NotebookTalk

Throttlestop Configuration

Eban

Ok NOT specifically laptop software.

But Im looking for advice on my throttlestop configuration. I think the basic setup is ok. The different guides Ive seen around can be a little out dated.

Can you see something Im missing? Something to try for a little better performance? Suggestions? Thank you for your input:classic_biggrin:

Attached screen shots and logfile while playing Crysis remastered with everything set to 'can it run crysis'

Spoiler

legionY740.png

2022-02-20.txt

Thunderchild // Lenovo Legion Y740 17" i7-9750H rtx2080maxQ win10 

RainBird // Alienware 17 (Ranger) i7-4910mq gtx860m win10LTSC

Unclewebb recommends (as far as I can remember) running Cinebench R20 to get an idea of how well your CPU is running with your config. I can see that your laptop is struggling with a PL1, on the other hand EDP other is not that relevant. I don't know how much restrictive is Lenovo, but at least HP lets me push this laptop a lot, in terms of limits imposed by the manufacturer through the software that controls your laptop performance, in my case Omen Gaming Hub in 'performance mode'

This is my score:

2029691145_Screenshot2022-02-20223632.jpg.0b93fb7d67bba247cc95eb712b2356ec.jpg

and these are my Throttlestop settings:

Options:

486656765_Screenshot2022-02-20225212.jpg.bf8b58819a48fd574fc84e8c7cc64081.jpg

1711153441_Screenshot2022-02-20225303.jpg.d9fe851b7b8bce6df13ac5e0b15c61c7.jpg

FIVR:

• Disable and lock turbo power limits: check
  • Cache ratio: min 8 max 42
  • Miscellaneous: all unchecked
  • Non turbo ratio: 25
  • Turbo ratio limits: 45,44,43,42,41,40

CPU Core:

• Offset Voltage: -0.250 mV
  • IccMax: 255.75A

CPU Cache:

• Offset Voltage: -0.125mV
  • IccMax: 255.75A

TPL window:

314097446_Screenshot2022-02-20225411.jpg.42a9481d6ef6f0642dab87fc0841d92c.jpg

@duskw4lker

Ok, thank you for your reply :classic_smile:

I think my undervolt was close to max, any more and things would get a little tweaky. (although its been a while and that could have been my other pc:classic_wacko:)

Anyway I will start trying your settings one by one, see what score I can get in cinebench. 

:thumbs-up-100:

• Thumb Up 1

6 hours ago, Eban said:

@duskw4lker

Ok, thank you for your reply :classic_smile:

I think my undervolt was close to max, any more and things would get a little tweaky. (although its been a while and that could have been my other pc:classic_wacko:)

Anyway I will start trying your settings one by one, see what score I can get in cinebench. 

:thumbs-up-100:

you're welcome, also I must mention that I use Throttlestop 9.3, If I recall correctly, this version was the one that Unclewebb initially released to address the tweaking of Intel 11th gen. that's why some options that you have with 9.4.2 are not available to me, because Unclewebb kept implementing more options, but the point is, that some checkboxes that you might have available in FIVR miscellaneous options for example (V-Max, Ring down, TVB), won't affect the performance in our 9th gen CPUs. In my opinion, the stable version 9.2 was the most useful for us because that was the one released during the 9th gen (albeit with less options available than current releases for newer CPUs) . I only moved to 9.3 out of curiosity, but I still would be using 9.2 stable or the beta versions of that one (9.2.X)

BTW your PROCHOT offset I would reduce it to 97 or 98 by setting 2 or 3 offset, I noticed with my laptop that if I pushed it according to Intel, to the Tjunction of 100°C instead of the 97°C by default according to HP, it will start to power throttle like crazy at PL1, so I personally would not recommend setting a PROCHOT of 100°C (0 offset) even though it is by design.

• Thumb Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 2/22/2022 at 12:57 AM, duskw4lker said:

you're welcome, also I must mention that I use Throttlestop 9.3, If I recall correctly, this version was the one that Unclewebb initially released to address the tweaking of Intel 11th gen. that's why some options that you have with 9.4.2 are not available to me, because Unclewebb kept implementing more options, but the point is, that some checkboxes that you might have available in FIVR miscellaneous options for example (V-Max, Ring down, TVB), won't affect the performance in our 9th gen CPUs. In my opinion, the stable version 9.2 was the most useful for us because that was the one released during the 9th gen (albeit with less options available than current releases for newer CPUs) . I only moved to 9.3 out of curiosity, but I still would be using 9.2 stable or the beta versions of that one (9.2.X)

BTW your PROCHOT offset I would reduce it to 97 or 98 by setting 2 or 3 offset, I noticed with my laptop that if I pushed it according to Intel, to the Tjunction of 100°C instead of the 97°C by default according to HP, it will start to power throttle like crazy at PL1, so I personally would not recommend setting a PROCHOT of 100°C (0 offset) even though it is by design.

Hi Lostboy, got some interesting results to share with you.

My final score...

664085887_13TPLPL2120.thumb.png.29752f55ee87b97dd3e64f2a82ab09a9.png

So I did 16 different tweaks following your settings. Shutting down PC totally (cold boot) between each test (I read somewhere ages ago Unclewebb said not to restart but fully shut down)

I used Easy service Optimizer and closed all services I could, then used CCleaner and disabled everything I could from starting up (except throttlestop of course) I think malwarebytes wouldnt allow itself to be disabled. After opening CineBench20 I opened taskmanager and set the priority to realtime then closed taskman.

1st was a baseline for the settings I had already set. Next I downgraded to TS 9.2. My baseline score was 3130 and after using 9.2 I got 3107. Now a few points I wouldnt read into it but 23points was enough to reinstall 9.4.2 (I thought that was very interesting).

My last couple tests were pretty similar CB score but I did manage to get a slightly lower stable undervolt. I didnt change the PROCHOT offset as I didnt get even close to cooking.

So thanks again for your input, made me think of new things to try :classic_biggrin:

Spoiler

1677127387_15finalundervoltnoerrorsTSbench.thumb.png.c1435effb5b800b61469c17a456387ed.png

• Like 1

Bravo!! those scores are great!!!!

now, to keep windows from messing permanently with the changes that TS does (the reason why Unclewebb recommends a clean startup with the holding down shift while clicking shutdown) after each startup: I had to do this (disable fast boot) because the software that controls my laptop (Omen Gaming Hub 🤢🤮) tends to override the changes that I made in TS, also the registers modified by TS tend to get 'dizzy' after testing way to many changes in voltage offsets. That's the reason why a cold boot is recommended, by disabling fast boot you will get a 'clean' boot each session.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/how_to_turn_fast_startup_on_or_off_in_windows_10.html

• 1 month later...

Unclewebb have released a new TS  Beta version.

tpu-v1649085482.png

TechPowerUp ThrottleStop 9.4.6 Beta Released Techpowerup.com

TechPowerUp today released latest version of ThrottleStop by Kevin Glynn. A nifty tool that gives you greater control over the power-management features of your processor, which should prove particularly useful for notebooks, letting you override several OEM power limitations to bring out the best in your hardware. Version 9.4.6 beta introduces several updates and bug fixes. The "Disable and Lock Power Limits" box is now replaced with the MMIO Lock box. The FIVR and TPL window themes have been updated. The Turbo Boost limits and Turbo groups have been combined into the FIVR window. CPU voltage is slightly increased at 800 MHz for stability when undervolting. Compatibility of SpeedStep and SpeedShift with Windows has been increased. The chance for BSODs with voltages set too low, have been reduced. Grab ThrottleStop from the link below.

DOWNLOAD: ThrottleStop by Kevin Glynn 9.4.6 beta
  • Thumb Up 3

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900K | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

• 2 months later...
  • Thumb Up 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900K | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel