NotebookTalk

Lenovo Legion 5 Pro (2022)

KING19

15 minutes ago, jlp0209 said:

At this point, I think I just have a) a defective laptop / GPU and b) horrible luck with Legion laptops. Am not re-ordering the Pro, sadly. For what it's worth, my display type is BOE0A1F. What panel do you have? 

Could be, curious to see what others have. 

Mine has the same panel. Could be the BIOS update you did went bad somehow. I'm on the original J2CN40WW revision, and I believe the latest is 43.

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

2 hours ago, saturnotaku said:

Mine has the same panel. Could be the BIOS update you did went bad somehow. I'm on the original J2CN40WW revision, and I believe the latest is 43.

Did a complete clean Windows 11 install and then reverted back to bios 40. Same really bad touchpad choppiness and skips. The touchpad did not even respond when installing Windows, I had to use external mouse until install and updates were done. I have no desire to take apart the case and attempt to tighten the touchpad, if that is even the issue. 

Lenovo Legion Pro 7i: i9 13900HX / RTX 4090 / 32gb DDR5 5600 RAM / 1tb + 4tb ssd.

Tried reflashing bios 2 times? 

Maybe it's not the case anymore but worth a try. Some bios flashing might require to flash twice if something went really bananas. 

This being said, it sounds like it's something firmware level or hardware. You pretty much did everything you could at a software level. 

One last thing would be a clean windows install together with blocking windows from installing drivers and such. Installing all drivers directly from Lenovo support while being sure windows hasn't poisoned any device. 

5 hours ago, saturnotaku said:

Thanks. To answer your earlier question about other content, when I ran Timespy the display flickered every now and then, almost like artifacts (GPU was stock / no OC). Grid Legends as well, massive stuttering. Same behavior upon reverting to older bios v40.

2 hours ago, -batab- said:

Tried reflashing bios 2 times? 

Maybe it's not the case anymore but worth a try. Some bios flashing might require to flash twice if something went really bananas. 

This being said, it sounds like it's something firmware level or hardware. You pretty much did everything you could at a software level. 

One last thing would be a clean windows install together with blocking windows from installing drivers and such. Installing all drivers directly from Lenovo support while being sure windows hasn't poisoned any device. 

Did exactly that when I did the clean install. No luck 😕 

Lenovo Legion Pro 7i: i9 13900HX / RTX 4090 / 32gb DDR5 5600 RAM / 1tb + 4tb ssd.

48 minutes ago, jlp0209 said:

Thanks. To answer your earlier question about other content, when I ran Timespy the display flickered every now and then, almost like artifacts (GPU was stock / no OC). Grid Legends as well, massive stuttering. Same behavior upon reverting to older bios v40.

Lenovo's BIOS updates are pretty badm I havent updated mines in almost 2 years because most of their BIOS updates are either buggy or bricking your system. Anyways It sounds like your problem is a hardware issue since you did everything you could at a software level and with the GPU flickering while running timespy and stuttering while playing games among issues with the touchpad.

You should return it and either exchange it for another unit or get a refund.

• Thumb Up 1

Current Laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.8Ghz (Boost: 4.2Ghz), 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 Memory, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS display, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, 1 TB Teamgroup MP34 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home 22H2

11 hours ago, jlp0209 said:

I can try to run 3DMark later on. At this point it may be time for you to jump ship to a different brand or keep your Blade 14. I'm really liking the 5i Pro except for the fact that I've forgotten just how thick and heavy it is. It's a tradeoff as it will be extremely difficult to find something that offers reasonable performance and thermals/fan acoustics in a thinner package that doesn't cost a fortune.

• Thumb Up 1

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

11 hours ago, saturnotaku said:

I can try to run 3DMark later on. At this point it may be time for you to jump ship to a different brand or keep your Blade 14. I'm really liking the 5i Pro except for the fact that I've forgotten just how thick and heavy it is. It's a tradeoff as it will be extremely difficult to find something that offers reasonable performance and thermals/fan acoustics in a thinner package that doesn't cost a fortune.

