NotebookTalk

HP ZBook Fury G9/G10 (16") General Thread

Easa

Things are looking better,went through the pipeline with most of the troublemakers.Far from perfect,drops now and then but better nonetheless.

It has nothing to do with the processor(disabled and then enabled again the SpeedStep and C1E just to make sure),got the most reliable driver from the NVidia site,tweaked different settings.

It is not an issue rendering out the songs in 24bit 48000Hz,what is an issue is that i want to render it out through my SSL bus compressor(analog compressor to glue the tracks).Once i play the whole song and printing it out of the compressor there is always 1-2 drops in 4 minutes).I can live with that while doing the mixing but definitely in search of improving the drivers mess to a point where it works relatively flawless.

Yeah,set the card in "prefer maximum performance"mode.

After the changes the external EIZO moitor,bravelly hanging out at 18017 hours of usage time as of now,doesn't seen to cause as much damage according to Latency Mon.

So yeah,not perfect but i am taking it easy now,unwilling to spend another night in the Windows sound maze of utter confusion.

Take Care All

• Thumb Up 2
  • Bump 1

I should have mentioned my overall impression with the G10 Fury aside of my struggle with the sound drivers stuff.

Having it for more than a month,up until now i haven't noticed CPU(i9) throttling.I have been rendering out 3D scenes as well as pretty heavy music stuff with multiple plugin instances-no problemo with those.

Temperature wise it has reached 90 degrees a few times but performance didn't seem to have been affected.Fans could get a bit louder on full load while rendering but i have never been bothered by those in general.I am using it in High Performance Mode all the time and with normal load it never reaches more than 68 degrees with multiple tabs and a couple of programs open(but that is to be expected from such machine).

The video card ATA3500 seems to be holding its ground.It is a middle class card so i am not expecting miracles,but for normal 3d scenes and editing it does its job pretty well.

The keyboard is a joy to use-definitely the best one i have ever tried.The pad is also of high quality and very responsive.
I need to point out that most of the time i use it with an external monitor and external mouse and keyboard and i am also not that pretentious when it comes to keyboards.

It came with a full array of Wolf Security features.At first i thought it might just be more bloatware but left it there out of sheer curiosity.I suppose it does what it does but haven't seen intrusion with my everyday use so far.

The display(Dream Color 4K),is pretty accurate and of high quality.I have been using some of the best in the market for more than 15 years and this one is really there at the top.The matte finish is a plus for me.

I suppose these things could be said for most high end mobile workstations cause they share essentially the same components.

Was a devoted DELL Precision user but got this one with decent discount and decided to switch.

If i could sort out the sound stuff,i be even happier  🙂

Take care all

• Thumb Up 3

Hi all,

So as per my earlier post I got the Fury 16 G9 with i7-12800hx and A2000. I've been using it daily for 2 months now and I'm quite happy with its performance.

Recently however I noticed something strange. The cpu spikes up to 96-100C and throttles while rendering 3D scenes. This was definitely not happening before. When I first got it, temps used to stay below 89C, no throttling.

Anyone have similar issues?

Hi GK,

rendered a few shots in Nuke during the weekend while monitoring the temperature.CPU spiked around 90-92C.

I do not think it is extremely uncommon to have spikes around the 90C while rendering full CG or shot scenes.

How many frames did you render?Do you use other programs while rendering?Usually when i render longer shots(400-500)frames,it does go up to 90 something but i have never hit the 100C mark.

It's a good idea to monitor the temp next few times while rendering to see if that occurs frequently.I wouldn't worry if it spikes around 90C,but having it around 100C on regular basis might indicate issues.

Don't get paranoid,monitor and see how it goes next few times you render 🙂

Hi BC,

Thanks for checking with your system, I appreciate that. Which CPU and GPU do you have?

For consistency and comparability, I ran Cinebench R23 multi core and got a consistent 99-100C across the 8 p-cores. Temps stayed high for the full 50 seconds or so that it ran, then went back down to the 32-36C range at idle.

To troubleshoot, I reset BIOS and used HP Sure Recover to reset Windows and drivers to factory defaults. This had no effect, so software is ruled out, except possibly the firmware.

Interestingly, the GPU performance has remained as it was when I first started using it 2 months ago. Also, HP hardware diagnostics CPU test gives a pass and I'm not experiencing crashes or hangs.

Looks like I've got a real mystery on my hands here.

(Someone on a different forum suggested the thermal paste could be re-applied to rule out another possible cause but that's really time consuming and I would rather keep it as a last resort.)

Hi GK,

CPU i9 13950HX and ATA 3500.

I am using it in High Performance Mode and while idle,CPU is 57-60C.

Once i noticed this i went through some other forums and threads cause i was curious if the i9 runs hotter by design.
Mentioning this cause in more than one occasion with the latest i7 and i9 processors some users had high temp right of the bat-playing video games reaching 100C,thermal shutdowns etc.

Few guys with HP's with the 13th gen Intel processors reported that after changing the thermal paste the CPU temp dropped like 10-15C.This i find annoying cause that's basically a brand new machine and i have to change the thermal paste??Plus if doing so i don't know if that might void the warranty.

Now my idle temps are in the upper normal limits,goes lower once in Balanced Mode.Thinking maybe it is not a bad idea to extend the warranty just for a peace of mind.

On 10/24/2023 at 9:41 AM, TheGentleKlingon said:

Hi BC,

Thanks for checking with your system, I appreciate that. Which CPU and GPU do you have?

For consistency and comparability, I ran Cinebench R23 multi core and got a consistent 99-100C across the 8 p-cores. Temps stayed high for the full 50 seconds or so that it ran, then went back down to the 32-36C range at idle.

To troubleshoot, I reset BIOS and used HP Sure Recover to reset Windows and drivers to factory defaults. This had no effect, so software is ruled out, except possibly the firmware.

Interestingly, the GPU performance has remained as it was when I first started using it 2 months ago. Also, HP hardware diagnostics CPU test gives a pass and I'm not experiencing crashes or hangs.

Looks like I've got a real mystery on my hands here.

(Someone on a different forum suggested the thermal paste could be re-applied to rule out another possible cause but that's really time consuming and I would rather keep it as a last resort.)

Switch to PTM7950 - extremely easy to apply and very durable. You can look it up on youtube where there is a bunch of videos about applying it. You want to check with HP but I strongly doubt they would object to a repaste given the deterioration in temps that you are seeing.

Hi BC,

Okay so with that GPU yours has a vapor chamber cooler while mine has heat pipes. Vapor chamber is supposed to provide better cooling, for what it's worth. I keep mine on the "HP Optimized" power setting, but changing to the default "Balanced" doesn't seem to make any difference.

Anyway, yeah, it seems I might have to try changing the thermal paste. I don't think it voids the warranty but I'll do some checking first. This model comes with a 3-year warranty, do you mean to say you would consider extending that further?

3 minutes ago, 1610ftw said:

Switch to PTM7950 - extremely easy to apply and very durable. You can look it up on youtube where there is a bunch of videos about applying it. You want to check with HP but I strongly doubt they would object to a repaste given the deterioration in temps that you are seeing.

This seems to be the way to go. Yeah I don't think they would object to a re-paste, especially if I'm doing it myself and saving them the time and money eh? It's just disappointing to have to do this with a brand new unit, but it looks like this is happening more and more often these days.

It is indeed disappointing to have to change the thermal paste to a brand new machine.I think of changing mine s well since it won't void the warranty.60C in idle seems a bit much to me and i am curious in the new paste will change the temperature.

Yes,i am considering extending the warranty beyond the 3 years already provided.

23 hours ago, TheGentleKlingon said:

This seems to be the way to go. Yeah I don't think they would object to a re-paste, especially if I'm doing it myself and saving them the time and money eh? It's just disappointing to have to do this with a brand new unit, but it looks like this is happening more and more often these days.

I do not think that thermal paste application has gone down it is just that the application has to be better these days as the new Intel CPUs consume a lot more power. In any case I had a Zbook from 2018 that also had a really bad TIM application with temps much too high and all over the place and that was with a much lower TDP.

I bit the bullet and repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut (just had it on hand, not ignoring the PTM7950 suggestion). While I'm happy that my 3 hours of effort has paid off, I'm feeling rather disappointed that a brand new machine needed this to be done in order to function as it should.

Idle temps are in the mid-30s. Under load (Cinebench R23 multi core) it is hitting a maximum of 81C with a score of 17591.

Incredible. 🙃

• Thumb Up 3
  • Haha 1

Honestly I don't think it's the quality or type of paste as much as it is the way it was applied. It was such a messy job, with excess paste oozing out on all sides. Wish I had taken photos of before and after. Anyway, I'm overall very happy with this PC. Not a fan of having to repaste but it was well worth it.

• 5 months later...

Until now I failed to see power button on G9 and G10 - it is on keyboard.
I though it's more less than 500$ laptop thing, to cheap out on extra work and costs, but on workstation it is outrage (dell precision in same boat). Little liquid spill and can't power laptop, in worst case bigger IC dies (kbc, chipset or whatever 3.3v keyboard button they connected directly to).

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but that made me not to buy any laptop as that Fury G9/G10 was my last hope to buy fast & durable mobile rig in future.