Jump to content
NotebookTalk

Computer repair kit


RandomIdiot

Recommended Posts

I've had my laptop for just over 1 year now, and I figure it's about time to crack it open and give it a good cleaning - and maybe replace the garbage wifi card and upgrade the RAM.

I have plenty of screwdrivers and such, but nothing for working on smaller things so I was thinking about getting an actual electronic repair kit. I can't justify paying $100CAD for the ifixit kit, but I'd like something better than the $10 Chinese junk Amazon is selling. Can anybody recommend a decently priced good quality set?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/9/2023 at 12:46 PM, RandomIdiot said:

I've had my laptop for just over 1 year now, and I figure it's about time to crack it open and give it a good cleaning - and maybe replace the garbage wifi card and upgrade the RAM.

I have plenty of screwdrivers and such, but nothing for working on smaller things so I was thinking about getting an actual electronic repair kit. I can't justify paying $100CAD for the ifixit kit, but I'd like something better than the $10 Chinese junk Amazon is selling. Can anybody recommend a decently priced good quality set?

 

I have decent success with the cheaper stuff but one of the bits did break on me, have had it for about a year now I think? 

 

https://www.amazon.com/STREBITO-Screwdriver-142-Piece-Electronics-Precision/dp/B08SGM6F79/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=precision+screwdriver+set&s=electronics&sr=1-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

 

not sure if it will be the same price in Canada though

  • Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is a cheaper version of the ifixit kit that will have all the screwdrivers and pry tools you need:

 

iFixit Essential Electronics & Computer Repair Tool Kit | Best Buy Canada

  • Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 2

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M3 Pro 12-core CPU | 18 GB RAM | 18-core GPU | 1 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I put a price watch on the smaller iFixit kit - I really doubt I'd ever use most of the bits on those +100 piece kits anyways.

I do have a small enough screwdriver to tackle the screws on my Lenovo, so no need to rush out and buy anything, ATM.

 

That said, something bad really needs to happen to the person(s) that unleashed those damn plastic tabs on the world. Almost lost a fingernail trying to pry the case open - even using a makeshift pick. I really miss my old MSi, where I only had to remove one screw to take off the maintenance panel (not to mention just having a maintenance panel and not needing to disassemble the entire laptop just to clean it)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2023 at 6:33 PM, RandomIdiot said:

 

That said, something bad really needs to happen to the person(s) that unleashed those damn plastic tabs on the world. Almost lost a fingernail trying to pry the case open - even using a makeshift pick.

Real picks make a big difference.  The plastic tabs are still annoying and even so often I still break one so it doesn't reattach the same later, but having used credit cards and makeshift picks, and then used a pick from an iFixit kit, there's a huge difference when you have the right tool for the job.

 

I have two inexpensive kits I acquired over the years, a set of about 20 mostly-small-Philips-head-and-flathead screwdrivers from Amazon and a roughly 35-piece kit of various types, all small sizes, from Micro Center.  They are not bad, might not last a century but for my level of use will last a decade, but lack picks.  (Not linking them because it's been years and I'm not sure I could even find them online today) When I needed something that neither kit had, I finally got an iFixit kit, and they're higher-durability steel, and include picks.  In retrospect, it would have been best to just start with a high-quality iFixit kit and not need to buy another.  But I don't think they had their kits when I got my first Amazon kit.

 

It's not so much about using all the bits, as not needing to acquire a few bits this year and a few more the next year.  Especially if ordering online, shipping can make the piecemeal approach more expensive over time.

  • Thumb Up 1

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

  

On 9/19/2023 at 4:33 PM, RandomIdiot said:

I put a price watch on the smaller iFixit kit - I really doubt I'd ever use most of the bits on those +100 piece kits anyways.

I do have a small enough screwdriver to tackle the screws on my Lenovo, so no need to rush out and buy anything, ATM.

 

That said, something bad really needs to happen to the person(s) that unleashed those damn plastic tabs on the world. Almost lost a fingernail trying to pry the case open - even using a makeshift pick. I really miss my old MSi, where I only had to remove one screw to take off the maintenance panel (not to mention just having a maintenance panel and not needing to disassemble the entire laptop just to clean it)

 

I use iFixit Pro Tech Toolkit it's not a cheap item but I'm very satisfied.

Edited by Custom90gt
fixing the quote
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use