NotebookTalk

What monitor(s) are you currently using, and why?

Katja

ET430K. I wouldn't go back to a multi monitor setup now (given the desk space available). This is the best of both worlds - 4 FHD screens in one or a single continuous 4K space if needed, as is often the case. Flat 43 inch is the largest I would use too. 50 inches would need to be curved to be comfortable at arm's length, and the res would need to exceed 4K, otherwise there is no point. 

The main downsides of that monitor are 60Hz (not much of an issue for productivity), a bit of a temporary burn in (doesn't bother me at all, but it's sometimes noticeable),  and wonky HDR. 

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

• 1 month later...

I am adding a 14" touchscreen portable monitor to my workstation for tools on editing programs. I have seen this done and it works awesome. Also, I just picked up a new iPad 10th gen and I am going to install astropad studio on it to use as a wireless drawing tablet for my workstation.  My notebook is already pen sensitive and I can draw on that no issue, but it would be cool to have my workstation mirrored on my iPad and draw seamlessly on it.  Really cool tech!

• Thumb Up 2

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

Bought a Gigabyte M28U (4K/144 Hz) to use in my new home office.The colors look nice, and it's decently responsive even refresh rates lower than maximum. Plus, if I decide to game on my downtime I can use 1080p with integer scaling with no loss in image sharpness. My only complaints are 1) the lack of tilt adjustment on the stand and 2) overall brightness is not the best. Still, for $530 on sale, it's sold for a high-resolution, high-refresh display.

• Thumb Up 2

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Anyone ever use MSI displays?  I am getting the wifey a 27" msi display for her office.  They seem like a good deal. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well both my wife and I are re configuring our workspaces now and we are replacing our monitors with a 32 inch 4k for her and I am getting a 43 inch 4k with HDR10 for photo/video/graphics.  I had my dual monitor setup on a different desk. It worked better there. As one monitor was in front of me and the other was off to the side a bit.  now, both are in front of me and doing productivity work like writing, spreadsheets, etc is more uncomfortable as I have to look to the side and I cannot have the application right in front of me. 

I will give a report on the wife's setup first as I can get her display today in town.  Mine is coming from amazon so I have to wait for a bit on that one.  Anyone want to buy a 24" dell ultrasharp?  I also have an HP 22" ips that wifey is using currently.  My ultrasharp 24" touchscreen will be going to my son for his computer. 

• Thumb Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have a msi but at one point I did it was a 1080p 165hz display with 100srgb. was nice but I think my current 4k 120 sony x85j is alot better. brighter clearer and decent input lag.

• Thumb Up 2

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

It will be used for productivity so max refresh rate is no big deal.  I’m thinking more from a reliability standpoint.

I would save your money and buy a sony x85j for 500. it does 4k 120 and has good color coverage, great blacks and great response, nvm rtings review of it they show the stats and specs being above the x90k and rate the x90k higher, still got a good rating but makes no sense. another thing is you can modulate the kind of screen you want at any given time. for example im using a hp laptop with integrated grapics and need 4k sharp clear and easy to read, but when im gaming and dont have the power i set the black bars up at 1440p. I know your not much of a gamer these days but my standards apply to creative work also as I produce music and care about my computers and screens as artwork also plays a role in the album

if you absolutely need a monitor.

I was looking at a gigabyte monitor with 4k/144hz and its 43in for around 650 cad

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

6 hours ago, ryan said:

I would save your money and buy a sony x85j for 500. it does 4k 120 and has good color coverage, great blacks and great response, nvm rtings review of it they show the stats and specs being above the x90k and rate the x90k higher, still got a good rating but makes no sense. another thing is you can modulate the kind of screen you want at any given time. for example im using a hp laptop with integrated grapics and need 4k sharp clear and easy to read, but when im gaming and dont have the power i set the black bars up at 1440p. I know your not much of a gamer these days but my standards apply to creative work also as I produce music and care about my computers and screens as artwork also plays a role in the album

if you absolutely need a monitor.

I was looking at a gigabyte monitor with 4k/144hz and its 43in for around 650 cad

The Aorus doesnt have full color range and doesnt actually have 4K144hz. Uses compression techniques and 4:2:2 to get around an old standard.

