NotebookTalk

*Official Benchmark Thread* - Post it here or it didn't happen :D

Mr. Fox

the prices are msrp. they are not good not bad about where they should be. USA prices are cheaper with the conversion but I cant change that. what would it cost you in usd for a decent 3060ti rig? or something thats capable of 4k gaming

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

48 minutes ago, ryan said:

I just got a call my from insurance adjuster. Im not to blame for the accident officially so I should be getting some money the first week of jan. Super excited, I get my van fixed(or replaced) and some cash. I might still go budget but at least ill be able to get a 3060ti build going for 1500. Im thinking a i7 14th gen and skip the gpu, save then drop cash on a 4090 suprim or hof. I would really enjoy some games at 4k, when i do get gaming I find it relaxing and somewhat enjoyable, I just have a hard time sitting down and forcing myself to continue for hours as I did when I was a teenager.

As for future proofing, when does the 5090 come out? eta? it might be smarter to just stick with a 3006ti and wait.

As for cable mod, it aggitates me reading about it because they are such A's and I can't imagine how frusturated bro @Papusan is.

Here you go... a build for every budget, bro.

https://nzxt.com/product/player-one-intel-arc-edition

image.png

• Thumb Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

just checked out the benchmarks for a770, its impressive i was not expecting 14k in timespy, so that would be perfect thanks alot. I think im going to just do it part by part afterwards slowly get that prime equip. a770 though would serve me well for quite a while. maybe I can wait till the 5090 is released vs upgrading to a 4090. thing is I want longevity my 3060 served me well for 2 years and im hoping if I drop 4k on a desktop it will last 5 years justifying the switch to desktop. if not im stuck in a endless cycle of buying garbage books and being unhappy with thermals/performance. it will take months/years untill i get the hang of it and switch to stuff like liquid cooling ect but im sure it will be rewarding.

• Thumb Up 2

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

3 hours ago, ryan said:

just checked out the benchmarks for a770, its impressive i was not expecting 14k in timespy, so that would be perfect thanks alot. I think im going to just do it part by part afterwards slowly get that prime equip. a770 though would serve me well for quite a while. maybe I can wait till the 5090 is released vs upgrading to a 4090. thing is I want longevity my 3060 served me well for 2 years and im hoping if I drop 4k on a desktop it will last 5 years justifying the switch to desktop. if not im stuck in a endless cycle of buying garbage books and being unhappy with thermals/performance. it will take months/years untill i get the hang of it and switch to stuff like liquid cooling ect but im sure it will be rewarding.

If you get a nice 360mm AIO installing it is no different that repasting the heat sink on an air cooled desktop or installing chassis fans. Even if you have never done it before, the process is simple and they usually include very clear directions.

Yeah, A770 is insanely good for $300 USD and Battlemage may put us into the 4080 performance range for $500 USD versus $1200.

I think you will find all of it easy enough. If you have replaced thermal paste or installed RAM in a laptop, it's easier than that. Basic tools and an average mechanical aptitude will be all you need. The only thing to bear in mind is if you have to use force it is an indication something doesn't fit and you need to stop and have a closer look. The "get a bigger hammer" approach does not work.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 2

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Bro, is it worth getting a i7 in the desktop area? like im more than happy with cpus on the turdbook side they never seem to be the bottleneck and perform well. I ask because the price difference isn't too bad. also I saw your post about battlemage seems to be good, if they improve drivers im pretty sure ill end up getting that over a 4090 because of cost. unless the 4090 comes down in price I dont know I feel like a yo-yo no idea what to get but im thinking i'll only truely be happy with the top components and get them one at a time vs settling with ok or good

• Thumb Up 2

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

32 minutes ago, ryan said:

Bro, is it worth getting a i7 in the desktop area? like im more than happy with cpus on the turdbook side they never seem to be the bottleneck and perform well. I ask because the price difference isn't too bad. also I saw your post about battlemage seems to be good, if they improve drivers im pretty sure ill end up getting that over a 4090 because of cost. unless the 4090 comes down in price I dont know I feel like a yo-yo no idea what to get but im thinking i'll only truely be happy with the top components and get them one at a time vs settling with ok or good

If you get a good motherboard in a pre-built you can buy it with a more affordable CPU and pick up a good second hand i9 K/KS CPU later. You do not need more than an 13th Gen i5 for gaming excellence. People will be selling their 13900KS processors once 15th Gen drops and you can probably pick up a nicely binned CPU, maybe already delidded even, for a lot less that buying it new in a pre-built or even a self-built machine.

• Thumb Up 3

3 hours ago, ryan said:

I would grab an Intel A770 100% for the GPU! And also a 14700K or 14900KF. The 14700K offers a tremendous value. It’s really a beast of a CPU and you’ll get the new APO support to help with all the frames you can get.

If you’re building your own, you can probably squeeze a 14900KF in to the budget, grab some 7200 XMP sticks as well. 

Check this out below. 

Intel i9 14900KF

MSI Z790 LGA1700 Motherboard

G.Skill 2x16GB DDR5 7200

Intel A770 GPU

2TB Gen4 M.2

(Add PSU)

(Add ATX Case)

(Add AIO Cooler)

TOTAL: $1,216

MSI budget motherboards are amazing simply put. G.Skill ram is also a solid choice for a stable and functioning XMP profiles from the get go. Gen4 M.2’s are worth the small expense over a Gen3 M.2. You more than double the speeds at a small extra cost. I do not think Gen5 M.2 is worth it at all lol. 

IMG-3110.png

• Thumb Up 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Bump 1

13900KF

ok im all in. 😛

Im definitely buying a desktop first week of jan. so much variety. im excited ill take 50 percent up over my 3060 laptop. I was wondering should I go all out on a PSU ?? i'll be overclocking

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

2 minutes ago, ryan said:

ok im all in. 😛

Im definitely buying a desktop first week of jan. so much variety. im excited ill take 50 percent up over my 3060 laptop. I was wondering should I go all out on a PSU ?? i'll be overclocking

Id grab one of those EVGA 1000GT’s with a EVGA coupon code. Pretty cheap and good enough unit! You may experience coil whine, or maybe not. But it will be 100% reliable. 

Unless there is another option better quality for cheaper. You can build a beast though man!!! Desktops are AWESOME. 

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 2

13900KF

yeah im starting to get excited. it will be nice having 70 percent more performance and 16gb vram. I game at 4k and the vram will help for sure. going to be cool seeing the cinebench beastly scores. I think its a good time to buy as a few good games will be coming out in 2024. SW outlaws and GTA VI. a few titles left to play from previous years lol 400 plus that I own. ahh well this is great I had no idea about the a770, didn't think it would be that cheap was thinking a 700 buck card.

im thinking 1000w and a770 for sure, cpu will likely be an i7. ram I have 64gb and its pointless I never even hit like 10gb even with 50 0000 000 tabs open and I think 32gb is more than enough. as for the case I like the idea of seeing in so it will likely be glass on the side. it will be interesting to see what a budget build is capable of

As for bro @Mr. Fox's prebuilt recommendation, now that is a sweet deal and is literally perfect for my needs. but as @Etern4lmentioned building is half the fun, ive never built a desktop so i dont know but ill take your word for it. I plan on using it for 4k/60 or 4k/120 older games. actually thats another upside. I have a 4k/120 tv and now ill be able to play all my games at 4k/120 unlike the 60fps as before. now im stoked. I will re play horizon 5.

• Thumb Up 2

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

22 minutes ago, ryan said:

ok im all in. 😛

20 minutes ago, tps3443 said:

Id grab one of those EVGA 1000GT’s with a EVGA coupon code. Pretty cheap and good enough unit! You may experience coil whine, or maybe not. But it will be 100% reliable. 

Unless there is another option better quality for cheaper. You can build a beast though man!!! Desktops are AWESOME. 

