Jump to content
NotebookTalk

EVGA SR-2 - 4 GPUs, 2 CPUs, Corsair 900D


ssj92
 Share

Recommended Posts

I don't see a "custom builds" section so I guess I'll just post this here. 

 

Sorry I don't have many pics on this one. They're old and I've changed a few things around. Specs:
 
Corsair 900D Case
EVGA SR-2 Motherboard
2x Intel Xeon X5675 CPUs
48GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM
2 x 120GB SSD RAID0
2x Titan V
1x Titan Xp
1x RTX 3090 KINGPIN
EVGA 1600w G+ PSU
Windows 11

 

The SR-2 was released in 2010: https://www.evga.com/articles/00537/ 
 
I was in high school at the time and dreamed of owning this motherboard. Truly one of EVGA's best design. 
 
I bought it last year actually. I looked everywhere for one and found someone on reddit local who was selling it since 2020. It was posted 9 months ago from my PM to the seller. Turns out he still had it and we made a deal on the SR-2, RAM, CPUs, Heatsinks and 900D case. 
 
GPUs are a bit overkill but for a system like this I couldn't resist. I use it remotely and wanted to find a way to allocate each GPU to a different VM and be able to game anywhere in the house using multiple computers. Unfortunately I don't game much so it was all more for fun lol. And to be honest all my laptops besides my mac has a gaming gpu lol. 
 
585533_IMG_2338_2F.jpg
 
585535_IMG_2341F.jpg
 
U5nBp9G.jpg
lgP5WK1.jpg
kQkOD9G.jpg
FZETV9L.jpg

  • Thumb Up 5
  • Like 3

Alienware Area-51M : Intel Core i9-9900K @ 5.3Ghz    | nVidia GeForce RTX 2080    | AX210 | Samsung 970 Evo+ 
Alienware X14 R1 :       Intel Core i7 12700H 12th-Gen   | nVidia GeForce RTX 3060    | AX411 | SK Hynix 2TB PCIe4 
Alienware M18x R2 :    Intel Core i7 3920XM @ 4.7Ghz | nVidia Quadro RTX 3000     | AX210 | Samsung 980 PRO   
Alienware 18 R1 :          Intel Core i7 4930MX @ 4.0Ghz | nVidia Quadro RTX 3000     | AX210 | SK Hynix 1TB NVMe 
Clevo X170SM-G:         Intel Core i7 10700K @ Stock     | nVidia GeForce RTX 2070S | AX210 | 256GB+2x512GB 


CS Studios YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/CSStudiosYT 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

That's cool. The only thing I could think of doing is mining ETH until it hits proof of stake, or sell the GPUs before the bottom falls out on the used GPU market.

  • Thumb Up 1

[Draupnir] R5 5600X | EVGA 3080 | Asus B550-I Strix | 2 x 16GB 3600@CL16 | 2 x WD SN750 | NZXT H1 V2 w/ Fan Mods

[Gungnir]  LG Gram 17 | i7-8565U | 16GB | 2 x 512GB SSD

[Munnin]  MacBook Pro 16 | i9-9980HK | Radeon Pro 5300M | 64GB RAM | 1TB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...
On 2/23/2022 at 9:20 AM, ssj92 said:

I don't see a "custom builds" section so I guess I'll just post this here. 

 

Sorry I don't have many pics on this one. They're old and I've changed a few things around. Specs:
 
Corsair 900D Case
EVGA SR-2 Motherboard
2x Intel Xeon X5675 CPUs
48GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM
2 x 120GB SSD RAID0
2x Titan V
1x Titan Xp
1x RTX 3090 KINGPIN
EVGA 1600w G+ PSU
Windows 11

 

The SR-2 was released in 2010: https://www.evga.com/articles/00537/ 
 
I was in high school at the time and dreamed of owning this motherboard. Truly one of EVGA's best design. 
 
I bought it last year actually. I looked everywhere for one and found someone on reddit local who was selling it since 2020. It was posted 9 months ago from my PM to the seller. Turns out he still had it and we made a deal on the SR-2, RAM, CPUs, Heatsinks and 900D case. 
 
GPUs are a bit overkill but for a system like this I couldn't resist. I use it remotely and wanted to find a way to allocate each GPU to a different VM and be able to game anywhere in the house using multiple computers. Unfortunately I don't game much so it was all more for fun lol. And to be honest all my laptops besides my mac has a gaming gpu lol. 
 
585533_IMG_2338_2F.jpg
 
585535_IMG_2341F.jpg
 
U5nBp9G.jpg
lgP5WK1.jpg
kQkOD9G.jpg
FZETV9L.jpg

 

duuuude, i only just saw this thread thx to brother @ryan posting, sick machine! especially those Vs in SLI, holy guacamole! u still holding on to all those gpus?

