NotebookTalk

*Official Benchmark Thread* - Post it here or it didn't happen :D

Mr. Fox

7 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Right now it seems like garbage collectors are loving their trash way too much. None of this even contemplates the fact that sheeple lack the ability to identify garbage.

Not much have changed since Intel, Nvidia and laptop manufacurers went with full BGA. This year it will be 10 years since Dell Alienware went totally retarded. The AW models from 2014 ws only re-hashed 2013 model.

Oh'well. Nothing beat upgradeability. Just put in some old and here we go 🙂 Or buy the newest and it will work equal well. The nice with the old.. You can use almost whatever OS you want from Redmond.

https://hwbot.org/submission/5209015_papusan_3dmark2001_se_geforce_gtx_580_188357_marks?recalculate=true

2869550.jpg

https://hwbot.org/submission/5208884_papusan_3dmark05_geforce_gtx_580_85385_marks

2869467.jpg

https://hwbot.org/submission/5209055_papusan_3dmark06_geforce_gtx_580_56697_marks?recalculate=true

2869573.jpg

https://hwbot.org/submission/5208900_papusan_aquamark_geforce_gtx_580_581528_marks?recalculate=true

2869475.jpg

Are you ready to throw away $500 on a SATA SSD Cable?😱 Yep we are still in Feb and not 1th April.

$500 Audiophile SATA SSD Cable With Superstar Crystals Listed

published about 17 hours ago

Claimed to be the “best computer Hi-Fi cable ever built.”

• Thumb Up 3
  • Like 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

Wow. Intel HEDT is back indeed. I am impressed. Competition is back and I'm loving it. 

EDIT: There is no doubt you will need two PSU's on two different circuits for this platform if you plan on overclocking...even with the 24c processors. I'm so excited.

• Thumb Up 4
  • Like 3

Connecticut Citizens Defense League: Carry On!

6 hours ago, Rage Set said:

Wow. Intel HEDT is back indeed. I am impressed. Competition is back and I'm loving it. 

EDIT: There is no doubt you will need two PSU's on two different circuits for this platform if you plan on overclocking...even with the 24c processors. I'm so excited.

Only $10.000+ for the platform. That's cheap. The bench elite (the chosen one) will get everything needed for free. 

500w and 60C with an aircooler is only possible due the huge die size. The die on mainstream chips is all too small hence you will see 100C with an stock 13900K with same air cooler setup (+-300w). 

Intel should stop making mainstram desktop chips from mobile trash silicon. Give us real P-cores and not this hybrid baby core mess meant for phones/tablets and Jokebooks.

Back to awful... This awful article below from Pcworld's editor is darn retarded/perverse and in short pure stupidity on high level. Pcworld have a lot readers and if the editor at Pcworld are fine with disgusting prices... Then expect the people (Pcworld's audience) will throw away their hard earned money for overpriced products. 

Look at this write down from Pcworld.... The price is right(ish)🤢 Same as say run and buy.

Schitts Creek Eww GIF by CBC

A defense of the GeForce RTX 4070 Ti by a 1440p gamer pcworld.com

Yes, the GeForce RTX 4070 Ti is overpriced. But it's still an excellent GPU.
  • Thumb Up 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

50 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Only $10.000+ for the platform. That's cheap. The bench elite will get everything needed for free. 

500w and 60C with an aircooler is only possible due the huge die size. The die on mainstream chips is all too small hence you will see 100C with an stock 13900K with same air cooler setup (+-300w). 

Intel should stop making mainstram desktop chips from mobile trash silicon. Give us real P-cores and not this hybrid baby core mess meant for phones/tablets and Jokebooks.

Back to awful... This awful article below from Pcworld's editor is darn retarded/perverse and in short pure stupidity on high level. Pcworld have a lot readers and if the editor at Pcworld are fine with disgusting prices... Then expect the people (Pcworld's audience) will throw away their hard earned money for overpriced products. 

Look at this writing from Pcworld.... The price is right(ish)🤢

Schitts Creek Eww GIF by CBC

A defense of the GeForce RTX 4070 Ti by a 1440p gamer pcworld.com

Yes, the GeForce RTX 4070 Ti is overpriced. But it's still an excellent GPU.

