NotebookTalk

AMD Genoa - Crushing It in the Data Center with 96 Cores

Sandy Bridge

From the Tom's Hardware review performance page: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-4th-gen-epyc-genoa-9654-9554-and-9374f-review-96-cores-zen-4-and-5nm-disrupt-the-data-center/5

Looks awfully hard to compete with, we'll see how Sapphire Rapids does come January, but Intel's current king scores just below Genoa's 32-core chip, which has 1/3 the cores of the top-end model, and Team Blue only plans to bump their max core count to 60.  AMD also has a humungous advantage in cache size, even relative to the number of cores.

The first page is also worth a look, if only for the picture of Genoa next to various other processors - this is a chonky processor.

Unfortunately it's a bit pricey for a home system, $11,805 at the high end for 96 cores, plus it requires DDR5 memory.  Still impressive though.  I want one.  Just not enough to drop 11 grand on it!

• Thumb Up 4

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

20 hours ago, Sandy Bridge said:

From the Tom's Hardware review performance page: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-4th-gen-epyc-genoa-9654-9554-and-9374f-review-96-cores-zen-4-and-5nm-disrupt-the-data-center/5

Looks awfully hard to compete with, we'll see how Sapphire Rapids does come January, but Intel's current king scores just below Genoa's 32-core chip, which has 1/3 the cores of the top-end model, and Team Blue only plans to bump their max core count to 60.  AMD also has a humungous advantage in cache size, even relative to the number of cores.

The first page is also worth a look, if only for the picture of Genoa next to various other processors - this is a chonky processor.

Unfortunately it's a bit pricey for a home system, $11,805 at the high end for 96 cores, plus it requires DDR5 memory.  Still impressive though.  I want one.  Just not enough to drop 11 grand on it!

LOL please let us know if ure actually going for such a monster in a home system 🤩

19 hours ago, Etern4l said:

Yes, impressive but let's wait for a comparison to Sapphire Rapids. 

as usual yeps, always good to have the reviews out. but id have to agree with @Sandy Bridge , its gonna be an uphill battle for Intel, esp. since theyll have to go all-out balls to the wall on monolithic chips to even stay competitive against Genoa.

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

On 11/12/2022 at 2:10 AM, jaybee83 said:

LOL please let us know if ure actually going for such a monster in a home system 🤩

Haha, well considering I don't play the lottery, that's not very likely.  Will let y'all know if I somehow win one in a giveaway though!

----

And sure, if I were in charge of upgrades and the regular upgrade cycle were for Q1 2023, I'd be waiting for Sapphire Rapids.  But this feels about as much like a "shut up and take my money" case as any generational upgrade I've seen.  If the upgrade cycle said Q4 2022 was the time for an upgrade, I probably wouldn't be asking for a delay.

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

• 2 weeks later...

Far late, I wanted to post but just recalled I saw the thread title sometime back. STH has a review too. Anyways posting for posterity.

Would love to have one but they are literally unobtainum. HEDT is also sadly gone.

Shame we normal folks will never get to damn experience them. Buy old XEON build small scale homeservers or to wait for the Rome EPYC 7000 series processors to drop in used which won't happen for at-least 5-6 years from now.

Quick side note about HEDT death - I do not forget what AMD pulled on the HEDT consumers, they absolutely killed the HEDT well some of the blame should also go to Intel after their X299 they killed it and did not care and pumped out BS like XEON W anyone remember ASUS ROG Dominus Extreme ? yeah pepperridge farm remembers, running on a chiller lol.

So AMD had zero competition. Still made X299 outdated by the Threadripper 2000 which was a most wanted update to TR 1000 series because the 1st version was horrid, Zen+ based TR 2000 was a much welcomed one, but they killed that X399 (sTR4 socket, yeah pathetic X299 ripoff naming from AMD PR team). Launched sTRX4 socket upgrade for TR 3000 which were based on Zen 2 cores. That thing screamed performance it nuked Intel XEON W. But guess what ? normies and people made PC into a gaming only machine and do not care for PCIe slots or I/O I already repeated this over and over but I will again everyone wants "Muh Gaming" so it died due to high cost (no competition) and not much market since Mainstream Ryzen got a lot of Cores/Threads AMD saw not worth in reducing the EPYC bins to TR. Thus HEDT faded out. Then AMD pulled another EOL the sTRX4 is dead after just a single CPU support replaced by sWRX8 socket TR 5000 PRO series, ultimate processors, massive I/O performance as they were on Zen 3 based design but unobtainum as the prices got jacked up to stratosphere. So thus HEDT died.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Sad 1

Helios (WIP)

i9 10900K // Trident Z Royal C16 4000MHz B-Die 32GB // ASUS Maximus XIII APEX // Noctua DH15 Chromax // RTX3090Ti FE // Alienware 360Hz G-Sync Ultimate IPS FHD // Seasonic Prime TX 1000 Titanium // Fractal Meshify 2XL

Ethereal Ranger

Alienware 17 R1 // i7 4710MQ // 16GB DDR3L 2133MHz // 980M 860M loaner // Windows 8.1