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6600 2x16 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 2x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" UHD 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB

 

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel 12600 @ 4.4 - 4.8 Ghz / Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB GDDR6 / G.Skill 16 GB DDR4-3800 / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Intel AX201 ax+BT / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/30/2022 at 1:34 PM, ryan said:

@jaybee83this guy is the king of NBR a living legend and god. honestly hes a boss in our gang...yes its pretty cool what he does

 

but boss @ssj92 get a fricken new phone those pictures look blurry

Phone lens was probably dirty or I probably took them with snapchat and saved (horrible mistake). I can take new pics since it's a little bit different now hehe 

 

  

On 9/30/2022 at 2:09 AM, jaybee83 said:

 

duuuude, i only just saw this thread thx to brother @ryan posting, sick machine! especially those Vs in SLI, holy guacamole! u still holding on to all those gpus?

I sold the 3090 Kingpin and bought 3090Ti for my Alienware Aurora R4. Sold Titan Xp to my friend. Now it has 2x Titan V in SLI but don't plan to sell those. My favorite gpu of all time. I was debating on replacing the SR-2 motherboard and 2x X5675 CPUs with a SR-3 motherboard and W-3175X but with Sapphire Rapids coming next year probably best to wait. 

  

On 9/29/2022 at 5:19 PM, ryan said:

@ssj92I noticed your using stock windows 11 from the pictures!! for the love of gawd get startisback...brother its not right...kinda like nuking bacon

I do have startallback. I kept the icons in the middle. I've used startisback since it came out and always install it on every pc that runs Windows 8 and newer. Windows 11 is horrible without startallback due to having to click "show more options" on the right click menu 

  • Thumb Up 2

Alienware Area-51M : Intel Core i9-9900K @ 5.3Ghz    | nVidia GeForce RTX 2080    | AX210 | Samsung 970 Evo+ 
Alienware X14 R1 :       Intel Core i7 12700H 12th-Gen   | nVidia GeForce RTX 3060    | AX411 | SK Hynix 2TB PCIe4 
Alienware M18x R2 :    Intel Core i7 3920XM @ 4.7Ghz | nVidia Quadro RTX 3000     | AX210 | Samsung 980 PRO   
Alienware 18 R1 :          Intel Core i7 4930MX @ 4.0Ghz | nVidia Quadro RTX 3000     | AX210 | SK Hynix 1TB NVMe 
Clevo X170SM-G:         Intel Core i7 10700K @ Stock     | nVidia GeForce RTX 2070S | AX210 | 256GB+2x512GB 


CS Studios YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/CSStudiosYT 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, ssj92 said:

I sold the 3090 Kingpin and bought 3090Ti for my Alienware Aurora R4. Sold Titan Xp to my friend. Now it has 2x Titan V in SLI but don't plan to sell those. My favorite gpu of all time. I was debating on replacing the SR-2 motherboard and 2x X5675 CPUs with a SR-3 motherboard and W-3175X but with Sapphire Rapids coming next year probably best to wait. 

 

and people here think IM doing a crazy-ass balls to the all, money no object build? id consider my upcoming setup in the "budget" class compared to this 😂

  • Haha 1

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6600 2x16 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 2x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" UHD 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB

 

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel 12600 @ 4.4 - 4.8 Ghz / Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB GDDR6 / G.Skill 16 GB DDR4-3800 / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Intel AX201 ax+BT / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh I guess one new thing I did (since I removed two GPUs) was get a PCIe to NVMe adapter. Then I got NVMe booting on the old SR-2 platform thanks to some software. 

 

Running a SM951 512GB as boot drive 

  • Bump 1

Alienware Area-51M : Intel Core i9-9900K @ 5.3Ghz    | nVidia GeForce RTX 2080    | AX210 | Samsung 970 Evo+ 
Alienware X14 R1 :       Intel Core i7 12700H 12th-Gen   | nVidia GeForce RTX 3060    | AX411 | SK Hynix 2TB PCIe4 
Alienware M18x R2 :    Intel Core i7 3920XM @ 4.7Ghz | nVidia Quadro RTX 3000     | AX210 | Samsung 980 PRO   
Alienware 18 R1 :          Intel Core i7 4930MX @ 4.0Ghz | nVidia Quadro RTX 3000     | AX210 | SK Hynix 1TB NVMe 
Clevo X170SM-G:         Intel Core i7 10700K @ Stock     | nVidia GeForce RTX 2070S | AX210 | 256GB+2x512GB 


CS Studios YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/CSStudiosYT 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello @ssj92!

 

Wow! Awesome machine. Quick question: did this not suffer severe thermal issues due to multiple GPUs sitting next to each other with no extra clearance in between?

 

BTW I wonder if 2x4090FE within 6 total slot space would work for 24/7 operation, especially if the cards were not expected to reach max TGP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Etern4l said:

Hello @ssj92!

 

Wow! Awesome machine. Quick question: did this not suffer severe thermal issues due to multiple GPUs sitting next to each other with no extra clearance in between?

 

BTW I wonder if 2x4090FE within 6 total slot space would work for 24/7 operation, especially if the cards were not expected to reach max TGP.

what would u be using the second card for? especially since the 4090 did away with the SLI / NVLink connectors...

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6600 2x16 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 2x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" UHD 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB

 

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel 12600 @ 4.4 - 4.8 Ghz / Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB GDDR6 / G.Skill 16 GB DDR4-3800 / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Intel AX201 ax+BT / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jaybee83 said:

what would u be using the second card for? especially since the 4090 did away with the SLI / NVLink connectors...

 

You can use more than one GPU without NVLink if the software takes advantage of the extra GPU. I guess not the case with games apart from perhaps using a secondary GPU as a dedicated PhysX processor.

Interesting to note that SLI/NVlink connector for 3090 was enforcing a 1 slot clearance between the two cards...

  • Thumb Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Etern4l said:

 

You can use more than one GPU without NVLink if the software takes advantage of the extra GPU. I guess not the case with games apart from perhaps using a secondary GPU as a dedicated PhysX processor.

Interesting to note that SLI/NVlink connector for 3090 was enforcing a 1 slot clearance between the two cards...

You can buy the A6000 nvlink bridge which allows having no space between the cards. I though of doing that at one point but it's good to have some space between them for best thermals. 

 

  

5 hours ago, Etern4l said:

Hello @ssj92!

 

Wow! Awesome machine. Quick question: did this not suffer severe thermal issues due to multiple GPUs sitting next to each other with no extra clearance in between?

 

BTW I wonder if 2x4090FE within 6 total slot space would work for 24/7 operation, especially if the cards were not expected to reach max TGP.

It got very hot! The 3090 card was fine since it was a hybrid cooler but the other three got very hot. I have since sold the 3090 and Titan Xp. 

 

I did have two Titan V (two slot space between them) in the SR-2 build until yesterday and they ran great. Temps were good. 

 

I just sold my 3090Ti so now this build has one Titan V. My main desktop has the other one until I get something else (or not since A4500 MXM drained my wallet lol)

  • Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

Alienware Area-51M : Intel Core i9-9900K @ 5.3Ghz    | nVidia GeForce RTX 2080    | AX210 | Samsung 970 Evo+ 
Alienware X14 R1 :       Intel Core i7 12700H 12th-Gen   | nVidia GeForce RTX 3060    | AX411 | SK Hynix 2TB PCIe4 
Alienware M18x R2 :    Intel Core i7 3920XM @ 4.7Ghz | nVidia Quadro RTX 3000     | AX210 | Samsung 980 PRO   
Alienware 18 R1 :          Intel Core i7 4930MX @ 4.0Ghz | nVidia Quadro RTX 3000     | AX210 | SK Hynix 1TB NVMe 
Clevo X170SM-G:         Intel Core i7 10700K @ Stock     | nVidia GeForce RTX 2070S | AX210 | 256GB+2x512GB 


CS Studios YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/CSStudiosYT 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ssj92 said:

It got very hot!

 

Broken dreams, thanks @ssj92 🙂 Yeah, well I was hoping for a miracle I guess. OK, it is what it is. I will just get one FE card for now, and should this no longer suffice will get another one and they will have to run hot.  I don't think there is an eGPU enclosure that would take a 4090FE (but maybe I'm wrong?).

 

5 hours ago, ssj92 said:

You can buy the A6000

 

 

Well, there is the 2-slot A6000 itself, but $5k for 10k CUDA cores? Eek, thanks Jensen. Seems like it's only ever worth it if 48GB in a single GPU is required.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ssj92 said:

You can buy the A6000 nvlink bridge which allows having no space between the cards. I though of doing that at one point but it's good to have some space between them for best thermals. 

 

  

It got very hot! The 3090 card was fine since it was a hybrid cooler but the other three got very hot. I have since sold the 3090 and Titan Xp. 

 

I did have two Titan V (two slot space between them) in the SR-2 build until yesterday and they ran great. Temps were good. 

 

I just sold my 3090Ti so now this build has one Titan V. My main desktop has the other one until I get something else (or not since A4500 MXM drained my wallet lol)

 

did u get ur hands on that A4500 yet? where are u gonna put it?

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6600 2x16 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 2x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" UHD 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB

 

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel 12600 @ 4.4 - 4.8 Ghz / Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB GDDR6 / G.Skill 16 GB DDR4-3800 / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Intel AX201 ax+BT / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use