There is no doubt why Intel combined traditional HEDT with workstation. They could charge much more. 

To be fair, Intel did charge an arm and leg for the halo parts on the X99 and X299 platforms. I also don't mind that they are using older tech. Remember, Intel's HEDT platforms were always a gen behind mainstream in terms of core architecture. The only thing I wish is the ability to use non-ECC memory. 

I don't see Intel bringing all P-cores to mainstream. Non-enthusiast media and consumers are already complaining about the cooling and power requirements for 12/13 gen, I could only imagine the tears if they used only P-cores.

• Thumb Up 1

Connecticut Citizens Defense League: Carry On!

1 hour ago, Papusan said:

Only $10.000+ for the platform. That's cheap. The bench elite will get everything needed for free. 

Not even twice as fast as 13900K at $1k including the motherboard lol. Not to mention that the 56 core CPU he tested won't even be available in retail.

Yeah, PCWorld  - the paid advocates of AW and NVidia.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

1 hour ago, Rage Set said:

I don't see Intel bringing all P-cores to mainstream. Non-enthusiast media and consumers are already complaining about the cooling and power requirements for 12/13 gen, I could only imagine the tears if they used only P-cores.

Not only the only reasons. There hare many, but going with all P-cores they had to reduce Boost clocks for all cores load. Then You'll need minimum 12 P-cores to replace the hybrid baby core mess. But bigger die's would help a lot on the heat dissipation from the Cpu die over to the cold plate. And that bigger die cost money.

And Intel want go the wrong route for the consumers... Very small compute die and loads of die's for the rest of the chips package.

And we know how this work out for AMD. The small ccx chips run 95C with 33% less power consumption than an Intel chips on 10nm (known as Intel 7)

The next gen glued together Hybrid mess from Intel. 1 is the compute die. 

image.png.78b56a5dd88eee0ef8ac354e2e490eb0.png

Edit.

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-intel-meteor-lake-explainer-allow-me-to-clear-up-any-confusion/

roAvgu6PM8mg72jupnzwDV-970-80.jpg.webp

xudWF9jqGuduJiHujQAJHV-970-80.jpg

The beauty with AMD products... No need for bling bling and RGB fans😁

1 hour ago, Etern4l said:

Yeah, PCWorld  - the paid advocates of AW and NVidia

Yep, darn disgusting. And Tomshardware go same way... At least for Dell Alienware products.

• Thumb Up 5

52 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Not only the only reasons. There hare many, but going with all P-cores they had to reduce Boost clocks. Then You'll need 12 P-cores as minimum to replace the hybrid baby core mess. But bigger die's would help a lot on the heat dissipation from the Cpu die over to the cold plate. And that cost money. And Intel want go the wrong route for the consumers... Very small compute die and loads of die's for the rest of the chips paclkage.

And we know how this work out for AMD. The small ccx chips run 95C with 33% less power consumption than an Intel chips on 10nm. 

The next gen glued together Hybrid mess from Intel. 1 is the compute die. 

image.png.78b56a5dd88eee0ef8ac354e2e490eb0.png

Yeah, they obviously have to minimise the die area of the consumer chips to maximise yield, although I do wonder if just using a larger IHS would help? I guess they want to make the consumer CPUs work with small mini ITX boards or something.  Also why not use an IHS technology such that delidding no longer serves any purpose? I guess reliability.

The Xeons have to carry a huge premium because of

a) much larger die area,

b) being sold in much lower volumes, so all the fixed costs including R&D need to be covered by probably 10-1000x fewer units.

From purely performance/price viewpoint they are a poor deal unless > 128GB, or ECC memory etc are required, or the work cannot be distributed across multiple machines. Of course, none of that reasoning applies if satisfying a need for benching domination is the goal :)

• Thumb Up 3

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

2 hours ago, Etern4l said:

Also why not use an IHS technology such that delidding no longer serves any purpose? I guess reliability.

They could offer processors without the lid (delidded) but with a small frame arond the die to stop crushing it from wrong mounting/too high pressure. Not difficult if they wanted go the bare die route (same as BGA chips).

Btw. Intel know AMD's graphics cards in and out better than AMDs own engineers, LOOL

New needed AMD Radeon drivers out. AMD couln't let Intel run the show, HeHe

Fixed issues... Situational performance drop may be observed in DirectX® 11 based games on Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs using Ryzen™ processors

4 hours ago, Papusan said:

Only $10.000+ for the platform. That's cheap. The bench elite (the chosen one) will get everything needed for free. 

South Korean overclocker, SAFEDISK, has managed to overclock the Xeon W9-3495X to 5.22 GHz using LN2 and broken both the Cinebench R23 and Geekbench 3 Multi-core world record. The feat was achieved on the ASUS PRO WS W790E-SAGE SE motherboard with 128 GB of G.SKILL's latest Trident Z5 memory running at 6333 Mbps. You can find the HWBOT listing here.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

@PapusanI hope I don't end up being disappointed or hating myself for getting this thing.

Should have it by Friday.

Edit: looks like I got lucky. The price is now $400 USD more from a reseller scalper than what it cost me for the "sold and shipped by NewEgg" GPU. Even after sales tax and shipping was added it is still $235 less than the pre-tax scalper scam price.

• Thumb Up 6
  • Like 2

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO

Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Antec C8

Spectre // Z790i Edge | 14900KF | 3090 Ti FTW3 | 48GB DDR5-8200 | RM1000e | EK Nucleus CR360 Direct Die || Prime A21

Methuselah // X79 Rampage IV Gene | Xeon E5 1680V2 | 2080 Ti | 32GB DDR3-2400 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201

Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | 4K Display | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb | Nothing to Write Home About

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

@PapusanI hope I don't end up being disappointed or hating myself for getting this thing.

Should have it by Friday.

Congrats bro Fox. I waited 3.5 months and gave up on getting the Strixs OC. And the Strix was nr 1 on my list of 4090 I wanted. 

I’m posting from my phone. But is that price correct? Or does this $2,395 pricepoint include 25% Norwegian tax if I ordered it from US Newegg? Or is this the price you have to pay in US?

30C9D184-C7EA-40A9-9DF1-F3D4CD922BEC.png

image.png.7b7295a56e86c44cd7c17b7a002c981d.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Included 25% Tax here home.... From the shop that I had the chance to buy from.

image.png.8321256f0a5c18a40ae93af89c466aeb.png

This below is the price I had to pay for the Strix without Norwegian Greed here home from the shop... So it seems the shop here didn't over-charge for the Asus card here home. They normally add extra $$$ in the final price due currency exchange. Often 5-10% on top.

Could be the price is in short cheaper if the shop has added in the currency exchange. Then I expect well below 2000$ here home. That’s a steal because this pricing isn’t the norm here. The usual is 30-33% on top including everything above US prices. 

image.png.e2dbb57d5bb7836cc9318f86ad115f6b.png

Edit. Seems you got it at around $2000. Around same price we have to pay without the 25% tax.

• Thumb Up 1

4 hours ago, Papusan said:

They could offer processors without the lid (delidded) but with a small frame arond the die to stop crushing it from wrong mounting/too high pressure. Not difficult if they wanted go the bare die route (same as BGA chips).

Btw. Intel know AMD's graphics cards in and out better than AMDs own engineers, LOOL

New needed AMD Radeon drivers out. AMD couln't let Intel run the show, HeHe

Fixed issues... Situational performance drop may be observed in DirectX® 11 based games on Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs using Ryzen™ processors

South Korean overclocker, SAFEDISK, has managed to overclock the Xeon W9-3495X to 5.22 GHz using LN2 and broken both the Cinebench R23 and Geekbench 3 Multi-core world record. The feat was achieved on the ASUS PRO WS W790E-SAGE SE motherboard with 128 GB of G.SKILL's latest Trident Z5 memory running at 6333 Mbps. You can find the HWBOT listing here.

