NotebookTalk

Cleaning and reseating drives and ram, would that stop errors?

Kassowen

Typically when I install new drives and ram, I go out of my way to clean the surfaces of the connectors with iso-p alcohol, and this time around when I installed my all of these things, I did not. In a series of odd errors and system crashes, it seems as if it has been either this, or some issue with windows updates which if anyone has gotten the same please tell me. The general fix lately has been more recent updates when I am plugged in, and when I am on battery, to set some of the power saving features to be on balanced or moderate. Those being PCI-E E, and Igpu graphics. Essentially something about the deeper powersaving features has been causing Whea and a crashes where only holding the power button down gets one out of. It could also be that my laptop isnt binned well as far as CPU's go, and doing to much of an undervolt is causing this, however I seem to get it anyway from the max about about -.75mv to say 66mv, it will still happen anyway. Given the excess of  heat a samsung 980Pro makes, its possible that it is also demanding to much power unlike other nvme's, as this drive will routinely be hot, even if magician power saving and idle states are active.

Things I have done

-DDU of GPU and IGPU drivers

-Reverted back to OEM intel chipset driver

-No longer undervolting

-latest updates,

-New ram seems to cause less crashes, perhaps DIMM pins, and PCI slot pins need to be cleaned.

-Saying on Either IGPU mode or DGPU mode. Historically something about dynamic mux switches has made for rather glitchy performance.

5 hours ago, Kassowen said:

Typically when I install new drives and ram, I go out of my way to clean the surfaces of the connectors with iso-p alcohol, and this time around when I installed my all of these things, I did not. In a series of odd errors and system crashes, it seems as if it has been either this, or some issue with windows updates which if anyone has gotten the same please tell me. The general fix lately has been more recent updates when I am plugged in, and when I am on battery, to set some of the power saving features to be on balanced or moderate. Those being PCI-E E, and Igpu graphics. Essentially something about the deeper powersaving features has been causing Whea and a crashes where only holding the power button down gets one out of. It could also be that my laptop isnt binned well as far as CPU's go, and doing to much of an undervolt is causing this, however I seem to get it anyway from the max about about -.75mv to say 66mv, it will still happen anyway. Given the excess of  heat a samsung 980Pro makes, its possible that it is also demanding to much power unlike other nvme's, as this drive will routinely be hot, even if magician power saving and idle states are active.

Things I have done

-DDU of GPU and IGPU drivers

-Reverted back to OEM intel chipset driver

-No longer undervolting

-latest updates,

-New ram seems to cause less crashes, perhaps DIMM pins, and PCI slot pins need to be cleaned.

-Saying on Either IGPU mode or DGPU mode. Historically something about dynamic mux switches has made for rather glitchy performance.

You didn't list what OS you use. But the last two months patches from Microsoft have been a huge mess. Read more about it in the Win OS section. My best bet... This comes from Windows buggy patches. 

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

On 5/15/2022 at 8:32 PM, Papusan said:

You didn't list what OS you use. But the last two months patches from Microsoft have been a huge mess. Read more about it in the Win OS section. My best bet... This comes from Windows buggy patches. 

Ya oops, I should have said its win10, which I also assumed most people here just use given the issues with 11. I have avoided W11 out of reasons like this, however it seems as though I have also gotten this in windows 10 updates, however newer updates have seemed to have patched it so far.

I am wanting to ask, can one go from Windows 10 to enterprise via just a key change, or do I need to do a total system reinstallation? I mainly got windows 10 pro because I do not run a server and the keys are cheap, however given the performance and stability benefits, it might be wise to switch. This said, back in the old Notebook review forum, there was a few threads dedicated to optimizing windows, is there anything like that here by chance? I remember a program called donotspy which seemed to do most of the tricks.

• Thumb Up 1

15 hours ago, Kassowen said:

Ya oops, I should have said its win10, which I also assumed most people here just use given the issues with 11. I have avoided W11 out of reasons like this, however it seems as though I have also gotten this in windows 10 updates, however newer updates have seemed to have patched it so far.

I am wanting to ask, can one go from Windows 10 to enterprise via just a key change, or do I need to do a total system reinstallation? I mainly got windows 10 pro because I do not run a server and the keys are cheap, however given the performance and stability benefits, it might be wise to switch. This said, back in the old Notebook review forum, there was a few threads dedicated to optimizing windows, is there anything like that here by chance? I remember a program called donotspy which seemed to do most of the tricks.

Hi. Nope, you'll need to do a clean Windows install. Always do that regardless of version you have.

Here's the Win 10 Tweak library from old NBR. Links go to Tech target but many of the tweaks is shown "How to" in the different posts + you can google the tweaks.

I use... Win 10 Ent 2019 LTSC and Win 10 Ent 2021 LTSC in dual boot. Those Windows versions comes with less bloat.

Then I use the software below. I never follow Microsoft own patch update schedule. I update when I see the need and when I know the patches is safe to install. And I update Win update patches that I myself have downloaded and only when I have disconnected the network. Proper links to threads below.
WUB - Windows Update Blocker v1.7 
O&O Shutup - O&O SHUTUP10 v1.9.1429
WPD - WPD v1.5 RC1

All about Windows 10 (LTSC included) news and announcements

By Papusan, March 1

All about Windows 11 news and announcements

Here's also a tool for Windows 10 tweaks from Chris Titus. His debloater script tool is brand new and updated and may have some bugs in the beginning. A good tool as well.

And follow the OS forum section. Always updated with new info about Windows and Microsoft stupidity.... Windows

Good luck brother, whatever you want to try🙂

• Like 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel