NotebookTalk

Limitations of Macros

Reciever

Just wanted to ask. I would like to automate a number of keystrokes but I would need to be independent of OS.

I would like to be able to program them for different projects and purposes.

One such use case would be making a series of alterations in UEFI sBIOS's

• 1 month later...

So, if I understand you correctly, you're after a programmable keyboard which stores the programming on board such that it can then send out combinations of standard keystrokes? I wonder if there might be any issues with timing compatibility when you try to use it with very different types of hardware..

Anyway, it looks like such things do exist, although many programmable keyboards do not clarify this important detail of their operation so you might have to ask for clarification from suppliers. But some options that look like they might work include #'s 1, 4, 7, 11, 12, 14, 15, 18 and 19 in this list:
https://www.findthisbest.com/best-keyboards/programmable-keypad
... because they appear to work by means of initial setup in Windows, but can then be used on any system/cross-platform. Probably some of the others there also work the same way.

Or, I also came across these:
https://www.prehkeytec.com/products/programmable-keyboards/
which might also work given that they are:
"Platform independent: Windows®, Linux®, Android™ and DOS compatible"

• 3 months later...

@Ishayin I know this response is a bit delayed. I had seen this post while at work and lost track of this as I continued searching.

It looks like what I had been looking for has been long desired by many in the peripheral space. One such solution is "QMK" or Quantum Mechanical Keyboard, which is an open source firmware/software that loads into a compatible controller board which then allows you to pretty much what ever you would like to do with a keyboard.

The next trick is to figure out if your board is compatible, and if so, what steps you have to take in order to make it so. If not, if there is someone else out there in the ether who had enough interest to make a replacement PCB with the controller that you want so that you can have the keyboard you want while using QMK.

My original solution to attempt was a macropad, but this used a driver called (recalling from memory here) PS2VRGB and as such wouldnt work with my synchronizers that I use to interface with 32x systems at a time. 

Luckily I was able to find an open box (actually 2) Code v3 TKL keyboards that more or less resolved this issue, for me anyways. I also picked up a Pok3r keyboard but the Pok3r doesnt seem to retain the settings I implement once it loses power.

I personally have a Durgod Full-size keyboard and was surprised to learn that it has macro functions as well but I have no idea how to set it up and the software seems impossible to download from their website.

• 2 months later...
On 9/25/2022 at 11:48 AM, Ishayin said:

Thanks for the update! The Code looks like a nice option if only distributed in the US so far.

Yeah it gets the job done for the most part, now I need to figure out something else which I'll make a thread for