NotebookTalk

Oculus quest VR

Eban

So a while ago now I bought an Oculus Quest. (The first one not second)

I played beat saber mostly, did some side loading. Watched some YouTube VR exploration videos. Tried to get skyrim VR tethered on my AW17

Anyway my son stole it for a while and I havent seen it in over year or so and now he is moving out and wants to return it.

Has anything magical happened with these? some great game Im missing out on? Interesting hacks?

Thunderchild // Lenovo Legion Y740 17" i7-9750H rtx2080maxQ win10 

RainBird // Alienware 17 (Ranger) i7-4910mq gtx860m win10LTSC

4 hours ago, Eban said:

So a while ago now I bought an Oculus Quest. (The first one not second)

I played beat saber mostly, did some side loading. Watched some YouTube VR exploration videos. Tried to get skyrim VR tethered on my AW17

Anyway my son stole it for a while and I havent seen it in over year or so and now he is moving out and wants to return it.

Has anything magical happened with these? some great game Im missing out on? Interesting hacks?

If you have a computer to to use the quest with, I highly recommend playing Boneworks. You've probably heard of it before, but it is a really, really fun game. I would say it is one of the best games I've ever played. The physics are great, the puzzles are challenging, but not too hard, and there's no rush for anything, you can work at your own pace or just play around with the physics if you want.

Clevo P870TM-G: Core i7 8700k @ 4.8ghz | Clevo GTX 1080 | 32gb HyperX DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 17" 1440p 120hz B173QTN01.0 Screen | 256gb Samsung 850 EVO | 500gb WD Blue SSD | 1tb Samsung 870 QVO | 2tb Seagate 5400rpm HDD | Prema BIOS

Alienware 17 R1: Core i7 4710mq @ 3.619ghz 741 CBR15 (834 CBR15 @ 4.213ghz) | Dell GTX 860m | 16gb HyperX DDR3L @ 2133mhz | 17" 3D 120hz LTN173HT02-T01 Screen | 256gb mSATA SSD

Asus Zephyrus G14: Ryzen 7 4800hs @ 4.2ghz | GTX 1650 | 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 14" 120hz LM140LF1F01 Screen | 512gb NVME SSD

I have 2 Quest 2's, mostly the kids play on them, I personally find VR headsets to be in their infancy so the games aren't yet equal to just playing a normal PC game on a normal screen. That being said, I think the best game on Oculus with a doubt is Zenith, it's still in beta, but you get access when you buy it. It's basically an MMO developed specifically for use with VR headsets. I am a RPG/MMO junkie, so I may be biased, but I haven't found another VR game that compares.

2 hours ago, Tenoroon said:

I highly recommend playing Boneworks

I love Boneworks. I remember not so fondly how quickly I gave myself motion sickness with it. Eventually I did work up to almost 1 hour long sessions of jumping and climbing around but sadly I haven't touched it in over a year now. I should really pick up VR. I have a shiny Index sitting and waiting for me to set it up again.

• Thumb Up 1

I did a sideload of Quake (or maybe quake 2, dont remember) anyway the fast paced motion on that made me feel queasy real quick.

Yes I have heard of Boneworks. I will try that and have a look for Zenith. 

Thank you for suggestions :classic_biggrin: @HWI @Tenoroon @cucubits

7 hours ago, ryan said:

the most impressive? half life alyx and millions agree

Yes I had forgotten that one.......and Im an original half life fan :classic_happy:

• Thumb Up 1

• 1 month later...

I was going to say if your thinking of jumping in to VR a good start would be a 100 dollar oculus quest 1....nice 1440p OLED displays and works with steam VR

this is a general comment directed to people thinking of jumping into VR

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• 1 month later...

sold both my vr headsets.....will be picking up a quest 3...looking for a bit better headset perhaps more comfortable

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

quest 3....?? ...I didnt know they released a new version.

I will have a peek

• 2 months later...

honestly there is a revolution of small glasses size ar and vr headsets hang tight....the future of gaming media consumption is nigh

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• 4 months later...
On 12/29/2022 at 9:32 AM, ryan said:

check out the NREAL air

Yeah still not there :classic_sad:

• 3 months later...

I'm thinking of buying a quest 2 after selling my originals. I kinda miss the immersion a tv simply cannot bring

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried out Vader Immortal? It's a Star Wars game that's really immersive and lets you use a lightsaber, so it's kind of like Beat Saber but with a story mode. Superhot VR is another really cool game that's been out for a while now, but if you haven't played it yet, you're in for a treat. As for hacks, I'm not sure if there have been any major ones since you last used your Quest, but have you checked out https://multitechverse.com/? They've got some cool articles on VR and gaming in general, so they might have some tips and tricks for you. Anyway, it's awesome that your son is returning the Quest to you. You've got some catching up to do, but I'm sure you'll have a blast getting back into it!

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

I tried valves half life alyx and I was blown away it really is the future. I own all three vader immortals when I get vr again ill check it out. no clue as to why im so impulsive and I always seem to return stuff

and welcome to NBT Are you an old NBRer

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• 4 months later...

they are working on a quest 3 lite for around 200usd, should be interesting and fingers crossed they don't skimp on the storage and screen

• Thumb Up 2

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• 1 month later...

quest 3 is out. Getting great reviews looks like the 30 percent bump in resolution over quest 2 as well as the improved lenses is stirring things up

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled