NotebookTalk

Issue with Area 51m R2 Display. Help with diagnosis.

I'm getting an issue which started a few weeks back where i have 3 horizontal black lines across the bottom of the display. It's not an issue with the graphics card since they don't display on an external monitor only on the internal display.  I also rolled back graphics drivers versions to a version 2-3 months ago to make sure and the issue still occurred.

I was working around the issue as i could drop the display from it's native 1920x1080 300hz to 60hz and the lines would disappear. I can then set back to 300hz and all would be fine again. That stopped working recently and i've now had to create a profile for 30hz and set it to that and back to 300hz for them to disappear.

Anyone ever come across something like this before? My first thought was a the panel is faulty but it seemingly does work at 300hz if i do the trick mentioned above.

If anyone wants/needs pictures i'll get them uploaded.

PXL_20220518_181100989.jpg

Edited by ratchetnclank
Added photo

On 5/18/2022 at 6:30 PM, ratchetnclank said:

I'm getting an issue which started a few weeks back where i have 3 horizontal black lines across the bottom of the display. It's not an issue with the graphics card since they don't display on an external monitor only on the internal display.  I also rolled back graphics drivers versions to a version 2-3 months ago to make sure and the issue still occurred.

I was working around the issue as i could drop the display from it's native 1920x1080 300hz to 60hz and the lines would disappear. I can then set back to 300hz and all would be fine again. That stopped working recently and i've now had to create a profile for 30hz and set it to that and back to 300hz for them to disappear.

Anyone ever come across something like this before? My first thought was a the panel is faulty but it seemingly does work at 300hz if i do the trick mentioned above.

If anyone wants/needs pictures i'll get them uploaded.

PXL_20220518_181100989.jpg

hmmm....two tests u should do: 

1) do those black lines still show up when u boot into safe mode? i.e. without gpu driver or other software interfering?

2) seems like u only jumped between 30/60 and 300Hz. what happens if u go to, say, 240Hz? 120? 144? i.e. in between steps

how old is your machine? might be the display cable (connection to the mobo) thats slowly giving out on you (not being able to provide sufficient bandwidth at 300 Hz anymore, thus the above suggestion with dialing it back just a tad, not necessarily down to 60 Hz....)

• Thanks 1

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

21 hours ago, jaybee83 said:

hmmm....two tests u should do: 

1) do those black lines still show up when u boot into safe mode? i.e. without gpu driver or other software interfering?

2) seems like u only jumped between 30/60 and 300Hz. what happens if u go to, say, 240Hz? 120? 144? i.e. in between steps

how old is your machine? might be the display cable (connection to the mobo) thats slowly giving out on you (not being able to provide sufficient bandwidth at 300 Hz anymore, thus the above suggestion with dialing it back just a tad, not necessarily down to 60 Hz....)

Hey thanks for the reply.

1) It shows even in BIOS,Safe mode and windows recovery screens. So definitely something with the hardware.

2) 120hz, 240hz and anything inbetween and the lines remain.

I've also tried reseating the power cable for the display but the issue remains. I think you could be right about the cable but it is odd that switching to a low refresh and back makes it work. I think i'm going to have to bite the bullet and try and source a new display panel.

1 hour ago, ratchetnclank said:

Hey thanks for the reply.

1) It shows even in BIOS,Safe mode and windows recovery screens. So definitely something with the hardware.

2) 120hz, 240hz and anything inbetween and the lines remain.

I've also tried reseating the power cable for the display but the issue remains. I think you could be right about the cable but it is odd that switching to a low refresh and back makes it work. I think i'm going to have to bite the bullet and try and source a new display panel.

yep, could be an intermittent issue, i.e. the display connector cable is moving towards failure but hasnt quite bit the bullet yet. if i were u i would indeed be on the lookout for a replacement unit before the display completely gives out on you.

• Thumb Up 1

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!