NotebookTalk

RTX 4090 Connectorgate

Sandy Bridge

This has been an interesting twist in the new GPU generation - the melting of 16-pin adapters on the RTX 4090.  I don't know if there is any way to estimate how prevalent the problem is, but it sounds like it's more than just one or two rogue GPUs.

Should we start taking bets on how long it will be until there's a class action lawsuit?  Would you buy an RTX 4090 today given the stories of melting 16-pin adapters?  If you've already bought one, are you concerned about your GPU going up in a puff of smoke?

I wasn't in the market anyway due to the price and having no need for that level of performance, but I definitely wouldn't buy a GPU with that sort of problem.

• Thumb Up 1

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

Apparently, the problem is specific to the Nvidia adapter, so best to use another cable. Wouldn't stop me from buying one those cards, as I would be upgrading the PSU to one with native 12VHPWR support anyway.

The horror has a face – NVIDIA’s hot 12VHPWR adapter for the GeForce RTX 4090 with a built-in breaking point

• Thumb Up 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

23 hours ago, Sandy Bridge said:

This has been an interesting twist in the new GPU generation - the melting of 16-pin adapters on the RTX 4090.  I don't know if there is any way to estimate how prevalent the problem is, but it sounds like it's more than just one or two rogue GPUs.

Should we start taking bets on how long it will be until there's a class action lawsuit?  Would you buy an RTX 4090 today given the stories of melting 16-pin adapters?  If you've already bought one, are you concerned about your GPU going up in a puff of smoke?

I wasn't in the market anyway due to the price and having no need for that level of performance, but I definitely wouldn't buy a GPU with that sort of problem.

heck yeah i was worried when those stories first came up. i checked my 4090 like every 5 minutes for any power cable sag / bend! such an elation to find out the issue likely lies with the standard Nvidia 8pin to 16 pin adapters! best decision i ever made in such a context to go with a high quality seasonic psu that has a native 16pin PCIe 5.0 power cable 🙂 plus, the humongous Phanteks Enthoo Pro II case also helps, sporting more than enough "girth" to leave sufficient space for the power cable protruding from the gpu, basically no bent at the connector itself and only very gradual bending of the cable downstream from the connector.

• Thumb Up 1

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

4 hours ago, jaybee83 said:

heck yeah i was worried when those stories first came up. i checked my 4090 like every 5 minutes for any power cable sag / bend! such an elation to find out the issue likely lies with the standard Nvidia 8pin to 16 pin adapters! best decision i ever made in such a context to go with a high quality seasonic psu that has a native 16pin PCIe 5.0 power cable 🙂 plus, the humongous Phanteks Enthoo Pro II case also helps, sporting more than enough "girth" to leave sufficient space for the power cable protruding from the gpu, basically no bent at the connector itself and only very gradual bending of the cable downstream from the connector.

Yeah, I was thinking in particular about your new supercomputer and hoping it wouldn't have issues right before you got to game on it for the next few months.  Good to hear you have a native 16 pin cable!

• Bump 1

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)