NotebookTalk

Fractal Designs North Case. This will be the base for my next build!

kojack

This case will be the base for my next build. I can reuse alot of my current parts inside, such as my noctua cooling components, HDD and SSD setups.  I will be moving to a 13th gen i9, 4090 graphics card and asus proart board.  I still only see the option for 128gb of ram. Can you get single sticks of 64 gb ddr5 yet?  

Fractal North Case

• Thumb Up 1

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

Stylish case. I looked at the ProArt board but stepped back from that and Asus in general for a couple of reasons including what seemed like less robust RAM support. BTW Alder/Raptor Lake only support up to 128GB of RAM, unfortunately.

I'm not aware of 64GB sticks - they would most likely be preferable since the support for 4 DDR5 modules still leaves a lot to be desired, just check the RAM compatibility page for your board of choice to see what I mean. For example, I can only run my 5600 RAM at 4800 stable. MSI don't even officially support this config for my Kingston modules, and for other modules the supported speed is in the 4000-4400 range. Asus was even worse back in June. 

• Thumb Up 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

3 hours ago, kojack said:

This case will be the base for my next build. I can reuse alot of my current parts inside, such as my noctua cooling components, HDD and SSD setups.  I will be moving to a 13th gen i9, 4090 graphics card and asus proart board.  I still only see the option for 128gb of ram. Can you get single sticks of 64 gb ddr5 yet?  

Fractal North Case

damn dude, someone's planning to go all out on his next build, i know the feeling 😄

that case looks a wee bit small though...just make sure its able to fit those 4090 monster cards 😅

as for those crazy capacity sticks...be aware that the higher cap u go the less speed ull get out of them. what u need so much RAM for, anyways? running whole datasets in memory or smth?

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

12 hours ago, jaybee83 said:

damn dude, someone's planning to go all out on his next build, i know the feeling 😄

that case looks a wee bit small though...just make sure its able to fit those 4090 monster cards 😅

as for those crazy capacity sticks...be aware that the higher cap u go the less speed ull get out of them. what u need so much RAM for, anyways? running whole datasets in memory or smth?

Video, photo and graphics intensive projects with time constraints.  Trying to remove every bottle neck.  This system will probably be started next winter. My XPS build is trudging along fine right now.  Doing what I need it to do, and what not. But once I step up to the new camera gear, I think it will have more trouble then. 

• Thumb Up 1

On 12/20/2022 at 11:01 AM, kojack said:

Video, photo and graphics intensive projects with time constraints.  Trying to remove every bottle neck.  This system will probably be started next winter. My XPS build is trudging along fine right now.  Doing what I need it to do, and what not. But once I step up to the new camera gear, I think it will have more trouble then. 

keep us updated on that beastly setup then 🙂 

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

23 minutes ago, jaybee83 said:

keep us updated on that beastly setup then 🙂 

Will do.  When the time comes I have the build list done. Moving to amd thread ripper for the CPU on a gigabyte creators board that handles 256gb of ram has 3 nvme slots on Board and can take two 7900 video cards.  Plus the extra drives I want as well. Should be a fun build when the time comes 

• Bump 1

Well, since doing some investigation etc, I am going to move in a different direction.  I think I am going to take the usable parts from my XPS, use the Asus ProArt LGA-1200 board, install my 10700, ram, drives and add a second 2070 super. Then take whats left of the XPS and build a new system for my son for doing some video/photo work on for him.  Kill two birds with one stone. I get the case, and system I need, and he gets a new decently powerful desktop for him to grow and create with.  I think this would be the best way to move on this.  We will see in the new year.  My system right now is doing EVERYTHING I ask of it. So I don't need something new, but damn, that wooden front is awesome and I cannot move my entire system to the new chassis because of Dell. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2022 at 7:29 PM, kojack said:

Fractal North Case

Review for you...

Award-2-968x980.jpg

FRACTAL DESIGN North in the test - noble midi tower with wood applications creates a whiskey lounge feeling igorslab.de/en

On 12/25/2022 at 4:47 PM, kojack said:

but damn, that wooden front is awesome and I cannot move my entire system to the new chassis because of Dell. 

Yep, Dell know how to lure back old customers. Proprietary HW is laptops is bad but do the same for desktops... They deserve tripple facepalm.gif.49a6a3eb6a86d85c9f404ee4a8fe8589.giffacepalm.gif.49a6a3eb6a86d85c9f404ee4a8fe8589.giffacepalm.gif.49a6a3eb6a86d85c9f404ee4a8fe8589.gif

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

58 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Review for you...

Award-2-968x980.jpg

FRACTAL DESIGN North in the test - noble midi tower with wood applications creates a whiskey lounge feeling igorslab.de/en

Yep, Dell know how to lure back old customers. Proprietary HW is laptops is bad but do the same for desktops... They deserve tripple facepalm.gif.49a6a3eb6a86d85c9f404ee4a8fe8589.giffacepalm.gif.49a6a3eb6a86d85c9f404ee4a8fe8589.giffacepalm.gif.49a6a3eb6a86d85c9f404ee4a8fe8589.gif

Agreed, but at the time, it was either that or have no system at all.  Cost of video cards was BONKERS here.  I paid like 300 dollars more for the entire system than a video card alone.

• Thumb Up 1

1 hour ago, kojack said:

Agreed, but at the time, it was either that or have no system at all.  Cost of video cards was BONKERS here.  I paid like 300 dollars more for the entire system than a video card alone.

Yep. Dell took the advantage of the situation and throw out pure trash due the lack of computer parts... 

The Worst Pre-Built We've Ever Reviewed: Alienware R13 $5000 Gaming PC Benchmarks.......

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

I find mine fine, as long as you don't want to move stuff to a different case.  It's plenty fast, quiet (after adding the notcua cooling solutions) and I have no problems with it at all.  But, I do agree with the proprietary hardware. Mine came just as I configured it.  Mistakes happen, but they should have stepped up and fixed Dawid's issues.  After some more research last night, I know that if I move to the proart board with my non K 10700, I can still get a 26 percent increase in performance.  Supposedly intel left some stuff to unlock in the non k i7.  Add in the SLI 2070 super duo card, and for resolve and other editing software I will have a video system thats equivalent to a 3090 with in an "fps" or so.  

It makes sense for me to move to the ProArt z-490 board in the North case for sure now.