More importantly, has the worst QC of any product in the market.

oh ok. It was just something that was recommended to me, looked good at first glance

got a pretty damn good rating from rtings.com

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/gigabyte/aorus-fv43u

they are highly reputable albeit not always perfect.

since when is 98 percent of adobe rgb bad, maybe im behind on the times

Adobe RGB Coverage xy 

98.4%
Adobe RGB Picture Mode 

Custom 1

The Gigabyte AORUS FV43U has a superb SDR color gamut. It can display all of the sRGB color space used by most desktop content and most video games. It also has nearly perfect coverage of the Adobe RGB color space used for professional content creation, but reds especially are oversaturated.

On 4/8/2023 at 10:58 AM, Reciever said:

The Aorus doesnt have full color range and doesnt actually have 4K144hz. Uses compression techniques and 4:2:2 to get around an old standard.

More importantly, has the worst QC of any product in the market.

Source?

most places are praising gigabyte monitor and I can't seem to find what your talking about.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-aorus-fv43u-review-king-of-the-43-inch-class

https://www.displayninja.com/gigabyte-fv43u-review/

https://www.ign.com/articles/gigabyte-aorus-fv43u-review

https://www.techspot.com/products/monitors/gigabyte-fv43u.236645/

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/gigabyte-aorus-fv43u-gaming-monitor

https://www.wepc.com/gaming-monitor/review/gigabyte-fv43u/

I have the backing of basically everyone saying its a great monitor, I find it funny to chime in to counter oppose. but at the end of the end we are all entitled to our opinions, I'm going to stick with my advice and if @kojackhas doubts he can read the expert reviews.

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

17 hours ago, ryan said:

Source?

most places are praising gigabyte monitor and I can't seem to find what your talking about.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-aorus-fv43u-review-king-of-the-43-inch-class

https://www.displayninja.com/gigabyte-fv43u-review/

https://www.ign.com/articles/gigabyte-aorus-fv43u-review

https://www.techspot.com/products/monitors/gigabyte-fv43u.236645/

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/gigabyte-aorus-fv43u-gaming-monitor

https://www.wepc.com/gaming-monitor/review/gigabyte-fv43u/

I have the backing of basically everyone saying its a great monitor, I find it funny to chime in to counter oppose. but at the end of the end we are all entitled to our opinions, I'm going to stick with my advice and if @kojackhas doubts he can read the expert reviews.

You should read your first source.

The Gigabyte AORUS FV43U has two HDMI 2.1 ports, but like the other Gigabyte monitors with HDMI 2.1, they're limited to 24 Gbps. There's also one USB-C port; it supports a few advanced USB-C features, including DisplayPort Alt Mode, 15W fast charging for supported devices. The USB-C port allows you to use the monitor as a KVM switch (keyboard, video, and mouse).

Due to the lower maximum bandwidth of the HDMI 2.1 ports, the AORUS FV43U requires Display Stream Compression (DSC) 1.2a for anything that requires higher bandwidth, introducing some limits on the supported resolutions depending on the source device. You can read more about the supported resolutions here. This article is from our Gigabyte M28U review, but it's also valid for this monitor.

Although it's not currently part of our testing, we also checked for Sony PS5 and Xbox Series S|X compatibility with the FV43U, given that this monitor is advertised for console gaming. It's compatible with most features of all three consoles, but it doesn't support Dolby Vision. Because it requires DSC 1.2a and is limited to 24Gbps over HDMI 2.1, the PS5 only works at 4k @ 120Hz with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling since the PS5 doesn't currently support DSC.

It appears I misspoke on the 4k144hz when that was limited to the PS5, regardless it uses compression since its not actually a full bandwidth HDMI 2.1 port, but half bandwidth. There is also a lackluster amount of dimming zones, which makes contrasting quite difficult for this panel. (8 zones). Instead of 4:2:2 like incorrectly recalled it was 4:2:0.

It also uses a BGR layout instead of RGB. If the only thing you expect to do is gaming its likely to be trivial at best. Outside of gaming I've read issues about text on screen. I expect this is largely subjective, but its not something Im willing to risk 700 USD on to experience. At the time i was considering this monitor I think it was on sale on Amazon for 600. It was also around that time that there were many complaints of bad QC in a lot of the Amazon reviews. Many of which had to replace their units I believe up to 3 times or just sent back altogether.

Its not a terrible monitor, but for the price you are getting a mixed bag. At the time of release was there anything else better? Not for the price, but that doesnt mean its a premium product either.

First video I watched on this product, which only left me wanting to get second and third opinions because I wanted this monitor, but didnt want to have to deal with buyers remorse. The take away from this video was lackluster HDR, iirc poor lighting zones.

This was the second video I watched. This one covers the half bandwidth ports more than the first.

Lastly, still not following the only rule you seem to ignore. Double Posting.

sorry for double posting, I know its a big deal.

Theres always a negative opinion out there and that applies to everything. thanks for that though.

at 60hz it has bad input lag not at 144hz. I read the review it would not have scored 8.5 if it was a bad monitor

in 42 seconds in on the first video he says it has a excellent color gamut, which is the opposite of what you said. not im not going to argue as I feel as though its a waste of time when about 50 sources back my opinion.

im done here.

you catch more bees with honey than vinegar.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

2 minutes ago, ryan said:

sorry for double posting, I know its a big deal.

Theres always a negative opinion out there and that applies to everything. thanks for that though.

at 60hz it has bad input lag not at 144hz. I read the review it would not have scored 8.5 if it was a bad monitor

Address essentially 0 points with a hand wave, nice.

measurable objective analysis, what that means to you as the consumer is the opinion.

It may not have input lag 144hz, but it has considerable overshoot as a result of running in that mode.

• 1 month later...

thats nice!

Alot of people look for the basics as a starting point. good color coverage, contrast,resolution, refresh rate, motion. I heard only good things about the monitor. I guess everything has a downside.

i'd read this as rtings are one of the most accurate benchmark and review sites in the business

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

A yeah later, still a Dell UltraSharp 2412M.

This monitor has been a great value.  11 years, soon to be 11.5, and it just keeps working reliably day after day, with a lot of use.  I don't know if I'm more pleased that it's so reliable or disappointed that so little has tempted me as an upgrade.

We've got ultrawides at work, Dell I think, and they're nice.  But I still spend a lot of time arranging windows on them, and they're actually too wide for my peripheral vision.  If a notification comes in on the left or right side, I often don't notice it, which is both good (it doesn't break my focus) and bad (I might miss something relevant).  Objectively I think it is still a net improvement over one monitor for productivity, but is it better than a two-monitor setup where Windows+Left/Right moves windows across four half-monitors?  I'm not convinced.

I rarely use my laptop monitor as a second monitor.  One in a while it is useful to have a database up next to an IDE or something like that.  But usually a quick alt-tab between two windows is more than adequate.  I guess I'm concluding that there are diminishing returns in screen real estate.  27 would be better than 24, but the gains are less than 24 was over 21, or 21 over 17.  My home setup has not quite maximized my field of vision, but my work setup has more than done that, so I can see that there is a point of overkill approaching, and I'd rather spend the money on a weekend trip than buying a fancier monitor.

(Also the amount of time I spend playing reflex-dependent games is approaching zero, so the benefit of high-refresh-rate options is declining as well.  Yeah, my 75 Hz CRT has a better refresh rate than my 60 Hz LCD, and I can notice that in some applications, like racing games.  But do I care?  A lot less than I might have when I was 15 years younger)

• Thumb Up 1

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

I have a 144hz display and I have to check settings to know if its at 60hz or 144hz..these kids

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

I use a Asus Proart 248 as secondary monitor to my 17.3 laptop. I like that i can put the bottom if it at level of laptop screen bottom and that the color reproduction is not much different - i already had chosen the laptop to be 100% sRGB. It cost me 220 euro - is already an old series i guess that is the reason- but with certified 100% sRGB colors good 350 nits, 16:10 , elevation, pivot,  rotation and many options it is a very nice one. Surprised that it gets 75hz more than usual for this monitor type.

• Thumb Up 1

yeah before I got my TV I was looking at a pro art monitor, they are pretty nice, I think it was 75hz just like yours (2021 model)

Honestly most tvs and monitors are pretty good these days, its not like it was 10 years ago when there was a huge gap in specs and quality.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

my Tv covers about 80 percent of rec 2020 and it looks great when colors and contrast are cranked up. I went back to my laptops measly 144hz/100 srgb and it looks washed out whereas when I first bought it I thought it was vibrant. Oleds are also killing it, once you own oled its hard going back as you stated.

@Bullit I was wondering if you have heard of a glasses free 3d tv or is VR still the only way to see 3d. havent seen a 3d tv in a while and my 1080p lg 3d tv is getting weak in the cpu.

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Anyone explored ditching their monitors for the latest VR headsets (Quest 2/Pro I guess) for productivity? 

Looks like Quest 2 pro is not quite there yet, perhaps Quest 3 or Apple Vision Pro at $3500 will do the trick :)

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity