NotebookTalk

Strange USB-C docking station (hub) problem with my LG Gram 17

Steerpike

I have an LG Gram 17, 2021 (11th gen CPU) with 2 USB-C ports (plus two USB-A ports, and an HDMI port). 

In order to get RJ45 ethernet connectivity, and for general-purpose port expansion, I bought the BaseUS 8-in-1 Type C 'hub', which offers 3 USB-A ports, one USB-C port, an HDMI port, and an RJ45 port. Amazon.com: Baseus 8-in-1 USB C Hub Docking Station, USB C Adapter with 4K HDMI, 3 USB 3.0, TF/SD Reader, Ethernet, 100W Power Delivery Compatible with MacBook, Surface, iPad, Steam Deck or Other Type C Devices : Electronics 

I use the laptop 99% of the time away from the docking station, but when I need to do some serious file transfers or downloads/uploads, I hook to the docking station so I can get wired ethernet.  The other day, I plugged in the docking station and noticed ethernet was not working (and the green/amber lights on the RJ45 were not lit). I unplugged/replugged a few times, and magically ethernet returned. A few days later, similar experience. I paid attention to device manager, and noticed that, when RJ45 lights not lit, the device 'Gigabit Ethernet Adapter' was not present in device manager. BUT - other peripherals connected to the docking station (eg, mouse) were working - so it was not the whole docking station that wasn't working, just the RJ45 ethernet port. 

I then tried hooking the docking station to the other USB-C port on my laptop, and the RJ45 port was there / working. I then moved it back to the first USB-C port, and it disappeared again.  This is very confusing and worrying to me - why would the device work/not work depending on which USB-C port I was connected to?  I then unplugged/replugged a few times, and the RJ45 port showed up on the previously-non-working USB-C port. To confirm - not all the docking station ports disappear, just the RJ45 port (I'm not using most of the other ports, so I can't say definitively which ports are / are not working). 

Can anyone think of why this might be happening? 

2 hours ago, Reciever said:

Cant say I can narrow down your issue but i'll just share some thoughts

Are you using it with your laptops ac adapter or powering via usb port?

When I connect to the USB hub, I attach the power supply to the one USB-C port on the hub, and then connect the hub to the laptop. So power is coming 'through' the hub. And I think that's the way they intend it to be used.  But just now, I've tried connecting the power supply directly to the laptop, and then connecting the hub to the second USB-C port on the laptop. So in this mode, the hub is getting its power through the laptop.  Seems to be working, so I'll see if it is any more reliable. 

Ultimately, as much as I love the concept of the USB-C port being so flexible (HDMI, Ethernet, Power, storage, peripherals, etc) it's also a very vulnerable element. There's only two USB-C ports on my laptop, and if one were to break, that could spell disaster. You 'must' use one of them for power, so there's only one left for 'everything else'.  For that reason, I've adopted the use of the 'USB-C magsafe' connectors, discussed elsewhere in this forum (Amazon.com: DuHeSin USB C Magnetic Adapter, (2 Pack) Magnetic USB C Adapter, 24Pins USB3.1 10Gbps Data Transfer 4K 60Hz Video PD 100w Charge Compatible with MacBook Pro/Air USB-C Laptop : Electronics), but they aren't the perfect panacea I was looking for. 

7 hours ago, Reciever said:

Let us know how it behaves under that configuration for a day or two 🙂

I appreciate the interest, but - it may be a month before I need to have fast (wired) ethernet access again!  I normally make do with my sub-par wireless access and sit in the comfort of my living room. It's only when I'm about to copy an entire folder structure that I bother to hook up to the 'wired' connection in my bedroom.  But I'll keep an eye on it! 

3 hours ago, Steerpike said:

I appreciate the interest, but - it may be a month before I need to have fast (wired) ethernet access again!  I normally make do with my sub-par wireless access and sit in the comfort of my living room. It's only when I'm about to copy an entire folder structure that I bother to hook up to the 'wired' connection in my bedroom.  But I'll keep an eye on it! 

I got around that with hooking up another AX router closer to the ceiling, right beneath my room on the second floor. Since I rent I cant just go drilling holes and such. All that being said, im subbed 🙂