NotebookTalk

Smart Watches thread

ryan

Just bought my dad a active 2 by samsung I hope he likes the gift/ I might buy myself one eventually, anyone have a smart watch? share!

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

My wife and I both had Apple series 3 when they came out.  It was fun responding to texts etc for a while. We then sold them and moved to fitbit.  She has the luxe, and I have the Versa 2.  The health tracking of the Fitbit products are way ahead of apples, and I only paid 139 cdn for mine and 119 for hers.  I do like the samsung better than the apple too. 

• Thumb Up 1

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

yeah im personally not buying one but I think because my dads quite active he will enjoy tracking his swimming laps walks ect. I really hope he enjoys it because I sacrificed my food money for the gift.

also its funny you mentioned the fitbit that was what I was originally going to buy him the versa 2 and his wife the  luxe

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• 1 month later...

I just ordered a new Apple watch ultra for me and a 41mm series 8 for the wife. Dunno, Trying them again.  I like the fact that any accessory is available for them, they work seamlessly with our iPhones, and we just paid for Apple one premier so we have apple fitness + to try too. 

• 4 weeks later...

We got our new watches.  I ordered the 8 for me after as well.  The ultra was just too big, had sharp uncomfortable edges around the screen and was just crazy money.  If I am going to spend that much on a watch it will be a real watch that don't stop getting software updates after a few years because apple wants to sell you  a new watch.  It is a nice toy though!

I have a lte active 2. Was cheap.  Did you get the lte version. Fairly robust being able to use as a standalone 

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Yes, both are the LTE models. I would only buy LTE model watches if available. They are very convenient. 

Right now to lte watch 5 40mm seems like the best bang for the buck. At around 200 cad used

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

I was given an Apple Watch Series 3 when it was pretty new, and I used it until this past fall when Apple stopped offering watchOS updates for it.  (I do feel like five years of software support for a smartwatch was pretty good, though hopefully as the hardware matures they can make that even longer.)  I went and bought an Apple Watch Series 8.  The Series 3 is still usable of course (my wife still uses one), but as a tech guy I do like to be current on the software.  The small model is fine for me (currently 41mm), I don't think that I would want it to be any bigger.

I don't have an LTE one.  I don't really see the point.  I'd be paying extra for the device and then for an extra cell service line as well.  The watch will just tether data off of my phone, and I'm never far enough away from my phone for that to be an issue.  I guess I could see it being handy if you wanted to like go for a run and not have to bring your phone along ...?

Going from Series 3 to Series 8 was quite a jump.  I greatly appreciate the larger screen (mostly achieved by making the bezel smaller, rather than by making the watch larger) — it's large enough to use a QWERTY touch keyboard, even.  I also like the always-on display...  I can check the time without it being as obvious that I am doing so, ha.  Also, it is super speedy compared to my Series 3, things that used to have to "wait" for are way just snappier.

As for what I use my watch for, the main thing is that it is really nice to be able to receive and reply to messages or even take phone calls without having find or interact with my phone.  It's also handy to have instant access to the weather forecast and my daily calendar without having to pull up some other device.  I also use the "timer" feature quite a bit and occasionally ask Siri questions (unit conversions are really handy).

I also use it for workout tracking, though I don't do much with that data.  Also, I generally appreciate having it keeping a biometric history like regular heartrate measurements, blood oxygen measurements, daily steps, and so forth — though I don't do much with that data either, it appears that it will keep this data "forever" and it could be handy as a baseline if I do have some health problem in the future.  Plus it is always on the lookout for things like irregular heartbeat, heartrate too high for your activity level (I've gotten this alert a few times when I was really worked up about something at work), a car crash, taking a fall from a ladder, environment dangerously loud for your ears, and so on.

• Thumb Up 2

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

18 hours ago, Aaron44126 said:

I was given an Apple Watch Series 3 when it was pretty new, and I used it until this past fall when Apple stopped offering watchOS updates for it.  (I do feel like five years of software support for a smartwatch was pretty good, though hopefully as the hardware matures they can make that even longer.)  I went and bought an Apple Watch Series 8.  The Series 3 is still usable of course (my wife still uses one), but as a tech guy I do like to be current on the software.  The small model is fine for me (currently 41mm), I don't think that I would want it to be any bigger.

I don't have an LTE one.  I don't really see the point.  I'd be paying extra for the device and then for an extra cell service line as well.  The watch will just tether data off of my phone, and I'm never far enough away from my phone for that to be an issue.  I guess I could see it being handy if you wanted to like go for a run and not have to bring your phone along ...?

Going from Series 3 to Series 8 was quite a jump.  I greatly appreciate the larger screen (mostly achieved by making the bezel smaller, rather than by making the watch larger) — it's large enough to use a QWERTY touch keyboard, even.  I also like the always-on display...  I can check the time without it being as obvious that I am doing so, ha.  Also, it is super speedy compared to my Series 3, things that used to have to "wait" for are way just snappier.

As for what I use my watch for, the main thing is that it is really nice to be able to receive and reply to messages or even take phone calls without having find or interact with my phone.  It's also handy to have instant access to the weather forecast and my daily calendar without having to pull up some other device.  I also use the "timer" feature quite a bit and occasionally ask Siri questions (unit conversions are really handy).

I also use it for workout tracking, though I don't do much with that data.  Also, I generally appreciate having it keeping a biometric history like regular heartrate measurements, blood oxygen measurements, daily steps, and so forth — though I don't do much with that data either, it appears that it will keep this data "forever" and it could be handy as a baseline if I do have some health problem in the future.  Plus it is always on the lookout for things like irregular heartbeat, heartrate too high for your activity level (I've gotten this alert a few times when I was really worked up about something at work), a car crash, taking a fall from a ladder, environment dangerously loud for your ears, and so on.

The main reason I got both MrsKojack and myself LTE's was because I work at bell part time.  Just as well buy them there.  It does come in handy when you run out for a second and forget your phone. When we purchased our new iPads and watches we signed up for the Apple + package with fitness etc in it and once our new home gym is completed next month, I will start using that to take off my Covid weight.  Ha ha!

plus its just plain cool going out with just a watch and one truely wireless bud in ear making bank, taking names and writing cheques boss life

• Haha 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

For apple, I recommend the beats lineup of bud.  You get all the functionality of the airpods without the pretentious wanker look of white ear wax coming out of your ears!

• Like 1

i just bought audio fly buds for 58 cad. they sound loud and clear and have flawless pairing as well as fast charge.

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

There are LOTS of great options out there not to bust the bank.  I have JVC ear buds and they sound great.  Got MrsKojack the same ones.  We ordered them with our airmiles rewards and have been using them for at least 3 years now.  Bought them before the pandemic hit. I am wanting something with "spatial audio" to see what that's all about.  We are both going with beats since the Apple ones are FUGLY! 

• Like 1

I think Beats are a bit expensive for me but heck if you got the money im sure they sound exceptional. I have another pair of klipsch t2s they sound better but only last 3 hours and are a pain to pair.

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Yes, they (beats) are bonkers expensive.  I may try to pair my jvc to my watch too.  Never tried it yet.  Klipsch are awesome!  Had a full home theater setup from them a few years back then went to PSB speakers for my theater.  

• Thumb Up 1

I was more concerned with battery life and quick charge then 3rdly audio quality because let's be honest just about every headphone over 50 bucks sound at the very least decent

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Yep...For sure.  Agreed 100 percent.  

• Thumb Up 1

I have a big request, when you finally get your beats truely wireless buds could you tell us your opinion of them how they compare to your cheaper set and if they are worth it, also possibly play a snoop dogg song and report on the bass

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled