NotebookTalk

4000 series set to be 150 percent faster than previous 3090

ryan

28 minutes ago, ryan said:

oic ok.....but I guess this has vered off topic but do you think its worth it? like when the 5k series comes out will I see a bump in gaming at 4k or am I better just building a desktop? kinda like what you did

All depends on circumstances, pricing and timing at the time of serious consideration of a purchase.

Basically, difficult to say right now what conditions there will be in the future that need to be considered before pulling the trigger.

• Thumb Up 2

10 hours ago, ryan said:

oic ok.....but I guess this has vered off topic but do you think its worth it? like when the 5k series comes out will I see a bump in gaming at 4k or am I better just building a desktop? kinda like what you did

That's less about performance differences and more about what kind of setup suits your situation and what the goals of your setup are. Too many questions that are up to your personal preference for your setup to recommend anything. We know next to nothing about the next generation GPUs as it is aside from rumor, we definitely know nothing about the 50 series nvidia cards. The only thing that can be said is that eGPU will always come with some performance tax due to bandwidth and latency of TB. But it depends on your setup needs if that's acceptable.

Typically you'd want an eGPU if your laptop is somewhat portable and you only want it and not a second computer and you want to "supercharge" it when it's at your desk. If you can get a desktop with no issues, probably a better choice. If you just want a laptop and don't want to really take it anywhere very often and don't mind if it's heavy, get one with a beefy GPU built in. eGPU is really for certain use cases. I ditched mine when I had room for a small form factor PC and a monitor since I transitioned to working from home and we kind of rearranged our living situation to suit that. Previous to that I just hooked up the eGPU and didn't need a desk really.

• Like 1

[Draupnir] 5600X | EVGA 3080 | Asus B550-I Strix | 32GB 3600@CL16 2C/2R | 2 x WD SN750 | NZXT H1 V2 | Custom back panel with 2x140mm | Win 11 Pro

[Sleipnir] MacBook Pro 16 | M1 Max | 32GB | 1TB

[Munnin] LG Gram 17 | i7-8565U | 16GB | 2 x 512GB SSD | Fedora 38

• 8 months later...