NotebookTalk

Factory reset w/o an internet connection?

Can't seem to find a way to do a factory reset on a 7450 using a USB recovery stick I created using the DELL OS Recovery Tool w/o an internet connection.  There is an option for a simple reset but it is always greyed out, am assuming that that is because I do not have the recovery partition on the drive any longer.  Is there a fully offline USB stick method to reset these?  Seems weird to even have to ask this, wtf DELL?

12 minutes ago, ccvortex said:

Can't seem to find a way to do a factory reset on a 7450 using a USB recovery stick I created using the DELL OS Recovery Tool w/o an internet connection.  There is an option for a simple reset but it is always greyed out, am assuming that that is because I do not have the recovery partition on the drive any longer.  Is there a fully offline USB stick method to reset these?  Seems weird to even have to ask this, wtf DELL?

I have actually never tried using Dell's reset tool...  I just do the Windows install directly.

• Use the tool here to make a bootable USB Windows installer.  (If you want Windows 10, it looks like they have taken the wizard tool away but you can download an ISO image and then flash it onto a USB drive with Rufus.)
  • Also drop onto the USB drive any drivers you might immediately need after the install to get online (i.e. Wi-Fi).
  • Boot the installer, delete existing partitions on the disk and install Windows.
  • Get online and run Windows Update once, it should pull in the remaining drivers.
  • Install any Dell tools that you might want (i.e. Dell Optimizer).

Alternatively, if your Windows install is working you can kick off a "reset" right from there which will erase all data and set up a fresh Windows install.  I think it is in Settings -> Windows Update -> Advanced options -> Recovery.

• Thumb Up 1

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

I recently bought a 7780 and the first thing I did was image the original disk before doing a clean windows 11 install. I ended up going back to the original image because I couldn't get the clean installation properly configured 100%. Everything seemed ok, all devices had the proper drivers installed that I got from the dell website using my service tag, but I just couldn't get this one application in a VirtualBox VM to work, the app only runs on Windows 7 with a USB dongle for security and it just wouldn't work until I restored the original Dell Windows 11 image. It was the weirdest thing, I've been running the VM and application for years using various PCs and the only time it wouldn't run was with a clean windows install on my Precision 7780. So you might want to install the Dell specific windows version to avoid any problems down the line.