We'll see. I love the keyboard on the L5 Pro, best I think I've ever used. Feels the same to me as my old ThinkPad(s) X1C, only on a gaming / real laptop. 

**Edit- apparently it's the power supply I use at my office re: choppy mouse / touchpad. SlimQ 240w, worked fine with my Legion 7 but for some reason the L5P doesn't always get along with it. Using the Lenovo brick and all good. 

Still doesn't resolve my G-sync issues, but at least I know the laptop isn't defective in other respects. 

**Edit 2: Installed the stock Nvidia and Intel VGA drivers from Lenovo's site and everything works perfectly, G-sync included. Very annoying that only very old drivers work, but is what it is. 

• Thumb Up 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2022 at 7:50 AM, jlp0209 said:

To add insult to injury, NV driver 511.65 won’t install because it says PC not compatible. So this means I can’t use any driver from NV earlier than 512.xx which work properly. 

I'm way late to this party so I'm not sure if still relevant.

I had the same issue with old Nvidia drivers not installing. My work-around was to use the "add hardware support" function in NVcleaninstall

• Thumb Up 1

On 11/11/2022 at 3:21 PM, KING19 said:

Modern standby has nothing to do with Lenovo at all, Its a windows feature. I dont know the full details about it though. You could increase the length of time of when the display turn off when plugged in Power Options if that helps. Display and Standby problems normally caused by the VGA drivers. In your case it could be a problem with advanced optimus if your legion supports it. What version is your NVIDIA drivers?

I've tried a couple different AMD & Nvidia drivers with no real change. Currently I'm on Nvidia v. 522.25 and AMD v. 22.5.1. I have used NVcleaninstall and went driver only for the AMD, so maybe that has something to do with it. I'm also running Win.10 and Lenovo seems to be firmly in the Win11 camp so I'm on my own regarding drivers (actually, the Lenovo Win11 drivers seem to work fine for me, but I tend to stick to manf. drivers just in case)

19 hours ago, RandomIdiot said:

I'm way late to this party so I'm not sure if still relevant.

I had the same issue with old Nvidia drivers not installing. My work-around was to use the "add hardware support" function in NVcleaninstall

That is useful info, thank you for posting it. Would've been useful for when I still had my Legion 7 yet still would've frustrated the heck out of me probably to the point of selling it anyway. 🤣

On 11/14/2022 at 3:07 PM, RandomIdiot said:

I've tried a couple different AMD & Nvidia drivers with no real change. Currently I'm on Nvidia v. 522.25 and AMD v. 22.5.1. I have used NVcleaninstall and went driver only for the AMD, so maybe that has something to do with it. I'm also running Win.10 and Lenovo seems to be firmly in the Win11 camp so I'm on my own regarding drivers (actually, the Lenovo Win11 drivers seem to work fine for me, but I tend to stick to manf. drivers just in case)

You should always use DDU when uninstalling AMD/NVIDIA drivers so it wont leave a trace of anything and causing issues when installing newer drivers. NVcleaninstall is good when installing NVIDIA drivers without all the bloatware.

• Thumb Up 1

Current Laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.8Ghz (Boost: 4.2Ghz), 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 Memory, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS display, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, 1 TB Teamgroup MP34 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home 22H2

While not as blindingly good a deal as the Asus G15 Advantage Edition when Best Buy puts it on sale for $1099, this L5 Pro from Antonline's fleBay store is pretty solid. You get the 6800H, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, and most impressively, a 3070 Ti for $1399. 

Legion 5 Pro 16" QHD Gaming Laptop 165Hz R7-6800H 16GB DDR5 1TB SSD RTX 3070Ti 196379319239 | eBay

This was a better buy than the non-Pro L5i I was using to swapped them out. My biggest concern with an AMD-based laptop is it immediately waking up when trying to put it to sleep, but so far so good. The fans do run at idle, but there's zero high-pitched whine. I still hate how bulky this thing is. At least I can use it with a 100W USB-C charger at the office, and one of the Type-C ports is wired to the integrated graphics so the NVIDIA GPU stays idle and the system that extra bit quieter. Still, you can't argue with the amount of performance you get for the price.

7 hours ago, saturnotaku said:

While not as blindingly good a deal as the Asus G15 Advantage Edition when Best Buy puts it on sale for $1099, this L5 Pro from Antonline's fleBay store is pretty solid. You get the 6800H, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, and most impressively, a 3070 Ti for $1399. 

Legion 5 Pro 16" QHD Gaming Laptop 165Hz R7-6800H 16GB DDR5 1TB SSD RTX 3070Ti 196379319239 | eBay

This was a better buy than the non-Pro L5i I was using to swapped them out. My biggest concern with an AMD-based laptop is it immediately waking up when trying to put it to sleep, but so far so good. The fans do run at idle, but there's zero high-pitched whine. I still hate how bulky this thing is. At least I can use it with a 100W USB-C charger at the office, and one of the Type-C ports is wired to the integrated graphics so the NVIDIA GPU stays idle and the system that extra bit quieter. Still, you can't argue with the amount of performance you get for the price.

I grabbed the 3060 version earlier this summer and no regrets - I'm not nearly into gaming enough to pay the extra $$ for the 3070 (but mine does have 2 1TB drives installed).

I absolutely love the battery life of the AMD - I'm getting ~8 hrs.

My issue with sleep is the damned "modern standby" that's being forced down our throats - I really hope Lenovo brings S3 back

Out of curiosity… when your screen turns off, does the machine go into standby mode? I've tried disabling that, but it don't help. I can be running  Cinebench and once the screen turns off, the machine throttles down

@KING19 suggested possible driver issues. just wondering what your machine does

Walmart just one-upped Antonline by putting last year's 5 Pro with a 5800H/RTX 3070 on Black Friday sale for $1099.

Lenovo Legion 5 Pro 16" Gaming Laptop, QHD 165Hz, AMD Ryzen 7, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Windows 11 Home, Storm Grey, 82JQ00F9US - Walmart.com

• Thumb Up 1

On 11/22/2022 at 5:41 PM, RandomIdiot said:

I grabbed the 3060 version earlier this summer and no regrets - I'm not nearly into gaming enough to pay the extra $$ for the 3070 (but mine does have 2 1TB drives installed).

I absolutely love the battery life of the AMD - I'm getting ~8 hrs.

My issue with sleep is the damned "modern standby" that's being forced down our throats - I really hope Lenovo brings S3 back

Out of curiosity… when your screen turns off, does the machine go into standby mode? I've tried disabling that, but it don't help. I can be running  Cinebench and once the screen turns off, the machine throttles down

@KING19 suggested possible driver issues. just wondering what your machine does

I have the 2020 version and standby works fine. I had problems with AMD drivers in the past because the stock ones are pretty bad and standby was one of the issues with them. Like i said in the other thread it could be a problem with advanced optimus. You could try disabling optimus and let your RTX 3060 take over the display and then use standby, If works normally then its a problem with the AMD drivers otherwise i am at a lost at this point..

Here is my power option settings:

d597088b4b238defd13d5f4d8948aefc.png

My Legion never goes to standby mode when the screen is off.

On 11/23/2022 at 1:44 PM, saturnotaku said:

Walmart just one-upped Antonline by putting last year's 5 Pro with a 5800H/RTX 3070 on Black Friday sale for $1099.

Lenovo Legion 5 Pro 16" Gaming Laptop, QHD 165Hz, AMD Ryzen 7, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Windows 11 Home, Storm Grey, 82JQ00F9US - Walmart.com

That's a steal there!.

