Jump to content
NotebookTalk

Alienware 18 upgrade to 980m SLI issue


Recommended Posts

i did this upgrade a year ago and i experienced this issue that time but then i lost my motherboard so i let it go however a few weeks back i replaced my motherboard and restored the machine , fresh installed every thing and again i experienced the same issue ! 

 

the issue is this... once i install NVidia driver the desktop wallpaper in-print in any app that i open. i attached an image to demonstrate this.

 

 

has anyone came across this issue with this upgrade or with any other driver or GPU ?

 

here is what i did to diagnose :

- install older driver , new driver and microsoft recommended driver.  the issue remains.

- disable the SLI  the issue remains.

- replace the screen with another one from my friend Alienware 18.  the issue remains.

- reflash the bios with the stock one.

 

i'm running UEFI on the unlocked bios A12

 

 

 

20230311_110931.jpg

20230311_110947.jpg

Alienware M18X R1, i7 2960XM @ 4.4Ghz, Nvidia GTX 880M SLI , 32GB RAM , samsung 840pro + samsung 860evo ( THE BEST I EVER HAVE)

Alienware Area-51M R1, i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz, Nvidia RTX 2080, 64GB RAM, samsung 980 Pro( LOVELY MACHINE WITH BAD BIOS )

Alienware 18 , I7 4930MX @ 4.2Ghz , GTX 980M SLI, 32GB RAM ( MAY REST IN PEACE)   (CAME BACK TO LIFE) 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Weird. First time I've ever seen this. I also have an 980m SLI. Mine is a m18x R2 though. Seems the problem is following the GPUs. Maybe Since you disabled SLI and the problem  is there, maybe the GPU in slot one has the problem. 

 

Swap them maybe, or flash a different vbios. Flash the one from DELL to see if that makes a difference

  • Thumb Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

thanks @Jerryzagoi did swap the cards between the first and the second slot . i also tried one card only.  the second card in the first slot with the second slot empty . the same issue .

i also used the official dell vbios for the SLI setup ( 2 different bios ) same issue . 

its realy weird ...

i noticed my card missing some items here is a picture to compare it to urs if u have a picture .... ( look at the chips at the left side of the picture)

20220806_122201.jpg

  • Thumb Up 1

Alienware M18X R1, i7 2960XM @ 4.4Ghz, Nvidia GTX 880M SLI , 32GB RAM , samsung 840pro + samsung 860evo ( THE BEST I EVER HAVE)

Alienware Area-51M R1, i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz, Nvidia RTX 2080, 64GB RAM, samsung 980 Pro( LOVELY MACHINE WITH BAD BIOS )

Alienware 18 , I7 4930MX @ 4.2Ghz , GTX 980M SLI, 32GB RAM ( MAY REST IN PEACE)   (CAME BACK TO LIFE) 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe try another OS. Try running Ubuntu from CD or even Chrome Flex OS and see if the problem persists. Both of the can run without installing them to your hard drive. I belive you have made a clean install to the drivers with DDU, prior installing anything?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Try windows 7, 8.1, 11 and se if issue exists. 

980m sli is officially supported on aw18 

Alienware m18             : Intel Core i9 13900HX                  | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090    | K1675 | 2x1TB SSDs 

Alienware Area-51M : Intel Core i9-9900K @ 5.3Ghz    | nVidia GeForce RTX 2080    | AX210 | Samsung 970 Evo+ 
Alienware X14 R1 :       Intel Core i7 12700H 12th-Gen   | nVidia GeForce RTX 3060    | AX411 | SK Hynix 2TB PCIe4 
Alienware M18x R2 :    Intel Core i7 3920XM @ 4.7Ghz | nVidia Quadro RTX 3000     | AX210 | Samsung 980 PRO   
Clevo X170SM-G:         Intel Core i7 10700K @ Stock     | nVidia GeForce RTX 2070S | AX210 | 256GB+2x512GB 

M14x (555m) | M14xR2 (650m) | M15x (980m) | M17xR3 (880m) | M18xR1 (880m SLI) | 18 R1 (RTX 3000)


CS Studios YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/CSStudiosYT 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does it do this too on an external display?

 

 

Electrosoft Prime: 12900k | Asus Z690 Strix D4 | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420mm AIO | G.Skill 4133 2x16GB B-Die G1 | Samsung 980 1TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Samsung G9 43" 4k mLED

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Gne 512GB
Heath: i3-12100f | Asrock B660M Pro RS | Asus Strix 3080  | 32GB Klex 3600mhz  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | HP ZR30w 30" 2560x1600 IPS

MelMel: i5-12500 | Asus Prime B660 | Asus KO RTX 3070 | 32GB G.Skill 3333 |  512GB M.2 | Gamdias | Dell 25" 240hz 1080p

 

 


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

i tried the external monitor ( TV) 

On 3/11/2023 at 10:40 PM, Jerryzago said:

Maybe try another OS. Try running Ubuntu from CD or even Chrome Flex OS and see if the problem persists. Both of the can run without installing them to your hard drive. I belive you have made a clean install to the drivers with DDU, prior installing anything?

 

good idea i tried garuda since i'm familiar with it and the shadows disappeared!!! which means its a driver issue ( i guess its one of nvidia options that needs to be disabled or enabled )  anyone have any idea where i start ? 

 

  yes driver installation was done after DDU cleanup on safe mode

 

On 3/12/2023 at 2:24 AM, ssj92 said:

Try windows 7, 8.1, 11 and se if issue exists. 

980m sli is officially supported on aw18 

 

this issue shows on windows 10 and 11 both

 

23 hours ago, electrosoft said:

Does it do this too on an external display?

 

 

i just tried the external display (TV) using HDMI and its also there on the TV which means its related to the data which is transmitted from the GPU somehow ....

  • Thumb Up 1

Alienware M18X R1, i7 2960XM @ 4.4Ghz, Nvidia GTX 880M SLI , 32GB RAM , samsung 840pro + samsung 860evo ( THE BEST I EVER HAVE)

Alienware Area-51M R1, i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz, Nvidia RTX 2080, 64GB RAM, samsung 980 Pro( LOVELY MACHINE WITH BAD BIOS )

Alienware 18 , I7 4930MX @ 4.2Ghz , GTX 980M SLI, 32GB RAM ( MAY REST IN PEACE)   (CAME BACK TO LIFE) 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, i.bakar said:

good idea i tried garuda since i'm familiar with it and the shadows disappeared!!! which means its a driver issue ( i guess its one of nvidia options that needs to be disabled or enabled )  anyone have any idea where i start ? 

 

  yes driver installation was done after DDU cleanup on safe mode

As I said, I haven't got this issue, and possibly we are the only ones to still run SLI systems, I can only say that now I have 512.95 version. Perhaps try this version instead?

 

I am running Prema Vbios, But I also had Dell Vbios from the Alienware 18 model and never had this issue.

 

So maybe trying the 512.95 version to see if the problem is there?

 

Or maybe the last supported driver for our systems 419.17?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Jerryzago said:

As I said, I haven't got this issue, and possibly we are the only ones to still run SLI systems, I can only say that now I have 512.95 version. Perhaps try this version instead?

 

I am running Prema Vbios, But I also had Dell Vbios from the Alienware 18 model and never had this issue.

 

So maybe trying the 512.95 version to see if the problem is there?

 

Or maybe the last supported driver for our systems 419.17?

i tried drivers from 336. something upto 528. something and the only driver that doesn't Couse this is the 336 but this driver doesn't support GPU rendering on V-ray 3ds max

which after doing some digging it turs out this is because the lack of CUDA support for this driver so theoretically this means that CUDA driver is the couse od the issue but after trying linux with nvidia 525 driver ( which support CUDA ) i'm not sure anymore and i'm more confused.... 

Alienware M18X R1, i7 2960XM @ 4.4Ghz, Nvidia GTX 880M SLI , 32GB RAM , samsung 840pro + samsung 860evo ( THE BEST I EVER HAVE)

Alienware Area-51M R1, i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz, Nvidia RTX 2080, 64GB RAM, samsung 980 Pro( LOVELY MACHINE WITH BAD BIOS )

Alienware 18 , I7 4930MX @ 4.2Ghz , GTX 980M SLI, 32GB RAM ( MAY REST IN PEACE)   (CAME BACK TO LIFE) 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, i.bakar said:

i tried drivers from 336. something upto 528. something and the only driver that doesn't Couse this is the 336 but this driver doesn't support GPU rendering on V-ray 3ds max

which after doing some digging it turs out this is because the lack of CUDA support for this driver so theoretically this means that CUDA driver is the couse od the issue but after trying linux with nvidia 525 driver ( which support CUDA ) i'm not sure anymore and i'm more confused.... 

Try doing a DDU and intalling the 336 driver. After this do an upgrade without clean install to the latest driver and see what will get you.

 

I updated mine from NVinstall to the latest 531 and it seems to work ok.

 

Could be a hardware problem though...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use