NotebookTalk

R.I.P Syrillian (Daniel Costin)

Reciever

I just wanted to leave a little mark of history that seems to be whittling away with time.

I never knew Syrillian personally, only by his work. He was quite gifted with tools and acrylic. He had quite a resume of interesting mod projects that used to be hosted over at Overclock.net. From I had seen he seemed to be quite a nice fellow, with a keen sense of creativity. Not to mention, iirc, he was quite jacked! Sadly cancer took what was previously the picture of health and whittled him down until nothing remained.

Please take the time to read this.

As many of you know, our resident acrylic modding guru Syrillian (Daniel Costin) passed away on the 13th of August. His family held a memorial service this last Sunday and a few of us from OCN were privileged enough to attend. Since many of you knew him well, those of us who attended were able to pass along the sentiment of the forum. I'll use forum names so I don't confuse everyone's socks off. We made sure to convey to overarching sense of admiration for Syrillian and they have been reading threads here and are definitely touched.

Tator Tot flew out from St. Louis to San Diego and met up with SmasherBasher there. They then rented a small truck and drove up to San Francisco on Saturday. I flew into San Jose from Portland and got picked up on their way Saturday night. We got a hotel in San Rafael. The next day we drove around San Francisco and headed out to the VA where the memorial service was being held. We met Syrillian's family and were able to talk with them. There were pictures of Syrillian's life (I took some photos of them which I'll post when I get them organized) and a thought book. Syrillian used to collect stones and so there was also a small pile from which you could choose one to keep in remembrance of him.

Here is a small summary of Syrillian's life that I was able to gather from the memorial and spending time with his family:

His mother is Chinese and his father was Irish and worked for the Library of Congress. They had two daughters and adopted Syrillian when he was only 3 months old. Syrillian's ethnicity was half native-american, half-filipino (according to this post). He looked just like the rest of their family and you probably would never guess. When the kids were all under 10, they moved to India as his parents were rather adventurous. After a while living there, they moved to Hong Kong where they lived for most of their childhood. His two older sisters attended school on the East coast. Syrillian entered the military and as we all know grew very much and retained much of the discipline and order. From every bit I gathered throughout the weekend, their family was very close. While they sometimes spent years apart, after 10 minutes together it was if they had never left. His mom currently lives in Spain, a sister lives in China, and the other in Seattle. As you can see, their travels became part of who they are. In November 2010, Syrillian had a chance to return to Hong Kong and spent the entire time visiting and reminiscing about their time living there. His family didn't know much about his computer building until he mentioned that he had made the cover of CPU Magazine with Silentium. I don't think they realized the full extent of this hobby until they came in to clean his stuff. He passed away with his family there with him. From the recounting of it by his family, it appears he was holding out until they could all be there. It really showed how much he loved them.

The memorial was very nice with many people sharing experiences from all parts of his life. EpicPie showed up at the memorial and was with us for the rest of the trip. Between family members, us from OCN, work, and friends I feel we got a very good idea of who he was during his life. I doubt it will surprise many of you to know that in his daily life he was just as courteous, thoughtful, and happy as he was on OCN. He would help people at any chance he had and always liked to have fun. He also liked to eat. In the memorial, the VA chaplain recounted a discussion she had had with Syrillian while there. He felt he had finally reached a content point in his life because of three reasons: 1) He didn't owe Uncle Sam (the government) anything, 2) His computer building was taking off, and 3) He owned a Ducati. He was always able to see the bright side of life and always cared for others more than himself.

After the memorial, we were invited to attend a dinner at a local Chinese restaurant. It was fun to be able to sit down and meet some people he had known in other parts of his life and reflect on how he affected us an how we affect one another in general. That night we crashed back at our hotel and then headed up to Santa Rosa to help his family go through his many tools and parts. If you've ever dealt with Syrillian, he was extremely organized and ordered, something his family attributes to his time in the Marines. It was humbling to be able to be there where he did such amazing work and got to know all of us. We helped the family know what was worth keeping and what wasn't. You'll be glad to know that some of his great cases were there in perfect condition and they've either been taken by the family or retrieved by us. We're working on ways to get these things into members' hands so keep an eye out. I won't say just what we've recovered and sadly out truck was only so big but know that everything has a good home if we weren't able to take it.

All in all, his family appreciated having some of his friends from 'across the internet' and hearing stories of him from those connections. They appeared to me to be handling his passing very well and while they are all sad, they have plenty of happy memories. It was also fun to get to meet some fellow OCN members in real life even though we had talked and been friends for quite a bit.

If you want to share anything with the family, you can post it here or in the other thread as they have been following them closely. They are very happy to read about this life that was partially invisible and to see how much good he has done.

-IEATFISH

https://www.overclock.net/threads/syrillians-memorial-service-pictures-added.1099271/

Syrillian had already passed when I learned of who he was, but his effect on me has been long lasting.

Syrillian was the catalyst to what little I had contributed in the world of custom modifications, and why I still on occasion dabble in the space. While I wont reach the same heights, its important to pay respect where respect is due.

Thanks mate, for what you contributed to your community while you were present, and for the legacy you left behind.

• Thumb Up 3
  • Sad 1

• 9 months later...

Now that you mention overclock.net.  I do remember him.  I used to be a regular on there back when I was building machines.  Health is number one priority now.  I am getting overweight again, and our home gym got flooded out by sewer in sept.  We are getting all fixed up in the new year.  I am also battling some lung / respiratory issues where I am on steroids trying to combat whatever is going on.  Not cancer etc, but scary when you cannot get a breath to save your life.  

Many people leave too young because of cancer and other illnesses.  Hopfully he never suffered much and is at rest now!

RIP!  

• Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 1
  • Sad 1

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

On 12/19/2022 at 1:37 PM, kojack said:

I am also battling some lung / respiratory issues where I am on steroids trying to combat whatever is going on.

Sorry to hear. Obviously don't know what's going on in your case (sounds like some autoimmune/inflammatory condition), but what's going on more broadly is that the food industry is slowly killing people and getting away with it. Worth reviewing your diet if you haven't already.

• Like 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

9 hours ago, Etern4l said:

Sorry to hear. Obviously don't know what's going on in your case (sounds like some autoimmune/inflammatory condition), but what's going on more broadly is that the food industry is slowly killing people and getting away with it. Worth reviewing your diet if you haven't already.

The wife and I were talking about this ad nauseum for the past month or so. We have decided that we are putting in a nice big greenhouse and planting a garden this spring on our property. We will never be vegitarian/vegan.  We cannot do it.  However, where we source our products from makes all the difference.  We will pay more, but we know where our products are coming from moving forward.  There is a local farm about 40 min away from here who raises their own cattle and by strict guidelines.  We are only going to be purchasing beef (when we do eat it) from there.  Same with pork and chicken, Local farmers only.  I also hunt (for food only, NOT SPORT).  Anything mass produced in factories is not great for you for sure!

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, kojack said:

The wife and I were talking about this ad nauseum for the past month or so. We have decided that we are putting in a nice big greenhouse and planting a garden this spring on our property. We will never be vegitarian/vegan.  We cannot do it.  However, where we source our products from makes all the difference.  We will pay more, but we know where our products are coming from moving forward.  There is a local farm about 40 min away from here who raises their own cattle and by strict guidelines.  We are only going to be purchasing beef (when we do eat it) from there.  Same with pork and chicken, Local farmers only.  I also hunt (for food only, NOT SPORT).  Anything mass produced in factories is not great for you for sure!

My understanding is that cutting out processed foods (processed carbs in particular) yields the most benefit. The source of meat is clearly important as well - should be grass-fed and not laden with antibiotics and other meds (easier said than done/verified). Then comes diet composition.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

Yes, processed carbs are killer.  We are going to be going lower carb in our eating after the new year as well.  Keeping carbs to the scattered vegetable or homemade bread item.  I may get a pasta maker and make our own.  Cut out sugar etc wherever possible.   

• Thumb Up 2

i always enjoy @Etern4ls and @kojacks responses. kojack is on the extreme side of things which I appreciate and eternal is always flipping smart..I honestly think you two can bring us back form the dead that is NBR

rainman anyone

On 12/26/2022 at 5:36 AM, kojack said:

honestly man if anyone knows gov secrets its eternal. building a garden and getting beef locally is the way to go. we are being killed softly

• Bump 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

That's how my brain works Ryan!  I can't help it.