NotebookTalk

Precision M6800 questions and upgrades

You should order 0.5mm, 1mm, 1.5mm and 2mm pads and try it, because it not only depends on thickness but on it's hardness too, also as I said earlier some cards don't use the same height for their coil (R22), it's a real nightmare to be honest... ARCTIC TP-2 are really decent and cheap thermal pads while being not that hard 🙂

Also as I think about it, depending where you live, you can get cheap enough Quadro P3000/P4000 that are similar to 970M~980M for the P3000 and better than a 980M for the P4000 while consuming about 50W and 80W in gaming respectively (it's really easy to cool them and because of the temp it should last longer), the P5000 is a GTX 1070 level of performance but it does draw above 110w and is really expensive.

The M6700 is really similar to the M6800 so you can read this

The only downside of running a Pascal card on your setup is your LVDS screen, you MUST use optimus/switchable graphics so you might not get the full potential of your card on Internal display (mainly in higher fps games, below 60fps it's like 55 vs 60fps), on the other hand it should be fine on external display.

If you still want or find cheaper 980M/M5000M, try to buy one with 6 mosfet installed (on the picture you attached there was only 3 mosfet above the R22 coil), because they share the load more evenly, so they are a bit cooler on their mosfet, and less prone to failure.

• Bump 1

Desktop / I7 12700K @5/4GHz 1.24v / MSI Z690 Edge Wifi DDR4 / 32GB DDR4 B-die @4100c15 / RTX 3080 EVGA XC3 Ultra / Triple 27" 4k144 + 2*4k60
Precision 7550 / I7 10875H @4.3GHz all-core / 32GB DDR4 2933MHz / Quadro RTX3000 6GB @80W / 15.6" UHD 60Hz 10bits DCI-P3 HDR400 600nits / NVME / 95Wh

XPS 9500 / I7 10750H @3.2GHz all-core / 32GB DDR4 2933MHz / GTX 1650 Ti 4GB @50W / 15.6" FHD+ 60Hz 10bits, DCI-P3 / NVME / 86Wh

PM ME if you want to sell an RTX A3000/A4000/A5000 or RTX3080 for Dell Precision 7560/7760

I was the one that run an overclocked I7 3920XM @4.2GHz all-core in a M6700 with 32GB 2133MHz DDR3L, a Quadro P4000 and a 4k eDP display (also did dual LVDS/eDP internal display)

On 7/5/2022 at 2:00 AM, TheQuentincc said:

Also as I think about it, depending where you live, you can get cheap enough Quadro P3000/P4000 that are similar to 970M~980M for the P3000 and better than a 980M for the P4000 while consuming about 50W and 80W in gaming respectively (it's really easy to cool them and because of the temp it should last longer), the P5000 is a GTX 1070 level of performance but it does draw above 110w and is really expensive.

This is a really useful info! Now you opened up new possibilities for me! I found a P4000 for 280$ listed as P/N 900-6G418-0000-000, I don't have that much money right now but now I'm seriously considering that GPU.

Using optimus is not a problem for me but if I get that card and it works without problems the new goal will be updating the mainboard to the eDP version.

What do you think? Should I start making savings for the P4000?

Flashing the bios will be the only downside for me because I don't have any experience doing so and to be honest it makes me feel a bit nervous... Does the P4000 works without problems?

On 7/5/2022 at 2:00 AM, TheQuentincc said:

You should order 0.5mm, 1mm, 1.5mm and 2mm pads and try it, because it not only depends on thickness but on it's hardness too, also as I said earlier some cards don't use the same height for their coil (R22), it's a real nightmare to be honest...

And thanks a lot for this info I'll take your advice!

Hi everyone. New guy to the forum here, but I've had an M6800 for the last 4 years and have loved it and just stumbled on this thread doing a search on options to extend it's usefulness. Prior to that I used an M6600, I still have it, for many years and upgraded the I7 CPU to an Extreme, RAM, camera, finger scan, etc to trick it out as much as I could from searches I did back then. Before that I think I had the M6400 (I do miss the jog shuttle trackpad). I started getting these when I read they were the best option so I could do the video editing, but was always buying a few years prior due to budget when I saw a bargain I could afford. All had Quadro cards which I also read was the best option for editing. I love my M6800 and it's gone through a lot the last few years, but I've hit two limitations that have caused me to debate if I need to start looking for a newer model.

Adobe has been giving me warnings about the graphics cards (Quadro and Intel) not being supported since 2019, and when they did a forced upgrade from their 2021 version I was using a few month back into 2022, it bricked their program on my 6800. Couldn't get 2022 to run most of the time, and if it finally did, couldn't open any edits. I reinstalled the 2021 version, and now it's working again with the usual card warnings, but something still isn't quite up to par from before. When I talked to their tech support last year when I was first looking into the card issue, they said it was Nvidia's fault for not making a current driver and had me install a generic Windows driver from 2005. Talking with Nvidia tech, they said never use a driver that old or generic. They made sure I had the latest from them (about two weeks old) and then told me it was Adobe not supporting the card anymore. After that I did read it seems to be Adobe's common practice to make any system a few years old obsolete for their software. I've been on the verge of getting rid of Adobe and learning new editing software, but I've used it now for the last 10 years or so. But it seems it's that, or consider a more expensive, less expandable Precision because eventually Adobe will remove their 2021 version as an option.

The card in question is the K5100M. This was an amazing upgrade from the 6600 I wanted to upgrade the GPU on until I found this 6800 for just a little more than the card would have cost for the 6600. Current configuration of my 6800 has the 4900MQ 2.8 I7, 32GB RAM, the K5100M and every bay filled with HDs (including the DVDs replaced with a tray and small mSATA). Most of these drives I've just been transferring from one Precision to the next, if I didn't buy a larger one eventually. I've not really done any upgrades other than the HDs and a wifi card (although now thinking of the one mentioned earlier). It's taken just about everything I've thrown at it, even when it comes to games I play, like Borderlands, Gears of War, etc. Sure my friends Alienware desktop displays better graphics, but it's never stopped me from gaming...until the latest Tiny Tina Borderlands spinoff I got the other day and I have to run it at the lowest settings just to keep around 45 fps and not drop below 30. That's the second thought of why I'm wondering if it's time to watch for a deal on a newer unit, has it reached the end of it's gaming life for me too? I know the Quadro isn't a gaming card, but up until now, it hasn't seemed to matter.

Seeing the posts here it seems many have a good idea of upgrades that can be done to these machines beyond what most lists online show the machine is built for. I thought I'd join and follow this thread for "out of the box" options. I thought I was more or less maxed out until now. But is it worth looking into the P5000 card, faster RAM, and the i7-4940mx to let my machine serve a few more years better than most newer laptops could, or will Adobe still leave me with a more expensive modified brick when it comes to editing? I'll put a few hundred in this machine to make it better, versus that same money into a newer basic model of specs and then needing to slowly buy upgrades since it seems they are totally different inside, if even possible to upgrade the M7710-40.

Like the original poster, thoughts on maxing this out, which I love tinkering and doing, but will help me when it comes to editing or some of the newer games where even low settings now challenge my system?  Thanks for reading the long ramble of questions and concerned thoughts.

Mike

• Thumb Up 1

12 minutes ago, MRichartz said:

Like the original poster, thoughts on maxing this out, which I love tinkering and doing, but will help me when it comes to editing or some of the newer games where even low settings now challenge my system?  Thanks for reading the long ramble of questions and concerned thoughts.

First and foremost, it sounds like you need to upgrade the GPU.  Fortunately, Precision M6800 is pretty friendly for this.  The easiest upgrade is Quadro M5000M or GeForce 980M.  They are readily available on eBay and could offer around double performance compared to K5100M (and they are still getting driver updates from NVIDIA).

Gotchas:

• You have to cut off a bit of the NVIDIA GPU heatsink due to different VRM placement on the Maxwell GPU cards, compared to Kepler.
  • You have to perform a modification to the NVIDIA driver INF file in order to get it to install.  (This is true with pretty much any "unsupported" NVIDIA laptop GPU upgrade.)  This means doing something to get Windows to accept the driver with a digital signature that doesn't match (there are a few options to address this).

Quadro P4000 or P5000 will take you a bit further but they have the added wrinkle of a vBIOS flash being required and Optimus also being required at all times (unless you have an eDP display panel).  Also when I tried a P5000 in my M6700, I did get it working with the vBIOS flash, but I ended up with an unstable system (random BSOD once every few days) so I ended up getting rid of it and going back to M5000M.

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

7 minutes ago, Aaron44126 said:

First and foremost, it sounds like you need to upgrade the GPU.  Fortunately, Precision M6800 is pretty friendly for this.  The easiest upgrade is Quadro M5000M or GeForce 980M.  They are readily available on eBay and could offer around double performance compared to K5100M (and they are still getting driver updates from NVIDIA).

Gotchas:

• You have to cut off a bit of the NVIDIA GPU heatsink due to different VRM placement on the Maxwell GPU cards, compared to Kepler.
  • You have to perform a modification to the NVIDIA driver INF file in order to get it to install.  (This is true with pretty much any "unsupported" NVIDIA laptop GPU upgrade.)  This means doing something to get Windows to accept the driver with a digital signature that doesn't match (there are a few options to address this).

Quadro P4000 or P5000 will take you a bit further but they have the added wrinkle of a vBIOS flash being required and Optimus also being required at all times (unless you have an eDP display panel).  Also when I tried a P5000 in my M6700, I did get it working with the vBIOS flash, but I ended up with an unstable system (random BSOD once every few days) so I ended up getting rid of it and going back to M5000M.

What is the major difference between my GPU and the M5000M? Years ago, I was told it was RAM I needed on the card that helped to process, and why I was happy that I now had 8GB vs the 4GB I had before. But looking briefly at the specs, they have the same, only mine is DDR3 (Kepler card?) vs DDR5 (Maxwell?). Will that make a big difference? I also saw someplace reference to the eDP MBs and needing a matching screen then, which allowed more options and I think is what Adobe now looks for. Is there an easy way of knowing what my system has without pulling it apart and looking up the part numbers? I have CPU-Z to find out most of the system, but what designated that it's eDP?

14 hours ago, MRichartz said:

What is the major difference between my GPU and the M5000M? Years ago, I was told it was RAM I needed on the card that helped to process, and why I was happy that I now had 8GB vs the 4GB I had before. But looking briefly at the specs, they have the same, only mine is DDR3 (Kepler card?) vs DDR5 (Maxwell?). Will that make a big difference? I also saw someplace reference to the eDP MBs and needing a matching screen then, which allowed more options and I think is what Adobe now looks for. Is there an easy way of knowing what my system has without pulling it apart and looking up the part numbers? I have CPU-Z to find out most of the system, but what designated that it's eDP?

I have some benchmarks from when I first tried the M5000M, upgrading from K5000M.  Performance doubled (or more) in most cases.

https://www.nbrchive.net/forum.notebookreview.com/threads/precision-m6700-gpu-upgrade-k5000m-to-m5000m.807061/

To know if you have eDP, you basically need to find your display panel model (use MonInfo or HWiNFO64) and then look up the panel information online to see if it is eDP or LVDS.  I don't think Adobe products would care which type of panel you are using.

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

1 hour ago, Aaron44126 said:

I have some benchmarks from when I first tried the M5000M, upgrading from K5000M.  Performance doubled (or more) in most cases.

https://www.nbrchive.net/forum.notebookreview.com/threads/precision-m6700-gpu-upgrade-k5000m-to-m5000m.807061/

To know if you have eDP, you basically need to find your display panel model (use MonInfo or HWiNFO64) and then look up the panel information online to see if it is eDP or LVDS.  I don't think Adobe products would care which type of panel you are using.

I found your write up on that after I messaged here. Got a little lost later on on the various coding, but can probably decipher it when it's time, and probably will see noticeably where the heatsink would be an issue. Based on what you were saying there, it does sound like this might be the better option. I got one of the programs you suggested and ran it on my monitor, a LGD02DA (at least remotely as I login to my laptop from work), which looking that up is showing LVDS. There was some new card configuration that I remember reading last year was needed for Adobe to run properly and somewhere it said the 7710s on up had it. If it's the card, looking the M5000M up, I think I saw it was in the 7710, so this could solve that problem. I guess there is one way to find out...off to eBay.  🙂

Does this correct model number I would need for the card: Nvidia Quadro M5000M 8GB DDR5 256Bit Video Card 1JY2V Dell Precision 7710 7720

• 4 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, ColtC7 said:

Hello, would a GTX 970M with only 2 R22s instead of 3 work with the unmodified Nvidia heatsink?

s-l225.webp

Think you'll still have the issue.  Even though there are only two of those, they are in the "Maxwell positions" and not the "Kepler positions".  I have comparison photos here.  They just left off one that goes where that yellow sticker is.

The issue is going to be with the left-most R22 in this picture.  It is scooted too far to the center of the card (compared to Kepler) and will hit a protrusion from the heatsink.

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

4 minutes ago, ColtC7 said:

Well, that sucks, but will this sorta RTX 3000 work with the stock heatsink? I'm sure the bits are short enough to not hit any protruding bits on the heatsink.

Huh.  Never seen that one before.  I'm going to say it looks like it would "probably" work.  Might need some thicker thermal pads for those VRMs ("R15") so that they actually contact the heatsink.

Turing requires M6800 with eDP panel (not LVDS) or Optimus enabled at all times.

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

• 4 months later...

Hello there everyone!

It's been a while since the last post here. I feel really thankful with the people here because without your help I wouldn't have been able to move forward with the upgrade plans for my machine.

So this is what I have right now:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4910MQ

GPU: NVIDIA Quadro P4000

RAM: 16 Gb (8x2) HyperX DDR3L-2133

Display: LG 1920x1080 LVDS

Big upgrades where achieved!

I also want to share my experience with the Quadro P4000 on this machine... It actually works really well! Is an amazing GPU considering it is a Pascal gen.

To make this GPU work on this Precision M6800 a little of hard work was needed...

Things to consider:

1. An specific BIOS is needed for this GPU

2. Since this machine came with an AMD GPU in the first place, modding the heatsink was necessary but, if someone else find this useful, it is completely possible.

3. The thermal pads sizes are completely different from the stock ones.

• With the first point of that list I have to say a big thank you to the people who was able to get the BIOS for this card to work, if someone else wants to try a Quadro P4000 on a Precision M6800 you can find the bios on this link: 

And of course please say thank as well to the people who managed to get the files. With this post I want to say thanks once again to those people!

• The second point of that list wasn't so hard as I though, here a share with you some pictures of the heatsink before and after the mod: 

Before                                                                                                                                                                           After

As you may noticed a cut to the copper part of the the heatsink was needed here (red square) specifically it was an area of 3mm.

This was made with the help of a mini rotary tool and some hard work from my brother (thanks man!).

• The third point of the list was a bit tricky... To get correct size for the thermal pads a little try and failure was necessary, the method I used was to put some thermal paste on the GPU die and then put the the pads that may or may not be the correct for this card and heatsink. After a lot of hard work the correct sizes was something like this:

7.jpg

Why this sizes? Well that's because the AMD heatsink seems to be of a different height compared to NVIDIA one... And the GPU die was far taller than my previous FirePro M6100 so this was the sizes that worked for me. If someone else find a better sizes for this kind of project please make the corresponding corrections to this post.

The thermal pads you see in the picture are Gelid Ultimate.

The temps for this card where actually pretty interesting... HWinfo shows a maximum temp of 65.3 degrees and sometimes I was able to see a 68 degrees temp under high load (after gaming or rendering a video) and a maximum "GPU Hot Spot Temperature" of 76.3 degrees (don't kwon what this value refers to).

This are the results after a benchmark: 

2.png

1.png

Well this was my experience with this project, I'm really happy with this machine!

Almost forgot to mention that the drivers for this card where installed with the help of nvclean install tool with this settings (no need of disabling driver signature verification):

I hope that someone find this useful in the future.

Best regards to the community!

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1
  • Bump 2

19 hours ago, Jers6410 said:

Hello there everyone!

It's been a while since the last post here. I feel really thankful with the people here because without your help I wouldn't have been able to move forward with the upgrade plans for my machine.

I also want to share my experience with the Quadro P4000 on this machine... It actually works really well! Is an amazing GPU considering it is a Pascal gen.

To make this GPU work on this Precision M6800 a little of hard work was needed...

Things to consider:

2. Since this machine came with an AMD GPU in the first place, modding the heatsink was necessary but, if someone else find this useful, it is completely possible.

• With the first point of that list I have to say a big thank you to the people who was able to get the BIOS for this card to work, if someone else wants to try a Quadro P4000 on a Precision M6800 you can find the bios on this link: 

And of course please say thank as well to the people who managed to get the files. With this post I want to say thanks once again to those people!

• The second point of that list wasn't so hard as I though, here a share with you some pictures of the heatsink before and after the mod: 

Before                                                                                                                                                                           After

As you may noticed a cut to the copper part of the the heatsink was needed here (red square) specifically it was an area of 3mm.

This was made with the help of a mini rotary tool and some hard work from my brother (thanks man!).

• The third point of the list was a bit tricky... To get correct size for the thermal pads a little try and failure was necessary, the method I used was to put some thermal paste on the GPU die and then put the the pads that may or may not be the correct for this card and heatsink. After a lot of hard work the correct sizes was something like this:

7.jpg

Why this sizes? Well that's because the AMD heatsink seems to be of a different height compared to NVIDIA one... And the GPU die was far taller than my previous FirePro M6100 so this was the sizes that worked for me. If someone else find a better sizes for this kind of project please make the corresponding corrections to this post.

The temps for this card where actually pretty interesting... HWinfo shows a maximum temp of 65.3 degrees and sometimes I was able to see a 68 degrees temp under high load (after gaming or rendering a video) and a maximum "GPU Hot Spot Temperature" of 76.3 degrees (don't kwon what this value refers to).

2.png

1.png

Well this was my experience with this project, I'm really happy with this machine!

Almost forgot to mention that the drivers for this card where installed with the help of nvclean install tool with this settings (no need of disabling driver signature verification):

I hope that someone find this useful in the future.

Best regards to the community!

loving this, perfect example of what makes upgradeable laptops so awesome to work / play with! good job on the upgrades bud! 🙂 enjoy ur newly upgraded beast!

• Thumb Up 1

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

On 8/5/2022 at 3:59 PM, Aaron44126 said:

Huh.  Never seen that one before.  I'm going to say it looks like it would "probably" work.  Might need some thicker thermal pads for those VRMs ("R15") so that they actually contact the heatsink.

Turing requires M6800 with eDP panel (not LVDS) or Optimus enabled at all times.

Late correction but I believe that all Turing cards require Optimus even if you have an eDP panel, as this is the generation where the cards dropped eDP support

Dell Precision 7520: Intel Core i7-7920HQ, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro T1000 4GB, LG LP156QHG (240Hz QHD, 100% sRGB & P3, 400 nits), Intel AX210 WiFi 6E

Dell Precision M4800: Intel Core i7-4810MQ, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro M1200 4GB, Intel AX200 WiFi 6

ThinkPad T440p: Intel Core i7-4980HQ i5-4300M, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris Pro 5200 HD 4600, N140HCE-EN1 Rev.c2 (1080p)

ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 2Intel Core i5-4300U, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 4400, QHD

ThinkPad X230: Intel Core i5-3320M, 16GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 16:10 2K display

ASRock X570M Pro4: Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB, Corsair Crystal 280X, Xiaomi Mi Curved 34 + Acer Predator Z35

2 hours ago, M4980 said:

Late correction but I believe that all Turing cards require Optimus even if you have an eDP panel, as this is the generation where the cards dropped eDP support

This doesn’t make sense… eDP is still the standard used in modern/current laptops; all newer mobile GPUs support it.

…That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was something about the eDP implementation in Precision M4800/M6800 that they don’t like.

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

9 minutes ago, Aaron44126 said:

This doesn’t make sense… eDP is still the standard used in modern/current laptops; all newer mobile GPUs support it.

…That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was something about the eDP implementation in Precision M4800/M6800 that they don’t like.

Talking specifically about the MXM cards, check the Adlink T1000 datasheet for example

https://www.adlinktech.com/Products/Download.ashx?type=MDownload&isDatasheet=yes&file=1875\EGX-MXM-Turing_Series-datasheet-20220118.pdf

No eDP output listed which makes sense because the M4800 and 7520 both don't work in dGPU mode as per my testing

Dell Precision 7520: Intel Core i7-7920HQ, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro T1000 4GB, LG LP156QHG (240Hz QHD, 100% sRGB & P3, 400 nits), Intel AX210 WiFi 6E

Dell Precision M4800: Intel Core i7-4810MQ, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro M1200 4GB, Intel AX200 WiFi 6

ThinkPad T440p: Intel Core i7-4980HQ i5-4300M, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris Pro 5200 HD 4600, N140HCE-EN1 Rev.c2 (1080p)

ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 2Intel Core i5-4300U, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 4400, QHD

ThinkPad X230: Intel Core i5-3320M, 16GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 16:10 2K display

ASRock X570M Pro4: Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB, Corsair Crystal 280X, Xiaomi Mi Curved 34 + Acer Predator Z35

Didn't realize that we were looking at new MXM cards that don't support eDP at all.  Hmm.  Guessing these weren't really designed for laptops 😕

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2022 at 9:13 AM, Jers6410 said:

Xin chào tất cả mọi người!

Things to consider:

7.jpg

2.png

1.png

Chà, đây là trải nghiệm của tôi với dự án này, tôi thực sự hài lòng với chiếc máy này!

Gần như quên đề cập rằng trình điều khiển cho thẻ này được cài đặt với sự trợ giúp của công cụ cài đặt nvclean với cài đặt này (không cần tắt xác minh chữ ký trình điều khiển):

Tôi hy vọng rằng ai đó tìm thấy điều này hữu ích trong tương lai.

Kính gửi cộng đồng!

Hello. I followed the topic of upgrading VGA for Dell Precision M6800 and found that your share is very valuable to me. Excuse me:
- I am worried about how to flash VBIOS. Do you have a vbios flash?

On 7/7/2022 at 9:43 AM, Aaron44126 said:

I have been following your posts for a long time and I really admire your insights. Please help me answer a question.
I want to mount P4000 card on Dell M6800.

If I get a P4000 card from a Dell 7720... Do I need to flash the vBIOS?

Thank you.

13 minutes ago, chieukhanhok said:

If I get a P4000 card from a Dell 7720... Do I need to flash the vBIOS?

Yes, unless you plan to use Linux, you will need to flash the vBIOS for Quadro P3000/P4000/P5000 to avoid the ACPI BSOD when booting Windows.  (You can boot to Linux using a "live USB" environment to do the flash, Linux will not have trouble booting.)  Make sure that you have Optimus enabled if you have a LVDS display panel.

@TheQuentincc has a working vBIOS image here.

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

38 minutes ago, Aaron44126 said:

Yes, unless you plan to use Linux, you will need to flash the vBIOS for Quadro P3000/P4000/P5000 to avoid the ACPI BSOD when booting Windows.  (You can boot to Linux using a "live USB" environment to do the flash, Linux will not have trouble booting.)  Make sure that you have Optimus enabled if you have a LVDS display panel.

@TheQuentincc has a working vBIOS image here.

Your suggestion is very helpful to me.

I know into Linux from USB.

Could you please give me a tutorial on how to flash vBIOS with a P5000 or similar card...
Thank you very much ❤️

See:

https://www.nbrchive.net/forum.notebookreview.com/threads/graphics-card-upgrade-for-m6800.806352/page-17#post-10748094

(Sorry the pictures aren't working, but the needed commands are there.)

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi