NotebookTalk

Return of socketed / upgradeable CPUs and GPUs for laptops at Computex?

1610ftw

Just watched a video from Jarrod's tech and was rather stunned to see this:

Looking forward to hear more and at this point anything except external GPUs via TB5 would be a very unexpected and hopefully welcome surprise!

• Thumb Up 3
  • Bump 1

This would be most welcome news. I can see with not only AMD chips (not sure why one wasn't made for the 7000 series) but especially Intel's Ultra/AL line up returning to some voltage sanity we could see a few models. I'm equally curious to see if it would be a hybrid like the NH55 or one with interchangeable graphics as well.

• Thumb Up 1

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

MelMel:  AMD Ryzen 5 7600x | Asus B650 Prime | Powercolor Spectra White 7900XTX | Asus Ryugin III 240mm AIO | M-die 2x16GB Custom | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | EVGA P2 850w | Hyte Y40 | BenQ 32" 4k
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition

I just hope it will be something exciting:

18" or more

top tier CPU and GPU performance

top tier connectivity

top tier memory and storage options

Or to speak in Clevo terms we want a new version of the X170 and not the NH55 and we need some kind of upgrade perspective over a number of generations.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 1610ftw said:

I just hope it will be something exciting:

18" or more

top tier CPU and GPU performance

top tier connectivity

top tier memory and storage options

Or to speak in Clevo terms we want a new version of the X170 and not the NH55 and we need some kind of upgrade perspective over a number of generations.

Preaching to the choir brother! 👏🙏

• Bump 2

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

MelMel:  AMD Ryzen 5 7600x | Asus B650 Prime | Powercolor Spectra White 7900XTX | Asus Ryugin III 240mm AIO | M-die 2x16GB Custom | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | EVGA P2 850w | Hyte Y40 | BenQ 32" 4k
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition

8 hours ago, electrosoft said:

Preaching to the choir brother! 👏🙏

At least it is nice that something is being done. Even if they do not get it perfect from the start others may take notice and build their own more modular system.

I have maintained for some time that Asus and MSI as motherboard manufacturers would be in a better position to give us a classic socketed systems.

And then you have Dell, HP and Lenovo - three very big companies that can do whatever they set their sights on - it is just a matter of going...

I think Dell had some very modular concept laptop some time ago that never went anywhere until now (not the Area 51m) and in my opinion the trick is to make the higher cost of modularity palatable by offering it for higher end systems. Hard to justify modularity in a laptop that with a less modular platform could be had for 1000 bucks but when we are looking at the top price ranges it is not too bad if people have to pay a surcharge for modularity and upgradeability.

• Bump 1

What's the tl;dr of the 43-minute video?  I can guess based on the title, but is there anything substantiated?

In addition to what 1610ftw wrote, a good upgradeable laptop would also benefit from:

- Great cooling.  This also applies to the GPU, which in practice tends to have a wider range of power consumption than CPUs.

- Multi-generation CPU support.  Think AM4 on the desktop.  Intel tends to only support a socket for two generations

- Standardized interfaces between the GPU and the heatsink.  This wasn't the case with MXM and meant that unless you had metalworking skills or a high level of thermal pad modding expertise, it was often difficult to upgrade to a GPU that your laptop didn't ship with.

- Still being a good laptop in other regards.  Good screen, good keyboard, etc.

But yes, I'll be interested in what upgradeable options are out there in 2026 or 2027 when my current laptop has aged a few more years.  At this point I think Framework is still the leader, with their swappable GPU module, but it remains to be seen what upgrades are offered to that in practice, and more options, especially that include socketed CPUs, would be welcome.

• Thumb Up 1

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

Possibly a few options too!! Curious about which vendors have decided to do this.

8 hours ago, Sandy Bridge said:

What's the tl;dr of the 43-minute video?  I can guess based on the title, but is there anything substantiated?

In addition to what 1610ftw wrote, a good upgradeable laptop would also benefit from:

- Great cooling.  This also applies to the GPU, which in practice tends to have a wider range of power consumption than CPUs.

- Multi-generation CPU support.  Think AM4 on the desktop.  Intel tends to only support a socket for two generations

- Standardized interfaces between the GPU and the heatsink.  This wasn't the case with MXM and meant that unless you had metalworking skills or a high level of thermal pad modding expertise, it was often difficult to upgrade to a GPU that your laptop didn't ship with.

- Still being a good laptop in other regards.  Good screen, good keyboard, etc.

But yes, I'll be interested in what upgradeable options are out there in 2026 or 2027 when my current laptop has aged a few more years.  At this point I think Framework is still the leader, with their swappable GPU module, but it remains to be seen what upgrades are offered to that in practice, and more options, especially that include socketed CPUs, would be welcome.

