NotebookTalk

Can I safely charge my Dell notebooks using a high powered wall wart and this cable?

kojack

This is the cable I am looking at.  It's a USB C to DC barrel connection for Dell notebooks. I am looking at pairing it with a high power multiport charger for all of our devices while we are on the road. 

USB C to 5.5mm Adapter Cable Braided 19V 20V 100W Power Bank Battery Pack Charging Supply Type C Male to DC 5.5 x2.1mm Barrel Converter Cord Universal for Router Dell HP Acer Toshiba Laptop PD Charger : Amazon.ca: Electronics

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

Anyone?  I figure it's just a cord. Get a 100w or more charger and the system will self regulate to 65w to charge.  That way I can take one charger block, charge and use my notebook as I do now but also charge my phone, tablet etc off the same one block. Correct me if I am wrong on that please. 

You'll kind of have to try and see.

For Dell laptops, the power cable is a bit more than "just a cord", it uses the innermost pin for digital communication with the power adapter and figure out what power levels it supports.  You'll get a warning from the BIOS at startup or from a Dell tool at the desktop (if you have it installed) if an unknown or underpowered power adapter is connected, and it will probably throttle CPU speeds in that case.

If the system supports USB-C PD then you can skip the barrel adapter and plug it straight into the charger block via USB-C.  ...In any case, you might be able to charge it fine if the system is off / sleeping and only have issues if you try to use it with that brick when the system is powered on.

• Thumb Up 1

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

4 hours ago, Aaron44126 said:

You'll kind of have to try and see.

For Dell laptops, the power cable is a bit more than "just a cord", it uses the innermost pin for digital communication with the power adapter and figure out what power levels it supports.  You'll get a warning from the BIOS at startup or from a Dell tool at the desktop (if you have it installed) if an unknown or underpowered power adapter is connected, and it will probably throttle CPU speeds in that case.

If the system supports USB-C PD then you can skip the barrel adapter and plug it straight into the charger block via USB-C.  ...In any case, you might be able to charge it fine if the system is off / sleeping and only have issues if you try to use it with that brick when the system is powered on.

Ok, I am trying to keep my USB - C port free for data and things like that.  I will buy it with a 65w charging block and give it a shot. My charging block I am using now its 45w. The cord is getting a bit mangled on the block side of the charger so I want to upgrade.  I am just wondering if the system will throttle the charge to the correct rate.  

Either way, It will be great to have a compact charging solution for my notebook.