NotebookTalk

P650HS-G WWAN

L00K3R4

Reddit is a bit slow these days, notebookreview is gone... Hope you guys can help me ou!

My Clevo P650HS-G (i7 7700HQ, GTX1070-Ti) has the option to add a 3G LTE m.2 module. Everything is already pre-installed so it is just a matter of adding a module.

1. If I would insert a 4G or 5G module would that also be compatible with my laptop or would this cause problems with i.e. the antennas?

2. When searching for a 3G/4G module, I noticed that a lot of them are advertised as "only compatible with [Dell, Asus etc.]", is there a compatibility list for WWAN modules for Clevo laptops? Can't find it in the user/service manual, Clevo website is ofc not helpful either...

Thanks!

---Update---

Forget the whitelist... The correct module is: LTE/HSDPA+ 4G Huawei ME936, other modules may not work as they cannot be connected with the antennas!

Laptop: Clevo P650HS-G | CPU: i7-7700HQ | GPU: GTX1070-Ti 8GB | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SODIMM 32GB 2400Mhz | Storage: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SSD M.2 and 2x Crucial MX500 2TB SSD 2,5" | Kb: Thai-English

PC: currently having a  near death experience...

1 hour ago, L00K3R4 said:

Reddit is a bit slow these days, notebookreview is gone... Hope you guys can help me ou!

My Clevo P650HS-G (i7 7700HQ, GTX1070-Ti) has the option to add a 3G LTE m.2 module. Everything is already pre-installed so it is just a matter of adding a module.

1. If I would insert a 4G or 5G module would that also be compatible with my laptop or would this cause problems with i.e. the antennas?

2. When searching for a 3G/4G module, I noticed that a lot of them are advertised as "only compatible with [Dell, Asus etc.]", is there a compatibility list for WWAN modules for Clevo laptops? Can't find it in the user/service manual, Clevo website is ofc not helpful either...

Thanks!

I think compatibility is FCC related.

All devices that are delivered with 3/4/5 G capabilities need to go through the FCC's approval in the combination of WWAN card + device. For this reason, most laptops that come preinstalled with WWAN cards have a white list in the BIOS that only allows them to use a few, specific WWAN cards, the ones that were approved by the FCC in combination with that laptop model.

Now, as far as I know, Clevo has no white list for its WWAN cards, so in theory any WWAN card should work just fine. Also, they never sold the P650HS with a WWAN card in the US, so they never had to go through the FCC for 4/5G approval and thus also need not implement a white list system for the WWAN cards. My guess is that would should be able to put any WWAN card inside that laptop.

Clevo P177SMA| i7-4940MX@4.10GHz | Nvidia Quadro P4200 | 32GB DDR3 1600 MHz | 17.3" LED TN 1920x1080 | 3TB SSDs | Windows 10 Pro | 5241 TimeSpy