NotebookTalk

What monitor(s) are you currently using, and why?

Katja

I checked out gaming on VR and its very impressive, as for productivity I just don't see it. I think after being away from VR for a few years I'll be picking up a quest 3 and finish half life alyx. It's good for movies also, I really enjoyed watching 3d movies on it, very impressive kinda like sitting front row at the theatre.

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

I only used the original Rift, the res wasn't high enough for productivity (or frankly movies), but I could kind of see it if the resolution was much higher. You can just conjure up multiple monitors and whatever space you desire, wherever you are.

Apple Vision Pro def targets productivity. 4K resolution per eye, seamless AR, and no need for controllers that would get in the way of using the keyboard. We'll hopefully see what it looks like in practice next year. Apparently it's a bit heavy, due to the front screen and being made of metal. 

• Thumb Up 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

Vr is neat, it's got the neato factor but I think AR is the future, Check out Nreal Air AR glasses. 3D died because it was gimmicky with the glasses and VR will fail the same way if they don't make it less dorky, people are shallow in general and the masses won't catch on until this happens(smaller)(looks Nice) I think hooking your cell phone up to a pair of nreals is a neat idea and could be useful for your morning coffee at the coffee shop(reading, watching news ect) but I think I'll avoid it until Nreal releases something with 4k resolution and when that happens ill be first in line. 

Also to add, Vr headsets look ridiculus and they are uncomfortable, I know that it varies but in general they are like hanging a weight on your head only to see VR (life is technically VR)

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

29 minutes ago, ryan said:

Vr is neat, it's got the neato factor but I think AR is the future, Check out Nreal Air AR glasses. 3D died because it was gimmicky with the glasses and VR will fail the same way if they don't make it less dorky, people are shallow in general and the masses won't catch on until this happens(smaller)(looks Nice) I think hooking your cell phone up to a pair of nreals is a neat idea and could be useful for your morning coffee at the coffee shop(reading, watching news ect) but I think I'll avoid it until Nreal releases something with 4k resolution and when that happens ill be first in line. 

Also to add, Vr headsets look ridiculus and they are uncomfortable, I know that it varies but in general they are like hanging a weight on your head only to see VR (life is technically VR)

Well, the Apple headset is a VR/AR hybrid. Obviously having the functionality it offers (4K+eye tracking+hand tracking) in a sunglasses format would be ideal, but is clearly impossible at this point. The Nreal Light glasses are kind of getting closer, but still looks like much lower resolution and no eye tracking. Usability probably wouldn't be there, especially compared to the expected quality of the experience on the Apple headset (if they can do one thing, it's smooth user interfaces).

As for the new Apple headset, pricing aside, it really depends on how comfortable the headset is. I could do some serious hours in the Rift.  

Edit: even 4K AR/VR probably wouldn't be enough to come close to the experience of interacting with a 4K monitor due to the different distances involved, would need 8K. 

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

The problem with headsets is that force you to use it and be ON always. Looking up at my 40cm distant 17.3 laptop monitor i can see birds bathing in a table nearby, i can look away, change focus which is essential for healthy eyes.

I have no doubts that there will be a big medical industry business if VR headsets are going to be common from physical to psychological issues. I don't think that more that 1-2hours are feasible to use continuously.

• Thumb Up 2

2 minutes ago, Bullit said:

The problem with headsets is that force you to use it and be ON always. Looking up at my 40cm distant 17.3 laptop monitor i can see birds bathing in a table nearby, i can look away, change focus which is essential for healthy eyes.

I have no doubts that there will be a big medical industry business if VR headsets are going to be common from physical to psychological issues. I don't think that more that 1-2hours are feasible to use continuously.

Good point, although the question is whether taking breaks every 30 min would not address this. I'm sure Meta and Apple have conducted the relevant health&safety studies already ;)

• Thumb Up 1

-- Max Tegmark

As much as I love my Gigabyte M28U, it doesn't get bright enough for my extremely well-lit office space. As such, I moved it to my gaming nook, swapping it with my MAG274QRF-QD. One of my local Best Buys had an open box Sony Inzone M9 for a bit more than $500 so I took a flyer on it. I won't have time to set it up until Monday, but hopefully it won't have any issues.

• Thumb Up 1

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

Gigabyte Aorus 16X: Core i7-14650HX | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 | 1 TB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

On 6/7/2023 at 1:34 PM, saturnotaku said:

As much as I love my Gigabyte M28U, it doesn't get bright enough for my extremely well-lit office space. As such, I moved it to my gaming nook, swapping it with my MAG274QRF-QD. One of my local Best Buys had an open box Sony Inzone M9 for a bit more than $500 so I took a flyer on it. I won't have time to set it up until Monday, but hopefully it won't have any issues.

keep us posted, really curious with the results.

On 6/6/2023 at 2:08 PM, Etern4l said:

Edit: even 4K AR/VR probably wouldn't be enough to come close to the experience of interacting with a 4K monitor due to the different distances involved, would need 8K. 

suprisingly 2k-4k on a vr headset looks sharp. once you can't see the pixels thats what you gun for the quest 2 is close. It had a small or very slight screen door effect due to visible pixels

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Picked up an AOPEN 34HC5CUR 34" Curved UWQHD (3440 x 1440). It says 'Fire Legend' on the bottom lol

https://www.aopen.com/BR_en/products_info/34XC1CUR_P/

My first non-1080p screen. Certainly feels nice, still able to push 60-80 frames out of the old 2070/i7 8750 combo in Warzone 2 online (with DLSS 😄).

MicroCenter has/had it for $279.99 USD. At some point I'll bite the bullet and get the new computer to go with it.

PowerSpec 1720 (PB70EF-G) | i7-8750H | 32GB 3000MHz DDR4 | RTX 2070 8GB 115W | 144Hz G-SYNC 

Spoiler

-163 mV core & cache | 15-18-18-36 1T @ 1.35V | 1905MHz @ .975mV & 1950MHz GDDR6
Disabled: TVB, VMX Stress, RDB, HDC
Tuned with: ThrottleStop, MSi Afterburner | TIM: SYY 157

wltgj7-2.png

Insyde H2OUVE BIOS Unlock | CB R20 - 3172 | CB R23 - 8164/1105 | CPU Prof. Max - 4702

1 hour ago, User said:

Picked up an AOPEN 34HC5CUR 34" Curved UWQHD (3440 x 1440). It says 'Fire Legend' on the bottom lol

https://www.aopen.com/BR_en/products_info/34XC1CUR_P/

My first non-1080p screen. Certainly feels nice, still able to push 60-80 frames out of the old 2070/i7 8750 combo in Warzone 2 online (with DLSS 😄).

MicroCenter has/had it for $279.99 USD. At some point I'll bite the bullet and get the new computer to go with it.

oooooo that looks like a nice monitor. I can't do the curved experience with my TV but I can run 3440x1440 at 120hz(500nits) It's hard to say if Ill go the monitor route ever again, but if I do it will be 4k and curved. congrats on your new toy.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• 6 months later...

Got a Lenovo L24i-40 23.8 inch monitor for christmas. I was previously using a 19inch toshiba TV, and the difference is night and day. Image quality is miles better than it was with the TV. I also had to set a wierd resolution when using the TV.

It's only 100Hz, but for what I use my pc for (internet use, and light gaming), i'm over the moon with it.

1cfe4752d71e3797dc7cf59c85963556.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I played with the Alienware OLED at a local Best Buy last weekend, and I'm slowly warming up to the idea of going that route. It wouldn't be with that model, rather the 27-inch Corsair that uses the same WOLED panel as the LG 27GR95QE because I need its KVM switch functionality. I would be keeping the LG 27GP950 in my upstairs office as it's primarily a productivity monitor that displays a lot of static content throughout its time in use. Plus an OLED would be too dim for the room. The Corsair would replace my current Gigabyte M28U, though I don't know if I'm ready to give up 4K resolution. I wish there were 4K/144 OLEDs in the 27-28-inch form factor.

• Thumb Up 1

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

Gigabyte Aorus 16X: Core i7-14650HX | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 | 1 TB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

5 minutes ago, saturnotaku said:

I played with the Alienware OLED at a local Best Buy last weekend, and I'm slowly warming up to the idea of going that route. It wouldn't be with that model, rather the 27-inch Corsair that uses the same WOLED panel as the LG 27GR95QE because I need its KVM switch functionality. I would be keeping the LG 27GP950 in my upstairs office as it's primarily a productivity monitor that displays a lot of static content throughout its time in use. Plus an OLED would be too dim for the room. The Corsair would replace my current Gigabyte M28U, though I don't know if I'm ready to give up 4K resolution. I wish there were 4K/144 OLEDs in the 27-28-inch form factor.

Just recently picked up the LG C2 42" to replace my HDTV/monitor. Haven't done much with it but did a quick trial of monster hunter: world on it. Pretty happy with it so far. Probably use it for controller games and maybe ARPG stuff. Using 125% scaling for now in windows 

• Thumb Up 1

• 5 months later...

The TV thing didn't work out like I thought it would.  I am still running my two dell 24" touchscreens, and the wife is using her 24" HP monitor. 

We have had alot of changes in our lives since I got sick and we are pushing to get our stuff up and running now. We know time is short on this trip so we are taking our oldest son's bedroom, living room, storage closet and turning it into our media center.  This area of our home is approx. 500sq ft.  I am moving my editing / Writing setup into the bedroom and running two alogic 27 inch touchscreens to replace the 24 in dells.  The living room is going to become the recording/podcasting center with round table capabilities and more.  The closet is the printing/scanning/product area for us.  Upstairs in the wife's office, she will be running at single Alogic display. 

I have the tv i was trying up on our wall to replace our old LG that started getting dark spots all over it. So it wasn't a waste of money ha ha.

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses