NotebookTalk

MSI GE77

DukeCLR

On 7/11/2022 at 7:36 PM, DukeCLR said:

I found this in the hidden BIOS. 

Yhk8NIj.jpg

I see you found it 🙂

I would probably start tinkering in Throttlestop or XTU to find the appropriate settings if that is possible.

That is easier than having to go back to the bios multiple times.

@electrosoft has tweaked his GL66 so he may be able to give some pointers but in general I would expect for the CB23 number to go up during the run and you should be able to hit at least 21K if not more.

Have you checked how much sustained power draw you can manage and how the temps change?

As for Time Spy you will have to mostly tweak the GPU settings for that and that will mostly have to be MSI Afterburner if I am not mistaken but maybe there are also settings in the overclocking menu that you can use for the GPU; no idea.

When I did some Time Spy runs I noticed that temps always were an issue as the Nvidia likes to start throtteling and very low temperatures compared to CPUs so you may get good results massaging your Afterburner curve. I think I was able to go from something like 8200 to 9600 on the RTX 3060 when I played around with it with no other changes made.

• Thumb Up 1

I appreciate the replies, I'm still learning on how these laptop balance everything. 

Unfortunately XTU and Throtlestop don't won't allow me to make changes, I wonder if it's because it's a new CPU.  I still need to figure out what to tweak other then the core voltage. 

I just tested the system by running Cinebench while running Furmark,  the MSI AB graphs show the voltage was pretty steady as well as the temps.  It's all power limited from what I can see.  I'm going to collect data while playing a few rounds of BF 2042 and see what the results are.

drVtLnY.png

• 3 weeks later...

I think your missing link may be that after you enable the Overclocking Feature, there is one more place you need to go with the bios unlocked. Go to Advanced - Power and Performance - CPU Power Management Control - View/Configure CPU Lock Options.

Then set both CFG Lock and Overclocking Lock to Disabled. I had to do that on my GE67HX to get Throttlestop to allow the voltage changes and whatnot.

IMG_7565.jpg

• Thumb Up 2

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero || Ryzen 9 5950x || nVidia RTX 3090 FE || 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz || Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB M.2 + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB M.2

MSI GE67HX 12UHS-069 || i9 12900HX || nVidia RTX 3080 Ti || 15.6" 2560x1440 OLED 240Hz || 32GB DDR5 4800Mhz || Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 + Samsung 980 Pro 2TB M.2

Thanks, as soon as I get a chance I will give it a go.  My stepdaughter is getting married in Sept so my tinkering time is limited.  I do have a bunch of thermal paste and some Honeywell fabric to try if needed. 

Thanks again!!

• 1 month later...