I would avoid EVGA PSUs. Rather look if you can find an used or new Corsair HX1500i for cheap. Or the revised model with ATX 3.0 specs. The nice thing with Corsair.... They still haven't jumped on the 12VHPWR connector hype train for the PSU panel. And you get loads of 8-pins connectors. The new and more modern models barely fit in 5 of them. Some even come with only 3 or 4 of the 8-pins connectors.

Avoiding EVGA come from many reasons. You don't know if they are here the next 3 years and they have shrinked on quality and cut down on warranty. Both, is big nopes. 

• Thumb Up 2

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

PAPUSAN STRIKES BACK. lol. you guys are all set on what you like. I don't need to be super picky i'll save that for later on once things settle with my desktop building. can't wait, ill likely end up getting 7200mhz ddr5 ram thats another important component. @Papusan bro what would you get for your first build? i9 i7 i5>? do you think its going to make a difference at 4k?

also everything needs to be RGB for the slightly more performance you get when it lights up green/pink. this is another important factor I want to be able to switch from dark pink to light baby blue on the fly so I can game better and get higher frames. 😛

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

28 minutes ago, ryan said:

As for bro @Mr. Fox's prebuilt recommendation, now that is a sweet deal and is literally perfect for my needs. but as @Etern4lmentioned building is half the fun, ive never built a desktop so i dont know but ill take your word for it. I plan on using it for 4k/60 or 4k/120 older games. actually thats another upside. I have a 4k/120 tv and now ill be able to play all my games at 4k/120 unlike the 60fps as before. now im stoked. I will re play horizon 5.

The NZXT recommendation looks pretty cool, as far as prebuilts go, however, I did immediately notice a couple of issues which highlight the caveats of buying a prebuilt, even from a "performance" brand such as NZXT:

STORAGE

• Model:Product brand may vary

• Capacity:500GB

• Form Factor:NVMe M.2 SSD

That wouldn't be acceptable to me personally. 

POWER

• Model:SFX 650W Gold

• Wattage:650 W

• Form Factor:SFX

• Rating:80+ Gold

I'm not sure what this PSU model is. Google suggested it could be some CoolerMaster stuff. 650W won't support an upgrade to a beefier GPU.

The case in general looks a bit on the smaller side, which something that may or may not suit you, but generally smaller cases will exhibit worse thermals. Doesn't look like the case would support a 360 AIO, and you would definitely want that.

https://nzxt.com/product/h5-flow

• Thumb Up 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

5 minutes ago, ryan said:

PAPUSAN STRIKES BACK. lol. you guys are all set on what you like. I don't need to be super picky i'll save that for later on once things settle with my desktop building. can't wait, ill likely end up getting 7200mhz ddr5 ram thats another important component. @Papusan bro what would you get for your first build? i9 i7 i5>? do you think its going to make a difference at 4k?

I think it doesn't matter much with weaker GPUs. Buy the i9 if you know you'll get an 4090 within short time. 4080 is overpriced so that card shouldn't you touch for now. But as bro Fox said.... Maybe buy an i5 now and grab a cheap i9 once the 15th gen is out. Or see if the difference in price isn't that big between i5 or i9 when you start buying parts.. 

• Thumb Up 1
  • Thanks 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

yeah Bro @Mr. Fox probably had that I would be upgrading down the line(ssd/ram ect) its mainly the savings that caught my eye and when I saw a770's performance on 3dmark i was taken back. he knows me well and knows im not an enthusiast kinda guy, I rarely buy the best even though I want it, their pleasure in getting a mid range gpu/cpu to upper/mid range performance(stock)

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

4 minutes ago, Papusan said:

I think it doesn't matter much with weaker GPUs. Buy the i9 if you know you'll get an 4090 within short time. 4080 is overpriced so that card shouldn't you touch for now. But as bro Fox said.... Maybe buy an i5 now and grab a cheap i9 once the 15th gen is out. Or see if the difference in price isn't that big between i5 or i9 when you start buying parts.. 

I think I might jump on the a770 prebuilt, id save like 600usd and get the same gaming experience. with the money I save I can buy a monitor and desk/chair. turn my 2nd bedroom into a tech cave

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

2 hours ago, Etern4l said:

The case in general looks a bit on the smaller side, which something that may or may not suit you, but generally smaller cases will exhibit worse thermals. Doesn't look like the case would support a 360 AIO, and you would definitely want that.

Yup. Hence I went with the bigger H7 Flow for my son. More space is better than lack of space. You never know what you'll put in later. 

jtmBECq.jpg

The build for my son.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Etern4l said:

The NZXT recommendation looks pretty cool, as far as prebuilts go, however, I did immediately notice a couple of issues which highlight the caveats of buying a prebuilt, even from a "performance" brand such as NZXT:

STORAGE

• Model:Product brand may vary

• Capacity:500GB

• Form Factor:NVMe M.2 SSD

That wouldn't be acceptable to me personally. 

POWER

• Model:SFX 650W Gold

• Wattage:650 W

• Form Factor:SFX

• Rating:80+ Gold

I'm not sure what this PSU model is. Google suggested it could be some CoolerMaster stuff. 650W won't support an upgrade to a beefier GPU.

NZXT has their own PSUs (good quality) and their own mobos.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

@ryan I’d carefully shop and buy the best parts you can. I fire sold my 13900KS for $375 lol. Anyways, you can find similar deals on other parts just like this. 

It takes time and searching constantly, but you can make that $1,500 really stretch to a Retail equivalent $2,000+ or maybe even more 🙂

• Thumb Up 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3
  • Bump 1

13900KF

22 hours ago, Papusan said:

How big will the loss be if Cablemod now have to refund +100.000 angled adapters? Each adapter costs minimum $29.99 USD. And what with the shipping costs? You never got what you paid for. Will be fun see what pops up. I would claim all money back. Also for the shipping. 

Could be the recall will cost Cablemod $95 USD for each damn adapter. Jayz say at least 50.000 units. If we talk about 100.000 adapters this may cost them close to $10 millions USD. Thats a lot of money. Even half the amount as etch the suggested 50.000 adapters will cost them. Then you have the brand damage. That come also at a price. Will most of this be covered by insurance (if they have Product Recall Insurance)? @Mr. Fox Or are they doomed to take a huge loss?

• Thumb Up 2
  • Bump 1

35 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Could be the recall will cost Cablemod $95 USD for each damn adapter. Jayz say at least 50.000 units. If we talk about 100.000 adapters this may cost them close to $10 millions USD. Thats a lot of money. Even half the amount as etch the suggested 50.000 adapters will cost them. Then you have the brand damage. That come also at a price. Will most of this be covered by insurance? @Mr. Fox Or are they doomed to take a huge loss?

They may have product liability insurance, but even if they do it may not have adequate limits and I do not know if recalls are covered if an actual loss has not occurred. There may be coverage for cost of loss prevention. Without having policy language to examine it is impossible to know. They could end up going out of business over this.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

They may have product liability insurance, but even if they do it may not have adequate limits and I do not know if recalls are covered if am actual loss has not occurred. There may be coverage for cost of loss prevention. Without having policy language to examine it is impossible to know. They could end up going out of business over this.

Maybe the reason they gambled on the v1.1 saved their assss. At least to reduce the huge loss. They had their golden chance to stop this before it become too late. But I expect they was afraid for the problems that would occur. The same would happen if they stopped offer angled adapters after the v1.0 failure. The loss would be there anyhow. 

See also... The problem is that, even if you have adequate insurance, the product recall service won’t be a smooth ride. You’ll still be required to deal with a wealth of regulatory issues and to engage regularly with your insurers – all while trying to work out what went wrong on the first place.

It’s not enough to simply have product recall insurance. Should you ever need to make a claim, your insurers are unlikely to offer you any advice or guidance. This is likely to make the process even more stressful than it should be, and as a result, you may not receive everything you’re entitled to.

What Does Product Recall Insurance Cover? 

And I think not all product liability insurances products will cover everything. This mess will hurt them bad.

Proper QC cost money. Same if you use quality parts. But if you shrink on everything it may cost you even more. Greed can sometimes bite you in your butt. 

• Thumb Up 3

31 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Maybe the reason they gambled on the v1.1 saved their assss. At least to reduce the huge loss. They had their golden chance to stop this before it become too late. But I expect they was afraid for the problems that would occur. The same would happen if they stopped offer angled adapters after the v1.0 failure. The loss would be there anyhow. 

See also... The problem is that, even if you have adequate insurance, the product recall service won’t be a smooth ride. You’ll still be required to deal with a wealth of regulatory issues and to engage regularly with your insurers – all while trying to work out what went wrong on the first place.

It’s not enough to simply have product recall insurance. Should you ever need to make a claim, your insurers are unlikely to offer you any advice or guidance. This is likely to make the process even more stressful than it should be, and as a result, you may not receive everything you’re entitled to.

What Does Product Recall Insurance Cover? 

And I think not all product liability insurances products will cover everything. This mess will hurt them bad.

Proper QC cost money. Same if you use quality parts. But if you shrink on everything it may cost you even more. 

And, all of this because NVIDIA needed a stupid new connector just to be different. Another example of newer is not always better and if it ain't broke don't fix it being common sense.

Had they stuck with the tried and true 8-pin connector, none of this would have happened. They should share in the loss and be held equally liable and accountable. It was an unnecessary change. They created the need for right-angle adapters due to bulk and space constraints and provided chintzy pigtail adapters that look like crap and do not resolve the issue of space constraints with cases lacking clearance for a straight connection protruding from the GPU to an excessive degree. The entire conception of it is an engineering abortion and it is their fault for creating a legitimate need for third-party remediation.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

And, all of this because NVIDIA needed a stupid new connector just to be different. Another example of newer is not always better and if it ain't broke don't fix it being common sense.

Had they stuck with the tried and true 8-pin connector, none of this would have happened. They should share in the loss and be held equally liable and accountable. It was an unnecessary change. They created the need for right-angle adapters due to bulk and space constraints and provided chintzy pigtail adapters that look like crap and do not resolve the issue of space constraints with cases lacking clearance for a straight connection protruding from the GPU to an excessive degree. The entire conception of it is an engineering abortion and it is their fault for creating a legitimate need for third-party remediation.

You can also blame PCI-Sig and the engineers for this. They could have done a better job. And they didn’t have to make the power connector so damn tiny. They could have pushed nvidia to accept a slightly bigger 12+4 power connector. 50% bigger would have made a big difference paired with better and more secure design. A more heavy hook and latch with the same tiny designed connector that locks the connection would also help. You can barely hear the locking. Sometimes you don’t even hear it. 

• Thumb Up 3

12 hours ago, Papusan said:

I would avoid EVGA PSUs. Rather look if you can find an used or new Corsair HX1500i for cheap. Or the revised model with ATX 3.0 specs. The nice thing with Corsair.... They still haven't jumped on the 12VHPWR connector hype train for the PSU panel. And you get loads of 8-pins connectors. The new and more modern models barely fit in 5 of them. Some even come with only 3 or 4 of the 8-pins connectors.

Avoiding EVGA come from many reasons. You don't know if they are here the next 3 years and they have shrinked on quality and cut down on warranty. Both, is big nopes. 

Yes I got the hx1500i with the atx 3.0 spec. Love it, plenty of Power and silent, also the 12hpwr cable from corsair is well build. Almost 1 year no problems  with it.

• Thumb Up 3
  • Like 2

7950X3D| Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo| MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi| Lian Li Galahad 360 V2| 32GB Kingston Renegade RGBZ 6000|Kingston KC3000 2TB| Fury Renegade 2TB|Samsung 970 Evo 1TB| Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo| Corsair HX1500i| Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo

Asus Zephyrus G15 (Ryzen 9 6900HS + RTX3080)