He basically says that upgradable CPUs and GPUs in laptops could be making a return and stuff will be announced at Computex (next week). Just a 10 second mention after he talks about the Framework 16.

Metabox Prime-X (X170KM-G) | 17.3" 165Hz G-sync | 11900KF | 32GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 3080 16GB | 1TB 980 Pro

8 hours ago, Sandy Bridge said:

You can just start the video, it starts at the right time code and it will only take a few seconds.

I guess we will see what really is behind it within a week.

Socketed CPUs that can be supported for multiple generations would be cool but the last generations of socketed laptops had the issue that even when something new came out for the same socket there was no upgrade path. This has to change or I can just get a laptop that is top of the line for the current gen and be done. 

And yes, I know that there are other reasons to root for socketed laptops but the only time that this was really exciting was when we went from something like a 6600K to an 8700K and then to a 9900K with socketed laptops - those were the days 🙂

13 hours ago, Reciever said:

Cheaper and encourages replacing the laptop altogether instead of improving what you have.

just what i had in mind.. becuase back i didnt even knew they were soldered when one laptop stop working then i found out they were soldered. when i got my dell m4600 i found that this one is socketed. and ever since i ask my self how do i find out if the laptop is socketed or soldered. anyway to know.?

dell precision m4600

i7 2760QM

8GB ram

MX500 crucial SSD 500GB.

win 10 21H2

1 hour ago, raptorddd said:

just what i had in mind.. becuase back i didnt even knew they were soldered when one laptop stop working then i found out they were soldered. when i got my dell m4600 i found that this one is socketed. and ever since i ask my self how do i find out if the laptop is socketed or soldered. anyway to know.?

That transition occurred around the time of Haswell, hq (soldered) had replaced mq (socketed) respectively for the CPU SKU 

• Thumb Up 1

It would be great and if there a market for it and not super expensive. I really like what framework is doing with their laptops and i wish other OEM's was doing what they're doing. What i want a bit more than a swapable CPU and GPU is a swapable keyboard like back then since its the most fragile component of a laptop and currently you'll have to tear down a laptop completely to be able to replace it and the parts are hard to find...

3 hours ago, Reciever said:

That transition occurred around the time of Haswell, hq (soldered) had replaced mq (socketed) respectively for the CPU SKU 

Yea, Haswell was the last socketed CPU in laptops. I once did a motherboard replacement of my old HP ENVY Haswell laptop after the GPU failed and it pretty cheap then. Removed the CPU from the old motherboard which used a torx screw, and install on to the new motherboard, Still works now  

• Thumb Up 2

Current Laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.8Ghz (Boost: 4.2Ghz), 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 Memory, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS display, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, 1 TB Teamgroup MP34 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home 22H2

8 hours ago, raptorddd said:

Intel 13th and 14th gen and AMD Zen 4 are 100% soldered and the last really high performance socketed laptop generations were Intel 9th and 10th gen from Clevo, Dell/Alienware and MSI.

3 hours ago, KING19 said:

It would be great and if there a market for it and not super expensive. I really like what framework is doing with their laptops and i wish other OEM's was doing what they're doing. What i want a bit more than a swapable CPU and GPU is a swapable keyboard like back then since its the most fragile component of a laptop and currently you'll have to tear down a laptop completely to be able to replace it and the parts are hard to find...

Yea, Haswell was the last socketed CPU in laptops. I once did a motherboard replacement of my old HP ENVY Haswell laptop after the GPU failed and it pretty cheap then. Removed the CPU from the old motherboard which used a torx screw, and install on to the new motherboard, Still works now  

Usually HP and Dell workstations have easy to replace keyboards and most higher end Clevos, too.

Still got an old socketed 14" HP Elitebook - very nice design, not that big and most important built like a tank.

• Thumb Up 1

OK, so first announcements / reports from Computex have so far not shown more modularity or anything like it for Acer, Asus and MSI.

We have other candidates of course like:

Clevo

Dell/Alienware

Framework

HP

Lenovo

TongFang / Uniwill

and some very unlikely candidates like Gigabyte / Aorus or Razer

So it will be interesting to see what happens in the next days.

4 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

OK, so first announcements / reports from Computex have so far not shown more modularity or anything like it for Acer, Asus and MSI.

We have other candidates of course like:

Clevo

Dell/Alienware

Framework

HP

Lenovo

TongFang / Uniwill

and some very unlikely candidates like Gigabyte / Aorus or Razer

So it will be interesting to see what happens in the next days.

XMG have announced some BGA stuff too. Only a few models so hopefully more to come, but looking less likely to be Clevo or TongFang.

