NotebookTalk

A few questions about a macbook pro 17"

kojack

So, I have stumbled across a A1297 macbook 17" for 95 dollars semi locally.  The owner says he purchased it with the intention of installing a new HD and battery.  There is no charger with it.  My son has a 2015 macbook air.  Are the chargers the same for both macbooks so I can see if I can get the 17" to post?  Also, where I have no install media for MacOS, can I create this somehow and will this old system be able to run newer OS versions some how?  I am interested in this project since I have some spare parts hanging around.  

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

I don't think the power adapters will be cross-compatible.  A1297 has the original MagSafe connector and MacBook Air 15 has MagSafe 2.

You don't need install media for macOS.  The system BIOS has the capability to pull it down on-demand over the Internet.  Hold the "Command" and "R" keys while you power on the system and you will get to a recovery mode where you can reinstall macOS.  (You may have to select a Wi-Fi network and enter the password if you do not have the system connected via Ethernet.)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Once macOS is installed, you will be free to upgrade it to the latest version supported on the system using the regular online process.  (Newer systems are upgraded through the "Software Update" component in system settings, but older ones actually had you pull down the new OS through the App Store.)

...I looked up the model information.  A1297 is rather old, that model was released in 2009.  The latest officially supported OS is Mac OS X 10.11 "El Capitan", released in 2015.  You might be able to upgrade to a later release "unsupported", this site has some information on that.  http://dosdude1.com/software.html

• Thumb Up 1

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

18 hours ago, Aaron44126 said:

I don't think the power adapters will be cross-compatible.  A1297 has the original MagSafe connector and MacBook Air 15 has MagSafe 2.

You don't need install media for macOS.  The system BIOS has the capability to pull it down on-demand over the Internet.  Hold the "Command" and "R" keys while you power on the system and you will get to a recovery mode where you can reinstall macOS.  (You may have to select a Wi-Fi network and enter the password if you do not have the system connected via Ethernet.)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Once macOS is installed, you will be free to upgrade it to the latest version supported on the system using the regular online process.  (Newer systems are upgraded through the "Software Update" component in system settings, but older ones actually had you pull down the new OS through the App Store.)

...I looked up the model information.  A1297 is rather old, that model was released in 2009.  The latest officially supported OS is Mac OS X 10.11 "El Capitan", released in 2015.  You might be able to upgrade to a later release "unsupported", this site has some information on that.  http://dosdude1.com/software.html

Ok, I have seen on other forums where you can install unsupported OS versions. I was thinking about doing the upgrades to the system and selling it.  It looks as if it's still a desirable machine out there. Maybe I will keep it and install the lastest unsupported version and go from there. 

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses