But It does look scifi cool:classic_cool:

I'd like to see it in outdoors in full sun :classic_tongue:

https://www.wired.com/story/lenovo-project-crystal-transparent-laptop-mwc-2024/

• Thumb Up 2

Thunderchild // Lenovo Legion Y740 17" i7-9750H rtx2080maxQ win10 

RainBird // Alienware 17 (Ranger) i7-4910mq gtx860m win10LTSC

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That is sci-fi cool.  But I'm not sure if it's what I'd call practical.  I can think of at least one use case - it's winter, I'm at a coffee shop, getting ready to leave, and thinking, "did I leave my gloves behind my laptop's screen, or in my coat pocket?"  Currently, I have to reach behind my laptop and see if my gloves are there, and if not, find them in the coat pocket/where they fell on the floor/etc.  With this laptop?  Problem solved!  I could see them right through the screen!

The article does mention it can reach 1000 nits, not sure that has anything to do with it being transparent though.  I could see such bright screens being useful out in the sun.

For some nice historical context, GSM Arena did a writeup on mobile phones with transparent screens, of which there have been a few, including some that reached the market.  A couple of relevant quotes:

Making a transparent display is not that difficult – in fact, LCDs are naturally transparent, just remove the backlight and you can see right through it. OLED is transparent too, that is how under display fingerprint readers and cameras work. The capacitive touch layer is transparent as well.

That doesn’t mean that there are no challenges – the motherboard and battery certainly aren’t transparent. That is why LG and Sony Ericsson limited the transparent window to a section of the phone, moving the opaque components out of the way.

There’s also the other issue – a transparent display is hard to read, unless you put a plain background behind it, but that defeats the purpose.

I'll be curious to see one in person if they make it to my local Micro Center - but at this point it's not at the top of my Christmas wish list.

• Thumb Up 1

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)