NotebookTalk

video stutter

Light

New Dell Precision 7770 with nvidia A1000 gpu.

For some reason a .mov file from a dji drone stutters when played with Windows Photos app or Windows Media Player.

It plays kind of ok for a few seconds, and then becomes a "slide show" with about 1/2 second between frames.

.mov file is 3840 x 2160 resolution, 100090 kbps data rate according to properties. Total file size is 892 MB and it's playing from an SSD.

I can play it in another application smoothly on the 7770, but I've never encountered (at least in recent years) simple windows photos and windows media player not playing a video smoothly.
Same .mov file plays smoothly on a Precision 7710 when viewing it with microsoft photos app.

I don't see any setting to adjust to address this - any ideas?

Settings for Windows 10 ..... If you are on Windows 11 it might be slightly different.

Settings app -> System -> (scroll down) Graphics settings

Under "Choose an app to set preference", select "Microsoft Store app" and then "Photos".  Click "Add" and set it to use the high-performance GPU.

(Note: The default video player is actually "Moves & TV", not "Photos" -- might want to do that one too.)

Close out any running sessions of the app (might have to kill it in Task Manager, Photos likes to stay running after you close all open windows) and then give it another try.  It should use the dGPU for playback and maybe it will work better.

• Thumb Up 1

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

1 hour ago, Light said:

I don't see any setting to adjust to address this - any ideas?

yep, change your bios power plan from balanced to performance and try again,
(in windows use either power plan you like, power saver or balanced to compensate)

• Thumb Up 1

the impossible is not impossible, its just haven't been done yet.

1 hour ago, Aaron44126 said:

Settings for Windows 10 ..... If you are on Windows 11 it might be slightly different.

Settings app -> System -> (scroll down) Graphics settings

Under "Choose an app to set preference", select "Microsoft Store app" and then "Photos".  Click "Add" and set it to use the high-performance GPU.

(Note: The default video player is actually "Moves & TV", not "Photos" -- might want to do that one too.)

Close out any running sessions of the app (might have to kill it in Task Manager, Photos likes to stay running after you close all open windows) and then give it another try.  It should use the dGPU for playback and maybe it will work better.

Interesting. Under Display, Graphic Settings, Graphics performance preference I added Microsoft Store App and selected Photos.
Set to "High performance" GPU: NVIDIA RTX A1000 Laptop GPU

and video in photos or media player was still choppy after a second or two.

Set Photos to "Power saving" GPU: Intel UHD Graphics

and the video is smooth all the way through, no issues.

Just noticed there is a driver update available from 1236 to 1278 so I'll try that asap.

Have been using photos to view mostly photos but the occasional drone video that is in the mix; I uninstalled the movies and tv app on my last three laptops because I never used it (don't do much video), but I guess that would explain why no one else noticed the driver that shipped with the laptop having choppy video... because everyone else is probably using movies & tv app I guess.

• Thumb Up 1

Updated the 850 mb Dell driver from 1236 to 1278 (nvidia version 512.78) but no change.

I'm not sure if I'm extremely underwhelmed by the new nvidia A1000 GPU, or if it is just an odd driver issue. 

I have no issues with an nvidia M3000M playing the same video in either windows media player or photos app on a different laptop.

i am surprised i didn't think of this earlier, by now its a second nature i don't really think about it anymore,

you most likely missing lots of codecs since its a new default system, Download and install K-Lite Codec Pack
(i recommend to use Mega, select install everything option) afterwards you should be able to render your file in media player,
you should also have a new media player classic 64bit & 32bit also included with Mega i suggest making 64bit variation your default,

it is the good old classic media player with lots of controls never exposed in the original version, you can swap rendering engine and much more,
been using it for years now, occasionally i will encounter an odd video that wont render properly,

for those i also have VLC Media Player installed (not used as default),
VLC adds few odd or very new codecs to the collection which will make virtually any media file render properly,

(it is recommended to update these two every 6-12 months or whenever new media file doesn't render properly)

9 hours ago, Light said:

I'm not sure if I'm extremely underwhelmed by the new nvidia A1000 GPU, or if it is just an odd driver issue.

I suspect that its the latter.  A1000 should be able to play a 4K video file.  Anyway, there's also no reason to invoke the dGPU for video playback if the iGPU can do it fine, which seems to be the case here.

(I typically shy away from installing extra codec packs unless you have a specific need for them.  Windows supports a pretty broad set of common codecs on its own these days and VLC can play anything else you run across.)

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

one can also try to hunt down the specific codec missing in this case it should be HVEC which can be downloaded from Microsoft directly
https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9N4WGH0Z6VHQ?hl=en-us&gl=us 

my situation is slightly different, i have many old files from older cameras, there was no regulatory back then (still isn't),
it is practically impossibly to track a 20 year old camera codec, the bundle K-Lite provides up to this point resolved any codec issues i run into,