NotebookTalk

Anybody notice general slowdown since last month's Windows updates?

br2

@#@#... Msft changed the guid on power plans.

I changed it to balanced and high performance disappeared.

below brot it back. it's much better now...

powercfg -restoredefaultschemes
powercfg /aliases
powercfg /s SCHEME_Min
powercfg /l

• Thumb Up 1

Geezus... it apparently has to be done every reboot now.

i guess y'all have given up on notebooks entirely. looks like i'll be following you down that path.

my oldest machine, consigned to host ftp, now requires a daily scheduled reboot.

feels like we're back in the days of 16 bit windows.

Daily doesn't do it. Just had a machine hang 7 hours after it booted, it had been fine an hour before. The mobile cpu machine slows down after 3 or 4 hours.

Anecdotally, I've noticed slowness booting up, waiting 30s or so for the cursor to stop spinning/loading windows services.  I also had to nuke the bing chat installer.

Precision 7520 / Xeon E3-1535m v6 / 32 gb Kingston Fury DDR4 2666 CL15 / GTX 1650 Mobile

Not really seeing anybody else affected by the February updates. I did a reset yesterday on the mobile cpu machine. It still slowed down an hour or so after booting. Maybe i never really checked sustained performance in the first place? Not sure if i gaslighted myself at this point... Not buying any more notebooks.

That just gets me back to pre-reset... it gives me a few minutes after reboot to use the cpu. after that, which may be 15 minutes or 90, it throttles immediately.

havent noticed any slow down, have you tried reinstalling windows?

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

So when i got the Titan, it was 20% faster than the Clevo X170KM-G with i9-11900K.

Now it's 20% slower.

It's a very expensive salesman's powerpoint laptop...

Webroot. Geez...

it was the first thing i checked but something made me think that wasn't it.

uninstalled and performance is back to normal.

unzip is still weird but within normal range.

sheesh.

• 2 weeks later...

The unzip weirdness mystery is solved. Something about using displayport to hdmi converter to connect to an old tv was the culprit. probably caused Webroot's issues.

• Thumb Up 1

Well, no, nothing i did solved it. At some point between 5 minutes and 18 hours after reboot, unzip performance degrades 500%. But only on the mobile cpu, desktop cpus keep the same performance level.

On the plus side, I've cleaned out a bunch of old stuff i never use, trimmed startup services, and excluded work folders from indexing and a/v.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6 hours ago, br2 said:

Well, no, nothing i did solved it. At some point between 5 minutes and 18 hours after reboot, unzip performance degrades 500%. But only on the mobile cpu, desktop cpus keep the same performance level.

On the plus side, I've cleaned out a bunch of old stuff i never use, trimmed startup services, and excluded work folders from indexing and a/v.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Checked if you have got an new microcode from Windows update? 

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

2 hours ago, Papusan said:

Checked if you have got an new microcode from Windows update? 

Can't find anything telling me it should be something other than what it is... 

On 3/25/2024 at 4:10 PM, br2 said:

Msi updated firmware which set bios back to default balanced instead of high performance. 🫰

12 hours ago, br2 said:

Can't find anything telling me it should be something other than what it is... 

Did the firmware upgrade come before or after your problems?

And have you tried a different Windows OS ? I mean an older one with older infuced microcode. If you have an spare ssd maybe worth test a couple of older Windows 10 and 11 versions and see how it goes. And don't upgrade them. Just install needed drivers/software in offline mode. Don't let Windows upgrade before you have done the testing.

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

57 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Did the firmware upgrade come before or after your problems?

After. I'm done with it. I'm not looking for a hobby... thanks for the suggestions.

It's still faster overall than the x170, just not as much so.

It's just unzipping huge files where it throttles.

• Like 1