NotebookTalk

Any other XPS 13 9315 2-in-1 detachable owners here?

Frosty

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking about this, as I getting fed up with the ipads OS  in producivity (I would need full office).

But I have a question I find no answer to. Can the mobile net version of this function as a hotspot (I'm using 4g and 5g ipads since years for this for my 17 inch precision laptop)?

Thx for the answer if some one has it.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking.  Are you asking if the 5G version of this device can work as a hotspot?  If so, it should.  Windows 11 has a "mobile hotspot" feature, although I haven't tried it.  There's also a third-party app called Connectify that I've used over the years to turn a PC into a hotspot.  That works well.

Windows 10 does mobile hotspot as well, from Settings -> Network & Internet -> Mobile hotspot.  You can choose which connection that you want to share and it will host a new Wi-Fi network from your laptop, basically turning it into a wireless router.  I "assume" that this would work for sharing a 5G/LTE connection, but I have never tried it.

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

On 12/7/2022 at 8:56 AM, Aaron44126 said:

Windows 10 does mobile hotspot as well, from Settings -> Network & Internet -> Mobile hotspot. 

Yep, but I don't believe this device ships with Windows 10 -- only Windows 11 AFAIK.

I am almost sure that you can use the Dell as a mobile hotspot for your notebook. 

Edit: I just went in to settings and yes, there is a setting right in windows 11 for mobile hotspot, you should be good to go.  Welcome to the "darkside" too. iPads are toys. If you want to get work done etc, you need a portable computer with windows. 

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

They (ipad) can do most anything, but it's the assbackwards way you have to go about everything.  It's entire operating system is designed for consumption not production. The surface lineup, and this dell xps are much more functional, and able to do things easily like working with various files and drives.  Connectivity is another issue with ipad.  You cannot plug multiple things in without dongles...

On 12/24/2022 at 3:38 AM, kojack said:

Connectivity is another issue with ipad.  You cannot plug multiple things in without dongles...

So many peripherals are wireless (headphones, printers, and whatnot) that for most users it's not a big issue.  And the 9315 2-in-1 only has two USB-C ports vs one for iPad Pros, so the difference in port selection isn't major.

It is when that one port is power, etc.  Every extra one counts.  Plus, the dell runs on a real OS not a phone OS. 

At least slowly the ipads do have a competition like this xps. Would be nice tough to have something a bit smaller (this is firmly in 12,9 ipad pro territory, and the 11 inch is more then enough in this role of media consumption plus getting done something quickly away from the work desk for me).

On 12/28/2022 at 2:24 AM, kojack said:

It is when that one port is power, etc.  Every extra one counts.  Plus, the dell runs on a real OS not a phone OS. 

What type of plug-in peripherals do you use where the 9315's two USB-C ports are more useful than an iPad Pro's one USB-C port?   I agree that in general more ports are better, but if I'm at a desk I'm plugging into a hub anyway.

8 hours ago, Tom1939 said:

At least slowly the ipads do have a competition like this xps. Would be nice tough to have something a bit smaller (this is firmly in 12,9 ipad pro territory, and the 11 inch is more then enough in this role of media consumption plus getting done something quickly away from the work desk for me).

The hardware of my iPad Pro 12.9" is hands down better than the hardware of my XPS 13 9315 in so many ways, from battery life to the keyboard (Apple's Magic Keyboard vs Dell's crummy folio is no comparison) to the the immediacy of the iPad touch system vs the 9315's lags and freezes (whether the culprit is hardware or software doesn't matter when you want a usable, reliable device).  I've never had a hardware issue with any of the multiple iPads I've owned vs with the 9315 the problems with the touch screen and others started within days.

What the 9315 has going for it is the full OS.  iPadOS is way too limiting for my tastes for production tasks, but it works great as a consumption device.  I'd be happy running if it was possible to run Windows 7/10/11 on iPad hardware. 

• Thumb Up 1

There's a need for both. My wife is a huge "i" user, having used both iPhones and iPads since they came out. She lives on her iPad. But she also has an XPS 13 2-in-1, and keeps it close by, as there are times you need the advanced functionality of a Windows laptop (as vs an iPad).

17 hours ago, Frosty said:

iPadOS is way too limiting for my tastes for production tasks, but it works great as a consumption device. 

This nails it. She consumes mass quantities of Internet garbage on her iPad, but when she needs to DO something, out comes the XPS.

XPS 17, 64GB RAM, 2 4TB SSD

On 12/30/2022 at 7:54 AM, astrohip said:

There's a need for both. My wife is a huge "i" user, having used both iPhones and iPads since they came out. She lives on her iPad. But she also has an XPS 13 2-in-1, and keeps it close by, as there are times you need the advanced functionality of a Windows laptop (as vs an iPad).

Agreed.  I've kept my iPad Pro 12.9" for watching movies, social media, and general usage.  It's the better device for that.  But for productive tasks, the iPad is not an option for me.  That's when I bring out the XPS 13 2-in-1.

• Thumb Up 2

On 12/29/2022 at 10:46 PM, Frosty said:

The hardware of my iPad Pro 12.9" is hands down better than the hardware of my XPS 13 9315 in so many ways, from battery life to the keyboard (Apple's Magic Keyboard vs Dell's crummy folio is no comparison) to the the immediacy of the iPad touch system vs the 9315's lags and freezes (whether the culprit is hardware or software doesn't matter when you want a usable, reliable device).  I've never had a hardware issue with any of the multiple iPads I've owned vs with the 9315 the problems with the touch screen and others started within days.

What the 9315 has going for it is the full OS.  iPadOS is way too limiting for my tastes for production tasks, but it works great as a consumption device.  I'd be happy running if it was possible to run Windows 7/10/11 on iPad hardware. 

Yep, an ipad with full OS would dominate. The painfull thing about it is that apple could do that with this hardware but they do not want their macs dominated (mostly the air line I would think).

• Thumb Up 1

On 1/3/2023 at 11:35 PM, Tom1939 said:

Yep, an ipad with full OS would dominate. The painfull thing about it is that apple could do that with this hardware but they do not want their macs dominated (mostly the air line I would think).

Yep.  It's an odd thing for them to have non-touch OSX devices and touch iPadOS devices when a touch OSX/iPadOS device would be a beautiful thing.

And I say that despite being a PC guy.