NotebookTalk

*Official Benchmark Thread* - Post it here or it didn't happen :D

Mr. Fox

26 minutes ago, electrosoft said:

Ugh, MSI is supposed to be right up there by Asus in regards to BIOS controls. One thing I can say about Asus is they really do give you the kitchen sink and then some. EVGA was up there too. I always considered MSI next but watching BZ flip around in Gigabyte's BIOS, it seems pretty competent these days too.

Asrock is missing a lot of fine/granular controls and I find their FIVR controls a bit lacking. So far, it is Asus and Gigabyte with the ultimate cut off valve for vrout max settings.

When it comes to games, I have always run a mix of configs allowing me to scale to the games demands and reap the rewards in clock settings. It lets me really wring out every last bit of performance per game from my chips without trying to implode them. 🙂

What I usually do is when I find a game or stressor I want/need to run, I will then adjust around it and create another profile tier to run. For example, WoW, Starfield and FO76, I can even get away with tuned/dialed in auto and run it up to 6ghz all core if I want but 5.9 is the perfect sweet spot. I could actually probably run FO76 6.1ghz all core most likely. CP2077 I can do 5.8 all core.

This Wukan benchmark? I had to go back and use my "big boy" profile at 5.6 which means I'll have to adjust up 5.7 and most likely 5.8 won't run but it might. 5.9 is definitely a pipe dream on my lidded AIO setup.

With that being said, I absolutely agree that real world stability is the best as it assures everything will run, but the cost is performance left on the table when a game can run more with less.

Did you ever find out what made your monitoring text turn color and what it meant when running this benchmark? I'm curious.

Do you have trouble with the Jedi Survivor game as well? Thats another CPU intensive one I think. 

13900KF

45 minutes ago, tps3443 said:

Do you have trouble with the Jedi Survivor game as well? Thats another CPU intensive one I think. 

I do not have that one. Is it free or is there a demo?

With adjustments (using my Y-cruncher/OCCT profile), Wukan works perfectly now. I just didn't know I was going to have to roll out the bigger guns profile to do it but it's understandable. Even thought it pulled only 226w max at 5.6 compiling shaders and running the demo, it still needs 1.31v set (down from 1.32v) and 1.184v under load to run. Hogwarts and Fortnite UE5 worked just fine but Wukan must have some special sauce mixed in. 🤣

• Thumb Up 1

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

MelMel:  AMD Ryzen 5 7600x | Asus B650 Prime | Powercolor Spectra White 7900XTX | Asus Ryugin III 240mm AIO | M-die 2x16GB Custom | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | EVGA P2 850w | Hyte Y40 | BenQ 32" 4k
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition

1 hour ago, electrosoft said:

Ugh, MSI is supposed to be right up there by Asus in regards to BIOS controls. One thing I can say about Asus is they really do give you the kitchen sink and then some. EVGA was up there too. I always considered MSI next but watching BZ flip around in Gigabyte's BIOS, it seems pretty competent these days too.

Asrock is missing a lot of fine/granular controls and I find their FIVR controls a bit lacking. So far, it is Asus and Gigabyte with the ultimate cut off valve for vrout max settings.

I gritted my teeth and flashed the new BIOS again and found that DTPF setting present where expected. No idea why it is not visible in the January BIOS. So, I was able to test this benchmark with the Intel Optimizer and found it provided no benefit. FPS were the same as without it and it made it feel like the FPS was lower due to some stuttering.  I hope I don't have the same issues with the M.2 port dropping out and the BIOS loading menus incorrectly. If that happens even once then it is back to the January BIOS. Crossing my fingers. So far, so good.

I do like that MSI does not interfere with flashing older firmware and does not bundle the ME firmware cancer with their BIOS updates. I love that it is my decision and not theirs and I hate that ASUS doesn't leave that decision entirely up to my own discretion. So, each brand has its pros and cons. ASUS gives a lot of options, but neglects a couple of things I consider super important. EVGA was the best.

If I were the king of the world and could do things my way, I would pick and choose the best each brand had to offer and reject their crap. There would be no restrictions on the choice of firmware versions that could be flashed, and no firmware signature crap. The BIOS would also include the ability to control the RGB/ARGB within the UEFI and eliminate the cancer software trash installed in the OS. Boards like the Apex wouldn't even have any RGB crap on them. I'd also shut down Micro$lop Store and ban the development of UWP smartphone app for PC filth.

• Thumb Up 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO

Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901

Spectre // Z790i Edge | 14900KF | 3090 Ti FTW3 | 48GB DDR5-8200 | RM1000e | EK Nucleus CR360 Direct Die || Prime A21

Methuselah // X79 Rampage IV Gene | Xeon E5 1680V2 | 2080 Ti | 32GB DDR3-2400 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201

Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | 4K Display | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb | Nothing to Write Home About

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second. 

Please delete. Thanks.

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

8 hours ago, ryan said:

Did another exhilarating flythrough, pity I had to blink a few times, had to of missed 3 or 4 frames ruining the overall showcase. good thing I didnt buy a desktop as you gents suggested, otherwise I would have missed this exhilarating ride.

what a rush

Screenshot-48.png

If you keep it yet another 1 or two years maybe you'll see 2-3 FPS in newest hard taxing games😎

They all want that you buy the newest flagship hardware available nowadays. Then start render it useless within next 2-3 years. All they want is all your hard earned money. 

Microsoft blocks trick that lets you install Windows 11 on older PCs

As usual no love for Gigabyte. 4090 or 4080 doesn't matter. I expect the same feelings for all their products.

And the future tech coming closer and closer... Mobile computing tech in desktops is exactly what the computer users need. Maximum power efficiency for your homebuild desktop computer.  Nice.

Intel to reunite its laptop and desktop architectures in 2026

• Like 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

4 hours ago, Papusan said:

If you keep it yet another 1 or two years maybe you'll see 2-3 FPS in newest hard taxing games😎

They all want that you buy the newest flagship hardware available nowadays. Then start render it useless within next 2-3 years. All they want is all your hard earned money. 

Microsoft blocks trick that lets you install Windows 11 on older PCs

As usual no love for Gigabyte. 4090 or 4080 doesn't matter. I expect the same feelings for all their products.

And the future tech coming closer and closer... Mobile computing tech in desktops is exactly what the computer users need. Maximum power efficiency for your homebuild desktop computer.  Nice.

Intel to reunite its laptop and desktop architectures in 2026

I hope my 4090 holds up. It is under warranty at least. But who wants to deal with that. Anyways, that one in the video has the old PCI-e slot tail hook which was definitely a big no no on these.. It's like 16ft long.

HZznM2G.png

• Thumb Up 2

13900KF

42 minutes ago, tps3443 said:

I hope my 4090 holds up. It is under warranty at least. But who wants to deal with that. Anyways, that one in the video has the old PCI-e slot tail hook which was definitely a big no no on these.. It's like 16ft long.

HZznM2G.png

Both of us have the updated PCB design without that weakened hook area.

• Thumb Up 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO

Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901

Spectre // Z790i Edge | 14900KF | 3090 Ti FTW3 | 48GB DDR5-8200 | RM1000e | EK Nucleus CR360 Direct Die || Prime A21

Methuselah // X79 Rampage IV Gene | Xeon E5 1680V2 | 2080 Ti | 32GB DDR3-2400 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201

Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | 4K Display | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb | Nothing to Write Home About

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second. 

30 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Both of us have the updated PCB design without that weakened hook area.

I had to put a paper towel on mine to cover that backplate cutout. Otherwise it blast my ram with hot air and makes them sweat. it doesn’t seem to make the card any warmer. 

IMG-4213.jpg
IMG-4212.jpg

• Thumb Up 2
  • Haha 3

13900KF

17 hours ago, electrosoft said:

Yeah, the power draw is one thing but having to actually use my Y-cruncher/OCCT profile to get it to run for a game benchmark is crazy. Using my other settings, it would just exit out before it even got to the shaders compiler screen. I'll have to go back in and figure out where 5.7 and 5.8 can get it to run too unless the pull/heat gets a little too much for my modest setup.

15 hours ago, tps3443 said:

Real world stability testing is always the best. These modern games are stout. People use to pick on the idea of using games as stability testing. Now most of the time systems can pass through stability testing and fail to run games lol. 

12 hours ago, electrosoft said:

With adjustments (using my Y-cruncher/OCCT profile), Wukan works perfectly now. I just didn't know I was going to have to roll out the bigger guns profile to do it but it's understandable. Even thought it pulled only 226w max at 5.6 compiling shaders and running the demo, it still needs 1.31v set (down from 1.32v) and 1.184v under load to run. Hogwarts and Fortnite UE5 worked just fine but Wukan must have some special sauce mixed in. 🤣

Not everyone that have an Y-cruncher/OCCT profile ready for the new game😁

• Thumb Up 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, tps3443 said:

I had to put a paper towel on mine to cover that backplate cutout. Otherwise it blast my ram with hot air and makes them sweat. it doesn’t seem to make the card any warmer. 

IMG-4213.jpg
IMG-4212.jpg

You should put something like this on it to allow air flow but direct it away from the system, either toward the ceiling or forward (into the room) and away from the bench. You could attach it with double-sided rubber tape or even use adhesive magnets if the backplate is not aluminum. It would look nice and probably be better for cooling. You could also attach it with a bead of T-7000 adhesive, which would be strong enough to hold it forever, but not so permanent that you could not remove it later if you wanted to.

https://www.amazon.com/ORLANG-Marine-Louvered-Mounting-Suitable/dp/B0CS61SZ9K?th=1

61GYpWMlgeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Bump 1

58 minutes ago, Papusan said:

I already knew this was gonna give people trouble after seeing the 297 watt with my chip at 5.9-6.2/4.8E/5.0R. I am using bios 9901 with Micro code 0123. The shader compiles are getting intense these days.

25 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

You should put something like this on it to allow air flow but direct it away from the system, either toward the ceiling or forward (into the room) and away from the bench. You could attach it with double-sided rubber tape or even use adhesive magnets if the backplate is not aluminum. It would look nice and probably be better for cooling. You could also attach it with a bead of T-7000 adhesive, which would be strong enough to hold it forever, but not so permanent that you could not remove it later if you wanted to.

https://www.amazon.com/ORLANG-Marine-Louvered-Mounting-Suitable/dp/B0CS61SZ9K?th=1

61GYpWMlgeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I might try something like that. But it seems happy how it is. It’s not blocked completely, it’s just a barrier and it forces the air to travel in a horizontal direction up through the fins and out the side or horizontal between the paper towel and the GPU back plate. Before it was blowing vertical right to my system ram which was causing sweating randomly if humidity was high. My Suprim-X did not have a cut out. So I don’t think it’s even needed. 

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

13900KF

@Papusan didn't your clevo 980 hold up for 5 years? I was really hoping for five years but its tanking on games that are coming out, that 4fps was at 1080p. I mean even @Premas 4090 was tanking at max settings...do we have to buy every year, the graphics are twice as demanding but don't look twice as good.

• Like 2

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

41 minutes ago, ryan said:

@Papusan didn't your clevo 980 hold up for 5 years? I was really hoping for five years but its tanking on games that are coming out, that 4fps was at 1080p. I mean even @Premas 4090 was tanking at max settings...do we have to buy every year, the graphics are twice as demanding but don't look twice as good.

Yup. New times and nvidia will release new cards every year forwards. But I expect a new release then the next year somewhat re-hashed gaming cards. Milk while you can. The old fashion Intel way.

See also.... The well written letter from Jensen😁

To meet demand we in nvidia have found out that we will only supply more GDDR6X chips for the custom made 4090(D) graphics cards made from 3090Ti PCB with wopping 48GB vram for China (also the more expensive SKUs will continue have GDDR6X). But You sucky gamerboy loosers buying cheapo 4070 need to accept cheaper oc'd GDDR6. Aka you will miss out on vram overclocking. Because we in Nvidia have determed to steal all the OC headroom for mentioned slow 18 Gbps vram. So you'll get 2 Gbps extra for "free" from us in Nvidia. Hence the "fake" 20 Gbps vram moniker. They are already oc'd so don't bother try eak out more performance. Mvh Jensen

NVIDIA introduces GeForce RTX 4070 with GDDR6 memory, offering ‘similar’ performance to GDDR6X version

GeForce RTX 4070 With GDDR6 To improve supply and availability to meet strong demand, we’re introducing the GeForce RTX 4070 with extra fast GDDR6 memory. All of the other specs remain the same. It offers similar performance in games and applications.

