NotebookTalk

Precision M6800 questions and upgrades

On 6/6/2024 at 11:22 AM, ruboj said:

it is good to know that Turing cards work with the M6800, i have some questions on the process you used to achieve this:

- which panel does your laptop support LVDS or eDP ?

- which heatsink(AMD or Nvidia) did you modify in order for the RTX 3000 to fit ?

- do you have any pictures of the modifications that you made to the heatsink and if so can you please share them with us ?

- did you have to do anything special with the VBIOS in order to make it work with the M6800 ?

- what driver modifications did you do so that they could install on Windows ?

Thank you for your post as it encourages us to refresh our veteran M6800's with newer hardware.

My daily is EDP and you will have to heavily mod an nvidia heatsink due to the ofset core though thankfully uses a normal x bracket. Be mindful of the vrm as supposedly that is a weakness of HP's mxm cards from this generation. All in all it works well and performs well without being a furnace though I always manually set the fans just to be sure. No special vbios and used nvcleaninstall to install the driver.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/28/2024 at 9:09 PM, Reciever said:

That is not true iirc 

Ran 32GB in an m6800 with the 4980hq a couple of years ago. 4980hq shines only where L4 cache is utilized. 

Long since sold the system though so I can't get validation. 

Tested the 4960HQ on the M6800 and it only works with the two RAM slots located at the bottom (A, B), the RAM slots under the keyboard are not working (C, D), I tried to insert four RAM and it won't turn on, and inserting the C, D slots alone doesn't work, the fan stops after a quick spin for a while, and then the error LED is displayed

2024-06-08-11-13-04-851_compressed_1717816983799.jpg

2024-06-08-11-17-10-736_compressed_1717816984014.jpg

Screenshot_20240608-111515_云端硬盘~2_compressed_1717816984111.png

• Thumb Up 2

19 hours ago, nforce4max said:

My daily is EDP and you will have to heavily mod an nvidia heatsink due to the ofset core though thankfully uses a normal x bracket. Be mindful of the vrm as supposedly that is a weakness of HP's mxm cards from this generation. All in all it works well and performs well without being a furnace though I always manually set the fans just to be sure. No special vbios and used nvcleaninstall to install the driver.

this is useful information, Thank you for sharing it with us.

On 6/7/2024 at 10:24 PM, Alex said:

Tested the 4960HQ on the M6800 and it only works with the two RAM slots located at the bottom (A, B), the RAM slots under the keyboard are not working (C, D), I tried to insert four RAM and it won't turn on, and inserting the C, D slots alone doesn't work, the fan stops after a quick spin for a while, and then the error LED is displayed

2024-06-08-11-13-04-851_compressed_1717816983799.jpg

2024-06-08-11-17-10-736_compressed_1717816984014.jpg

Screenshot_20240608-111515_云端硬盘~2_compressed_1717816984111.png

Is yours the recent one with the green interposer then that is likely the reason you are only getting two slots as mine just came in and only works with a single slot. The black one is the one that first came out a few years ago so it might be of a higher quality or at the least the quality of this new batch is questionable. The pins are noticeably more fragile than anything I've seen before.   

On 6/11/2024 at 2:55 AM, nforce4max said:

Is yours the recent one with the green interposer then that is likely the reason you are only getting two slots as mine just came in and only works with a single slot. The black one is the one that first came out a few years ago so it might be of a higher quality or at the least the quality of this new batch is questionable. The pins are noticeably more fragile than anything I've seen before.   

Yes, it's green PCB, here's the picture of the seller, the pins are really fragile, I'm careful to plug and unplug, I'm going to install it into my T440p, T440p seems to be more suitable for this CPU

image_editor_1718154651500~2.jpg

11 hours ago, Alex said:

Yes, it's green PCB, here's the picture of the seller, the pins are really fragile, I'm careful to plug and unplug, I'm going to install it into my T440p, T440p seems to be more suitable for this CPU

Yep that is the same one as mine and confirmed the cpu supports 32gb however there is an issue with the interposer so either a bad solder job or they got something wrong with the pcb.

My 4980HQ arrived 2 days ago. It has been a total disaster. I have not been able to get the bios to recognize it. I tested 2 MQ processors that I had being recognized perfectly when I reset the bios. This 4980HQ was never recognized... I updated the bios to A26 and tried resetting the bios several times. The processor pins were perfect but it didn't work, so I started the return... In the end I have decided which processor I will install and it will be a 4930mx. I will no longer try with 4980HQ, and even more so after reading the number of problems they cause, from display port failures, others that do not work like my case, others that only recognize 1 or 2 ram slots...

To clarify, it is the same green PCB in the last photos uploaded here.

• Thumb Up 1

5 hours ago, neroangelo said:

My 4980HQ arrived 2 days ago. It has been a total disaster. I have not been able to get the bios to recognize it. I tested 2 MQ processors that I had being recognized perfectly when I reset the bios. This 4980HQ was never recognized... I updated the bios to A26 and tried resetting the bios several times. The processor pins were perfect but it didn't work, so I started the return... In the end I have decided which processor I will install and it will be a 4930mx. I will no longer try with 4980HQ, and even more so after reading the number of problems they cause, from display port failures, others that do not work like my case, others that only recognize 1 or 2 ram slots...

To clarify, it is the same green PCB in the last photos uploaded here.

I feel depressed because I really wanted mine to work and have that paired with an RTX card.

I feel depressed because I really wanted mine to work and have that paired with an RTX card.

The green PCB is trash, the problem i checked and i only found this one on aliexpress. I didnt find another ones on ebay or other shop.

I was really looking for this model because it has a power similar to a 4930mx or 4940mx but is 47w and has better integrated graphics. But I really see it as absurd to ask for another one. If there was a way for the seller to test it and tell me that everything works and that's the case, that would be great. But before buying it, I contacted the seller and told him if his had any faults, and he told me no, they worked perfectly. So perfect that they don't turn on...

4 hours ago, neroangelo said:

The green PCB is trash, the problem i checked and i only found this one on aliexpress. I didnt find another ones on ebay or other shop.

I was really looking for this model because it has a power similar to a 4930mx or 4940mx but is 47w and has better integrated graphics. But I really see it as absurd to ask for another one. If there was a way for the seller to test it and tell me that everything works and that's the case, that would be great. But before buying it, I contacted the seller and told him if his had any faults, and he told me no, they worked perfectly. So perfect that they don't turn on...

In the message to the seller on aliexpress I had asked for one that worked with four memory slots instead I'll be getting a refund so r.i.p this little project. I really wanted to see how it performed in gaming as well in synthetic tests for the floating point performance but with only a single memory channel the results are always going to be lower than a fully functioning cpu. I did notice though it throttled down more than the MX similar to how Skylake with the L4 does even though the temps were good.

• 2 weeks later...

Taking advantage of everything, I have a question. Does anyone know if there is any option to install a Wwan card without the USB ports slowing down so much that they barely load anything?

When installing a Sierra MC7455, the moment I put in a USB to install Windows it takes about 10 minutes to load and it is very slow. When you remove the card it takes about 10 seconds to read the USB.

Edit: I found Wwan cards work with ubs line so, if i put this card, usbs works very slowly. If i disable on bios the Wwan card the usbs work right. I didnt know this. So i think if you need use the sim you need enable on bio and when you finish disable the card.

you could try cutting a thin strip of electrical tape and covering the contacts indicated in the image. make sure to cover the contacts on both sides of the card.

sierra-wireless-chip.jpg

2 hours ago, ruboj said:

you could try cutting a thin strip of electrical tape and covering the contacts indicated in the image. make sure to cover the contacts on both sides of the card.

sierra-wireless-chip.jpg

And which is the idea of covering the contacts indicated? I mean what is the benefit?

1 hour ago, neroangelo said:

And which is the idea of covering the contacts indicated? I mean what is the benefit?

i came across this workaround a while back on a long forgotten forum. it had to do with usb compatibility issues between the M6800 and the MC7455. covering up those pins enabled the card to work normally.

1 hour ago, nforce4max said:

Not sure what is going on but it should just be pci-e 2.0 and you can use a more modern card with an adapter.

There is a compatibility issue between wwan cards and some mpcie slots. To avoid this, it is recommended to isolate usb3 pins on the modem, which include pins 23, 25, 31, 33. It is enough to seal them with a strip of scotch tape. Ideally this should be enough, but additional actions are possible in case of failure.
On some modems like quectel this problem can be bypassed by software, but unfortunately on Sierra you need to act as described above.

Ty all for info. I didnt know it. I must understand that the failure is a conflict with the USB 3.0 controller. But isn't there any firmware for Sierra that works to solve this problem?

Edit: Do you think that a DW5821E with a mini pcie to m2 adapter would work without problems on the wwan port?

Edit2: I found solution i think on Sierra. Last firmware i think you can change usb speed.

at!usbspeed?
SUPPORTED:Super-Speed
CURRENT  :High-Speed

OK
at!usbspeed=?
!USBSPEED: <max_supported_speed>
<max_supported_speed>:
  0 - High Speed
  1 - Super Speed

OK

On 6/12/2024 at 4:13 AM, Alex said:

Can you give me a link to the lot where you ordered the i7-4980HQ? I want to try my luck, but I can't find any offers on ebay or aliexpress.

I really must thank you guys. It was a project that took a little longer due to some unforeseen events, but in the end I was able to assemble my Dell M6800 station.
Initially the processor was going to be a 4980hq, but because the one I received didn't even work, I had to return it and decided to buy a 4930mx. The next thing I did was change the AMD graphics and build a Quadro P4000 that I managed to build by changing the bios to the ones posted here. And then I upgraded the ram from 16 GB to 32 GB, although this did not make it run at 1866 but at 1600, but I am happy. Then I changed the keyboard to a illuminated one and changed the DVD player for the DVD rewriter, which I also saw was a Hitachi brand, which is synonymous with quality. I put an Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 card and a Sierra MC7455. In the end I managed to avoid the card problems by putting tape on the pins that a colleague explained to me and changing the firmware. When changing the firmware, I entered the console and changed the USBs and it no longer caused any problems. So I'm left with a pretty decent laptop, it doesn't really get too hot, at most the CPU and it hasn't gone 90 degrees at maximum effort. The Quadro p4000 simply hasn't gone over 67 degrees for me. Simply incredible card. I forgot to mention the panel on my laptop is EDP. The screen is magnificent. The only thing I couldn't get to work correctly was the fingerprint. I installed the latest firmware and the latest drivers and it still gives me a dirty error.

2024-07-09 (1).jpg

2024-07-09.jpg

• Thumb Up 3
  • Like 1
  • Bump 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2022 at 5:43 AM, Jers6410 said:

As you may noticed a cut to the copper part of the the heatsink was needed here (red square) specifically it was an area of 3mm.

7.jpg

Why this sizes? Well that's because the AMD heatsink seems to be of a different height compared to NVIDIA one... And the GPU die was far taller than my previous FirePro M6100 so this was the sizes that worked for me. If someone else find a better sizes for this kind of project please make the corresponding corrections to this post.

On 12/11/2022 at 5:43 AM, Jers6410 said:

The third point of the list was a bit tricky... To get correct size for the thermal pads a little try and failure was necessary, the method I used was to put some thermal paste on the GPU die and then put the the pads that may or may not be the correct for this card and heatsink. After a lot of hard work the correct sizes was something like this:

7.jpg

Why this sizes? Well that's because the AMD heatsink seems to be of a different height compared to NVIDIA one... And the GPU die was far taller than my previous FirePro M6100 so this was the sizes that worked for me. If someone else find a better sizes for this kind of project please make the corresponding corrections to this post.

great job

thanks

Do you think these pad sizes are suitable for Nvidia heatsink ?

Does anyone know the correct pad sizes for the nv heatsink?

Spoiler

Dell Precision M6800

• Motherboard LA-9782P
  • Intel Core i7-4810MQ
  • 24GB DDR3L-1600MHz SoDIMM
  • NVIDIA Quadro P4000 8GB( 86.04.2B.00.02 )
  • Storage:
    • Crucial_CT128M550SSD3

• CT240BX500SSD1

• SAMSUNG SSD PM851 2.5 7mm 128GB

• ST1000LM035-1RK172

• Windows 10 Pro
  • 17.3" 1920×1080 LGD02DA LVDS display
  • Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

• Dell Wireless 5808 Gobi™ 4G LTE Mobile Broadband Card

• 95Wh battery

267031(86.04.2B.00.02).rom