NotebookTalk

The Last of Us

Eban

The problem is they messed up the story so bad in 2 that i dont want to play any of them 😅

Just hope the TV series is better

Edited by Reciever
Removed Adult language
  • Sad 2

7950X3D| Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo| MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi| Lian Li Galahad 360 V2| 32GB Kingston Renegade RGBZ 6000|Kingston KC3000 2TB| Fury Renegade 2TB|Samsung 970 Evo 1TB| Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo| Corsair HX1500i| Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo

Asus Zephyrus G15 (Ryzen 9 6900HS + RTX3080)

• 2 weeks later...

I see this advertised.  What is the story behind it?

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

On 12/30/2022 at 1:13 PM, cylix said:

The problem is they messed up the story so bad in 2 that i dont want to play any of them 😅

Just hope the TV series is better

Setting the typical deflections aside for those that like to defend it to the death (lol), the choices they decide to commit to in the second reminds me (not 1:1 mind you) of TellTales The Walking Dead, where they spend a great deal of time and energy getting you to care about Clementine only to go out of their way to 180 on persuade you to betray her at any given chance. 

On 1/8/2023 at 6:22 AM, kojack said:

John Wick except instead of a puppy and cool suits its the main characters daughter and the basic idea of zombie ants making its way into humans.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/8/2023 at 9:22 PM, kojack said:

I haven't seen part 2 so couldn't tell you. The reviews are not looking good, will have to try it myself.

I'm also waiting for the TV series.

As a prepper I do like zombie & apocalypse genre games and movies.

I really liked Telltale's The Walking Dead season 1 and 2....Michonne onwards was kinda meh :classic_dry:

Thunderchild // Lenovo Legion Y740 17" i7-9750H rtx2080maxQ win10 

RainBird // Alienware 17 (Ranger) i7-4910mq gtx860m win10LTSC

I might've bought a PS3 to play this if there were one other PS3 exclusive I also wanted to play, the problem was there never was that second game so I could never justify picking up the PS3.

Now that it's arriving on PC it's so many years later that I'm not sure that I care...

But it's also coming to HBO and I happen to have an active HBO Max subscription, so I'll try it there first.  Pity it doesn't drop till 9 PM and I already have plans around that time, guess I'll have to avoid this thread until I can catch up on it Monday...

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

Watched episode 1 tonight.  It was pretty good.  Felt like watching a zombie apocalypse movie, a bit of a 28 Days/Weeks Later vibe.  Not sure if it's going to be Game of Thrones (seasons 1-7) good, but I wasn't sure GoT was going to be that good for the first few episodes either.  I plan to catch episode 2 some time next week.

I'll also note that you don't have to have played the game to follow what's going on.  I haven't figured out exactly all the relations between all the characters yet, and am still figuring out who all is going to be recurring, but I've figured out who Joel and Ellie are so I think I'm going to be okay.

• Bump 1

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

• 2 months later...

The PC port of the game is awful but the memes are pretty funny😆

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-last-of-us-pc-port-is-bad-but-the-bugs-are-great/

• Haha 1

Current Laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.8Ghz (Boost: 4.2Ghz), 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 Memory, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS display, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, 1 TB Teamgroup MP34 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home 22H2

11 hours ago, KING19 said:

The PC port of the game is awful but the memes are pretty funny😆

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-last-of-us-pc-port-is-bad-but-the-bugs-are-great/

Um....guess I'll give Resident Evil 4 remake a try :classic_rolleyes:

Finished up the TV series tonight, I think the entire series clocked in at about half an hour less than it would take to build the shaders on the PC version.

Definitely worth watching, probably especially if you haven't played the game.

Thoughts on how it ended.

Okay, so at first I was pretty upset with Joel.  You're going to prevent Ellie from saving humanity and also kill a bunch of well-meaning people in the process?  Jerk move.

