NotebookTalk

*Official Benchmark Thread* - Post it here or it didn't happen :D

Mr. Fox

@electrosoft another weird occurrence with my bios/board. If I forget to enable a setting after a cmos reset, it will error with A6, and I will have to reset it again. In other words, if I originally forgot to set memory context restore to enabled, simply enabling it will result in an A6 error, forcing me to reset it again. I must do all of my bios settings at once. If I change anything afterwards, it refuses to post. Must be something to do with the newer bios? I've got everything set the way I want, except memory timings, but if I go in and try to change anything, it will error, and not post.

• Sad 3

Lian Li Lancool III | Ryzen 9 7950X | 48gb G-skill Trident Z5 DDR5 8000mhz | MSI Mpg X670E Carbon |

AsRock Taichi Radeon 7900xtx Bykski Block |Raijintek Scylla Pro 360 custom loop| Crucial T700 1tb

WD Black's SN770 500gb/1tb NVME | Toshiba 8Tb 7200rpm Data |

EVGA 1000w SuperNova |32" Agon 1440p 165hz Curved Screen |  Windows 10 LoT 21h2

10 hours ago, Papusan said:

Btw. Did you test the two latet bios version for the Encore? 0904 and Beta 1001

I did not. Have you tried them? I saw they update the Intel ME again with no path back like you would have if they ran a good ship like EVGA used to. If you have, was the result good or not? I have no interest in being a crash test dummy for the retards at ASUS and I don't give a rat's butt about security updates. If it doesn't improve performance and enhance overclocking (they always say that  even when it does not to trick the sheeple) then I don't want/need it.

• Like 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO

Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Antec C8

Spectre // Z790i Edge | 14900KF | 3090 Ti FTW3 | 48GB DDR5-8200 | RM1000e | EK Nucleus CR360 Direct Die || Prime A21

Methuselah // X79 Rampage IV Gene | Xeon E5 1680V2 | 2080 Ti | 32GB DDR3-2400 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201

Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | 4K Display | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb | Nothing to Write Home About

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second. 

2 hours ago, Raiderman said:

@electrosoft another weird occurrence with my bios/board. If I forget to enable a setting after a cmos reset, it will error with A6, and I will have to reset it again. In other words, if I originally forgot to set memory context restore to enabled, simply enabling it will result in an A6 error, forcing me to reset it again. I must do all of my bios settings at once. If I change anything afterwards, it refuses to post. Must be something to do with the newer bios? I've got everything set the way I want, except memory timings, but if I go in and try to change anything, it will error, and not post.

I have never encountered that changing settings piece meal but I haven't installed the newest BIOS yet just the previous beta. I was going to update this afternoon and give it a whirl.

Was this happening to you on previous bioses or just this newest one?

-----------------------------------

Cache is king and scarily so. For me, this is shown in Fallout 76 where it absolutely loves that cache and the older FO engine can basically fit inside of it at all times producing a scary performance leap over Intel.

I would love to see Intel somehow integrate an X3D type stack on their chips comparable to AMD:

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

MelMel:  AMD Ryzen 5 7600x | Asus B650 Prime | Powercolor Spectra White 7900XTX | Asus Ryugin III 240mm AIO | M-die 2x16GB Custom | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | EVGA P2 850w | Hyte Y40 | BenQ 32" 4k
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition

I can say I definitely trust modern OLED pretty good now. When I first bought this refurbished Aorus 48” OLED monitor it had exactly 38 hours on it. But I am about to cross the 1,000 hour threshold. I always let it run the panel protection features every 4 hours of constant on time. (This alerts you automatically, but some people ignore it) my windows also turns off my monitor after 5 minutes of idle usage. Never had a single problem with burn-in. This monitor is as gorgeous as ever. Just figured I’d share if anyone is considering grabbing an OLED. I plan to push this panel to 10K hours and beyond. 😃

The last picture is an example of how the blacks are. It looks like an actual BLACK. It really is cool. 

IMG-3537.png

IMG-3538.jpg

IMG-3435.jpg

IMG-3437.jpg

• Thumb Up 2
  • Bump 2

13900KF

1 hour ago, electrosoft said:

I have never encountered that changing settings piece meal but I haven't installed the newest BIOS yet just the previous beta. I was going to update this afternoon and give it a whirl.

Was this happening to you on previous bioses or just this newest one?

-----------------------------------

Cache is king and scarily so. For me, this is shown in Fallout 76 where it absolutely loves that cache and the older FO engine can basically fit inside of it at all times producing a scary performance leap over Intel.

I would love to see Intel somehow integrate an X3D type stack on their chips comparable to AMD:

I am still on the beta version. I have not updated yet. I will do that now, and see what happens. It never happened on the previous bios versions. As you may recall, this board is a bit flaky. May go the AsRock Taichi, next go around.

• Bump 1

Lian Li Lancool III | Ryzen 9 7950X | 48gb G-skill Trident Z5 DDR5 8000mhz | MSI Mpg X670E Carbon |

AsRock Taichi Radeon 7900xtx Bykski Block |Raijintek Scylla Pro 360 custom loop| Crucial T700 1tb

WD Black's SN770 500gb/1tb NVME | Toshiba 8Tb 7200rpm Data |

EVGA 1000w SuperNova |32" Agon 1440p 165hz Curved Screen |  Windows 10 LoT 21h2

3 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

I did not. Have you tried them? I saw they update the Intel ME again with no path back like you would have if they ran a good ship like EVGA used to. If you have, was the result good or not? I have no interest in being a crash test dummy for the retards at ASUS and I don't give a rat's butt about security updates. If it doesn't improve performance and enhance overclocking (they always say that  even when it does not to trick the sheeple) then I don't want/need it.

Nope. I don't want be their unpaid guinea pig. But I see the beta bios have changed to official 1002 firmware now. For the ME I think it's the same version as the release for the Encore. If you installed 0080 I mean you already have ME 16.1.30.2307 installed

• Sad 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

I’m becoming an MSI fanboy, it’s terrible because it can cloud your judgement! But everything I have owned MSI is amazing. My prior MSI Unify-X Z690, and this MSI Suprim 4080 is just ridiculously good. I can’t explain why it’s so great but this might just be one of the best out of box video cards I have owned in an long while, and that’s even with the 20% premium over the Founders Edition. 🤷‍♂️

I hope MSI gets back in to the (2) Dimm motherboard game again. Being that we have 2x24GB and 2x48GB, I see no reason for (4) Dimm motherboards unless it’s a Godlike which I think is catered to workstation users? Anyways, I’d probably trade my Apex right on in for something like a Unify-X Z790

CAUTION: Mean MSI dragon below. 

IMG-3540.jpg

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Bump 1

13900KF

34 minutes ago, tps3443 said:

I’m becoming an MSI fanboy, it’s terrible because it can cloud your judgement! But everything I have owned MSI is amazing. My prior MSI Unify-X Z690, and this MSI Suprim 4080 is just ridiculously good. I can’t explain why it’s so great but this might just be one of the best out of box video cards I have owned in an long while, and that’s even with the 20% premium over the Founders Edition. 🤷‍♂️

I hope MSI gets back in to the (2) Dimm motherboard game again. Being that we have 2x24GB and 2x48GB, I see no reason for (4) Dimm motherboards unless it’s a Godlike which I think is catered to workstation users? Anyways, I’d probably trade my Apex right on in for something like a Unify-X Z790

CATION: Mean MSI dragon below. 

IMG-3540.jpg

I agree with you. MSI is going to be the new substitute for EVGA I think. I've never owned an MSI product that I can remember thinking was a piece of garbage. I hope Vince ends up going to work for them and they release Kingpin branded enthusiast components.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO

Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Antec C8

Spectre // Z790i Edge | 14900KF | 3090 Ti FTW3 | 48GB DDR5-8200 | RM1000e | EK Nucleus CR360 Direct Die || Prime A21

Methuselah // X79 Rampage IV Gene | Xeon E5 1680V2 | 2080 Ti | 32GB DDR3-2400 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201

Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | 4K Display | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb | Nothing to Write Home About

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second. 

On 2/22/2024 at 8:11 AM, Talon said:

New Nvidia Control Panel! It finally happened! 

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/software/nvidia-app/

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/nvidia-app-beta-download/

No login required and you get all the features of GeForce Experience. It's a in place replacement for both the Control Panel and GFE. And they officially added the new RTX HDR and RTX Vibrancy. I've been using RTX HDR (modded) version that leaked since last driver in my old games and it's incredible. You can just drop in HDR into almost any game and it looks far superior to Windows Auto HDR which only works in DX11/12. 

On 2/22/2024 at 8:21 AM, saturnotaku said:

The changes to the NVIDIA driver control panel and GeForce Experience are long overdue. Also good on them for removing the login requirement.

On 2/22/2024 at 9:26 AM, Mr. Fox said:

I will let it install and see if my benchmark scores go down like they used to. More processes running in Windows almost always equals lower benchmark scores. I'll find out and if I am wrong I will admit it without hesitation. It is entirely possible I am wrong and things may have improved. (That would be rare based on the current trend in technology, LOL. Not many things are getting better in terms of software and firmware cancer.) And, If I am not wrong, I will mention that as well.

I haven't gone deep into the performance impact evaluation, but I have this installed on my disposable Windows 11 crash dummy OS and trying to keep an open mind. But, I am trying to identify something about it that I like and so far I find more things about it annoying than useful. I am not sure I am going to make it long enough to even bother with the performance impact evaluation stage. I played several games today after installing it, and there were several things that I found obnoxious and unwelcomed. It has some features that remind me of some of the things I despised about AMD's driver control panel.

How do you (or can you) get the overlay to show more than a smidgen of useful info? I see nothing available for CPU that is meaningful and nothing for system memory, just a few basic GPU-related stats and CPU utilization. I don't understand why the overlay shows on the desktop unless you disable it. That is super annoying. It there a way to shut off the stupid feature toast notifications when launching a game, like how to enable Ansel and reminders for key combos like pressing Alt+Z? Intel has idiotic stuff like that in their Arc drivers, but it is very easy to find them and kill them. 

As it stands right now, I am praying this crappy app does not become a total replacement for NVIDIA Control Panel. They could/should make it optional for the people that like it, but if I have to use this to do what I use NVIDIA Control Panel for now, I am not going to be very happy about that.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

I haven't gone deep into the performance impact evaluation, but I have this installed on my disposable Windows 11 crash dummy OS and trying to keep an open mind. But, I am trying to identify something about it that I like and so far I find more things about it annoying than useful. I am not sure I am going to make it long enough to even bother with the performance impact evaluation stage. I played several games today after installing it, and there were several things that I found obnoxious and unwelcomed. It has some features that remind me of some of the things I despised about AMD's driver control panel.

How do you (or can you) get the overlay to show more than a smidgen of useful info? I see nothing available for CPU that is meaningful and nothing for system memory, just a few basic GPU-related stats and CPU utilization. I don't understand why the overlay shows on the desktop unless you disable it. That is super annoying. It there a way to shut off the stupid feature toast notifications when launching a game, like how to enable Ansel and reminders for key combos like pressing Alt+Z? Intel has idiotic stuff like that in their Arc drivers, but it is very easy to find them and kill them. 

As it stands right now, I am praying this crappy app does not become a total replacement for NVIDIA Control Panel. They could/should make it optional for the people that like it, but if I have to use this to do what I use NVIDIA Control Panel for now, I am not going to be very happy about that.

Just use Alt+R to quickly turn the Nvidia OSD on or off in game or on the desktop.
I primarily use it in games for the 99% low feature. It helps me to check memory overclocks to make sure I’m not losing performance with too tight of ram timings etc. And it won’t cause a hit to your GPU usage like MSI Afterburner or HWinfo can. It’s nothing super fancy, but it works. 

• Like 1

13900KF

2 hours ago, tps3443 said:

As I mentioned in older posts.... I think we will see more 2 dimm boards forwards. And this helps on this as well.  

However, bigger things are coming. Memory manufacturers are preparing their mainstream 64GB memory modules for prime time.

MSI brings 256GB RAM support on Intel and AMD motherboards

1 hour ago, Mr. Fox said:

Spot on. If this new fancy will be the only option I will go all in with Nvidia profile inpector. I have benched AMD card and I hate their fancy app/software. As you see... The new modern tech tend continue. I really hope Nvidia can make a slimmed down new fancy trashware.

2 hours ago, tps3443 said:

I’m becoming an MSI fanboy, it’s terrible because it can cloud your judgement! I can’t explain why it’s so great but this might just be one of the best out of box video cards I have owned in an long while, and that’s even with the 20% premium over the Founders Edition. 🤷‍♂️

You have the opposite experience vs me. I can't see any fantastic with the MSI products I have owned. And I talk about several GPU's. Remember I'm an collector and bencher. Not a gamer.

And why MSI scrapped 2 dimm boards after Z690 isn't a good move if you want sell products to those that enjoy benching/performance. A sucky move. Yup, they re- relased 2 dim board. But with baby design. This isn't what to expect from a brand that cater to oc'ers.

• Bump 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

55 minutes ago, tps3443 said:

Just use Alt+R to quickly turn the Nvidia OSD on or off in game or on the desktop.
I primarily use it in games for the 99% low feature. It helps me to check memory overclocks to make sure I’m not losing performance with too tight of ram timings etc. And it won’t cause a hit to your GPU usage like MSI Afterburner or HWinfo can. It’s nothing super fancy, but it works. 

I think you missed my question/problem. I want to disable the on-screen prompts that tell me things like you just said "Alt+R" for overlay. I DO NOT want to see those things appear on my screen when launching a game... ever. If I care about something like Ansel or ShadowPlay I will memorize the hotkeys for that and don't want to be nagged by crap appearing on my  screen.

But, I think I found a way to disable it in the settings. I need to test it to see if it killed that annoyance. The ability to turn off data collection is disabled, but I think I got everything else turned off.

This is a very childish Windows 10/11 "feature" that I disable in Windows as well. Toast notifications of any kind (like those in Windows Action Center) bug the ever-loving crap out of me.

19 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Spot on. If this new fancy will be the only option I will go all in with Nvidia profile inpector. I have benched AMD card and I hate their fancy app/software. As you see... The new modern tech tend continue. I really hope Nvidia can make a slimmed down new fancy trashware.

I already use NVIDIA Profile Inspector more often than NVIDIA Control Panel just because I always want the same settings and never want to change anything, so I apply an export of my Global profile after all of my customizations are applied and just apply that with Profile Inspector with a couple of mouse clicks. That's how I define easy. Much better than a gamer-centric bloated app that does things I don't care about.

I'm pretty sure this is also going to end up being chintzy UWP trash from Micro$lop Store once it is out of beta, just as they did with NVCP. It looks and feels like Windows Store trash already. I wish all of the regressions in PC tech would stop. All they do is look for ways screw things up. It makes the point-and-click kiddos and Windoze 10/11 smartphone OS Kool-Aid drinkers happy. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

I'm pretty sure this is also going to end up being chintzy UWP trash from Micro$lop Store once it is out of beta, just as they did with NVCP. It looks and feels like Windows Store trash already. I wish all of the regressions in PC tech would stop. All they do is look for ways screw things up. It makes the point-and-click kiddos and Windoze 10/11 Kool-Aid drinkers happy.

This is perverse. Who in their right mind can come up with something like this as an improvement? we talk about well paid engineers Disable "Show more options" context menu in Windows 11

And the HW manufacturers adopt exactly same stupid thinkings. And if I remember correctly.... Microsoft will with time handle all new drivers forwards from all HW companies. It will be worse bro Fox. A lot worse. And You don't need to look into a dummy books anymore. It will pop up directly on your screen. And AI will be in the kernel. So you can't stop it/disable it. I'm happy I am an older man.

Edit. Yum yum... More of the modern. This won't stop. 

The only caveat with this new on-the-fly Windows update feature is that it will enable Virtualization Based Security (VBS). If you are a gamer, there is a good chance you might have this feature turned off to boost system performance. Since it is a feature that is known to reduce performance slightly. Microsoft is currently testing its hot patching feature in the Windows 11 dev channel, but only with Windows Insiders with VBS enabled.

• Sad 1

Well, time for a new PSU. I think I’ll give MSI Meg unit a try 🤷‍♂️. I’m just ready to alleviate my self from all the coil whine I have been dealing with for years now on my EVGA units. 

I’m open to other suggestions though. 

Looking at this MSI 1000/1300 watt MEG Platinum rated units. It is $251 to $309. Looks like I will be able to skip the adapter too for my GPU and use the included native PCI-e Gen5 cable.

I’m definitely open to other options though. I just want a high quality and quiet power supply. 

https://us-store.msi.com/PC-Components/Power-Supply/Gaming-Power-Supplies/MEG-Ai1000P-PCIE5?sort=p.price&order=DESC

• Thumb Up 2

13900KF

1 hour ago, tps3443 said:

. Looks like I will be able to skip the adapter too for my GPU! 

Why you think Jonny Guru (edit... boss for PSU division) put an stopper for this for Corsair PSU'S ?

And the bend ratio is more strict for PSU's. They apply in all directions. + you get the flimsy hook also on the PSU panel. Double good? Nope. Double worse!

And ATX 3.0 is an old standard now. And don't offer CEM 5.1

Edit. Buy Corsair’s latest revision of HX1500.

• Thumb Up 1

31 minutes ago, tps3443 said:

Well, time for a new PSU. I think I’ll give MSI Meg unit a try 🤷‍♂️. I’m just ready to alleviate my self from all the coil whine I have been dealing with for years now on my EVGA units. 

I’m open to other suggestions though. 

Looking at this MSI 1000/1300 watt MEG Platinum rated units. It is $251 to $309. Looks like I will be able to skip the adapter too for my GPU and use the included native PCI-e Gen5 cable.

I’m definitely open to other options though. I just want a high quality and quiet power supply. 

https://us-store.msi.com/PC-Components/Power-Supply/Gaming-Power-Supplies/MEG-Ai1000P-PCIE5?sort=p.price&order=DESC

I bought a Thermaltake Toughpower 1650W PSU that has dual 12VHPWR connections. So far it has been awesome.

1 hour ago, Mr. Fox said:

But, I think I found a way to disable it in the settings. I need to test it to see if it killed that annoyance. The ability to turn off data collection is disabled, but I think I got everything else turned off.

Yes. That worked. Thankfully.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Papusan said:

You have the opposite experience vs me. I can't see any fantastic with the MSI products I have owned. And I talk about several GPU's. Remember I'm an collector and bencher. Not a gamer.

And why MSI scrapped 2 dimm boards after Z690 isn't a good move if you want sell products to those that enjoy benching/performance. A sucky move. Yup, they re- relased 2 dim board. But with baby design. This isn't what to expect from a brand that cater to oc'ers.

Hmmm. This is MSI…. They prefer casual gamers/gamer «kids». Their future. Of course they released a new 2 dimm mini board for the same audience and not a real ATX board for the enthusiasts. Yup, the tech trend continues. 

Facepalm: A controversial decision to limit firmware updates on some new MSI gaming monitors ticked off enthusiasts. However, casual gamers will likely flock to the display's impressive specs and affordable pricing.

https://www.techspot.com/news/102011-msi-new-monitors-cause-uproar-reddit-over-firmware.html

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Facepalm: A controversial decision to limit firmware updates on some new MSI gaming monitors ticked off enthusiasts. However, casual gamers will likely flock to the display's impressive specs and affordable pricing.

https://www.techspot.com/news/102011-msi-new-monitors-cause-uproar-reddit-over-firmware.html

That's just absurd, LOL. Why would they even care? I do not think that I have ever updated firmware on a monitor once in my entire life, and if the monitor is working correctly I cannot identify a reason anyone would lose any sleep over something so dumb. I mean, what is broken that they are hoping to fix? Nothing? OK then, no reason for them to ever update the firmware. Ever. Stupid.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

That's just absurd, LOL. Why would they even care? I do not think that I have ever updated firmware on a monitor once in my entire life, and if the monitor is working correctly I cannot identify a reason anyone would lose any sleep over something so dumb. I mean, what is broken that they are hoping to fix? Nothing? OK then, no reason for them to ever update the firmware. Ever. Stupid.

Main point.... No one should lock you out from flashing whatever firmeware you want. You have paid for the product. You yourself should be able to do whatever you want with your hardware

If this is the direction MSI want "for you" forwards... Then you know the outcome. And that's not a good thing.

Edit. You remember the black screen issues with AW and Clevo screens? How would it be if you couldn't flash new firmware? You was fully locked oth the way MSI want. That's disgusting.

• Thumb Up 1

11 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Main point.... No one should lock you out from flashing whatever firmeware you want. You have paid for the product. You yourself should be able to do whatever you want with your hardware

If this is the direction MSI want forwards... Then you know the outcome.

I agree with that based on principle. But, I read the article and did not see anything about that. The people that are whining are having a come undone (from what I can see) that MSI is not going to update the firmware. Maybe I skimmed too much and missed the complaint was relating to the denial of their autonomy to flash modded or foreign firmware if they feel like doing that.

Looks like a lot of people are asking the same question I did in the comments. (That being, who cares? Why does it matter? It's a monitor.) If it works as advertised end of discussion. No reason to update the firmware. If MSI is blocking modded firmware updates to their monitors, I don't like that conceptually and feel it is none of their business. They could deny warranty if someone bricked it, so it should not matter to MSI. But my question and opinion are the same. Who cares, and why? It's a monitor.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

I read the article and did not see anything about that. The people that are whining are having a come undone (from what I can see) that MSI is not going to update the firmware. Looks like a lot of people are asking the same question I did in the comments. (That being, who cares? Why does it matter? It's a monitor.) If it works as advertised end of discussion. No reason to update the firmware. If MSI is blocking modded firmware updates to their monitors, I don't like that conceptually and feel it is none of their business. They could deny warranty if someone bricked it, so it should not matter to MSI. But my question and opinion are the same. Who cares, and why? It's a monitor.

See my edit. If MSI want everything locked out you may risk have to buy a new screen. We could fix Dell's stupidity. But don't count on this next time.

And if this is the direction they want forwards... Be prepared for something much worse forwards.

Remember also... Only Asus software can fix MSI's stupidity locking you out from the voltage slider for older graphics cards.

19 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Edit. You remember the black screen issues with AW and Clevo screens? How would it be if you couldn't flash new firmware? You was fully locked oth the way MSI want. That's disgusting.

I've never seen such an issue on a desktop monitor, and there was always something goofy or stupid going on with Alienware and Clevo. The only reason the Clevos that we owned did not suck is because of @Prema. And, other than the goofy stuff we saw with those laptops, I have never seen anything like it before or after. If I remember correctly, this was a defect with the design of the laptops, not their screens. (The screens were damaged because the laptops were made in a defective manner that allowed the EDID to be corrupted by the laptop.) I also remember that the screens still worked with corrupted EDID EXCEPT FOR the laptops could not output to them because the laptops relied on the EDID and could not identify the screens after the EDID was changed (again a defect in laptop design).

• Thumb Up 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

If I remember correctly, this was a defect with the design of the laptops, not their screens. (The screens were damaged because the laptops were made in a defective manner that allowed the EDID to be corrupted by the laptop.)

Yup. And if they lock you out you are screwed if similar happens with whatever HW you own. See also my latest words in previous post. I'm happy with how MSI manage older HW? Nope. And it doesn't matter if you have some older AMD or Nvidia graphichs.

• Thumb Up 1

1 hour ago, Papusan said:

Yup. And if they lock you out you are screwed if similar happens with whatever HW. See also my latest words in previous post. I'm happy with how MSI manage older HW? Nope.

I am not disagreeing and find it objectionable to be denied the ability to do whatever I want to. But, the example of the one-off weird things that happened with Clevo and Alienware laptops does not seem to be what the people complaining are complaining about. The way I read it they were bent out of shape that MSI was not going to release firmware updates. I will go back and read it again in case I skimmed too much and they actually had a legitimate reason of some kind to worked up over it.

My point was, and still is, if the monitor works correctly I don't care if MSI, LG, Sony, Dell, AOC or any other monitor manufacturer ever releases a firmware update for it even once. I would not look for a firmware update and if I became aware of one I would not flash it if my monitor was working correctly.

Edit: Yeah, they expect MSI to release firmware UPDATES for the monitors. That's just stupid. That's a problem that isn't a problem. They just want something to mitch and boan about. Nothing is mentioned about being unable to re-flash the original firmware, only that MSI is not offering any "updates" or "limited" updates, LOL.

The gaming community has lashed out at MSI for not providing firmware updates for some models in its new lineup of QD-OLED gaming monitors. The company is preparing to launch MPG and MAG series monitors later this year, but a recent Reddit thread has exposed that not all models will receive support for firmware updates after purchase.

The news came from a pinned post on the OLED_Gaming subreddit from an MSI employee seeking to generate hype for the upcoming monitors. However, one detail raised some red flags: firmware updates through USB-B only support MPG monitors, not MAG models. When questioned further by commenters, the rep confirmed that two of the three MAG monitors – the 27-inch MAG271QPX and 34-inch MAG321UPX priced at $750 and $900, respectively – would not get any firmware updates at all after release.

MSI does not need to provide a mechanism for consumers to flash monitor firmware that doesn't belong on their monitors. Not providing an easy or convenient way for it to be done is not the same as interfering with it. Interfering or blocking it is evil. They're not doing that based on the article. The only reasons we were able to fix our Clevo and Alienware monitors was through unorthodox means. It wasn't because Clevo and Alienware were trying to prevent it, it was because they didn't have a fix for it.

image.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Papusan said:

Why you think Jonny Guru (edit... boss for PSU division) put an stopper for this for Corsair PSU'S ?

And the bend ratio is more strict for PSU's. They apply in all directions. + you get the flimsy hook also on the PSU panel. Double good? Nope. Double worse!

And ATX 3.0 is an old standard now. And don't offer CEM 5.1

Edit. Buy Corsair’s latest revision of HX1500.

This, I have the hx1500i and this thing is a monster, no coilwhine, no power fluctuations and dead quiet fan, when it's on.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Bump 1

7950X3D| Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo| MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi| Lian Li Galahad 360 V2| 32GB Kingston Renegade RGBZ 6000|Kingston KC3000 2TB| Fury Renegade 2TB|Samsung 970 Evo 1TB| Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo| Corsair HX1500i| Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo

Asus Zephyrus G15 (Ryzen 9 6900HS + RTX3080)