for Profit!", which I knew I'd need some day?  Why had I never saved off a copy of the ultimate upgrade guides for my laptops?  I'm still planning to upgrade my 2007 Inspiron to heights it has never reached before!  Just waiting for the parts to arrive!

I suppose part of the conclusion must be that NBR seemed like a stable resource, whereas many of the resources I did save are from sites or blogs that I don't recognize; I didn't know if they'd still be there in a year.  I'm sure if I dig up an old Opera bookmarks file from that time period, there will be some NBR bookmarks in there.  But few NBR threads made it onto my hard drive. 

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

2 hours ago, Sandy Bridge said:

I suppose part of the conclusion must be that NBR seemed like a stable resource, whereas many of the resources I did save are from sites or blogs that I don't recognize; I didn't know if they'd still be there in a year.  I'm sure if I dig up an old Opera bookmarks file from that time period, there will be some NBR bookmarks in there.  But few NBR threads made it onto my hard drive. 

And I think this is the lesson about digital technology that we all need to be aware of.  I still remember that I lost all my Eclipse to Galant bushing cross reference work that I posted on The Galant Center when it when down due to a database crash.  Even without an intention forum closing, data loss can happen.  I've learned that even if I find a thread on something that I can reference later, I not only save the bookmark, but I print it to pdf and file it where I can find it (usually something like Dell\Model_number\yyyy-mo\filename.pdf) just in case.  I did this with so many threads on NBR once I found out it was going down, and I probably only scratched the surface of what I need. :(

• Thumb Up 1

Yeah the same just got a screenshot for rep verification. I was thinking of copying my gateway thread but nah that was in the moment comments with some helpful files which I was the one that uploaded and got the file or two from others so no need to save anything there. The thread I thought had the most useful info was the win OS one but I'm sure that'll be replicated mostly in this and the other forums.

1 hour ago, cucubits said:

I did manage to save a screenshot of my profile. I was sort of hoping the forum we end up on, would import some of that data and maybe we could show the date we joined NBR, rep, post count, etc.

One thing you could do is crop it down to the size that it would have been as your avatar and then see how it looks here--that's one way to carry it forward. :)

• Thumb Up 1

Made sure to save the Thinkpad W520 and Inspiron 7577 owner threads since those are the laptops I own and commonly use. Outside of that, tried doing a simple wget for the entire forums to (possibly?) some success?

Dell Inspiron 7577 (Mayu) - i7-7700HQ, GTX 1060MQ, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 128GB NVMe + 1TB HDD, 1080p, Win10 Home
DIY Desktop (Altair) - i7-8700K, Radeon 6600 8GB, 32GB DDR4-3200, 256GB NVMe + 256GB SSD + 8TB HDD, 1080p x3, Win11 Home
DIY Server (Mobius) - i3-4150, 8GB DDR3-1600, 34TB usable (50TB raw), Samsung EVO 860 500GB cache, unRAID 6.9.2 Pro
Other machines: DIY Desktop (Mashiro), Thinkpad W520 (Strigon), Thinkpad X61t (Aquila), Asus T100
RIP NBR

I have saved everything related to Clevo P870DM (bios, mods etc.)

Desktop - MSI B650 Tomahawk Wifi | AMD 7800X3D | 32 GB Trident Z5 Neo RGB 6000Mhz | MSI RTX 4070TI Suprim X  | Alienware 27 AW2724DM 2K 165 Hz Gsync | Samsung 990 Pro Nvme - Boot | Other various storage | Windows 10 Pro x64

SOLD - Clevo P870DM-G | i9-9700K 4.5 Ghz on all cores (-50 mv undervolted) | 32GB Hyper X Black 2666MHz | Clevo RTX 2080 3.1b undervolted for better temp 1905Mhz @881 mv | AUO B173HAN03.1 144hz Gsync | Samsung 980 NVME | Dsanke TM BIOS - Chujoi13 adapted based on needs | Network Card: Intel AX210-AX | Windows 10 Pro x64

On archiv.org are several Backups from the old NBR i do this Backup on the 30th January and you can watch every single topic if needed.

NotebookReview (archive.org) it is the complete NBR Forum so far.

check it out.

cheerio

jp

1. Desktop Gaming RIG | i7 13700KF | MSI MEGZ690 Unify | F5-6400 CL32 not testet yet  | M.2_1 SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 1TB | MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X Trio white Edition | Lian Li O11D XL with 10 Fan setup | 3 bottom (in-take) | 3 top (in-take) | 3 side (out-take | 1 back (out.take)
2. Mobile Gaming | Raider GE78HX 13VI

3. MSI GS63VR 6RF Stealth
4. MSI GE73VR 7RF Raider with 4K Screen

R.I.P GE76 Raider 11UH-208 UK with BOE CQ NE173QHM-NZ1 WQHD 240Hz

• 1 month later...