NotebookTalk

Eluktronics Mech-15/Prometheus XVII

GrandesBollas

• 2 months later...

I bought the Mech 15 G3R and it is a beast.  Hands down the best laptop I've ever owned.  Powerful, light, good battery life, and an absolute monster gaming platform.  It scored 7185 on R20, over 12000 on TimeSpy, and this is without the LPP!  Now, actually getting this laptop was a bit of a wait.  There were multiple shipping delays and I'm still waiting for my LPP (which should arrive later this week), but so far it's been great.

Some big items anyone looking to buy should know up front; the 12th gen chip in this laptop cannot be undervolted.  The BIOS is tuned by Premamod.  Eluktronics has yet to post drivers on their website so you might be in for a rough ride if you need to reinstall Windows.  DDR5 RAM is freaking hard to find right now!

Eluktronics Mech 15 G3R - 12900H/RTX 3080ti/32 GB DDR5@4800Mhz, Fury Impact/2x 2TB Samsung 990 Pro M.2 NVMe

Alienware M17 R1 - 9750H/RTX 2070MQ/32 GB DDR4@2600Mhz, GSkill/2x 1TB Off Brand NVMe SSDs

• 1 month later...

Current world record timespy for laptops with the Prometheus is sleeping on a lot of folks.  I think the LPP is going to be unbeatable, only possible competitor is Clevo or MSI thick builds (GT77), and appears the Eluktronics Prometheus is easily beating GT77 by several hundred points.  This new Tongfang has finally become directly competitive with the best available builds in performance.

Two weaknesses with the Prometheus. 

1. No G sync screen- means to get variable refresh rate on the screen (freesync) you'll take a performance hit routing through iGPU unless using external monitor.  There are

2. Keyboard sucks per reviews.  Legion, GT77, Alienware, Omen, many zephyrus ASUS models all have great keyboards out of the box these days with great non-mushy key travel, some clicky-ness with a mild mechanical feel.  If one is dropping $2k+ on a laptop little things like key feel start to become quite important.  The Mech 15 G3 obviously does not have this issue, but there is no 'Mech 17' tongfang with the latest internals and LPP available in the US market as far as I can tell.  If one needs the smaller size the Mech15 G3 is obviously a good choice but the best performance will always be in larger 16-17"+ models along with the extra screen real estate/keyboard room.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2022 at 6:49 PM, ringoffire said:

Current world record timespy for laptops with the Prometheus is sleeping on a lot of folks.  I think the LPP is going to be unbeatable, only possible competitor is Clevo or MSI thick builds (GT77), and appears the Eluktronics Prometheus is easily beating GT77 by several hundred points.  This new Tongfang has finally become directly competitive with the best available builds in performance.

Two weaknesses with the Prometheus. 

1. No G sync screen- means to get variable refresh rate on the screen (freesync) you'll take a performance hit routing through iGPU unless using external monitor.  There are

2. Keyboard sucks per reviews.  Legion, GT77, Alienware, Omen, many zephyrus ASUS models all have great keyboards out of the box these days with great non-mushy key travel, some clicky-ness with a mild mechanical feel.  If one is dropping $2k+ on a laptop little things like key feel start to become quite important.  The Mech 15 G3 obviously does not have this issue, but there is no 'Mech 17' tongfang with the latest internals and LPP available in the US market as far as I can tell.  If one needs the smaller size the Mech15 G3 is obviously a good choice but the best performance will always be in larger 16-17"+ models along with the extra screen real estate/keyboard room.

Well if it says anything. 
GAMING N SERIES - UNIWILL
There's that. 17 inch, battery is lower.than the mech. mechanical keyboard option.

On 7/13/2022 at 6:09 AM, VEGGIM said:

Well if it says anything. 
GAMING N SERIES - UNIWILL
There's that. 17 inch, battery is lower.than the mech. mechanical keyboard option.

Keyboard capabilities for the mech version should be relatively comparable to the MSI GT77 that is said to have a very nice keyboard except for the numpad that apparently is intended for hobbits.

I like what they are doing and if storage and memory options are good enough this seems to be the design to beat with regard to pure GPU performance.