One of the most appealing features of that board is the support for octa-channel memory. If I understand correctly, Z690/790 are dual-channel (quad-channel internally), which leads tuo difficulties with 4 sticks. If W790 is octa (hexa internally) the a board with 8 sticks would run one channel per stick, meaning that high density modules would operate not only in parallel, but also at full speed..

https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/motherboards/workstation/pro-ws-w790e-sage-se/techspec/

There is a flaw though: neither of the Asus W790 boards support Thunderbolt. Did Intel cut that out of Sapphire Rapids? Thst would be an interesting move, given that the platform is aimed at professionals and creators. 

Edit: TB supported by an ASRock board: https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/W790 WS/index.asp

Nothing from MSI yet.

• Thumb Up 1

-- Max Tegmark

57 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Congrats bro Fox. I waited 3.5 months and gave up on getting the Strixs OC. And the Strix was nr 1 on my list of 4090 I wanted. 

I’m posting from my phone. But is that price correct? Or does this $2,395 pricepoint include 25% Norwegian tax if I ordered it from US Newegg? Or is this the price you have to pay in US?

Thank you. Yes, I know this is the one you wanted. It is sad that the NOK to USD exchange rate is 10:1 right now.

As I was waiting for Amazon to process my refund, I thought about the way the Suprim just died for no reason I could identify, and I remembered that my first Unify-X mobo lasted less than a day, I decided that was not better than the bad luck I have had with ASUS. I no longer have much confidence in reliability from either brand now. Figured that  I might as well get the Strix since it seems reliability for both brands is questionable. I almost pulled the trigger on a MSI Trio from Best Buy for $1600 and ready for pickup today, but decided that chances of me being happy with it are probably very slim. It's pretty wimpy in terms of power delivery, unlike the Strix and Suprim. The Strix and Suprim and HOF are the only 4090 GPUs built better than the FE. All others are weaker than the FE.

That is the US pre-tax price now on NewEgg, but it is the price from the scalpers. I did not pay that much and would never have ordered it at that price. The scalper price is ludicrous. I got the only NewEgg option in stock.

Here is what I paid for the "sold and shipped by NewEgg" GPU, which is still too much...
image.png.399a8c294444b0511d74f77666373ad2.png

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 2

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO

Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Antec C8

Spectre // Z790i Edge | 14900KF | 3090 Ti FTW3 | 48GB DDR5-8200 | RM1000e | EK Nucleus CR360 Direct Die || Prime A21

Methuselah // X79 Rampage IV Gene | Xeon E5 1680V2 | 2080 Ti | 32GB DDR3-2400 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201

Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | 4K Display | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb | Nothing to Write Home About

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second. 

7 hours ago, Papusan said:

You can't do that!

IT WILL LOSE US MONEY!!!!!

(Sponsored by Intel) 

• Thumb Up 1
  • Haha 3
  • Bump 1

Clevo P870TM-G: Core i7 8700k @ 4.8ghz | Clevo RTX 2070 Super | 32gb HyperX DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 17" 1440p 120hz B173QTN01.0 Screen | 256gb Samsung 850 EVO | 500gb WD Blue SSD | Prema BIOS

Alienware 17 R1: Core i7 4710mq @ 3.619ghz 741 CBR15 (834 CBR15 @ 4.213ghz) | Dell GTX 860m | 16gb HyperX DDR3L @ 2133mhz | 17" 3D 120hz LTN173HT02-T01 Screen | 256gb mSATA SSD

Asus Zephyrus G14: Ryzen 7 4800hs @ 4.2ghz | GTX 1650 | 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 14" 120hz LM140LF1F01 Screen | 512gb NVME SSD

8 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Thank you. Yes, I know this is the one you wanted. As I was waiting for Amazon to process my refund, I thought about the way the Suprim just died for no reason I could identify and decided that was not better than the bad luck I have had with ASUS. I no longer have much confidence in reliability from either brand now. Figured that  I might as well get the Strix since it seems reliability for both brands is questionable. I almost pulled the trigger on a MSI Trio from Best Buy for $1600 and ready for pickup today, but decided that chances of me being happy with it are probably very slim. It's pretty wimpy in terms of power delivery, unlike the Strix and Suprim. The Strix and Suprim and HOF are the only 4090 GPUs built better than the FE. All others are weaker than the FE.

That is the US pre-tax price now on NewEgg, but it is the price from the scalpers. I did not pay that much and would never have ordered it at that price. The scalper price is ludicrous. I got the only NewEgg option in stock.

Here is what I paid for the "sold and shipped by NewEgg" GPU, which is still too much...
image.png.399a8c294444b0511d74f77666373ad2.png

Thanks. Yep, I only wanted the Strix of all nowadays new GPUs. And I would never even buy anything else. Only luck that I saw the HOF. Still on the table. I need do some changes. And I don't like the way Be Quiet put the connectors. For single 16-pin 12VHPWR thats not a problem but with dual 16-pin 12VHPWR for the HOF I should have more connectors for my hobby with older cards. The Dark Pro is a fantastic PSU but now I'm limited the way I want my setup to work. See pict and you undetstand.

The PCIe connectors is rated 45A so near 500W (one PSU connector contain dual 8-pin). Aka 10x 8-Pin but with this layout I will be missing PCIe connectors. Have enough right now but I need more 8-pin connectors lying for my older cards.

As you can see... This layout eat up all PCIe connectors. No need for 180A for the HOF (4 connectors). But I have to use it this way.

2023-02-21_000519.png

I have two choices... Go for a new 1600+ Psu or an SFX psu for my old cards(the box support 2 PSUs).  

Is there some good advices on what SFX PSU to buy rated +600W I can use for powering my old graphics cards? This is the cheaper way and I will have the benefits have access to +2100W power. Norwegian AC connectors here home is 3600W or 16x230v.

Second question... I know you'll need the extra 6-pin connector on the motherboard to power more items connected to the MB. Without it could also make GPU stability problems. But I think more for only benching old cards and without having much connected to the MB. All strong fans is powered by the PSU and not to the MB (only rpm signals).

Edit. The MB fan headers is rated for 11A or 130W from MB. I don't use that power headroom.

Regarding the US price... Dang! Without the Norwecian taxes and the added exange currency I now pay less for the 4090 Asus than many other countries included US and you. Thats not normal bro Fox. Not at all.. This means parts is well above overpriced right now. Not the normal. Not here or other places.

What is normal Strix OC price (MSRP) in US?

• Thumb Up 2

35 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Thanks. Yep, I only wanted the Strix of all nowadays new GPUs. And I would never even buy anything else. Only luck that I saw the HOF. Still on the table. I need do some changes. And I don't like the way Be Quiet put the connectors. For single 16-pin 12VHPWR thats not a problem but with dual 16-pin 12VHPWR for the HOF I should have more connectors for my hobby with older cards. The Dark Pro is a fantastic PSU but now I'm limited the way I want my setup to work. See pict and you undetstand.

The PCIe connectors is rated 45A so near 500W (one cable connector contain dual 8-pin. Aka 10x 8-Pin but with this layout I will missing PCIe connectors.

Regarding the US price... Dang! Without the Norwecian taxes and the added exange currency I pay less for the 4090 Asus than many other countries included US and you. Thats not normal bro Fox. Not at all.. This means parts is well overpriced now. 

What is normal Strix OC price (MSRP) in US?

2023-02-21_000519.png

That's very weird. The BeQuiet PSU has 8+6 instead of 8+8? Technically, you only need 3x8-pin per cable. Some are 3x8-pin adapters and that is plenty for one 12VHPWR connection. In fact, the 3090 KPE can easily pull 1000W with a severe overclock and 3x8-pin provides ample power for that, along with what it can pull from the PCIe slot. I believe the 12VHPWR adapter cables that use 4x8-pin per 12VHPWR connector are using lighter gauge wiring and compensating for that by taking up the 4th PSU port. 

For example the cheap "Basic" CableMod 12VHPWR cable uses 4x8-pin PSU ports. The better "Pro" uses only 3x8-pin and uses heavier gauge cable and sells for $10 USD more than the "Basic" version.

