NotebookTalk

Precision M4800 + HP Quadro T2000 upgrade

Trov

50 minutes ago, Zeht said:

I found one that allegedly comes from a Thinkpad X1 Extreme (source). Inspecting it with Pascal TDP Tweaker shows that its max power is 20W, which seems very low. You could try it and see how it performs, make sure to backup.

nvidia.rom 256 kB · 1 download

Thank you very much! I gave it a try immediately, sadly it didn't work:

Screenshot_20240516_145134.png.3d0472643c693de19a02006ff1f75f05.png

I guess the ThinkPad X1 Extreme one is soldered, and thus considered a different card?

53 minutes ago, Per Astra Ad Deum said:

I guess the ThinkPad X1 Extreme one is soldered, and thus considered a different card?

Subsystem ID will never match when you're doing a flash of an "unsupported GPU" in a laptop.  The subsystem ID is actually determined by the motherboard of the system that you put the GPU in, so it is expected that it will not match.  You'll need to pass the flag to nvflash to ignore that.  (Something like -overridesub I think.)

As for the board ID being wrong, I'm not sure about that and if it would be "safe" to try and force it.

• Thumb Up 1

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED ProMotion display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

4 hours ago, Per Astra Ad Deum said:

You can try using nvflashk or omgvflash

6 hours ago, Per Astra Ad Deum said:

Thank you. I've looked into these but it seems they are for windows only.

Should I just try to override the error in nvflash? From what I gathered online it should be safe ...

You could try, I think that the worst scenario would be that the card doesn't output video, in that case simply flash the old vbios back using the igpu. I'm not sure if you can override the error with regular nvflash though, that's why I mentioned those modified versions in the previous reply.

17 hours ago, Zeht said:

You could try, I think that the worst scenario would be that the card doesn't output video, in that case simply flash the old vbios back using the igpu. I'm not sure if you can override the error with regular nvflash though, that's why I mentioned those modified versions in the previous reply.

Well I tried overriding the PCI Subsystem ID with the "-6" flag. And it seemed to work. However, the Board ID seems to be a deal breaker 😞 

8 hours ago, Per Astra Ad Deum said:

Well I tried overriding the PCI Subsystem ID with the "-6" flag. And it seemed to work. However, the Board ID seems to be a deal breaker 😞 

Aside from trying using one of the modded versions of nvflash I can't think of anything else to do, if you manage to find anothe vbios it will probably have the same error when trying to flash.

On 5/18/2024 at 4:11 AM, Zeht said:

Aside from trying using one of the modded versions of nvflash I can't think of anything else to do, if you manage to find anothe vbios it will probably have the same error when trying to flash.

Alright, so here's what I did:

1. I've installed Windows 10 on a spare SSD.
2. I've ran omgflash. It did work! All I had to do was acknowledge the risks of overriding the various protective measures by typing a variation of "yes".

so far, so good. Here are my findings:

The ROM you've provided has indeed a power limit far lower than that of my MSI/Dell branded card. While performing quite a bit worse than the original (4100 vs 4800 points on Unigine Superposition Benchmark), it draws significantly less power and temps are reduced by a whooping 10-15°C!

However, there's the catch. Or more of deal breaker really. None of the outputs are functioning with the new vBIOS. No external monitor at all with this firmware 😞 

So I had to revert the changes sadly.

Nevertheless, thank you for your effort in finding that vBIOS and pointing me towards the flashing tool!

If you ever run across another vBIOS or any means by which I could tweak mine, please reach out.

• Thumb Up 1

4 hours ago, Per Astra Ad Deum said:

Alright, so here's what I did:

1. I've installed Windows 10 on a spare SSD.
2. I've ran omgflash. It did work! All I had to do was acknowledge the risks of overriding the various protective measures by typing a variation of "yes".

so far, so good. Here are my findings:

The ROM you've provided has indeed a power limit far lower than that of my MSI/Dell branded card. While performing quite a bit worse than the original (4100 vs 4800 points on Unigine Superposition Benchmark), it draws significantly less power and temps are reduced by a whooping 10-15°C!

However, there's the catch. Or more of deal breaker really. None of the outputs are functioning with the new vBIOS. No external monitor at all with this firmware 😞 

So I had to revert the changes sadly.

Nevertheless, thank you for your effort in finding that vBIOS and pointing me towards the flashing tool!

If you ever run across another vBIOS or any means by which I could tweak mine, please reach out.

Ah thats unfortunate, I think the video outputs don't work because the vbios is from a laptop which has a soldered gpu and probably outputs video from the igpu.

I have another idea, which is to reduce the tdp of your original vbios using Pascal TDP Tweaker and then flash it with an external programmer, such as CH341A (make sure you get the 1,8V adapter, otherwise you'll fry your vbios chip).

The process of modding the vbios is quite straightforward, flashing it with the programmer is the challenging part but it can be done with some patience.