NotebookTalk

FHD vs. OLED UHD battery life

Light

I'm wondering how battery life might compare between an Inspiron 16 2-in-1 with either:
(option 1) 16", FHD+ 1920x1200, 60Hz, WVA, Touch, 300 nit, ComfortView Plus

and 
(option 2) 16", UHD+ 3840x2400, 60Hz, OLED, Touch, WVA, 400 nit, ComfortView Plus

I'm not sure about the comparison between the two on this model, but...

Because OLED panels feature individually-lit pixels, they draw more power when displaying "bright" images than they do when displaying "dark" images.  If you can live mostly with "dark mode" applications and web sites then you can have longer battery life than if you are working with applications that use a lot of white backgrounds.

(This as opposed to LCD panels which draw pretty much the same amount of power no matter what is shown on the screen; you can still adjust the power draw by changing the whole display backlight brightness level.)

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

Well, we will see how it goes. I don't really use dark mode now... I'm not sure many of the websites I visit will switch to dark mode easily (gmail for example doesn't seem to switch if I set windows to dark mode as a test now. Actually it seems like testing right now none of the websites I visit actually change their page color to dark mode just switching windows to dark mode, so the majoirty of the screen stays bright/white.) So I may regret my choice in a power outage, but I went ahead and went for the oled. They reduced the price by $400 yesterday so the oled UHD is the same price as the FHD version right now, and adds an nvidia geforce mx550 for better or worse (battery). 

With the standard FHD and Intel Iris integrated graphics it says the 16" 2-in-1 gets

"Up to 18 hours, 56 minutes"

MobileMark 2018 battery benchmark: Inspiron 16 2-in-1 tested with 13th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-1360P Processor, 16GB, 512GB SSD, FHD+ Touch 300nits Display, Intel® Iris Xe Graphics, 6-cell 84 Whr. Based on testing using the Mobile Mark 2018 battery life benchmark

So we'll see how the oled + geforce does. During a power outage I'll be concerned with simply being able to browse the web for as long as possible, so hopefully it won't hurt me too badly. I couldn't resist the upgraded graphics card and screen for the same price!

• Thumb Up 1

• 3 months later...

Keep in mind my zenbook supposedly gets 22 hours but they are disabling everything lowering brightness to unusable levels and doing next to nothing like looping a 720p video. I get 12 hours of low brightness web browsing so the Dell will likely see 10 hours under ideal conditions 50 percent brightness and constant wifi loading of video.music.pages.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled