NotebookTalk

chess, my passion however my downfall

ryan

although im no Bobby fischer I enjoy chess and just play casually and don't think ahead many moves, when I was a kid I read a chess book and beat my father at the age of 10. anyone else here play chess?

best free chess game

https://lucaschess.pythonanywhere.com/

a great paid chess game on steam is chess ultra

• Thumb Up 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Funny I just heard an interesting podcast from a psychiatrist's point of view on chess.  It appears there are therapeutic benefits to chess.  The latter part also talks about the incidence of psychosis in high level chess players - spoiler alert, it seems some of the characteristics of certain schizophrenic patients lends itself to being very good at predicting an opponent's moves.

https://www.thecarlatreport.com/blog/cognitive-enhancers-the-brain-on-chess/

• Thanks 1

Desktop | Intel i9-12900k | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F | 2x16GB Oloy DDR5 @ 6400mhz CL32 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | AW3821DW| 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 | All under water |

Server | SM846 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7F52 | Supermicro H12SSL-I | Tesla P40 24GB | 256GB 3200MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Backup Server | SM826 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7302 | Supermicro H11SSL-I | Tesla P4 8GB | 256GB 2133MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Dell XPS 9510 | Intel  i7-11800H | RTX 3050 Ti | 16GB 3200mhz | 1TB SX8200 | 1080P |

On 3/7/2022 at 9:06 AM, ryan said:

although im no Bobby fischer I enjoy chess and just play casually and don't think ahead many moves, when I was a kid I read a chess book and beat my father at the age of 10. anyone else here play chess?

best free chess game

https://lucaschess.pythonanywhere.com/

a great paid chess game on steam is chess ultra

Thank you @ryan that was great to watch. There are many sayings about genius and madness/insanity, they seem to go hand in hand, and that makes a really interesting  but frightening characteristic of the human mind.

• Like 1

your welcome and yes its an amazing video, really interesting and very impressive just how intelligent he was

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

I like to compare IQ to levels of understanding and thought how deep it can go

iq 80-85-no god

iq 85-90-god

90-105-no god

105-120-god

120-140-no god

140-150-god

150-160-no god (einstein range)

160-180- rabid belief in god

180-220- insanely obsessed with god aka chris langan worlds smartest man

belief in god is pre determined and alot like chess. I think there is a pattern, I was semi serious but notice when the person is in the 1-billion range 9 times out of ten they are religious...makes me wonder why im atheist. perhaps i'm not smart enough to see god.

watch the video and you'll see what I mean, spoiler- he was in a cult

and heres a good article, I always thought the smarter you were the less you believed in god..thats semi true but when you reach a certain level of intelligence it comes back and hard

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-faith/are-atheists-smarter-than-believers-not-exactly/2013/08/16/34393a2c-069b-11e3-bfc5-406b928603b2_story.html

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

3 hours ago, ryan said:

I like to compare IQ to levels of understanding and thought how deep it can go

iq 80-85-no god

iq 85-90-god

90-105-no god

105-120-god

120-140-no god

140-150-god

150-160-no god (einstein range)

160-180- rabid belief in god

180-220- insanely obsessed with god aka chris langan worlds smartest man

belief in god is pre determined and alot like chess. I think there is a pattern, I was semi serious but notice when the person is in the 1-billion range 9 times out of ten they are religious...makes me wonder why im atheist. perhaps i'm not smart enough to see god.

watch the video and you'll see what I mean, spoiler- he was in a cult

and heres a good article, I always thought the smarter you were the less you believed in god..thats semi true but when you reach a certain level of intelligence it comes back and hard

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-faith/are-atheists-smarter-than-believers-not-exactly/2013/08/16/34393a2c-069b-11e3-bfc5-406b928603b2_story.html

Exceptionally intelligent people tend to run out of answers to their questions and questions to their answers, so they turn to the greatest question/answer of all time: does God exist? is this reality the design (pattern) of a superior intelligence? These kind of people as intelligent as they are, they tend to see patterns in this reality and take them to heart looking for their ultimate answer, eg: Tesla and the number 3, Fibonacci sequence, fractals, constellations, etc. As humans, we are wired neurologically (via evolution, natural selection) to recognize patterns for the sake of survival and stability. 

Maybe there's a method for this madness: A bored God has a drawing board with the designs of everything past, present, future. Or maybe not, this existence is pure random crap that stuck to the wall long enough to create a self aware organic entity that questions everything.

In my opinion IQ values over a certain number that determines that a person is 'normal' and can survive and thrive in a society, are not that important, because there's so many people with a high IQ score (including unbeknownst to them), but you don't see ALL of them developing the breakthrough of the millennia in every field of science and or theology every day.

Also, there's a massively underrated form of intelligence, which is the emotional intelligence, that in my opinion, sets boundaries for the logical brain so we as humans don't become sociopaths or psychopaths.

in short and for me at least: people are free to do whatever they want with their gift of brain functionality, but their outputs, their findings, opinions, etc, are as valid as the next fellow can confirm them, and the next fellow to the last, and so on.

• Bump 1

well put. i think creating patterns is important to the evolution of intelligence.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

11 hours ago, duskw4lker said:

Exceptionally intelligent people tend to run out of answers to their questions and questions to their answers, so they turn to the greatest question/answer of all time: does God exist? is this reality the design (pattern) of a superior intelligence? These kind of people as intelligent as they are, they tend to see patterns in this reality and take them to heart looking for their ultimate answer, eg: Tesla and the number 3, Fibonacci sequence, fractals, constellations, etc. As humans, we are wired neurologically (via evolution, natural selection) to recognize patterns for the sake of survival and stability. 

Maybe there's a method for this madness: A bored God has a drawing board with the designs of everything past, present, future. Or maybe not, this existence is pure random crap that stuck to the wall long enough to create a self aware organic entity that questions everything.

In my opinion IQ values over a certain number that determines that a person is 'normal' and can survive and thrive in a society, are not that important, because there's so many people with a high IQ score (including unbeknownst to them), but you don't see ALL of them developing the breakthrough of the millennia in every field of science and or theology every day.

Also, there's a massively underrated form of intelligence, which is the emotional intelligence, that in my opinion, sets boundaries for the logical brain so we as humans don't become sociopaths or psychopaths.

in short and for me at least: people are free to do whatever they want with their gift of brain functionality, but their outputs, their findings, opinions, etc, are as valid as the next fellow can confirm them, and the next fellow to the last, and so on.

I believe and go with the philosophy that every person I meet, smart or dumb, weather I even like them or not, no matter their gender, religion, culture, upbringing, sexual preference  or political bias, has "something"...that one speck of information they could teach me, that is worth me knowing.

I just need to decide if I want to sort through their bull enough to find that one piece of valuable information :classic_wink:

Thunderchild // Lenovo Legion Y740 17" i7-9750H rtx2080maxQ win10 

RainBird // Alienware 17 (Ranger) i7-4910mq gtx860m win10LTSC

6 hours ago, Eban said:

I believe and go with the philosophy that every person I meet, smart or dumb, weather I even like them or not, no matter their gender, religion, culture, upbringing, sexual preference  or political bias, has "something"...that one speck of information they could teach me, that is worth me knowing.

I just need to decide if I want to sort through their bull enough to find that one piece of valuable information :classic_wink:

Being humble is a virtue that needs more attention. Life tends to slap you in the face when you are inexperienced and think you know all the answers, and as personal experience, I still remember to this day, the day that I sat and smoke a cig with a homeless person, a couple of hours flew by and we parted ways with more than we had before we met. And of course not everything is sunshine and rainbows, as you say, one has to sort through some 'layers' to learn something new.

• Thumb Up 1

1 hour ago, ryan said:

@duskw4lkerdo you play chess if so I wouldn't mind having a match with you its just sport afterall

@ryan Sorry, I don't play chess, I recognize its value but still, it never piqued my interest. Ask around, there's bound to be another fellow chess player in this small corner of the internets 🙂 

• Thumb Up 1