Metabox Prime-X (X170KM-G) | 17.3" 165Hz G-sync | 11900KF | 32GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 3080 16GB | 1TB 980 Pro

I strongly doubt that anything coming from XMG would not be from Clevo or Tongfang/Uniwill and yes it would be nice to see more serious releases from them.

I have read in several places that Eluktronics were looking to release an 18" unit which would mean that hopefully later this year or next year we will see an 18" offering from TongFang/Uniwill.

15 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

I strongly doubt that anything coming from XMG would not be from Clevo or Tongfang/Uniwill and yes it would be nice to see more serious releases from them.

I have read in several places that Eluktronics were looking to release an 18" unit which would mean that hopefully later this year or next year we will see an 18" offering from TongFang/Uniwill.

Aah yes I meant it's looking less likely this upgradable notebook will be Clevo or Tongfang. What gives me hope is that they announced only a few models so hopefully there is more to come.

If Clevo or Tongfang aren't releasing an upgradable notebook I'm not sure who else on that list it would be. Dellienware seems unlikely so you're left with Lenovo? More upgradeable models from Framework? My other guess would have been MSI but they've already announced. Would be sad if Jarrod has just misheard or been fed bad info...

I would agree that what Jarrod said may have been premature as I would expect the upgradeable CPUs to be the ones that have barely been announced or that have yet to be announced so an announcement of a new laptop that has them would have been very early in the game especially for something that has not been done for a while.

Regarding the upgradeable GPU this is even more true as they have been a thing of the past for even longer and at the show Nvidia has not said much about the upcoming 5000 series.

So far there has been an announcement from Framework but it was before the show and there is no upgradeable GPU plus Framework is the only manufacturer that has done that before and has already been mentioned in Jarrod's video so it makes more sense that he expected something from another manufacturer:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Framework-Laptop-13-gets-Intel-Core-Ultra-7-165H-and-120-Hz-3-2-display-also-available-as-upgrade-kits.842591.0.html

In any case we can always check back with him when the show is over.

It is unfortunate to write this, but I think that we won't see fully modular laptops in the near future, any production is primarily earnings and then everything else, it is simply not profitable for them and in addition everything began to go down the way of cheaper and more mobility in this product segment.

I really want a miracle to happen and Clevo or someone else to hear these wishes, but there is less hope for this every day.

I think he was referring to framework laptops. I would be surprised if any other manufacturer returns to LGA or PGA/MXM.

Alienware m18             : Intel Core i9 13900HX                  | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090    | K1675 | 2x1TB SSDs 

Alienware Area-51M : Intel Core i9-9900K @ 5.3Ghz    | nVidia GeForce RTX 2080    | AX210 | Samsung 970 Evo+ 
Alienware M18x R2 :    Intel Core i7 3920XM @ 4.7Ghz | nVidia Quadro RTX 3000     | AX210 | Samsung 980 PRO   
Clevo X170SM-G:         Intel Core i7 10700K @ Stock     | nVidia GeForce RTX 2070S | AX210 | 256GB+2x512GB 

More Laps: M14x (555m) | M14xR2 (650m) | M15x (980m) | M17xR3 (880m) | M18xR1 (880m SLI) | 18 R1 (RTX 3000)

DT: Aurora R4 (i9 10980XE/RTX 4070) | Area-51 R2 (22-Core Xeon/2x Titan V) | SR-2 [2x6-Core/3x980Ti] | Mac Studio

CS Studios YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/CSStudiosYT 

Would not really make sense to mention the comeback part if it only means Framework just after he already mentioned them.

If it is supposed to be a comeback it would need other manufacturers / designs. Maybe all of that was postponed as a lot of stuff did not seem to be quite ready yet and there were neither more upgradeable nor non-upgradeable workstations / DTRs / gaming flagships announced from any manufacturer.

• 2 weeks later...

Upgradeable laptops is dead. This is the future... Peoplehave voted with their wallets. So more of the same mess we have seen the last 10 years. And Qualcomm themself say they will take over 50% of the market, so that's that. From worse to even more worse. Not so sure our old friend bro @Mr. Fox is willing to go back to laptops😁 And me.... No in hell.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Sad 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

30 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Upgradeable laptops is dead. This is the future... Peoplehave voted with their wallets. So more of the same mess we have seen the last 10 years. And Qualcomm themself say they will take over 50% of the market, so that's that. From worse to even more worse. Not so sure our old friend bro @Mr. Fox is willing to go back to laptops😁 And me.... No in hell.

Nope. Not me.

As a dog returns to his own vomit, So a fool repeats his folly. (Proverbs 26:11)

I don't care for the taste of puke. Never have. I've never tasted dung before but I would imagine that's the rough equivalent of the disgusting notion buying a Snapdragon powered turdbook. 

• Thumb Up 1
  • Haha 2

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900KF | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8200 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.