Current Laptop:

On 11/25/2022 at 7:44 PM, KING19 said:

I have the 2020 version and standby works fine. I had problems with AMD drivers in the past because the stock ones are pretty bad and standby was one of the issues with them. Like i said in the other thread it could be a problem with advanced optimus. You could try disabling optimus and let your RTX 3060 take over the display and then use standby, If works normally then its a problem with the AMD drivers otherwise i am at a lost at this point..

Here is my power option settings:

d597088b4b238defd13d5f4d8948aefc.png

My Legion never goes to standby mode when the screen is off.

That's a steal there!.

I've been meaning to try dGPU mode for ages, just never got around to it.

Anyhow, I finally did over the weekend and same problem. Personally, I'm thinking it's a bios issue. Nobody I've chatted with that has an older Legion has this issue and I'm guessing they still have S3 support baked in.

If it didn't reek of effort, I'd install Win. 11 and see if that helps (Lenovo seems to have gone full-in on 11, so it wouldn't surprise me if Win 10 was getting hobbled because of it), but in all honesty, I have no interest in leaving LTSC behind either.

15 hours ago, RandomIdiot said:

If it didn't reek of effort, I'd install Win. 11 and see if that helps (Lenovo seems to have gone full-in on 11, so it wouldn't surprise me if Win 10 was getting hobbled because of it), but in all honesty, I have no interest in leaving LTSC behind either.

Every new laptop from late-2021 onward, even models that originally came with Windows 10, has 11 preinstalled so it's not solely a Lenovo thing.

Incidentally, the L5 Pro I got from the Antonline fleBay deal has hard locked on me several times, and the keyboard seems to be suffering from chatter on several keys so that's going back today. Did the RMA request through fleBay and got the return shipping label right away. I had originally ordered one of the $1099 2021 5 Pro models from Walmart but instead opted for a Legion 7 AMD Advantage Edition with the R7 6800H and RX 6700M GPU. In addition to the Black Friday discount, there was a pair of coupon codes that stacked, and with Rakuten cash back, it will end up being less than $1500 all-in. Unfortunately, I couldn't cancel the Walmart order before they shipped it so I'll need to send that back - mostly because I forgot that this model doesn't have a video output that's wired to the integrated GPU, which I need if I want to use the machine at work. Using iGPU video output really helps keep fan noise to a minimum.

23 hours ago, RandomIdiot said:

I've been meaning to try dGPU mode for ages, just never got around to it.

Anyhow, I finally did over the weekend and same problem. Personally, I'm thinking it's a bios issue. Nobody I've chatted with that has an older Legion has this issue and I'm guessing they still have S3 support baked in.

Most modern PCs that are running Windows 10/11 support modern standby without issues. It could be a problem with your Windows 10 LTSC installation. Most likely it needs to be updated if you're still using the one that was posted on NBR before

Check out this thread here:

• Thumb Up 1

Current Laptop:

On 11/29/2022 at 11:45 PM, KING19 said:

Most modern PCs that are running Windows 10/11 support modern standby without issues. It could be a problem with your Windows 10 LTSC installation. Most likely it needs to be updated if you're still using the one that was posted on NBR before

Check out this thread here:

I was trying to brain this out with the help of somebody on another site. Supposedly, when the screen turns off, the machine will go into standby mode. Doesn't matter if anything is actually running or not - screen off = standby. So, the annoying thing is that disabling modern standby doesn't actually help on my machine. Sure everything indicates S0 is disabled, but the exact same symptoms occur. Best we could come up with is that the method for disabling S0 isn't 100% effective for my machine. It could be driver, BIOS, or just the fact S0 is garbage (from my research, it seems like different machines are affected in different ways and what works for 1 person doesn't mean it'll work for everyone.)

At this point, I give up and will just use a workaround - disable screen off and use a blank screen saver instead. I could also disable the screen off and lid close options, but then I'd need to retrain myself on different hibernate methods since I current have the lid close set to hibernate.