The "normal" (meaning correct) price is $1999.99 direct from ASUS. I paid $10 more for a better experience dealing with NewEgg than the idiots at ASUS. If there is something wrong with it during the first month of ownership, NewEgg will take care of me better and faster than ASUS will. Most resellers are dishonest and live to screw their customers.

https://rog.asus.com/us/graphics-cards/graphics-cards/rog-strix/rog-strix-rtx4090-o24g-gaming-model/

It looks like it is available (at least at this very moment) direct from ASUS.

image.thumb.png.f0f0167288932ca894a858c0851ccc96.png

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Fox said:

That's very weird. The BeQuiet PSU has 8+6 instead of 8+8? Technically, you only need 3x8-pin per cable. Some are 3x8-pin adapters and that is plenty for one 12VHPWR connection. In fact, the 3090 KPE can easily pull 1000W with a severe overclock and 2x8-pin provides ample power for that, along with what it can pull from the PCIe slot. I believe the adapter cables that use 4x8-pin per 12VHPWR are using lighter gauge wiring and compensating for that by taking up the 4th PSU port. 

For example the cheap "Basic" CableMod 12VHPWR cable uses 4x8-pin PSU ports. The better "Pro" uses only 3x8-pin and uses heavier gauge cable and sells for $10 USD more than the "Basic" version.

The Be Quiet have 10X8-pin connectors divided by 5 PSU connectors. And I need 4 of them for the dual 12VHPWR connector for the HOF. Every PCIe line is rated 45A. So overkill. But the Be quiet 12VHPWR cable need two connectors connected to the PSU side. And 2x2 connectors on PSU side is 4 for the HOF's dual nvidia connectors.

And I have only one 2x8-Pin connector left. This is too little remaining connctors if I want to take out the 4090 for benching the old. I won't take in and out the small Nvidia cables from PSU for the 4090. If I use 6-pin connector for the MB, then I will lack PCIe connectors for the old graphics (Need 2x8-pin for that). 

Se also my second question... 

image.png.1c281bf440db098228743fd778393119.png

https://rog.asus.com/us/graphics-cards/graphics-cards/rog-strix/rog-strix-rtx4090-o24g-gaming-model/

It looks like it is available (at least at this very moment) direct from ASUS.

image.thumb.png.f0f0167288932ca894a858c0851ccc96.png

Thanks. This means the Asus card is priced equal in US as here home if I remove the added Norwegian tax and exchange fees. 

• Thumb Up 1

44 minutes ago, Papusan said:

I have two choices... Go for a new 1600+ Psu or an SFX psu for my old cards(the box support 2 PSUs).  

Is there some good advices on what SFX PSU to buy rated +600W I can use for powering my old graphics cards? This is the cheaper way and I will have the benefits have access to +2100W power. Norwegian AC connectors here home is 3600W or 16x230v.

I am not sure on a SFX PSU. There might be some good options, but the systems that use them are usually compromised in a myriad of ways. If you are only using the SFX PSU to power some older GPUs it probably doesn't need to be top notch.

44 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Second question... I know you'll need the extra 6-pin connector on the motherboard to power more items connected to the MB. Without it could also make GPU stability problems. But I think more for only benching old cards and without having much connected to the MB. All strong fans is powered by the PSU and not to the MB (only rpm signals).

20 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Se also my second question... 

image.png.1c281bf440db098228743fd778393119.png

I have the extra 6-pin PCI-e connector on my Dark mobo and I always use that when it is available on a motherboard because it helps GPU stability to have the additional power available to the PCIe slots with an insanely powerful GPU like the 3090 KPE or other GPU with a 1000W power limit. It might not matter with the older GPUs, but I don't question that it would be wise to have it connected with your 4090 HOF beast GPU. It might work OK without it, but it certainly cannot hurt to use it. I would if I were you.

image.thumb.png.ecf356b12a01eb5ace00ddcada7f9244.png

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

I am not sure on a SFX PSU. There might be some good options, but the systems that use them are usually compromised in a myriad of ways. If you are only using the SFX PSU to power some older GPUs it probably doesn't need to be top notch.

I have the 6-pin connection on my Dark mobo and I always use that because it helps GPU stability to have the additional power available to the PCIe slots with an insanely powerful GPU like the 3090 KPE or other GPU with a 1000W power limit. It might not matter with the older GPUs, but I don't question that it would be wise to have it connected with your 4090 HOF best GPU. It might work OK without it, but it certainly cannot hurt to use it. I would if I were you.

Yep. I know that. And I intended to do so and use the 6-pin on the MB for etc having the 4090 connected. No question on that.

But as I said... If I take out the 4090 and put in old cards with dual 8-pin I need to steal the 6-pin connector from the MB  to power the old GPUs. That may work. But the very best would be a 600W SFX PSU. Rather this option than swap out my main PSU with another one with dual 12VHPWR connector. I will have more PCIe cables this way and have huge power headroom to power up much more in my pc. And I don't want pay an arm and a leg for a SFX PSU. But it has to be quality. Failing PSU's tend to drag with the whole pc if it kneels/die. Not expensive and not too cheap. And with proper Amp for each PCIe connector from the PSU.

Again thanks bro Fox.

• Thumb Up 1

22 minutes ago, Papusan said:

But as I said... If I take out the 4090 and put in old cards with dual 8-pin I need to steal the 6-pin connector from the MB  to power the old GPUs. That may work. But the very best would be a 600W SFX PSU. Rather this option than swap out my main PSU with another one with dual 12VHPWR connector. I will have more PCIe cables this way and have huge power headroom to power up much more in my pc. And I don't want pay an arm and a leg for a SFX PSU. But it has to be quality. Failig PSU's tend to drag with the whole pc if it fails. Not expensive and not too cheap. And with proper Amp for each PCIe line out connecto from the PSU.

Yes, I think adding a second PSU is a better option. Both of us have cases that support dual PSU. You could also run the 4090 HOF off of the second PSU or the mobo off of the SFX PSU if you wanted to, and still have plenty of legacy PCIe cables available for older GPUs and not have to disconnect anything. As long as both of the PSUs have more than enough capacity to support what they are attached to you're good. Running the GPU from a dedicated PSU is never a bad idea. Most people do not have cases that support dual PSU installation. 

My case will support dual full-size ATX PSUs, but I am using the spare PSU bay to support the water cooling lines. I installed bulkhead G1/4 pass-through fittings with QDC fittings and ball valves mounted on a thick aluminum plate that is screwed in place where the second PSU would be installed.

image.png.919599dcfa2eb848d113ea1c6cf0b3b9.png

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Reciever said:

My EVGA 550w did fine for the 3090 but keep in mind I locked it to 1v which translated roughly to 350w or so, still use it on my Am4 system with a 2700x and 5700XT. I pushed 325w-350w on the 5700XT as well on it. EVGA makes a solid PSU 🙂

I think the old card can drag up to 400W in bench. And I want headroom from the PSU. Hence 600w. I don't bother with efficency standard Gold, purple or yeallow but don't want a PSU that have to use +70% to power only the old GPU's.

Then you have the PSU form factor... SFX is in smaller design and intended often for weak and flimsy hardware. You need to go up on wattage. I would never trust 500w PSU in a small design delivering 400W stable power. They are often made for weak HW that don't max out the PSU.

Yes, I think adding a second PSU is a better option. Both of us have cases that support dual PSU. You could also run the 4090 HOF off of the second PSU or the mobo off of the SFX PSU if you wanted to, and still have plenty of legacy PCIe cables available for older GPUs and not have to disconnect anything. As long as both of the PSUs have more than enough capacity to support what they are attached to you're good. Running the GPU from a dedicated PSU is never a bad idea. Most people do not have cases that support dual PSU installation.

I already have the needed dual 16-pin cables from Be Quiet. And its +1500w Platinum and very good quality product. Have even more spare power than 1600W Evga.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Reciever said:

My EVGA 550w did fine for the 3090 but keep in mind I locked it to 1v which translated roughly to 350w or so, still use it on my Am4 system with a 2700x and 5700XT. I pushed 325w-350w on the 5700XT as well on it. EVGA makes a solid PSU 🙂

Yes, everything EVGA makes is top notch. A 550W PSU is adequate for a lot of applications that do not involve overclocking and overvolting of components that are notorious for being power hungry running stock. For most typical uses you would not exhaust the 550W PSU capacity.

image.png.25c95447a0fcc420a560da4121bc2679.png

• Thumb Up 2

18 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Yes, I think adding a second PSU is a better option.

I could svap out my PSU with my son's AX1500i Digital ATX Power Supply — 1500 Watt

But then I have to pay for two 12VHPWR cables, wait on them, and get less power headroom than with dual PSU system. Choices, but I think dual PSU fits my needs better.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Papusan said:

I think the old card can drag up to 400W in bench. And I want headroom from the PSU. Hence 600w. I don't bother with efficency standard Gold, purple or yeallow but don't want a PSU that have to use +70% to power only the old GPU's.

Then you have the PSU form factor... SFX is in smaller design and intended often for weak and flimsy hardware. You need to go up on wattage. I would never trust 500w PSU in a small design delivering 400W stable. They are often made for weak HW that don't max out the PSU.

I already have the needed dual 16-pin cables from Be Quiet. And its +1500w Platinum and very good quality product. Have even more spare power than 1600W Evga.

Ah I misunderstood, I thought this would be internal as a supplement PSU, otherwise, why bother? Just get an appropriate PSU 🙂

14 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Yes, everything EVGA makes is top notch. A 550W PSU is adequate for a lot of applications that do not involve overclocking and overvolting of components that are notorious for being power hungry running stock. For most typical uses you would not exhaust the 550W PSU capacity.

image.png.25c95447a0fcc420a560da4121bc2679.png

It was the daily driver system, so mostly just video games. I did bench the 5700xt on it just fine for about 350w through the 8-pin's. I misunderstood the intent here, though this would be internal in the case for the some reason.

• Thumb Up 2

1 hour ago, Reciever said:

Ah I misunderstood, I thought this would be internal as a supplement PSU, otherwise, why bother? Just get an appropriate PSU 🙂

It was the daily driver system, so mostly just video games. I did bench the 5700xt on it just fine for about 350w through the 8-pin's. I misunderstood the intent here, though this would be internal in the case for the some reason.

Yep, need more PCIe connectors. And the choice is between swap out what I have or mount in an second PSU. 

A second PSU will give me loads of cables and power headroom over ecual powered PSU (with dual Nvidia connector) as I already have. And a smaller SFX psu should be a lot cheaper.

Saw this... from Tomshardware

Corsair SF750 Review

Will check the price. Not keen pay overprice. Edit. 195$ 😞

And the second choice from Tomshardware... Not so much cheapar (18$) Corsair SF600 Platinum

1 hour ago, Papusan said:

I could svap out my PSU with my son's AX1500i Digital ATX Power Supply — 1500 Watt

But then I have to pay for two 12VHPWR cables, wait on them, and get less power headroom than with dual PSU system. Choices, but I think dual PSU fits my needs better.

75$ thanks. + shipping. Total $85

https://www.digitalimpuls.no/corsair/151909/corsair-600w-gen5-svart--12vhpwr-psu-kabel-sleeved

And I already have two for the Be Quiet Dark Pro PSU. Then I have 180A 170A or +2000W output power from this PSU. Can't beat that. Only the end of the 12VHPWR cable will be a bit hot, HaHa

image.thumb.png.eb438be9a33d3232d77629638ee19524.png

I also made caps I use to protect the flimsy 12VHPWR connectors when I swap out the new with older graphics cards. Maybe not needed, but better safe than sorry. And I enjoy also the old, so...

image.png.acbf60c837e81d097267cbe171d3defe.png

2 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

I almost pulled the trigger on a MSI Trio from Best Buy for $1600 and ready for pickup today, but decided that chances of me being happy with it are probably very slim. It's pretty wimpy in terms of power delivery, unlike the Strix and Suprim. The Strix and Suprim and HOF are the only 4090 GPUs built better than the FE. All others are weaker than the FE.

And maybe a couple of other 4090 models. But this show how Nvidia deal with its partners. They upping their quality (probably got good deals with the components makers+own free best binned chips) and with time will steal more and more from their "valuable" customers/PARNERS. It's very bad when the AIC partners can't compete with it's own mother (just look at EVGA). Hence they have to go with the absolute cheaper/trash solutions. As long they offer bling bling and lots of aRGB I think the gamer is happy as is.

• Thumb Up 1