NotebookTalk

Thinkpad P16 Gen 1

win32asmguy

4 hours ago, TwistedAndy said:

Offsets are the same on Dell either. What happens when you try to disable those locks using commands like

setup_var CpuSetup 0x43 0x0
setup_var CpuSetup 0x10E 0x0

?

Do you get an error? Or the offsets are simply not saved?

Those are the exact directions I followed. It is not that the offsets are not saved, but that they cannot even be written. The setup_var command fails to even write the new values.

On 1/12/2023 at 9:57 PM, Plextor said:

Was repasting hard to do?

What LM did you use? did you take pictures during repaste?

I used conductonaut and repasting was not so hard. 

I also applied LM on gpu and now idle temp is around 38-40C.

300W power brick doesn’t change performance. Lenovo Vantage shows that 255W AC is attached even though 300W is attached. So maybe p16 doesn’t use more than 255W.

On 2/2/2023 at 2:56 AM, Halaster said:

Those are the exact directions I followed. It is not that the offsets are not saved, but that they cannot even be written. The setup_var command fails to even write the new values.

I tried to unlock cfg too but looks like bios is write protected…

(same error as this post : https://github.com/datasone/grub-mod-setup_var/issues/4)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2023 at 1:30 AM, japiyapi said:

I used conductonaut and repasting was not so hard. 

I also applied LM on gpu and now idle temp is around 38-40C.

300W power brick doesn’t change performance. Lenovo Vantage shows that 255W AC is attached even though 300W is attached. So maybe p16 doesn’t use more than 255W.

I tried to unlock cfg too but looks like bios is write protected…

(same error as this post : https://github.com/datasone/grub-mod-setup_var/issues/4)

Thanks for the info... I would like to do it but I'm afraid to mess up...Is it only unsrewing the heatsink to remove it? (was this simple to do). I don't want to void warranty....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2023 at 8:48 AM, alon said:

Any recommendations for a docking station to my P16 (i-9 + Intel Arc)? 

I would like to be able to connect a network cable, monitor and power(!)

Thanks

Has there been an update that enables Type-C power delivery on this laptop? Despite the spec sheet saying PD 3.0 is supported, folks who own the unit say that it doesn't work.

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

• 2 months later...

I've been working on using a USB BIOS flasher to unlock unvolting/overclocking but so far no progress on that. I also haven't haven't been able to to get PD working. It's very disappointing as I want to love this laptop. 

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have the P16 gen1 as a work laptop. I use it for 3d scanning and cad work. My work often requires me to scan mining vehicles in remote locations. Power supply has been an issue.

My old Asus laptop would accept usb-c power banks and I could scan for a few hours.

At the moment I use the std power supply plugged in to an inverter powered by a 36V (2Ahr battery for carry-on requirement). The battery lasts about 30min, I have 5. It's a real pain to fly with.

Has anyone had any success with getting a usb-c power bank to work?

I've tried my 20v 5A both in the usb-c port on a usb-c to modified(internal resistor upspec'd) square pin. No luck.

• 1 month later...

P16 Gen 2 is out now, FYI.

Lenovo ThinkPad P16 Gen 2 (16″ Intel) | Power-packed mobile workstation | Lenovo US

GPUs top out at 115W according to the PSREF. Lenovo is also claiming that the Type-C and Thunderbolt ports support PD3.0.

ThinkPad_P16_Gen_2_Spec.pdf (lenovo.com)

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

• 6 months later...

Anyone running Linux on this one or gen2? Any issues with compatibility, drivers, etc?

GitHub

Currently and formerly owned laptops (specs below):

Serenity                    -> Dell Precision 5560
N-1                             -> Dell Precision 5560 (my lady's)

Razor Crest              -> Lenovo ThinkPad P16 (work)
Millenium Falcon    -> Dell Precision 5530 (work)
Axiom                        -> Lenovo ThinkPad P52 (work)
Moldy Crow             -> Dell XPS 15 9550

Spoiler

Senenity / N-1: Dell Precision 5560
    i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

Millenium Falcon: Dell Precision 5530
    i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz