NotebookTalk

MSI GE77

DukeCLR

On 6/22/2022 at 9:45 PM, DukeCLR said:

I just ordered a GE 77 from GentechPC,  I went with the 12800HX and the 3070Ti.  I have had descent luck with my last two MSI machines which had second tier GPUs.   I'll be sure to test it out and post the results.

https://www.gentechpc.com/product-p/msi-raider-ge77hx-12ugs-004.htm

Looks good and definitely the sweet spot for the GE77 - QHD and the 3070 Ti should work very well.

You also save almost 600 compared to the GT77 although that is mainly due to the GT77 having 32GB DDR5 and the more expensive UHD panel:

https://www.gentechpc.com/product-p/msi-titan-gt77-12ugs-009.htm

• Thumb Up 1

I remember that the GT77 was too deep for you and luckily you do not really need what it brings to the table over the GE77.

The GE77 should be a lot faster than your GT73 although I predict that it will not be very quiet 😁

Lol, currently I have to run my fans at max to keep the machine from throttling so it has set the noise bar.  I really should re paste this thing.  I use a set of Sure earbuds that block out a lot of sound which helps out.

The CPU has an metalpad which will be damaged when you remove it so take care of it because it have some burn in time as well.

I have an GE76 here and this lady is compare to my GT73 and GT75VR 7RF quiet :D.

Currently i'm waiting for a GE77  or a GE67 for a got price.

I need something as replacement when i do my RAM OC on my Gaming RIG 😁

• Thumb Up 1

cheerio

jp

1. Desktop Gaming RIG | i7 13700KF | MSI MEGZ690 Unify | F5-6400 CL32 not testet yet  | M.2_1 SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 1TB | MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X Trio white Edition | Lian Li O11D XL with 10 Fan setup | 3 bottom (in-take) | 3 top (in-take) | 3 side (out-take | 1 back (out.take)
2. Mobile Gaming | Raider GE78HX 13VI

3. MSI GS63VR 6RF Stealth
4. MSI GE73VR 7RF Raider with 4K Screen

R.I.P GE76 Raider 11UH-208 UK with BOE CQ NE173QHM-NZ1 WQHD 240Hz

I'm not sure if the 12800HX has a metal pad, I thought that was reserved for the 12900HX,  I plan on running it for a week with everything stock then I if I decide to re paste then I will take your advise.  Heck I may want to remove it just to see what's under the hood.  Believe it or not I never re pasted my GT73, I kind of want to try it to see what it look like after 6 years.

1 hour ago, DukeCLR said:

I'm not sure if the 12800HX has a metal pad, I thought that was reserved for the 12900HX,  I plan on running it for a week with everything stock then I if I decide to re paste then I will take your advise.  Heck I may want to remove it just to see what's under the hood.  Believe it or not I never re pasted my GT73, I kind of want to try it to see what it look like after 6 years.

Give your lady some sweet new paste and enjoy it after 6 years of doing nothing 😈

cheerio

jp

1. Desktop Gaming RIG | i7 13700KF | MSI MEGZ690 Unify | F5-6400 CL32 not testet yet  | M.2_1 SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 1TB | MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X Trio white Edition | Lian Li O11D XL with 10 Fan setup | 3 bottom (in-take) | 3 top (in-take) | 3 side (out-take | 1 back (out.take)

2 minutes ago, JeanLegi said:

Give your lady some sweet new paste and enjoy it after 6 years of doing nothing 😈

Lol, I think the new lady will be getting all of my attention when I get it on Thursday.

49 minutes ago, DukeCLR said:

Lol, I think the new lady will be getting all of my attention when I get it on Thursday.

Be Human Mental Health GIF by INTO ACTION

😁

All the best with the new one 🙂

cheerio

jp

4 hours ago, DukeCLR said:

This is a good question. For the GE76 12th Gen the 12700H definitely was paste and the 12900HK definitely was a phase change pad. The pad though was not a guarantee of good thermals. There is still a chance that the factory can botch up the application and you would have 15-20C core temp differentials leading to reduced performance and more noise. So I would probably have GentechPC verify how the stock pad/paste is performing then repaste if necessary before shipping.

• Thumb Up 1

Clevo X170SM - 10900K, 32GB DDR4-2933 CL17, 4TB WD SN850X, RTX 3080 mobile, 17.3 inch FHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Clevo X370SNW - 13900HX, 64GB DDR5-5600 CL40, 4TB Samsung 990 Pro, RTX 4090 mobile, 17.3 inch UHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

56 minutes ago, win32asmguy said:

This is a good question. For the GE76 12th Gen the 12700H definitely was paste and the 12900HK definitely was a phase change pad. The pad though was not a guarantee of good thermals. There is still a chance that the factory can botch up the application and you would have 15-20C core temp differentials leading to reduced performance and more noise. So I would probably have GentechPC verify how the stock pad/paste is performing then repaste if necessary before shipping.

It's already shipped out, I will check out and post all the info,  HHmonitor will be on of the first things I install.  I will also be pulling the back off to install a second SSD and new RAM so I might check out the paste job.

My new GE77 arrived late last night, I haven't had much time to get into it but I was able to run Cinebench two times, once out of the box the second time after installing MSI Center and selecting performance.  The score was worse with the software installed.  Both times P core 7 hit 96 which led to throttling.  I have never used Cinebench before so I don't really know what these numbers mean.

ET83ICl.png

sWRiJHW.png

• Thumb Up 2

I was going to install a second SSD but I don't have any thermal pads, my GT 73 had some stuck into the blank space.  I also have new RAM coming from Newegg today, it looks like there is an aluminum cover over the RAM.  I'm hesitant to just pull it off and I'll send an email to Gentech for advice.  I also see that the paste job looks a bit messy.   

aTz53XT.jpg

JYNIH9N.jpg

Great information! The K5 Pro they use on the GPU memory and VRM's is fine. The core temp differences are not too bad, 86-96. I am unsure if some of that is just the odd positioned mounting posts, or if they used paste or a phase change pad on this model.

Clevo X170SM - 10900K, 32GB DDR4-2933 CL17, 4TB WD SN850X, RTX 3080 mobile, 17.3 inch FHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Clevo X370SNW - 13900HX, 64GB DDR5-5600 CL40, 4TB Samsung 990 Pro, RTX 4090 mobile, 17.3 inch UHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

4 minutes ago, DukeCLR said:

I'm afraid to remove it to check without having a bunch of paste to reapply afterward.  My first task is to figure out how to remove the heat sink over the RAM so I can put the new sticks in.

Yeah, no harm in waiting, especially if you don't already have something good to repaste with. Would you swap the K5 Pro with regular thermal pads if you repaste? GentechPC may be able to provide pad height measurements for it as they should have already documented it for their own repaste/repad service. I have heard K5 Pro can be better though because it does not impede heatsink pressure on the CPU/GPU die. Definitely can be messy to work with, but it is not electrically conductive so even if it looks bad it should be ok.

For the metal cover on the memory I would use a plastic spudger to pop it off. Look at a video for a Legion 5 Pro 2021 memory swap as it has the same kind of cover.

• Thumb Up 1

2 hours ago, win32asmguy said:

Yeah, no harm in waiting, especially if you don't already have something good to repaste with. Would you swap the K5 Pro with regular thermal pads if you repaste? GentechPC may be able to provide pad height measurements for it as they should have already documented it for their own repaste/repad service. I have heard K5 Pro can be better though because it does not impede heatsink pressure on the CPU/GPU die. Definitely can be messy to work with, but it is not electrically conductive so even if it looks bad it should be ok.

For the metal cover on the memory I would use a plastic spudger to pop it off. Look at a video for a Legion 5 Pro 2021 memory swap as it has the same kind of cover.

That was a helpful video you referenced,  I got a reply from GentechPC and I was just able to pull it off with a suction cup and plastic pry tool.  I found some extra thermal pads In my Z590 MB box and was able to install the second SSD, I will get the RAM kit in the mail this evening and should have it installed.  The new RAM https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-262-pin-ddr5-so-dimm/p/N82E16820374388?Item=N82E16820374388

Here is a picture of the stock RAM.

wdg6J3t.jpg

28 minutes ago, DukeCLR said:

That was a helpful video you referenced,  I got a reply from GentechPC and I was just able to pull it off with a suction cup and plastic pry tool.  I found some extra thermal pads In my Z590 MB box and was able to install the second SSD, I will get the RAM kit in the mail this evening and should have it installed.  The new RAM https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-262-pin-ddr5-so-dimm/p/N82E16820374388?Item=N82E16820374388

Here is a picture of the stock RAM.

Interesting. That kit appears to have better timings than others I have seen. AIDA64 has a memory benchmark if you are looking to compare before/after results.

• Thumb Up 1

Good info @DukeCLR, how are the noise levels?

Good choice going up to 32GB which I consider the bare minimum today if you want some headroom in your system.

Apart from that you may want to consider to max out your GE77 with bios settings, MSI Afterburner, Throttlestop etc. before you do any repasting and the like.

It will give you a good baseline of what can be achieved with software alone and I doubt that you Time Spy score cannot be improved without any repasting as I have seen quite a bit higher from several GE76 with the 3070 Ti.

• Thumb Up 1

1 hour ago, 1610ftw said:

Good info @DukeCLR, how are the noise levels?

Good choice going up to 32GB which I consider the bare minimum today if you want some headroom in your system.

Apart from that you may want to consider to max out your GE77 with bios settings, MSI Afterburner, Throttlestop etc. before you do any repasting and the like.

It will give you a good baseline of what can be achieved with software alone and I doubt that you Time Spy score cannot be improved without any repasting as I have seen quite a bit higher from several GE76 with the 3070 Ti.

The noise is a bit higher in pitch but not as loud as my GT73.

I'm going to try Timespy with HW monitor on to see whats going on, I'm new to Alder Lake so I'm unsure what to tweak at this point.  I have a lot of reading to do.

I went into the BIOS to see if there were memory settings but I didn't see any.  I did install the new kit, here are before and after ADIA64 benchmarks.

i7286E2.png

ZTpycr1.png

Good to hear about the noise and it looks like your memory read speed and latency have improved so that's a good start!

You may want to try and download Throttlestop to check out the power consumption of your CPU and when it throttles.

Hope you can get away with some meaningful undervolting without affecting stability.

I am pretty sure you should be able to undervolt and adjust speed for different core numbers in that secret MSI menu. Not sure if that is possible in Throttlestop but it would be nice for testing as with the MSI solution you always have to go into the bios for adjustments. 

I ran another Timespy and got 12180,  HW Monitor showed P core #7 causing a throttle, I think the first thing I will try is to lower the voltage for that core.  I'm still trying to figure out what all the different terms are, lol.