But after thinking about it more, I can kind of see where he's coming from.  This is no Game of Thrones Season 8 where characters' personalities change 180 degrees with no warning; the emerging father-daughter relationship had been becoming increasingly apparent for several episodes (Ellie wasn't correcting David that Joel wasn't her father in episode 8, as she had earlier, for example), and as Joel said it wasn't time that healed wounds.  No one had told Joel that there was going to be a fatal surgery involved.  He probably thought they just needed some blood samples and modern medical equipment that was hard to find post-apocalypse, and then he and Ellie could go live on a sheep ranch while vaccines saved humanity.

I can't help but wonder if better communication could have saved everyone (well, except perhaps Ellie).  Ellie was the only one who could convince Joel that saving humanity was for the best, but was never given that opportunity.  Perhaps Marlene didn't trust that Joel could be persuaded, or didn't think he would care so much, but thought saving humanity was of the utmost importance.  And who wouldn't think that?  But did humanity have to be saved that afternoon?  Could they have spend a couple days hanging out with the giraffes and coming to terms with that saving humanity would require?

• Thumb Up 1

4 hours ago, Sandy Bridge said:

Thoughts on how it ended.

Reveal hidden contents

Okay, so at first I was pretty upset with Joel.  You're going to prevent Ellie from saving humanity and also kill a bunch of well-meaning people in the process?  Jerk move.

But after thinking about it more, I can kind of see where he's coming from.  This is no Game of Thrones Season 8 where characters' personalities change 180 degrees with no warning; the emerging father-daughter relationship had been becoming increasingly apparent for several episodes (Ellie wasn't correcting David that Joel wasn't her father in episode 8, as she had earlier, for example), and as Joel said it wasn't time that healed wounds.  No one had told Joel that there was going to be a fatal surgery involved.  He probably thought they just needed some blood samples and modern medical equipment that was hard to find post-apocalypse, and then he and Ellie could go live on a sheep ranch while vaccines saved humanity.

I can't help but wonder if better communication could have saved everyone (well, except perhaps Ellie).  Ellie was the only one who could convince Joel that saving humanity was for the best, but was never given that opportunity.  Perhaps Marlene didn't trust that Joel could be persuaded, or didn't think he would care so much, but thought saving humanity was of the utmost importance.  And who wouldn't think that?  But did humanity have to be saved that afternoon?  Could they have spend a couple days hanging out with the giraffes and coming to terms with that saving humanity would require?

Agree with Joel 100%

Spoiler

Sorry I'm one of those people. I get emotional real quick when it comes to certain things. And my kid is one of those things...F humanity! I would burn every person I ever knew or even cared about to have saved Ellie (my kid). I agree with you in that Ellie should have had a choice, but as a father, letting go of his young kid to make adult choices that are pretty serious......:classic_unsure: (I'm just not adult enough emotionally to do that I guess)

While I do have a live and let live attitude to life, I don't think humans as a species is all that special. If we die out, then it was meant to be. Just another of natures mistakes. If we overcome every obstacle....then thats good too.

• Thumb Up 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2023 at 11:56 AM, Eban said:

Agree with Joel 100%

I'm definitely on board with Joel as well.

Spoiler

But also, when we say "Ellie should have had a choice", I think that should be applied to Fireflies as well (no matter how good their intentions)

But to me, I felt that the whole premise of the "possibility to save humanity by operating on her brain" was so far fetched that it kind of made me side with Joel anyways, whatever his reasons were.

GitHub

Currently and formerly owned laptops (specs below):

Serenity                    -> Dell Precision 5560
N-1                             -> Dell Precision 5560 (my lady's)

Razor Crest              -> Lenovo ThinkPad P16 (work)
Millenium Falcon    -> Dell Precision 5530 (work)
Axiom                        -> Lenovo ThinkPad P52 (work)
Moldy Crow             -> Dell XPS 15 9550

Spoiler

Senenity / N-1: Dell Precision 5560
    i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

Millenium Falcon: Dell Precision 5530
    i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz