Jump to content
NotebookTalk

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi everyone,

 

I’m prepping a thermal interface overhaul for an MSI Titan 18 HX (A2WJ-1246US) with Honeywell PTM7950 on the CPU and GPU dies. Since it uses a single-piece vapor chamber with varied component gap heights, I'm trying to select the right thermal putty for the non-die components (VRMs, VRAM, etc.).

 

I have two core priorities for this build:

  1. Zero vapor chamber standoff: Ensuring full, 100% compression on the PTM7950 die contact without any lifting.
  2. Long-term material stability: Withstanding 10–12 hours of continuous, daily intensive workloads for a similar lifespan to the PTM7950, without drying out, bleeding oil, or degrading to the point of failure (or as close as materially possible to that).

 

I'm currently weighing a few choices and would love to hear from anyone who has repasted this chassis or similar MSI vapor chamber setups:

  • Penchem TH949-1: Seems great for long-term binder endurance under heavy daily loads, but its 0.07mm particle size makes me slightly cautious about potential standoff if the gap clearances turn out to be ultra-tight.
  • Sub-0.03mm options (Halnziye HY236 Thick, Upsiren UTP-4 Ultra-Thin): Makes me feel less nervous about particle-induced standoff, but I'm curious if their binders maintain chemical stability over a multi-year lifespan under the intense workloads the laptop will be running daily.

 

For anyone who has worked with the Titan 18 HX or similar MSI vapor chamber designs:

  • What putty did you end up going with, and how have your temps/putty condition held up over time?
  • Did you run into any standoff issues with larger-particle putties on this board?
  • In your experience, would you reach for TH949-1, HY236 Thick, UTP-4 Ultra-Thin, or something else entirely to safely satisfy both of things that I would like to prioritize?

 

Appreciate any real-world insight or hands-on experience!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use