Yup, extra fast GDDR6 memory just means what it is.... Overclocked vram out from the factory. Nice. Not everyday you get already oc'd hardware with nothing left in the tank.

Because average gamer boys don't need the more expensive memory chips for their cheapo cards... NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090D with 48GB and RTX 4080 with 32GB vram. That's for the rich + AI. Not for sucky loosers try saving money.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This IMC and bios 9901 on my Apex are really a killer combo. This is the profile I was using in the Wukong benching and have been using it daily. PS: My Windows is not very well optimized it is fully bloated. So, these numbers on someone else's system would probably be even better. 

MpXnUp3.png

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1
  • Bump 1

13900KF

2 hours ago, Papusan said:

With the way I tier my profiles based on power requirements for games to boost my clocks and scale, it will quickly show which games are sucking down the most power and require higher tier/lower clock settings on my modest AIO setup.

This was the first game I ran into that all my previous auto/lower power tiers crashed. This was even before it could get to any type of shader loading even. Shaders just kicked it up a notch.

I had no problems running it on my 4090/7900xtx and 7950x3d/14900ks (post miser power acknowledgement lol).

Oh, and happy birthday @Papusan! Hope it was a good one and here's to many more brother!

1 hour ago, tps3443 said:

I already knew this was gonna give people trouble after seeing the 297 watt with my chip at 5.9-6.2/4.8E/5.0R. I am using bios 9901 with Micro code 0123. The shader compiles are getting intense these days.

True, but unfortunately joe user isn't going to know what or how to handle it and either refund the game or blame the hardware that might be unstable on many fronts. Me personally? I like tinkering and figuring out wth is going on. 🙂

297w on your setup is serious for a game, yikes. This might be a good wake up call for Intel and to an extend AMD going forward to maybe not push their chips so hard trying to one up each other and get back to static, realistic settings.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

MelMel:  AMD Ryzen 5 7600x | Asus B650 Prime | Powercolor Spectra White 7900XTX | Asus Ryugin III 240mm AIO | M-die 2x16GB Custom | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | EVGA P2 850w | Hyte Y40 | BenQ 32" 4k
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition

1 hour ago, electrosoft said:

With the way I tier my profiles based on power requirements for games to boost my clocks and scale, it will quickly show which games are sucking down the most power and require higher tier/lower clock settings on my modest AIO setup.

This was the first game I ran into that all my previous auto/lower power tiers crashed. This was even before it could get to any type of shader loading even. Shaders just kicked it up a notch.

I had no problems running it on my 4090/7900xtx and 7950x3d/14900ks (post miser power acknowledgement lol).

Oh, and happy birthday @Papusan! Hope it was a good one and here's to many more brother!

True, but unfortunately joe user isn't going to know what or how to handle it and either refund the game or blame the hardware that might be unstable on many fronts. Me personally? I like tinkering and figuring out wth is going on. 🙂

297w on your setup is serious for a game, yikes. This might be a good wake up call for Intel and to an extend AMD going forward to maybe not push their chips so hard trying to one up each other and get back to static, realistic settings.

Yep, R23 only uses like 25 more watts, it’s the games lately honestly they do this shader compiling, they didn’t always do this. 🤣

Also, if you run in to this error in the future ram stability can cause the error too.

• Like 1

13900KF

Benching first gaming second lol..paps where's that funny pic..honestly I don't see anything wrong with gaming or going as far as to say gaming is for losers..pretty much everyone with a computer has gamed at one point, I think it's true things have changed so much it kinda does cater to the fringe but once every 10 years a game comes out worth playing. For me that will be gta 6..going on killing sprees then fleeing the police never gets old...but honestly the new kids playing roblox and Pokémon. I get why you'd think that when an adult does the same thing that they are either well u know..

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

44 minutes ago, ryan said:

Benching first gaming second lol..paps where's that funny pic..honestly I don't see anything wrong with gaming or going as far as to say gaming is for losers..pretty much everyone with a computer has gamed at one point, I think it's true things have changed so much it kinda does cater to the fringe but once every 10 years a game comes out worth playing. For me that will be gta 6..going on killing sprees then fleeing the police never gets old...but honestly the new kids playing roblox and Pokémon. I get why you'd think that when an adult does the same thing that they are either well u know..

I view gaming as an extended form of benching. I pay as much attention to my system as I do the game. I own games that I do not like and having no interest in playing simply for the included benchmark. I love it when a game dev releases a free standalone benchmark tool like the one we are playing with because then I have no reason to purchase the game. It looks beautiful, but I can say with a fair level of confidence that I would not like playing the actual game. This applies also to the Final Fantasy benchmarks. You could not even pay me to play those games. On top of being subscription-based I think they are icky, (based on genre and gameplay style,) but the free standalone benchmarks are fun to run.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

I view gaming as an extended form of benching. I pay as much attention to my system as I do the game. I own games that I do not like and having no interest in playing simply for the included benchmark. I love it when a game dev releases a free standalone benchmark tool like the one we are playing with because then I have no reason to purchase the game. It looks beautiful, but I can say with a fair level of confidence that I would not like playing the actual game. This applies also to the Final Fantasy benchmarks. You could not even pay me to play those games. On top of being subscription-based I think they are icky, (based on genre and gameplay style,) but the free standalone benchmarks are fun to run.

The free benchmark is fantastic. It lets people see the game run and work. And we can see how it performs on our system. Games are expensive. Imagine how many refunds are issued over someone randomly buying a game, and then they aren’t happy with it due to performance issues, or not even launching/working all together. 

I may buy the game and play it, I never throw $60 bucks at a game unless it’s something I have been anticipating or really want. I have difficulty staying focused on games lately though, it has to be a really good game. I’ve just become obsessed with cpu/ram overclocking. I could get by with an iGPU for most of my work at home in all honesty. 

You know, another thing I really want is the current and future Apex boards allowing us to use the iGPU. The iGPU depends on fast system memory and what better motherboard than an Apex to use it on. That would be so to just all out full overclock and bench the Intel iGPU. And I can’t even use mine. 

Stalker 2, and Kingdome Come Deliverance 2 are coming this year and very soon! Both titles will push high end parts. I can’t wait for either. I plan to take a week off work for either title 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

13900KF

I tested Wukong on the 2080 Ti and it is interesting. It works better than I expected it to and it appears the old Xeon has plenty of juice to not be a bottleneck to the GPU.  The CPU was generally 25~35% utilization and the GPU at or close to 100%. And, the graphics look good no matter what level of detail or quality preset. Hard for me to see any difference except with ray tracing disabled. Then it does lose some quality, but still looks very good. Hardly any difference between FSR and TSR that I can see.

94-106-70-FPS-RTOFF.jpg

53-63-45-FPS-RTLOW.jpg

52-65-42-FPS-RTMED.jpg

51-62-40-FPS-RTMED.jpg

50-61-40-FPS-RTMED.jpg

50-61-34-FPS-RTMED.jpg

45-58-27-FPS-RTMED.jpg

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1
  • Bump 1

I basically do the same thing, benchmark games.. because I'm on a laptop, I'm monitoring temps as well.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

1 hour ago, Mr. Fox said:

I tested Wukong on the 2080 Ti and it is interesting. It works better than I expected it to and it appears the old Xeon has plenty of juice to not be a bottleneck to the GPU.  The CPU was generally 25~35% utilization and the GPU at or close to 100%. And, the graphics look good no matter what level of detail or quality preset. Hard for me to see any difference except with ray tracing disabled. Then it does lose some quality, but still looks very good. Hardly any difference between FSR and TSR that I can see.

94-106-70-FPS-RTOFF.jpg

53-63-45-FPS-RTLOW.jpg

52-65-42-FPS-RTMED.jpg

51-62-40-FPS-RTMED.jpg

50-61-40-FPS-RTMED.jpg

50-61-34-FPS-RTMED.jpg

45-58-27-FPS-RTMED.jpg

Things start getting sketchy and the 2080 Ti starts showing its age with Super Resolution at 100%, which is tough even for the 4090. Basically nothing can produce a smooth experience cranks up like that. Even so, with everything maxed out it still performs stronger than I expected it to. It would not be a good gaming experience (slideshow)... but still... just saying...

One thing I did not expect is that with RT turned off the GPU power increased by about 50W. Because there was not a pronounced difference in the image quality, I am assuming this is because 100% of the workload shifts to the rendering cores and the tensor cores take a nap. If that is the correct explanation it makes sense, but I would have assumed that ray tracing enabled would increase the power utilization.. It seems to balance it out and relieve some stress on the GPU core.

47-55-41.jpg

45-52-39.jpg

28-32-23.jpg27-35-23.jpg

27-35-21.jpg

18-24-13.jpg

15-21-11.jpg

• Thumb Up 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Fox said:

94-106-70-FPS-RTOFF.jpg

53-63-45-FPS-RTLOW.jpg

52-65-42-FPS-RTMED.jpg

51-62-40-FPS-RTMED.jpg

50-61-40-FPS-RTMED.jpg

50-61-34-FPS-RTMED.jpg

45-58-27-FPS-RTMED.jpg

I’d personally rather run DLSS2 at a lower percentage scale without FG, than FG+FSR at a higher percentage scale. The AMD FSR is not very good in my opinion.  It does that shimmer effect that immediately gives away the fact we are using scaling. 

The 2080Ti is still a great GPU though. I would give Battlefield 2042 a test with that combination on a 128 multiplayer server. That would really interesting to see. Also, Death Stranding is another game that loves CPU cores! (no matter how many you have lol) It was the only title to push a 7980XE to 100% on all 36 threads long before games were all using 8/16 with my 3090 Kingpin and 2560x1440P lol. Those Sony ports are always the best when it comes to using hardware properly and optimization. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Bump 1

13900KF

Hey y'all. If any of you are still into notebooks at all, I made a post in the components section you may be interested in. Just giving a bit of a heads up in here =D

44 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

One thing I did not expect is that with RT turned off the GPU power increased by about 50W. Because there was not a pronounced difference in the image quality, I am assuming this is because 100% of the workload shifts to the rendering cores and the tensor cores take a nap. If that is the correct explanation it makes sense, but I would have assumed that ray tracing enabled would increase the power utilization.. It seems to balance it out and relieve some stress on the GPU core.

This is probably because this game is always raytraced. When you turn off RT, you're turning off hardware raytracing which is accelerated, and swapping it with an inferior software raytracing called Lumen, which probably explains why the GPU is suddenly working harder.

25 minutes ago, tps3443 said:

I’d personally rather run DLSS2 at a lower percentage scale without FG, than FG+FSR at a higher percentage scale. The AMD FSR is not very good in my opinion.  It does that shimmer effect that immediately gives away the fact we are using scaling. 

There is a nexus mods mod which allows you to turn on FSR 3's frame gen while using DLSS, because FSR 3.1 FG is naturally capable of being decoupled from actually using FSR as an upscaler. You could try that. I don't know if it works perfectly or not, though, but I know it exists (and actually the mod exists for a few other games, so you could always look it up for them too)

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1
  • Bump 2

I have a desktop now!

i5-13600K @ 5.2GHz || ASUS Strix Z690-F || RTX 3080 FE 10GB (+175MHz/+1100MHz daily driver) || 32GB 6000MHz 38-38-38-77 || AK620 CPU cooler || XV272U V 1440p 170Hz || Fractal Design Pop Air || WD Black SN850X 2TB

I tried the nexus mod. Works well aka looks good, as for gains it's decent. I can't run black myth at 4k unless I use like 25 percent scaling, I guess it's mainly for the heavy hitters and their 4090s. I can't see a 4070 or 4060 running this game even at 1440p unless everything is turned off.. either way I will say it's a better benchmark than steel nomad

• Like 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled